The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

2008-09 Injuries

I agree and the Predators just signed another enforcer as well. Tanarsky????

Preds fan here. :D

Tarnasky is injured (broken thumb) so he's not likely to be in the line-up.

The other 2 players 'auditioning' for the 'enforcer' role are Josh Gratton and Tristan Grant.

...but by signing Tarnasky that may be a ticket to Milwaukee for those 2.

That being said, Trotz isn't one to usually 'goon it up', especially in pre-season (unless you're Columbus. :lol: )

Anyway,

Here's hoping for a good game...and no more injuries for either side.

I was at yesterdays practice. The Captain, Whitney, Wallin, Brookbank, & Walker all skated. It was a short skate for most.

Wade and Nick were getting run ragged though.

I was at today's practice and Ruutu and Eaves didn't practice. As well as Boychuck. And Jensen had to be helped off the ice (check out the Tracking the Storm Blog if you haven't already). I will put pictures in the Hurricanes Images thread tomorrow afternoon.

And Corvo was practicing and seemed fine, but who knows.

LaRose was also supossedly sick for last night's game but is "feeling better now".

If JR doesn't sign someone WHO CAN SCORE soon this team is in a heap of trouble IMO. Lacouture has played decent but hes not a goal scorer. We do have offensive depth, but look at who we have. Samsonov, Ruutu, Eaves, Whitney, Brindamour, Walker, Cullen all have questionable health bc of current injuries or being injury prone in the past. I think its safe to say AT LEAST 3/7 of them will miss significant time if not more. Add that to Williams missing almost an entire season and we have a serious problems. Sorry JR, but if you want to win this season youre going to have to spend some money. And the thing is, if everyone stays healthy this is a great team. But that wont happen! If we dont make some kind of move we are wasting another year of these guys' contracts.

If JR doesn't sign someone WHO CAN SCORE soon this team is in a heap of trouble IMO. Lacouture has played decent but hes not a goal scorer. We do have offensive depth, but look at who we have. Samsonov, Ruutu, Eaves, Whitney, Brindamour, Walker, Cullen all have questionable health bc of current injuries or being injury prone in the past. I think its safe to say AT LEAST 3/7 of them will miss significant time if not more. Add that to Williams missing almost an entire season and we have a serious problems. Sorry JR, but if you want to win this season youre going to have to spend some money. And the thing is, if everyone stays healthy this is a great team. But that wont happen! If we dont make some kind of move we are wasting another year of these guys' contracts.

I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about scoring. I doubt we'll have all the players you listed missing games at the same time. Even then, Staal makes everyone around him better, Bayda's looking very good, and LaRose has improved every season, and we've still got sweet forward depth.

Plus, our back end is appearing to be pretty balanced offensively. Corvo, Pitkanen, a rejuvinated Kaberle, and Babchuk could all hit 30+ points, and Seidenberg's no slouch himself.

And Im sure JR is thinking, sorry guys, but if you want to have players that cost more money, you're going to have to pay more for your tickets.

Im GRATEFUL for hockey and for the team we have. Shoot, this is North Cackalacky man, lets be grateful we can even go see a hockey game.

Well now we can add Walker to the injury discussion. Out 6 weeks due to surgery to repair ligament damage in his hand. Looks like Boychuck is gonna end up with that 9 game try out.

I wonder if LaCouture would be willing to take a 2-way deal now that there's an oppurtunity to play the first few weeks in the NHL and make his mark?

Boychuk and Sutter will have 10 games which will bring us into the beginning of November, that will cover most of Walker's absence and help to decide their final placements.

Does this open up the oppurtunity for both Brookbank and Gilles now? It doesnt make sense to carry both these guys but without Walker, there certainly is a need for them.

And what about a trade? Will this be the piece that pushes JR to make a last minute trade with one of the dmen?

This is not good. Walker is such a team player and always sticks up for his teammates. Walker adds toughness and skill. I hope we will have enough toughness to not get pushed around like we have in the past.

he was in a fight last Sunday's game and he was holding it while in the penalty box. just saw on wral.com that he had hand surgery today and will be out 6 weeks

groan....it is almost becoming laughable. :angry:

not really.

he was in a fight last Sunday's game and he was holding it while in the penalty box. just saw on wral.com that he had hand surgery today and will be out 6 weeks

M*A*S*H Quotes

Hawkeye: [Pierce, who was blinded earlier in the episode, calls out] Is there a doctor in the house?

Frank Burns: What is it, Pierce?

Hawkeye: Oh, Frank, I'm glad you're here - go get a doctor.

[Giving advice to Hawkeye]

Father Mulcahy: This isn't one of my sermons. I expect you to listen.

PA System: Due To circumstances beyond our control, lunch will be served today.

Frank Burns: Why does everyone take an instant dislike to me?

Trapper: It saves time, Frank.

I guess there is no longer much hope for a season with fewer injuries. Not a good sign, and I worry about what the lineup will look like when the team returns in November from the road trip.

I was thinking about the Canes instead of working and a thought came to mind... This was discussed previously, but from what I understand, teams take out insurance on their highest paid players in case of injury so they won't have to pay their salary (the insurance company does instead)... So if Williams is insured does that mean we arent responsible for his salary and if so doesn't that put our payroll closer to the cap we set for ourselves? And if this is the case, I feel even stronger about my previous comment about the need to spend some money. These injuries will continue my friends... I hope I am wrong, do I ever hope I am wrong, but for once I fear the Canes could have trouble scoring. Too many injured/injury prone players in a fast moving system that will only put them at risk.

I missed that totally yesterday. Scottie was a beast yesterday.

Me too. He played over 15 minutes and I never noticed him missing. Must have been something he thought he could play through but instead it got worse as the game went on or immediately after.

I was thinking about the Canes instead of working and a thought came to mind... This was discussed previously, but from what I understand, teams take out insurance on their highest paid players in case of injury so they won't have to pay their salary (the insurance company does instead)... So if Williams is insured does that mean we arent responsible for his salary and if so doesn't that put our payroll closer to the cap we set for ourselves? And if this is the case, I feel even stronger about my previous comment about the need to spend some money. These injuries will continue my friends... I hope I am wrong, do I ever hope I am wrong, but for once I fear the Canes could have trouble scoring. Too many injured/injury prone players in a fast moving system that will only put them at risk.

Knowing next to nothing about how NHL insurance works, I find it hard to believe that Williams would be able to get coverage. Two big knee injuries don't help him out any, so maybe it was too risky? And if his salary is covered by insurance all that really means is that we are right at our original salary cap, so going out and spending the money once again (and on who, I have no idea) just puts us back over. And he should be back around February, so his entire salary won't be paid for.

Knowing next to nothing about how NHL insurance works, I find it hard to believe that Williams would be able to get coverage. Two big knee injuries don't help him out any, so maybe it was too risky? And if his salary is covered by insurance all that really means is that we are right at our original salary cap, so going out and spending the money once again (and on who, I have no idea) just puts us back over. And he should be back around February, so his entire salary won't be paid for.

it has to do with body parts, he won't be covered on his knee but because it was his foot then he is. That is if we are talking the insurance that covers his salary.