The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac4TrevorKidd

Trip Tracy

Tracy is Forslunds sidekick....nothing more. Im not being a homer here, but Forslund is in the top 3 color announcers in the league IMO. I think its the fact that Forslund is so passionate when he is calling the game and tracy just throws his 2 cents in from time to time. I think it wouldnt matter who would be calling with forslund.....whomever it is would annoy people because they just want to here forslund talk. Tracy does his job.

If Tripp would just "throw in his 2 cents" in instead of putting one cent in and rambling on and on while he gets his other cent ready to put in... I mean being talked to death is a terrible way to die...

I'm just waiting for the day John F. just backhands Tripp. I don't want to know about who a player is wearing or where they eat. To be honest, I hope that Ray Whitney ends up in the booth someday next to John. He's funny without being obnoxious and can offer excellent in depth color commentary.

I had the Center Ice package for the playoffs last season. After watching the many of the other announce teams, I was thrilled to have John and Tripp. John is as good as it gets. I will admit that Tripp makes me want to throw things at the TV from time to time but I do love it when John zings him and it goes right over his head (which is often).

There is a lot of time to "kill" on a hockey broadcast. The American viewer isn't used to dealing with 2 "half-times" like there is in hockey. Tripp does lighten things up a little.

Cut him some slack and go back to bashing the Storm Squad, Ron the Ref, Chad LaRose, Dancing Granny, or our sweet little National Anthem singer. I'm sure that there is someone available that we haven't piled on yet. Maybe the beer vender on the 300 level or the guy that hands out the bowls for keys and such when you enter.

Do you honestly believe Tripp would be working where he is if he wasn't a Hurricanes fan? I'm sure he starts every game like the players, hoping for 2 points. And like the players, he points out when the team is playing poorly, or when the opposing team is playing well.

Ever seen the post-game interviews when the Canes lose? The same stuff is said by the players that was said during the broadcast by Tripp. It shows he really knows his stuff.

Homers are the worst. There's nothing worse than an announcer/fan/whathaveyou that can't or won't see the flaws in the team they're cheering for. Luckily, Tripp's not one, and even if he was, Forslund's there to keep him in focus.

Thanks for reading my mind!! :)

I find how Tripp gets under peoples skin laughable. If you don't like it do not watch....Plain and Simple!
His highlight today (and John's zinger) was when he asked Scott Walker if he remembered his first NHL game and Scott told his story. Then Tripp says something like, "Yeah, I remember my first game...too bad it was the only one."

John says, "Hey, people would pay good money for the seat you had for that game!" :lol:

Then Tripp say something like he had a 'great warm-up' for that game and John digs, 'yeah, it was a great warm-up, I remember that warm-up.'

My take on Tripp: Don't underestimate the value a laugh or two adds to the entertainment value of watching the game, win or lose. You don't get that with many (any?) of the other NHL broadcast pairings.

I think Tripp has been much better these past few seasons. His analysis of plays are usually spot on. He is somewhat annoying at times and makes food references a bit too much for my taste, but don't say that he doesn't make fair assessments of the games and make good interviews. Because he certainly does. Anyone who says otherwise just hasn't been paying attention. He's not the best in the business. But he's a lot better than some of the other color commentators out there. Also, his analysis is not biased like some other team's announcers (cough cough Anaheim cough). He makes honest assessments of the plays. What more could you want?

Tripp may be a huge dork, but common. hes funny, strange and a lil out in left field. he makes it his own. Him and John have a chemisty second to none. I havent seen such commentating (sp) ever. I get a kick out of them, Tripp will make some off the wall comment and John goes ok anyways and goes on. its funny. i dont care DORKS UNITE

Don't watch? That's an excellent recipe for a team struggling to establish a stable market. Let's forward that to Canes PR!

I certainly don't consider myself at a disadvantage because I listen to Chuck K instead of the FS-C announcers, so the fact that I miss out on Tripp's latest meal will not keep me up at night. I'd guess FS-C would probably prefer I listened to their commercials, but perhaps not. I actually get to hear every goal, and don't miss any calls because Tripp is distracting John with an unrelated story. As far as the locker room details he should supposedly be providing, it isn't a coincidence that the only example given here is.. two years old.

I would guess that Tripp plays much better to the casual fan, so FS-C will almost certainly keep them together. Not every person watching wants 100% hockey talk, focused and solid, as I do.

Don't watch? That's an excellent recipe for a team struggling to establish a stable market. Let's forward that to Canes PR!

