The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

Team & Effort/Winning

Man if that statement is true, that makes me want to gag. What did she think she was there for? to read a book? I wish so bad that I lived closer to Raleigh to get to more games, four hours is just too hard to make a whole whole lot, the most I went to in a season was like 8, and that was during the 05-06 season, and that isn't including the two playoff games I went to that season. Make noise at the games! God knows I do while watching it on tv

I think it might be true. Living on the coast I don't get to many games but at the Edmonton game earlier this month

I remarked it was as if the energy has left the players,fans and building. There were moments when everyone was shouting and cheering but not like a year or two ago. I'll be making noise when I watch TV too. I hope those who are lucky enough

to live close to RBC will start getting some spirt soon.

Man if that statement is true, that makes me want to gag. What did she think she was there for? to read a book? I wish so bad that I lived closer to Raleigh to get to more games, four hours is just too hard to make a whole whole lot, the most I went to in a season was like 8, and that was during the 05-06 season, and that isn't including the two playoff games I went to that season. Make noise at the games! God knows I do while watching it on tv

I think it might be true. Living on the coast I don't get to many games but at the Edmonton game earlier this month

I remarked it was as if the energy has left the players,fans and building. There were moments when everyone was shouting and cheering but not like a year or two ago. I'll be making noise when I watch TV too. I hope those who are lucky enough

Again, what exactly has the team given the fans to cheer about? Their play on the ice has been lackluster at best. They don't score, they don't keep any sort of offensive zone pressure, and their powerplay is nonexistent. The most cheering they'll get is when they clear the puck out of the zone on a PK.

Uhh...because it is one of two things:

1. The crowd is holding their breath that we won't blow a lead (which we did with Edmonton). Or...

2. The "here we go again" when we go down two in the first period.

That's my two reactions when I am at RBC or even watching on TV. Know why? Because when we have a lead (the few) we don't try to add to it and take it to the other team or we are always playing from behind.

Getting real old.

I just don't get the Canes lack of intensity ... How can a team as a whole seem to be in a rut? What is holding them back or what might be the reasoning behind the lack of jump on this team ... They just need to get that jump back into their game and go out and give their best effort every game.

Agree/Disagree/Thought/Comments????

Just an offhand thought, dj, but I'm wondering if the over-intensity by the Ducks, who'll be coming to town this Sunday, will jump-start the Canes. If anything, Randy Carlyle's guys have had aggressiveness and drive coming out from their ears, as they lead the world (no surprise) in penalty minutes (466, to the Canes' 251), penalty minutes per game (20.8), and fighting majors (28).

Yep, the Quackers are feisty but undisciplined, so if Lavi can use his opponents' chippiness to his team's favor, this could be a turning point in the season for Carolina. Let's see how things turn out.

Jan/GSBG

Just an offhand thought, dj, but I'm wondering if the over-intensity by the Ducks, who'll be coming to town this Sunday, will jump-start the Canes. If anything, Randy Carlyle's guys have had aggressiveness and drive coming out from their ears, as they lead the world (no surprise) in penalty minutes (466, to the Canes' 251), penalty minutes per game (20.8), and fighting majors (28).

Yep, the Quackers are feisty but undisciplined, so if Lavi can use his opponents' chippiness to his team's favor, this could be a turning point in the season for Carolina. Let's see how things turn out.

Jan/GSBG

Oh, how I wish what you're saying was true, but I'm afraid that's not the case. Even soft teams like Atlanta and Florida manage to look physical and sometime downright thuggish against the Hurricanes, I don't even want to think what the Ducks will do to us, and I have a feeling that they still may be ticked off about that loss at home to us about a month ago. They can go ahead and take all the penalties they want, b/c the way the Canes PP is right now, the Ducks will just get a light PK practice. They can't be punished physically, and they can't be punished score wise either. Our only hope is that they'll take it a little easier on Sunday in order to save their best for Detroit on Monday night. Otherwise, it can get pretty ugly for the Canes.

