The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CCRE

Concerned About Staal?

Staal looked fantastic in his short preseason appearances and his first games. Since he took that hit he has be entirely ineffective. Last night was very bad. Staal missed 3 open nets. Two of them were somewhat difficult, but one was wide open (on the 5 on 3). I do not think it is an effort thing. This guy is playing hurt since we really have had no healthy NHL centers (if you accept that Brind'Amour is not 100%). What do we do if he is out for a prolonged period with shoulder surgery? We would have to pack it in for the year or make a big trade for a center and hope that we could grind out a decent record without him. But Brind'Amour isn't getting it done either. This is a conundrum.

Staal at least needs to rest a few games. He may need more than that.

He is clearly playing hurt. He just does NOT have that extra gear that the great ones have and that he has had. At this point he is not contributing much anyway. Get him healthy.

Man, I gotta think if our franchise player is really hurt we FOR SURE rest him and get him healthy. That is not a risk you take with a new contract like his. He may be sore, but hurt? Teams don't gamble with the future of the franchise and 10's of millions of $$$$. It's that simple.

Staal has to be hurt from that nasty hit to the shoulder. He is too good to be playing this bad. Actually, he has been getting a little better lately. Samsonov scored and hopefully that will get him started. I would love to see a nice breakaway where Staal makes a great move for a goal. That might get things started for him as well.

as far as leadership, the best leaders lead by example, his body language during his slump does not portray a leader, if hes having a hard time racking up points then he needs to do other things, back check hard, lay the body, encourage teammates. Ive seen numerous times, him being the last one caught in the offensive zone after a missed scoring opportunity and before he even begins to back check he has to pout, injury or not, unacceptable.

I'm seeing the same thing! It isn't good for the team when he does this. Last season I watched Rod do the same thing and half of the team. As a leader of the team you are responsible for the energy. When the 2nd line has good chemistry the other lines do not. We can't seem to get in sync.

Staal has to be hurt from that nasty hit to the shoulder. He is too good to be playing this bad. Actually, he has been getting a little better lately. Samsonov scored and hopefully that will get him started. I would love to see a nice breakaway where Staal makes a great move for a goal. That might get things started for him as well.

Staal has had breakway chances and done nothing with them ... no pass ... no deak ... just easy to defend (right into the goalie's gut) shots. There was some sign of life last night. He did hit the post on a nice looking shot but it really seems like this slump is really in his head now! Any psychologists on the Cane's staff?? :blink:

I totally agree this team ill be in major trouble if he can't get himself out of this. We desperately need him for us to make a run at this again!

I know i have voiced my opinion about this in another thread somewhere along the way but Eric's slump is more in his head than anywhere else (IMO)He's trying way to hard and not letting the game come to him. If he relaxes and lets his talent take over and start to have fun again i think his game will be back and everything will be fine.Yes there is alot of thinking in hockey but alot of it is total reaction and talent because the game is so fast. If your thinking about what you are doing you are behind the pace of the game. Right now Eric seems to be doing alot more thinking than he is playing with the talent he has!Putting the team on your shoulders is one thing but putting the team in your head is another.WE all saw last yr what he can do with the team on his shoulders.One good game or maybe even a couple good shifts and He could totally breakout of the slump! Hopefully sooner than later though!

There are concerns with Staal and his playing habits right now. Rumors have been gotten around about him not being 100%. It this is the case, he needs to pull himself out for a few games since everyone is back and let things heal. He is not doing anyone any favors but continuing to play if in fact he is hurt.

With his SOG down and watching him play last night against the Canadians, I would say he has a shoulder injury or back injury. His shot just does not have the whip it usually has. He looked like he was not in the mood to play last night even though he racked up the TOI too.

Whatever it is, I hope you get over it soon, Staalsy! We need you at 99% and up!!!

just my .02 ;)

Most good players are a little streaky. He's just going through a scoring slump. He just needs to fight through this and need to contribute in other ways - play good defense, PK, win face-offs, hit, etc - until he gets out of it.

Other guys need to step up while he's in his slump. He has saved this team in the past and now its time for the other guys to save him and the team.

I guess the million dollar, or really multi-million dollar question is this. Is Staal hurt, or just in a slump?

I have no inside information, but my feeling is that he is hurt. In the few games he played before he hurt that shoulder he looked AWSOME. I really thought he looked like a 100 point kind of superstar. Since the injury, he looks like a role player. But he is getting star minutes. He is still functional, but face it, he doesn't look like a superstar. It's not like he is creating lots of great opportunities and is snake-bitten. He is just not creating very much of anything. He is just too good to look this bad if healthy.

Just a little over a week ago we had Cullen and Sutter out, and Brindy struggling. We needed bodies at center and Staal at 50% was still somewhat functional for a desperate team. Now, Cullen and Sutter have a few games under their belts, and Brind'Amour seems to be improving. If Staal has a couple more weak games, you heard it here first. There will be an announcement that Staal is going to be out for a while. Either rehab and rest, or God forbid, the knife. If this is the case JR may try to make a deal before that announcement, he would love to trade Kabs but he will be hard to trade injured. We may have to let a different defenseman go, or even another forward.

Note this is rank speculation on my part. Based on nothing but observation and a few comments dropped by Tripp and John (Staal himself said the shoulder was not right in an interview a game or two after the hit). Has Staal given an interview since then? I really hope that I am wrong and he starts coming around. If he does, look out Eastern Conference, because the rest of the team seems to be coming together.

The bitter irony is that in the long haul we need a healthy, productive Staal to compete. But the Staal we have right now is just not helping much. We are winning in spite of him.

Maybe Staal should do what Sammy did the day of the Monteral game. He put his sticks on ice. TSN showed his sticks sitting in a bucket of ice. Seemed to work for him, maybe it'll work for Staal.

Maybe Staal should do what Sammy did the day of the Monteral game. He put his sticks on ice. TSN showed his sticks sitting in a bucket of ice. Seemed to work for him, maybe it'll work for Staal.

I heard that but did not know what they were talking about. So was it the blades or handle or what? Any reasoning or superstition to it?

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Seidenburg has as many points as Staal. I know he's hurting, but we really could use him right now.

I've been a harsh critic of Staal, amongst my friends for a few years now. When he's on, he's REALLY on, when he's off, well... I'm glad Lavi had the foresight to throw him into two double shifts and for it to work both times. You could see how winded Staal was after the hat trick goal. I like the determination. Maybe Mom and Dad need to hang out in Raleigh more often! Here's to the end of the drought. Can't wait for Sunday.

Now b/c of the Hat Trick, the love fest and apologies start.

What most people fail to realize is the only difference between tonight's performance the slump he's been in is simply bounces. He has been in position to get rebounds and passes this whole time.

I really thought he played right on par with how he has been playing all year tonight - great. Tonight it showed up on the score sheet b/c of the bounces, however, he has always been in position for those bounces.

He has not always been in position for bounces. It is all about being position hes been slightly out of position tonght he played hockey and got those goals. hopefuly its a new a start!

Congrats to Eric, but I woudln't get too excited. a few lucky bounces and a goalie out of position helped his hat trick.

Gretzky was interviewed yesterday and said Eric worried him, a good player in a slump is always a threat. But he added that Eric was still doing all the little things on the ice which make him dangerous. He felt he was still playing well and his goals would be coming.

I really really really hope Staal is back. If he is, we are suddenly dangerous. I don't want to make too much of one game, but I think he really did look better, bigger stride, made a hit, just stronger on the puck. I want to see a few more games, but this was very encouraging indeed.