The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Canes Need to Get Meaner

This toughness thing is starting to get annoying. Detroit's a great team and they have barely dropped the gloves this year. Teams don't take runs at them because they make you pay on the resulting powerplay. Even if we did have a Mike Tyson on skates the other player would just turtle or wrestle him down, unless Lavi turns his back and a line brawl ensues. Just my two cents. I'd love to hear from players if they really tone down their game because a George Laraque is behind the boards.

:rolleyes:

Cheapshots happen. It's a sport where it's going to happen a lot, mostly because there are players out there that are willing to play with that extra edge.

Now, Cherry's partly right. If we had a team built like Anaheim, where all of their players are 6' plus, but not exactly the fastest team in the league, then we'd likely wide up with lesser cheapshots than we face now. But unless we want to rebuild the team from scratch, that's not going to happen. We're a team based around speed, and usually the faster players are the smaller ones.

And for all that is holy, will people stop claiming that having an enforcer will prevent cheapshots? It won't. The Penguins had a problem, because Crosby was constantly being hit with borderline dirty hits. They bring in Laraque, and.....Crosby continued to be hit with cheapshots. Why doesn't he get hit as often as he used to? It's because he's skilled enough to play around them and avoid those situations.

Brookbank is a waste of a roster spot. He has not prevented head shots. No one is afraid of him. He has harldly fought at all. He doesn't lay big hits on people. Most of the cheap shot artists don't drop the gloves and fight anyway. The team has to respond as a team, not one guy who is never on the ice. Bring up a scraper who can skate and hit and drop the gloves if needed, Conboy perhaps.

Agree completely with Cherry. The team has a few players that stand up for teammates (Gleason and Walker come to mind first) and of course Brookbank who is a marginal fighter IMO. The problem for me is that most of the rest of the team won't fight either because of size issues or what I call "Lady Byng mentalities".

Nothing wrong with being a nice guy but for me the team's response to these headshots has been sorely lacking. Every Canes player on the ice should have been in Orpik - Orr - Weight's face after the headshots.

Maybe a tough enforcer won't deter the cheapshots but a tougher response from the whole team more consistently - would deter some.

I don't understand Lavi's anti fight stance - can anybody explain it to me?

Actually, teams do try to play physical against Detroit to slow them down. We tried to do that when we played them earlier this season.

Good point, but they made us pay with two power play points. Thats the difference I was trying to show. It stopped our physical play because they made us pay on the power play.

Brookbank is a waste of a roster spot. He has not prevented head shots. No one is afraid of him. He has harldly fought at all. He doesn't lay big hits on people. Most of the cheap shot artists don't drop the gloves and fight anyway. The team has to respond as a team, not one guy who is never on the ice. Bring up a scraper who can skate and hit and drop the gloves if needed, Conboy perhaps.

I agree on the Conboy call. I love the guy. Brookbank is a waste. I also agree that Orr, Weight, Orpik and Moreau all should have been accosted and at the very least rushed by the guys on the ice during that shift and then at least challenged to a fight by whatever person wants to be the enforcer that night. Enough of this wimpy *edit*.

Speed and skill are getting their collective *edit* handed to themselves.

Grapes is an idiot. He's also the same guy that said Sutter deserved what he got b/c he had his head down. Now he's saying Sutter got hit b/c we aren't tough enough. The guy just needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut.

Why not give Trevor Gillies a shot up with the Canes. He has been playing decent up to this point down here with us. And lord knows he will drop the gloves. And he is good at it.

Why not give Trevor Gillies a shot up with the Canes. He has been playing decent up to this point down here with us. And lord knows he will drop the gloves. And he is good at it.

Wondered that myself. Seems to be more "balls to the wall" than Brookbank.

Agreed. Trevor probably is a greater liability skating then Brookbank or Conboy. However, there is no doubt who the better fighter is.

Gillies is a class act, and when the gloves hit the ice he can hold his own.

Agreed. Trevor probably is a greater liability skating then Brookbank or Conboy. However, there is no doubt who the better fighter is.

The thing that has worried me about Conboy latley is his temper. First off he has taken alot of bad penaltys this season. And his temper has been getting the better of him. Last season during the playoffs he got himself suspended. And again a few weeks ago now I do not blame he had a fight which got him a game misconduct. I do not blame him for haveing the fight because he fought Steve Downie who had highsticked Nick Dodge on purpose right near Dodge's eye. And Tim was just going nuts and the linesmen got in to break up the fight and Conboy would not stop. I was sure he was going to get suspended again. And like I said he has been taken alot of bad penaltys so far this season. And we need him on the ice more than we need him in the penalty box.

