The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

2008-09 Injuries

I know it looks bad right now but take a look around the league, plenty of other teams are being hard too.

Nic Lidstrom broke his nose and got quite a gash last night.

Ryan Malone has a separated shoulder

Ryan Whitney had surgery

Zdeno Chara has chronic shoulder problems

Eric Johnson tore his MCL/ACL

And these are just a few I heard tonight. Worth mentioning for all the cliff jumpers.

right, but they are not all in the same team right? We have like 8 guys out already. Who's next? Eaves?

BTW, you forgot Gonchar - dislocated shoulder out indefinitely

I know it looks bad right now but take a look around the league, plenty of other teams are being hard too.

Nic Lidstrom broke his nose and got quite a gash last night.

Sergei Gonchar has a separated shoulder

Ryan Whitney had surgery

Zdeno Chara has chronic shoulder problems

Eric Johnson tore his MCL/ACL

Matt Carle concussion

And these are just a few I heard tonight. Worth mentioning for all the cliff jumpers.

right, but they are not all in the same team right? We have like 8 guys out already. Who's next? Eaves?

BTW, you forgot Gonchar - dislocated shoulder out indefinitely

There are plenty more, and it was a big topic on xm today. I only picked out the serious ones that I could remember but there are tons of tweaked groins and mild knee sprains around the league.

Im not overlooking whats happening with the Canes, just saying we're not the only team that's dealing with it. I cant speak for the other team but I know it probably feels worse for us coming off of the last couple of injury plagued seasons.

Knockin on some wood when I post this - but some of these guys with the training related injuries need to talk to #12 and find out what he does to get ready for the season.

Staal has been the true ironman of the team last couple years and has to know how to train.

I'm not gonna get on the "Friesen lynchmob" - these players are responsible for thier own training regimens - Pete can't follow all of 'em around all summer. IMO most of it is just dumb bad luck - despite what JR says.

that's just rediculous. we shouldnt be having all these injuries already.. i think something really needs to be done about the stretching or whatever to prevent this

Yeah if Pete Friesen was worth a damn he would have jumped out on the ice and put himself between Gleason's knee and the boards. It was his responsibilty to wrap his loving arms Wallin to protect his head too.

Ever play hockey or skate? Groin tweaks come a dime a dozen especially at the start of the season when your skating at game speed for the first time in a few months.

This is a contact sport folks and *edit* happens. JR needs a scapegoat and since he already made nice with Lavi, Friesen is next in line.

I'm not gonna get on the "Friesen lynchmob" - these players are responsible for thier own training regimens - Pete can't follow all of 'em around all summer. IMO most of it is just dumb bad luck - despite what JR says.

Ya think? Only a few of these guys stayed here this summer to train. But if Pete was a real man, he'd have traveled North America and Europe to check on training regimens. Sure thing.

Yeah if Pete Friesen was worth a damn he would have jumped out on the ice and put himself between Gleason's knee and the boards. It was his responsibilty to wrap his loving arms Wallin to protect his head too.

Ever play hockey or skate? Groin tweaks come a dime a dozen especially at the start of the season when your skating at game speed for the first time in a few months.

This is a contact sport folks and *edit* happens. JR needs a scapegoat and since he already made nice with Lavi, Friesen is next in line.

Ya think? Only a few of these guys stayed here this summer to train. But if Pete was a real man, he'd have traveled North America and Europe to check on training regimens. Sure thing.

wow i never said anything about pete friesen, why'd you bring him into this?

and in fact i've been playing hockey for 8 years thank you very much.

Knockin on some wood when I post this - but some of these guys with the training related injuries need to talk to #12 and find out what he does to get ready for the season.

Staal has been the true ironman of the team last couple years and has to know how to train.

Well now you did, you just jinxed him :P

I love how people say "they should be back by opening night".

That does little good when they need some ice time. Sheesh, preseason is not only to see the youth, but to get your regulars ready for a real game.

I'm hoping back for at least one preseason game. Or opening night will be like the last night of the last season....A Florida win.

Stuff like this here is why we truly need depth on our team. We need to have a full or nearly full team of stable, reliable players. And it wouldn't hurt to have similar depth in our AHL team as well for when call-ups are necessary. Yes, having a list this long looks bad, but it wouldn't be nearly a blow if we could rely on the rest of the team to pick up the slack. I think thats a bigger issue than the fact that we are perpetually fighting off the injury bug.

Just had a thought... now I dont know if Friesen helps the minor leaguers train so this may be a completely worthless insight. But look at the injuries we have had over the past month. ALL CANES PLAYERS. None of them minor league guys. As far as I know, Friesen doesnt train the minor league guys. So one could assume the minor league guys are doing something right and the pros/Friesen are doing something wrong. Of course there are a lot of other possibilities. Maybe the River Rats are playing through the minor injuries whereas we are just being careful with the pros. Who knows, just a thought.

Just had a thought... now I dont know if Friesen helps the minor leaguers train so this may be a completely worthless insight. But look at the injuries we have had over the past month. ALL CANES PLAYERS. None of them minor league guys. As far as I know, Friesen doesnt train the minor league guys. So one could assume the minor league guys are doing something right and the pros/Friesen are doing something wrong. Of course there are a lot of other possibilities. Maybe the River Rats are playing through the minor injuries whereas we are just being careful with the pros. Who knows, just a thought.

The fact they are NHLers means they get the kid gloves and are being held out early. But you also have to remember the Rats are generally younger, so they are less likely to strain/pull muscles etc. Plus its not like any of the guys who've been hurt save Williams have a big injury. The injuries are strains or soreness to guys with histories of these kinds of problems (i.e. Whitney, Ruutu and Samsonov) or something unpreventable from in a game.

All of them are in their 20s if I am correct with the exception of Brindy. So I dont know if age has anything to do with it.

Whitney and Wallin are in their 30's and Samsonov will be 30 on 10/27

Some more lovely news folks - In Paul Branecky's blog he notes that Lavi throws in Corvo's name among players that are injured. It is unclear whether he is truly injured or not because Paul mentions that he practiced today.