The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
section110

MVP's and Disappointments

I dont see how you can be disapointed with Williams when he has yet to play a single game... I understand you are disappointed he is out, but thats different then being disappointed in his level of play.

MVPs.

Gleason - Dropped the gloves earlier in the season and made his presence felt.. has saved many goals with his blocks and sweeping out of rebounds.. may not show up on the scoresheet but one of our best defensemen early. Throw in 7 assists and boy is he contributing on both sides of the ice.

Siedenburg - Again.. stellar defensmen, as mentioned above.

Ward - Regardless of a few bad outings, he has won many games for us we shouldnt have, and now that he is on a roll the team has picked up it's intensity as well...

Disappoinments:

Staal - Not sure whats going on here, he is fighting hard and trying hard, I wont begrudge him that, and he is trying to carry the team on his shoulders... but something is gotten into Staal's head.. he's trying to be more physical and hit more, which has only led to him taking a lot of penalties, and his shot is off, he passes on 2 on 1s when he should shoot, he rings em off the post or sails em high... Staal needs to relax and just let the game come to him.. especially now that other guys are scoring.. the pressure should be off.

Brind'amour - I'm not disappointed with the -13 or a percieved lack of effort, with 7 goals and 8 assists, and a 20% scoring percent (7 goals on only 35 shots) he's obviously working hard.. 2nd on the team in scoring. My disappointment with Roddy is the same as Staal's, he's trying to do TOO much, trying to carry the team when he obviously is not 100% healed on the knee, I'd love to see him take a break... play 4th line or something cut down his ice time.. if he wasnt on the ice for EVERY critical faceoff in our zone he wouldnt be -13.. 2G 1A and 0 +/- in his last 4 games, hopefully this is a sign of improvement.

Eaves - I agree.. where has this guy been? He's invisible on the ice.. Notched an assist in the MTL game, but otherwise scoreless in his last 5 (with some missed games with the injury) only 3 assists on the season... needs to contribute, especially if he expects playing time on the 2nd or 3rd line with Brindamour like he was to start the season. I was sketchy on the trade last year, with the shoulder inury and not playing for us (like what? 3 games?) and last year Corvo took up the slack, and he's doing the same this year, but was Corvo alone worth Stillman and Commodore? Eh.. dunno. This guy better produce. Ottawa looks like a fool now for giving away Stillman who is lighting it up for Florida (before a NJ player tried to kill him), but we gave him up to Ottawa.. so....

Nic Wallin isn't on your list of MVPs? :angry:

You would need 5 or 6 MVP's to list what all our DMen have meant this year... Gleason, Corvo, Sieds, Pitkanen and Wallin are all having stellar years. :)

Now that the season is almost 25% over, what are you 3 choices for MVP and what are the 3 players that you are disappointed with.

MVP's

1. Ruutu - consistant physicality and scoring threat

2&3 Seidenberg and Wallin. They are both playing at a higher level this year.

Biggest Disappointments

1. Staal - his twelve game goal scoring slump and nine games without a point is starting to overshadow his efforts. Except the Habs game, he has been very selfish and foolish trying to do it all himself.

2. Eaves - no highlight chances or efforts. He doesn't deserve more TOI at this time.

3. Sammy - I'm not disappointed with his effort but his 17 game long scoring slump.

My 3 MVP choices are Ruutu, Ruutu, and Ruutu. J.R. needs to sign this guy beyond this season. This guy looks to make contact and is a scoring threat. I love to watch this guy play. It's not like I have a "man crush" on him or anything, but he is dreamy. Wait, was that some kind of Freudian slip?

As far disappointments, I'd have to go with Staal, Samsonov, and Eaves. I like all three, but all three need to be showing up more on the score sheet.

My comments..

MVPs

1. Dennis Sidenberg - the most consistent guy on the defensive end of things and is doing good things on the power play.

2. Cam Ward - has single handidly won games for us. Looks to be having his best season of his career.

3. Tuumo Ruutu - In order for this team to succeed, a guy like him had to step up. He is and has once again proved JR's brillance as he is a better fit for this team than Andrew Ladd.