Right now, the Canes sit in 8th place one point ahead of the Slugs who have played two less games. The attitude of the top line seems to be "whatever." It will be interesting to see if there is fire from the first puck drop or the pattern will continue. If it was made clear this year was a rebuilding year as it is with the Leafs, I could understand some of the inconsistency. But I thought we were after the Cup.

Oh, how I wish what you're saying was true, but I'm afraid that's not the case. Even soft teams like Atlanta and Florida manage to look physical and sometime downright thuggish against the Hurricanes, I don't even want to think what the Ducks will do to us, and I have a feeling that they still may be ticked off about that loss at home to us about a month ago. They can go ahead and take all the penalties they want, b/c the way the Canes PP is right now, the Ducks will just get a light PK practice. They can't be punished physically, and they can't be punished score wise either. Our only hope is that they'll take it a little easier on Sunday in order to save their best for Detroit on Monday night. Otherwise, it can get pretty ugly for the Canes.

Amen my friend, AMEN!!!!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really think that the majority of the problem this year is in the center of the ice on our first two lines: Staal and Brind'Amour.

If these two were playing like they did a couple of years ago, both of our top lines would be producing. Yes, they are 2 and 3 on the score sheet but:

Staal had one glorious game and two empty netters. Take those away and he has 3 goals over 22 games. Yet he is double shifted and plays on all power plays. I maintain that he is hurt, but maybe it's between the ears. Who knows?

Brind'Amour is still a cagey veteran and he has pushed in 7 goals, but he is a staggering -16. He is getting beat all over the ice. He has lost a crucial step.

Thing is, what do you do? Cullen isn't really producing that much better. Those are our top centers. Can't be easy to trade Brind'Amour for lots of reasons, plus, other GM's can see what's going on. Staal isn't going anywhere. Sure we could bring up a couple of minor leaguers to go with Sutter and Cullen, but while the effort may win a few games, we will have no real chance of making the playoffs this year.

We could just trade Brind'Amour for whatever we could get, rest Staal or let him get whatever surgery or treatment he needs, bring up the kids and go for the draft pick, but after missing the playoffs two years in a row, that would be a bitter pill.

Sure fire the coach, that will make it all better. Maybe.

Really, other than fire the coach, what do you do? We're kind of stuck. So we hope to play through it. And that is at best .500 hockey.

Again, what exactly has the team given the fans to cheer about? Their play on the ice has been lackluster at best. They don't score, they don't keep any sort of offensive zone pressure, and their powerplay is nonexistent. The most cheering they'll get is when they clear the puck out of the zone on a PK.

Exactly. The crowd is waiting to cheer but we aren't being given much to cheer about. Are we supposed to cheer each giveaway on the powerplay, or every shot from the wall?

I just watched some highlights of our Cup year.

Couldn't be anymore depressing. I would just have never imagined, that after winning a Stanley Cup, how hard it would be for the team to compete night in, night out just two seasons later. The guys make it look so hard to just play a full game, and it's even harder watching them try to do it.

What has happened to us?

Hey guys I know this might be hard to do, but if we see the 'Canes just skating around doing well nothing, maybe we could scream out C'MON CANES DO SOMETHING. A friend of mine was at the game where Staal scored the hat trick and saw he was standing there like a deer in headlights before the goals and yelled out c'mon Staal do something and then he did. Say like near the end of the first period when the score is other team 2 and 'Canes 0. Maybe that will light a fire under their butts. Just an idea. :unsure:

1. The crowd is holding their breath that we won't blow a lead (which we did with Edmonton). Or...

That's my two reactions when I am at RBC or even watching on TV. Know why? Because when we have a lead (the few) we don't try to add to it and take it to the other team or we are always playing from behind.

Getting real old.

Fair enough!

Getting real old.

Fair enough!

Oh, how I wish what you're saying was true, but I'm afraid that's not the case.