The thing that has worried me about Conboy latley is his temper. First off he has taken alot of bad penaltys this season. And his temper has been getting the better of him. Last season during the playoffs he got himself suspended. And again a few weeks ago now I do not blame he had a fight which got him a game misconduct. I do not blame him for haveing the fight because he fought Steve Downie who had highsticked Nick Dodge on purpose right near Dodge's eye. And Tim was just going nuts and the linesmen got in to break up the fight and Conboy would not stop. I was sure he was going to get suspended again. And like I said he has been taken alot of bad penaltys so far this season. And we need him on the ice more than we need him in the penalty box.

Thanks for the update Max. I was wondering what issues were surrounding Conboy because he played well here last year when he was up.

Thanks for the update Max. I was wondering what issues were surrounding Conboy because he played well here last year when he was up.
It is not that he is really playing bad with us this season. Just taking alot of bad penaltys. And letting his temper get the best of him. When he is on the ice and just playing he is doing a great job. Just needs to stop taking the dumb penaltys.

It is not that he is really playing bad with us this season. Just taking alot of bad penaltys. And letting his temper get the best of him. When he is on the ice and just playing he is doing a great job. Just needs to stop taking the dumb penaltys.

I wonder if he's frustrated that he's not here. He played well last season but seems to be the odd man out this season when others are geting called up.

conboy was great last year, brookbank has been a waste. bring back tim.

Don't really care what Cherry has to say about it. We already know Brookbank has to make more of a presence on the ice than he has this season. He needs to be hitting people in the boards every shift he is out there; not to injure the other team but to send a message.

As far as the entire team standing up for a player when he is hit, to whoever said that, I totally agree. But also consider the number of injuries we've had; the guys are just desensitized to it. It's virtually a normal, routine occurence for a guy to go down because an open-ice hit, a dirty hit, or whatever. They've got to clear their heads of the past before they'll be able to respond to cheapshots, and it starts with Brookbank announcing his arrival to the game with his first shift (hitting). He's huge - he needs to use that body of his.

Did anyone else notice Macintyre (don't know if that's correct) yapping at Brookbank before a faceoff during the Oilers game? It was toward the beginning of the first period and the face off was in the Oilers zone. Macintyre probably would've destroyed Brookbank (check out some of his fights on youtube) but I'm beginning to wonder if the coaching staff has to give him "permission" of sorts to fight.

I admit, I'm probably not up to speed with hockey culture, but I'm not sure why folks think someone should have gone after Moreau. Wasn't he just doing what everyone says is important to do - stand up for a teammate? Sure, he "attacked" Ruutu - that's why he got the instigator. But it's not like he blindsided him. And certainly Ruutu knew that was coming after his hit on Grebeshkov. Although if standing up for teammate after a hit like that puts a target on your back, I can understand why we don't see more of it from the 'Canes.

To begin with, Grapes is just a gigantic air bag only on CBC for entertainment purposes. He lacks substance when he speaks and ofter goes off on tangents about nothing. Give him a hat and a gun and he would be a perfect "stunt double" to Elmer Fudd. That being said, coaches corner is must see TV because Cherry is a loose cannon.

I found it funny on Saturday when Brookbank had a rebound pop right out on his stick and put it about 5 feet wide from right out in front of the goal. His reaction was like, "*edit* what am I supposed to do with this thing?" I don't like wasting a roster spot on a goon that can't contribute more than just the token first period fight with team "B's" goon. I would preffer to see a couple players with a little better skill set who are scrappers and may not be the heavyweights, but can contribute on the ice. However, this is he direction that the fanchise has gone and they are the professionals so I can live with that.

And Downie derserves to get bitten. He is a punk.

What is lost in all of the whining about our toughness is that people did go after Colton Orr (Commodore), Doug Weight (Wallin), and Brooks Orpik (Staal, Hedican). Commodore was the only one to actually get to Orr since quite frankly, the Rangers don't mind seeing Orr in a dustup as long as he's not triple teamed. The reality is that both teams see a cheap shot, and unfortunately, since one of the Canes is taken out of the play, it ends up being a 4 on 5 scrum (Not to mention refs getting in the way). With the exception of the Letowski hit, our team has answered the call immediately, but the numbers game often works against them.

I think everyone expects "toughness" to be immediately getting a pound of flesh. Reality is you sometimes have to use discretion. I'm sure that once Sutter recovers, he himself will deal with Weight, the way Cole did Orpik. But you have a job to do and you can't be hellbent on revenge. (Remember when Jason Doig kneed Kevyn Adams and the Canes spent the rest of the season against the Caps taking runs at Doig and losing miserably.)