4. Nick Wallin - Having a great year on both ends of the ice.

Positive Surpirses

1. Brandon Sutter - The 4th center looked to be a problem this year pre-season and I didn't know he was going to be ready to play in the NHL. He clearly is and is doing a dynamite job on the PK.

2. Ryan Bayda - He is showing he can skate every night at the NHL level

3. Chad LaRose - 2 2 goal games - making a contrubution on the scoreboard, which is beyond his job duties.

4. Michael Leighton - What a step up from Graham. Nice to have a reliable back up this year.

In the Middle

1. Eric Staal - He still does so many things, its hard to call him a disapointment. However, he needs to contribute on the score sheet.

2. Rod Brind'amor - Scoring big goals and still winning faceoffs. His defense has been below expectations, however

3. Scott Walker - I really don't think he ever does anything bad, but on the other end, doesn't do anything really good either.

4. Anton Babchuk - sure, he is the 7th guy and will be scratched soon, but his play is very inconsistent.

Disapointments

1. Sergei Samsonov - No explination needed

2. Joe Corvo / Joni Pitkanen on the power play - They just aren't doing what I thought they would.

3. Patrick Eaves - He is such a bad hockey player, I don't think you can call him a disapointment actually.

4. Tim Gleason - just not having the type of year and play that our top lockdown guy needs to have.

I've got to give it to Brind'Amour right now. Sure he's minus 13 but the guy is 2nd on the team in points and goals, is a league leader I faceoff percentage. He's doing it all while still having a somewhat bum appendage.

Also the dive to clear the puck the other night was pretty seflless and shows he's 100% committed to winning.

MVPs...

Ruu, of course...He's everywhere. I've been a fan since day one, even before the stick to the face.

Rosey...He's the most under paid player on the team. JR is getting his money's worth on him.

Seids...definitely a good pick up from the Coyotes.

Disappointments...

Pitkanen...I can't believe nobody else has mentioned him. He was in Lala-Land during the Montreal game. A couple times I thought he was trying to help them. Can I get Cole back, please? Edmonton definitely laughed to the bank on that deal.

Samsonov...sorry dude. I think he was trying so hard to get his first goal during the same Montreal game that if he calmed down a little, he would have about 3 goals in that one game alone. Hopefully he got some more confidence from his goal scoring debut that will spark a big fire under him.

Melichar...I haven't seen anything out this one. Another deal gone wrong.

MVPs:

1. Ruutu- shows effort night in and night out.

2. Cam- has been making some incredible saves.

3. Walker- I REALLY missed him when he was out. He's physical and is smart with the puck.

Disappointments:

1. Well, it WAS Staal but I guess he redeemed himself last night, as long as he doesn't go back to before.

2. I hate to say Samsonov because he is one of the few players who shows up every night to play with all he's got...but I wish he would score some goals.

3. Corvo- He's been okay I guess but I wish instead of spraying people with ice, he would finish his checks!

Honorable mentions:

Leighton- MUCH better than you know who.

Bayda/Sutter- so happy for those two. They've been playing great.

The defense- benn doing a great job this year with checks and blocked shots.

MVPs

Ruutu--because he is doing what he was brought in to do--hit people and put points on the board. He looks to be a good replacement for the Erik Cole role.

Wallin--he has done better than anyone has ever expected him to. He gave the team a lift when they needed it and allowed others to work into the game instead of being criticized while they did.

Gleason and Seidenberg--they have eaten huge amounts of minutes and do it well. They still have ups and downs--but the ups are better and downs less often

In between

Pitkanen and Corvo--they have shown glimpses but not all the time.

Sammy and Eaves--I would like to see more points, but they have both continued to work hard and they are not defensive liabilities when they are the ice. Sammy is more dependant on getting points from his teammates than maybe any other (offensive) Cane--and as the team plays well--so will he. Eaves seems to have gotten more active on the offensive end and maybe he will get his groove back on the score sheet.

Disappointments

Roddy--for trying to do so much too early. He should have been more proactive in allowing himself less minutes in a game to help the team---especially on the PK. Now that he is getting more healthy and his timing back, I would expect the quality of his play to get better.

