The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

Team & Effort/Winning

if staal were to start leading by example he would have to start backchecking. you have to wonder if the other players on the team see staal leisurely skating back on D and say to themselves, he makes 7-8-9 Mil/year and doesnt backcheck, why should I, purely a hypothetical point.

if staal were to start leading by example he would have to start backchecking. you have to wonder if the other players on the team see staal leisurely skating back on D and say to themselves, he makes 7-8-9 Mil/year and doesnt backcheck, why should I, purely a hypothetical point.

Agree. If all Canes players put forth the effort that Sutter, Bayda, and Walker display every night...imagine where they'd be. The top guys have shown they have the talent..they just don't seem to care.

Agree. If all Canes players put forth the effort that Sutter, Bayda, and Walker display every night...imagine where they'd be. The top guys have shown they have the talent..they just don't seem to care.

Add to this list LaRose and Ruutu. The others just seem to be content to show up and collect a paycheck.

....If we all thought these guys were a bad team we wouldn't be so bothered by the way that they are playing, but we know how good they can be. They just need to get that jump back into their game and go out and give their best effort every game.

Agree/Disagree/Thought/Comments????

I honestly think that they are playing as good as they can.

They just seem more talented in those open back and forth games, like the Habs game for example, but seriously struggle against teams who play physical or play a good neutral zone or defensive game. If the other team claps down, it's like we are running into a wall every time we try to come out of our end. Little to do but dump and chase after that to gain the zone.

I think we go from one extreme to another. One night we hit ever guy in sight, the next night we skate like we have lead weights on. Why not look in the middle somewhere and hit when needed, skate hard, and stop all these crazy dump in's and out of control passes.

The Canes are professional and need to play like they are. Staal seems to be cherry picking by waiting at the red line for a pass. But once he gets it, he cannot produce. I know that he is being chased by the defense but other players making less can do it. Besides, he should PASS the puck too!

Brindy seems to be upset and I am wondering if it because everything is starting to revolve around Staal. He is the Captain and needs to be treated like one PLUS act like one. It's time to put our silly little feelings aside and play the game. I would play for less and give 150% every shift. (Of course my 150% = about 60% for them. :lol: )

Just my .02!

They just seem more talented in those open back and forth games, like the Habs game for example, but seriously struggle against teams who play physical or play a good neutral zone or defensive game. If the other team claps down, it's like we are running into a wall every time we try to come out of our end. Little to do but dump and chase after that to gain the zone.

Well said and one of the big reasons we struggle is lack of size on offense. IDK what the average size forward is in the NHL but when u look at Cullen Larose Bayda Samsonov Whitney Sutter Walker these are not big guys. Sure we got Staal Brindy Ruutu etc. that have good size but on average we seem small. Maybe one of u stat people will look it up and prove me wrong.

We lose a lot of battles along the boards with the smaller guys and the forechecking is less effective. This is where we miss Justin Williams a ton.

Sure the lack of size can be minmized with speed but I don't see the Canes as that much faster than other NHL teams.(offensively speaking)

More clutching and grabbing allowed now so that minimizes the speed also.

I have to disagree. "Playing as good as they can" doesn't entail spending the majority of games standing around, waiting for the puck to magically come to you. It also doesn't include weak clears and acting surprised when they get easily knocked off the puck because they don't do anything with any kind of aggressiveness or authority.

So who has been mentioned in this thread as playing hard every game? Sutter, LaRose, Bayda, Walker, Ruutu....other than Chad, what do the others have in common?

We are suprisingly bad in the attacking zone. I attribute this mostly to Staal and Brind'Amour playing subpar, though it is hard to let Sammy and Eaves (pre-injury) off the hook. I think Sammy needs a strong center to produce.

Interesting factoids:

1. Our 5th, 6th, and 7th leaders in points are defensemen.

2. Project Pitkanen's points out over 22 games and he is our second leading scorer. (nearly all assists, but still).

Well I like Brind'Amour and all, but if this is coming out of our captain's mouth, its no wonder this team sucks half the time:

"It's one of those games where we felt like we had the play but we just didn't generate enough scoring chances," Hurricanes captain Rod Brind'Amour said. "The effort is fine, but we've got to get results."

"The effort is fine", did he drink what Bob Brind'Amour drank last night. What game was he playing in, because what I saw wasn't effort. Is he talking about the 5 mins of effort they do show a game. If so, yeah that effort is fine, but last I checked a game is 60 minutes not 5.