Well, in the last three Ducks-Canes tilts in as many years, Lavi's crew has had Anaheim's number big time. Even though recent Ducks teams have had plenty of protein in their hard-hitting game, they've resembled moldy jellied cranberry sauce whenever they meet the Canes. Without a question, that's largely because Anaheim -- with the exception of Teemu Selanne, Scott Niedermayer, and Ryan Getzlaf -- plays "caveman hockey," whereas Carolina's game is one of the smartest in the league. Indeed, it's a duel of Anaheim's brawn versus Carolina's brains.

Even soft teams like Atlanta and Florida manage to look physical and sometime downright thuggish against the Hurricanes ...

Even the Thrashers are pretty much committed to "caveman hockey," based on what I've seen over the last several years. For what it's worth, they look as if they'd be a terrific fit for the Pacific Division, where every club has at least two or three roster spots dedicated to in-your-face enforcers.

(As I type this, the Ducks' George Parros and the Hawks' Matt Walker just finished their little dance along the boards. "The Stache" was sent to the locker room, his eighth fighting major this year and his sixth in the last four games. For the record, this was the Ducks' 29th FM on the season. :blink: )

I don't even want to think what the Ducks will do to us, and I have a feeling that they still may be ticked off about that loss at home to us about a month ago. They can go ahead and take all the penalties they want, b/c the way the Canes PP is right now, the Ducks will just get a light PK practice. They can't be punished physically, and they can't be punished score wise either. Our only hope is that they'll take it a little easier on Sunday in order to save their best for Detroit on Monday night. Otherwise, it can get pretty ugly for the Canes.

Let's see how this afternoon's Ducks-Hawks tangle turns out. If Anaheim ends up with a "W," the mood could be better. If not, a bunch of large, angry waterfowl will make their way into RBC Sunday afternoon.

Jan/GSBG

Hey guys I know this might be hard to do, but if we see the 'Canes just skating around doing well nothing, maybe we could scream out C'MON CANES DO SOMETHING. A friend of mine was at the game where Staal scored the hat trick and saw he was standing there like a deer in headlights before the goals and yelled out c'mon Staal do something and then he did. Say like near the end of the first period when the score is other team 2 and 'Canes 0. Maybe that will light a fire under their butts. Just an idea. :unsure:

Sometimes when my gf and I feel like yelling but nothing is going on we quote Anchorman and yell "LOUD NOISES!"... usually gets us a couple confused looks.

Hey guys I know this might be hard to do, but if we see the 'Canes just skating around doing well nothing ...

Just a thought, jinx, but it could be that when the players seem to be "doing nothing," they're thinking through the mechanics of setting up a play. Typically, camera crews at NHL games are situated high enough in arenas to be able to capture the entire view of a play's being set up ... unless, however, you're unlucky enough to catch a Ducks' or Kings' telecast with that ghastly Rinkside View. (For a glimpse of what Rinkside View is and why it's such a scourge to dedicated hockey fans, check out the Orange County Register's "Ducks Blog" entry, as well as the threads http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/2008/11/1...oing-away/2452/[/post], http://forums.anaheimducks.com/index.php?s...l=rinkside+view, http://forums.anaheimducks.com/index.php?s...l=rinkside+view, and http://forums.anaheimducks.com/index.php?s...l=rinkside+view from the Ducks' official fan forum.)

I'm no expert on hockey, nor have I ever played ice or field hockey, but I did learn the importance of strategy as a backfielder/goaltender on my eighth-grade soccer team. Whenever any of us kicked the ball cluelessly around the field during a game, our no-nonsense, in-your-face coach benched us for at least a game, making sure we'd learn from our "caveman soccer" ways.

As I'd said in an earlier post here, Sunday's game -- which won't be televised in southern California :angry: -- will be a matter of the Canes' brains versus the Ducks' brawn. If nothing else, Anaheim's in a better mood after today's 1-0 win over the Hawks ... which could, consequently, make things easier for Carolina. Sunday's duel should be very interesting.

Jan/GSBG

i did love the fact that corvo was so mad when he got hit from behind the next two shifts he was takin runs at guys left and right

I wondered what happened. Corvo had about 6 hits for the game. I'm sorry to hear it was just payback. I would like to think it was an attitude change. Oh well.