Brookbank--why is he here? Yes he has one goal--but he doesn't really fight or skate well enough to protect our players and doesn't seem to really add a lot to the team.

Staal--no, not because of the scoring--just because he has not stepped up as the leader on the team when Roddy was hurt. I don't know if he was hesitant to step forward or not--but it should have been him setting the pace of the team, like he did last year after Roddy got hurt.

Good to see

Larose--for being Larose and skating hard and seeming to have a little more patience than usual

Sutter--very good Hockey player and once he gets used to the speed of the NHL--he should be one of best defensive minded centers in the league.

Bayda--everything you can ask for out of a player in his position. Makes the most out of his minutes and never takes a shift off.

Cam and Leighton--looks to be the best 1/2 goalie combo in years. Cam is playing well and the team doesn't have to worry about a deficit in play when Leighton comes in.

Who cares

Melichar--he was brought in as insurance policy in case multiple, regular dmen got hurt or if Babchuk was a train wreck. Neither has happened--but is that really a bad thing?

Pitkanen...I can't believe nobody else has mentioned him. He was in Lala-Land during the Montreal game. A couple times I thought he was trying to help them. Can I get Cole back, please? Edmonton definitely laughed to the bank on that deal.
:blink: Pitkanen has 9 points in 12 games as a defenseman. Cole has 7 points in 20 games as a forward. That's a bad trade? Cole is also a UFA while Pitkanen is signed three years. Sure, Pitkanen has had a few bad games but overall has been solid.

MVPs

Ruutu

Cam

Gleason, Wallin, Seids

Disappointments

Corvo...not seeing quite as much offense as I want to outta him

Babchuk seeing to many blunders for a guy whose supposed to be all that and a bag of chips..or so his ego told him

Brindy....not impressed, 2006 Brindy and Post Cup Brindy are polar opposites it shows and the entire team plays to his intensity which is scary.

Samsonov....2pts in 2 gp and I hope it continues but his cold steak has been a thorn in our side.

Surprises

Bayda ... Bout time, this guys been fighting for a spot for years

Sutter... I didnt expect to see this guy play this well so soon

Ruutu ... Ruutu is having a Justin Williams breakout year which is good considering we needed someone to replace Justins scoring

Leighton ... Bout time we got a backup who can stop something smaller then a beachball

:blink: Pitkanen has 9 points in 12 games as a defenseman. Cole has 7 points in 20 games as a forward. That's a bad trade? Cole is also a UFA while Pitkanen is signed three years. Sure, Pitkanen has had a few bad games but overall has been solid.

LOL.. isnt that the truth.. Cole has been a no-show in Edmonton. Love the guy but he doesnt seem to like his new digs as much as he says he does. Will the Oilers be laughing when they lose Cole the way Ottawa let Stillman and Commodore walk?

Good to see

Larose--for being Larose and skating hard and seeming to have a little more patience than usual

Sutter--very good Hockey player and once he gets used to the speed of the NHL--he should be one of best defensive minded centers in the league.

Bayda--everything you can ask for out of a player in his position. Makes the most out of his minutes and never takes a shift off.

Cam and Leighton--looks to be the best 1/2 goalie combo in years. Cam is playing well and the team doesn't have to worry about a deficit in play when Leighton comes in.

I'm with you 100% on these three. I thought they were rushing Sutter, but this kid is NHL ready. Bayda's play has been worthy of a 3rd line guy and he is almost the pest that LaRose is. Rosey is looking more and more like a guy that wants to stick around. There was a time when it looked like he may not be with us this year but I'm glad that got sorted out. Every team needs a guy like that.

MVP- again, Ruutu. He simply rocks.

Wardo - no explanation needed

toss up between Seidenberg & Wallin. Both are doing a great job.

honorable mentions:

Sutter! I am very excited about this guy, he is on a mission. Hope we can keep him a long time if he keeps it up.

Bayda- also on a mission.

LaRose- he's always been one of my favorites, good to see him getting more ice time. (Plus he's the Chuck Norris of Hockey!) :lol:

guys I'd like to see more from - (hate to use the term disappointments)

Staal- the hat trick was great, maybe he's broken his slump

Samsonov

Eaves