Its no wonder this teams effort is lacking b/c according to their captain, their effort is fine. :angry:

Just a point, but Bayda, LaRose, and Ruutu, some of our hardest working players day in and day out are all signed to a one-year deal. They are playing to either stay with the team (earn a sizeable contract) or show the rest of the league what they can do and get a nice juicy contract from someone who liked their play this season. Staal, he has a 7 year deal now. I think some of the lack of jump can be the security these players feel.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign players to big deals, but if they slack off, we aren't afraid to sit them for a lesson. Look at Edmonton, they sat Penner for a couple games and didn't say they were bringing him back in anytime soon because he wasn't bringing what he can to every game. Well, Pisani broke his ankle which lead to Penner's early return, and in his first game he scored a beauty and the game-winner. One game isn't that much, but instead of taking 5-6 games to get hot, he was playing really well from the drop of the puck to the final horn. I don't think Staal will ever be scratched for a game, because the organization is in love with him. He has skill but he hasn't had much luck. He scored 3 goals in a game, then for the next two he hasn't scored. He needs to establish some consistency. He's not going to score every game, but he is capable of scoring one or two every couple of games. This season isn't going to be a nice one to Eric Staal.

It's a young season but the way we are going, I don't think we'll be making the playoffs.We'll go from a 3 game winning streak to a 3 game losing streak. Lack of consistency, lack of primary scoring. And when we have primary scoring, we don't have secondary scoring. It's killing me to see the team come out in a game where they are losing 2-0, score two straight goals to tie it in about the first 4 minutes of a period. then for the rest of the period not find a way to get the lead. Then late in that period, the other team scores. You're down by one. You come out in the third period with 20 full minutes to tie it, and we just can't. The third period wasn't a good one. I saw a lack of leadership. The team needs someone that can score that one goal, the one shot that gets through, whether it's just to get one point and lose in the OT or to steal the game and win in OT. Where was Staal, or Whitney, or Brind'Amour in the third period? Or in the second period when we could have taken the lead? Those are the players that need to score at those times.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trade made. I'm not saying there will be one, or I think there will be one, but if the play doesn't pick up and stay up, then I wouldn't be surprised if there was a deal made. We need to shake off the security the players feel, or get it through that if you are going to be with this team long term, you need to play like you deserve to be with the team long-term, and play like you deserve your ice time.

P.S. Not saying this is the cause for everything, but with the little change in the team this season to last, besides the call-ups not being here and the regulars who were injured back, Cole is gone and Pitkanen is here. Maybe it shows you what he brought, even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard. Not trying to say he is some amazing player and was the reason we won, but it can be part of the mystery of why Staal hasn't been playing like he did last season. His linemate for the past 3 seasons is gone, and he is in a slump. Erik Cole isn't having a great season either in Edmonton. Maybe there was that chemistry that brought the best out of each player. Just a thought.

i notice that no one seems to want to play a physical brand of hockey except for the likes of walker, ruutu, larose, dwyer, and sutter. This team needs somethin to shake them up. I think that brind amour just isnt cuttin it anymore and he needs to lose ice time to the rookie sutter. Something needs to change and it needs to change fast.

Im pretty excited for the game tommorow vs philly. if they can't man up to a fairly physical philly team, i think we are goin to be lookin at a very long season.

i notice that no one seems to want to play a physical brand of hockey except for the likes of walker, ruutu, larose, dwyer, and sutter. This team needs somethin to shake them up. I think that brind amour just isnt cuttin it anymore and he needs to lose ice time to the rookie sutter. Something needs to change and it needs to change fast.

Im pretty excited for the game tommorow vs philly. if they can't man up to a fairly physical philly team, i think we are goin to be lookin at a very long season.

I disagree. We are physical, but we are too physical. When we are forechecking, or getting the puck deep, instead of playing to puck or going for the puck, we go for the body. That leads to turnovers and less puck control.

I think we should trade Chad Larose. He's playing well enough that we might get something decent in return. Plus, he's a UFA next summer and I seriously doubt that we'll re-sign him. He should be traded because he's probably making some of the team feel bad when they compare their own effort levels to Chad's. We need consistency on this team and Larose's effort level is inconsistent with our team inconsistency!

Make a trade? :huh:

The only tradeable players right now (the ones that would bring decent returns) are the next summer's RFAs/UFAs - Ruutu, Larose Seidenberg, Bayda or younger players w/ long contracts - Corvo, Gleason, Pitkanen, Ward. Incidentally, they are our best players right now, the ones that do tend to show up on a regular basis.

Well I like Brind'Amour and all, but if this is coming out of our captain's mouth, its no wonder this team sucks half the time:

"The effort is fine", did he drink what Bob Brind'Amour drank last night. What game was he playing in, because what I saw wasn't effort. Is he talking about the 5 mins of effort they do show a game. If so, yeah that effort is fine, but last I checked a game is 60 minutes not 5.

