The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ms-Conduct17

Practice 11/29?

I'd of called again 30 minutes later to see if I got the same answer, sometimes you get someone else who knows what thier talking about because it sounded like he didnt have a clue.

When NC State has an early game (12 or 1), the Canes practices are closed to the public. So today, the practice was closed.

Now you guys know what it's like to be a fan of the Anaheim Ducks. With the exception of one practice in January 2006 -- after which former GM Brian Burke provided his "state of the team" address and an hour-long Q&A session involving fans -- fans of NHL puck in The O.C. have been shut out from all practices at The Arrowhead Pond/Honda Center since the 1993-94 season, their first in the league. Since Burke was named the team's GM in 2005, the majority of Ducks' practices have been held at HC -- a move totally in keeping with the out-of-sight-out-of-mind stance of the team's top execs.

I've said it at least 50 times on these boards over the last four seasons, and I'll say it a 51st time: Canes' fans are beyond lucky to have nearly all practices open to them. That's a gift.

Jan/GSBG

Thanks so much for replying - I'll keep all of it in mind for next season, but hopefully NC State (Sorry PAck Fans!) will be done very soon. And it is a very good thing to call before!!

I was bummed, my group even had the perfect t-shirts made up for the occassion. Just as well, I didn't quite feel up to battling all that football traffic! I'll just have to plan for another weekend, I suppose.

Thanks again!

With everything going on around the RBC before a home Wolfpack football game (tailgating and fanzone) it might be quite a distraction for the players having throngs of football fans constantly entering and departing just to get a quick glimpse of a practice.

And it is a very good thing to call before!!

Smart idea, Ms.

Since the 2002-03 season, I've always called Anaheim Ice (fka Disney Ice) to see if the Ducks were scheduled to practice there. Doing that's been the only way to go since the 2005-06 season, when head coach Randy Carlyle -- a guy who makes sure his players are bothered by as few distractions (fans) as possible -- took over the reins. As a result, about 85% of Ducks' practices are held at Honda Center, a locale where every practice has been closed to fans in the organization's 15-year existence. :angry: Thankfully, the Canes' management doesn't share that anti-fan attitude that's so prevalent among the Ducks' higher-ups, and that stance shows up by making sure that nearly all practices are open.

No matter what upper management's stance on fans is, however, it's savvy to call ahead to see if there's a possibility that any practices are scheduled to be closed.

Jan/GSBG