I certainly don't consider myself at a disadvantage because I listen to Chuck K instead of the FS-C announcers, so the fact that I miss out on Tripp's latest meal will not keep me up at night. I'd guess FS-C would probably prefer I listened to their commercials, but perhaps not. I actually get to hear every goal, and don't miss any calls because Tripp is distracting John with an unrelated story. As far as the locker room details he should supposedly be providing, it isn't a coincidence that the only example given here is.. two years old.

I would guess that Tripp plays much better to the casual fan, so FS-C will almost certainly keep them together. Not every person watching wants 100% hockey talk, focused and solid, as I do.

That is one way to do it, though I have personally found the lag one or the other has a whole lot more annoying than someone being funny.

While I respect Forslund for his play by play abilities. Tripp can bring one thing to their tandem that Forslund CAN NOT and that is actually being able to give a perspective on actually playing...and still being able to go out on the ice at practice occassionally and play with the big boys.

When is the last time if ever Forslund has laced up his skates in the past 10 years?

I find how Tripp gets under peoples skin laughable. If you don't like it do not watch....Plain and Simple!

No... I just turn down the sound...Plain and Simple!

Better yet, just come to the game! ;)

Or, dont watch the intermission and find something to do for 15 minutes and flip channels between faceoffs and you'll maybe hear him talk for 2 minutes the entire time.

You never miss a second if you follow then 15 minute exactly thing for the intermission, period ends at 8:42 the puck will drop at 8:57 everytimeand you come back and there ya go :)

From what I've heard of Tripp (remembered that double-T combination ;) ) on the Canes' webcasts the last few years, he's quite decent. I tend to appreciate a quieter, more analytical announcer: Those of you who've had the opportunity to listen to Bob Miller, the Kings' play-by-play TV announcer and HHOF member, know first hand that Miller -- like HOF announcer Vin Scully -- is wise enough to let the action on the ice speak for itself without any added flair on the broadcaster's part. Tripp does just that, much to his credit.

Tell you what, fellow Caniacs: I'll trade you Brent Severyn, the ever-joking Ducks' radio color announcer who sounds exactly like the Disney Goofy character, for Tripp. After enduring one week of Happy Brent at the mike, you'll pine for Tripp's return. :mellow:

Jan/GSBG

Better yet, just come to the game! ;)

I live in Roanoke, Va. and last year after about 17 games that I went to and hotel rooms, beer, food and $5000 to &6000 bucks....I think I did all that I could. I have been to 2 of the 4 this year but thanks to the great economy this year, I think I might not get to go to as many this year :( . I also spend $169 for center ice so I really do not want to hear Tracy's chatter! lol... GO CANES!

I've honestly never been bothered by Tripp. Yes, he can be a complete goofus. There are the previously alluded to food references. I guess that all the little things that make him annoying to some make him endearing to others. Well, maybe not endearing, but the chemistry between Johnny and Tripp is great and just adds to every Canes broadcast. I'll take the pairing we have over pretty much any other around the NHL.

... I'll take the pairing we have over pretty much any other around the NHL.

I'd agree, jebus: Forslund and Tracy are a strong pair.

Regarding my earlier comment about Brent Severyn, the Ducks' radio color guy who sounds like Goofy: I realized that plenty of you have never heard what the vintage Disney dog sounds like. Just in case some of you aren't familiar with the cartoon canine's melodic voice, you can hear it on these Disney shorts. (The first is especially fitting, since it's about hockey. ;) )

Jan/GSBG

As far as Trip Tracy goes, in today's era of polished talking heads, he's unpolished but 100% authentic. Forslund is the more polished of the two which works well against Trip's goofiness. They are a strong team and make watching the games enjoyable. I grew up watching Phil Rizzuto do his thing on WPIX in New York and never tired of his "Rizzuto-ness." Sure, Trip isn't bound for ESPN anytime soon, but he's perfect for us. Homers can get tiresome, but would the Sabres get rid of Rick Jeanneret? The Phillies, Harry Kalas? Trip's not in a league with Jeanneret and Kalas, but he's unique to the Canes, and that makes him great.

I LOVE Tripper! Just wish he'd stop and sign my jerseys instead of speeding off...John is always great!

I think he and John go together like mac and cheese...

Hey...a food reference!

LOL I actually asked John one day after a game "Why the hell does Tripp never stop? Tell him he has fans and want his signature on our jerseys" He said he wasn't sure so I asked him to call Tripp out on the air. Of course that never happened but someone needs to tell him to STOP! He's the only one in the booth i don't have!