Its no wonder this teams effort is lacking b/c according to their captain, their effort is fine. :angry:

Wow, cannot believe he said that. No wonder the team goes up and down; I mean if he believes the effort is fine then who is to say that Lavi and the other head guys don't mistakenly think the same thing? Stagnation builds within, and I wonder whether or not JR and others think that "the effort is fine" ? If they do, then we're worse off than I ever thought before.

Trade Chad? Are your serious....And who would we trade him for? I think Chad Is a good player in his market range, we are not going to get any better of player,he isn't a Zetterburg, or a Gaborik. I really think we should relax, Look we out shot them, played with our backup goalie, and only lossed by a screen,that i dont care what goalie is in net was not going to see that. Leighton had no idea where it was, no one would have. Guy we are not going to win every game, and if you havent noticed, Vokoun is not terrible by anymeans.

Rod is right, during the second peroid we have a ton of flurries, All the effort was there, but no one could captialize on it. We are one of the strongest teams in the leauge, but are luck is like the Leafs, we are banged up all the time. I wouldn't really freak over this loss to much gentelmen, we are 8th right now, and thats a hell of alot better than atlanta.

Give the boys time to heal and get there mind in the game, we will start hitting that net soon. we can't win every game.

from last year we learned we cant just wait around and hope they get back faster than expected. somethin needs to change because when we do play well no one can keep that same energy and intensity for more than a couple of games at a time. What's the point of goin on the 3 game winnin streak and then losin the next two? That will not return us to the playoffs at all

Rod is right, during the second peroid we have a ton of flurries, All the effort was there, but no one could captialize on it. We are one of the strongest teams in the leauge, but are luck is like the Leafs, we are banged up all the time. I wouldn't really freak over this loss to much gentelmen, we are 8th right now, and thats a hell of alot better than atlanta.

So your OK with giving 10-20 minutes of effort in a 60 minute game?

We all know they aren't going to win every game. But when they ONLY put forth 10-20 minutes of effort, they aren't giving themselves a chance to win. When they think that 10-20 minutes of Effort is Fine, we have a problem.

Last I checked the game is 60 minutes, not 20 not 30 not 55, but 60 minutes. I expect this team to put forth a 60 minute effort, especially when they were well rested since they didn't even show up for the game the day before.

I'm fine with them losing if they put forth the effort. Last night they lost that game in the first period because the effort wasn't there.

Standing around, watching the puck and watching the opponent skate circles around you is not good enough effort. If they want to watch, they should take a seat in the stands and allow guys who actually want to play, play.

I wouldn't really freak over this loss to much gentelmen, we are 8th right now, and thats a hell of alot better than atlanta.

Give the boys time to heal and get there mind in the game, we will start hitting that net soon. we can't win every game.

8th! 8th! We are in 8th place and better than Atlanta! We are paying how much to be in 8th place? We should be at the top with our talent. They don't need to heal they need to play as if it were their last game! Its called intensity!!! Bunch of lolly gaggers!

Past 2 seasons we have struggled through November and December. First season we didn't make a change. Last year we didn't make a change. We had an injury and made some adjustments mid February which ended up being too late. This season we need to make the change! If Lavi doesn't do it I think he will be gone. You cannot keep making the same mistakes over and over.

So your OK with giving 10-20 minutes of effort in a 60 minute game?

We all know they aren't going to win every game. But when they ONLY put forth 10-20 minutes of effort, they aren't giving themselves a chance to win. When they think that 10-20 minutes of Effort is Fine, we have a problem.

Last I checked the game is 60 minutes, not 20 not 30 not 55, but 60 minutes. I expect this team to put forth a 60 minute effort, especially when they were well rested since they didn't even show up for the game the day before.

I'm fine with them losing if they put forth the effort. Last night they lost that game in the first period because the effort wasn't there.

Standing around, watching the puck and watching the opponent skate circles around you is not good enough effort. If they want to watch, they should take a seat in the stands and allow guys who actually want to play, play.

Funny, how a lot of us are throwing the word "effort" around like it explains everything. I think it's about as lame and generic of an excuse when players and coaches address it in post game interviews as when fans use it in their blame games. Yea, it sounds good but it still doesn't tell anyone *edit*. You can give 150% effort 100% of the time and still don't get anywhere if you don't know what to do with the damn puck.

We do know what to do with the puck, and if we don't then we need a coach who can show us what to do with the puck. The coach creates the strategy, the players execute the strategy. If the strategies cannot be executed by the players, try a new one, or shake the lines up. If the strategy is being executed right, but it isn't resulting in goals, then make better strategies. The PP is horrible, and it's causing us to lose games. We need to fix that ASAP.