The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

2008-09 Injuries

New update to Chip's blog:

In part:

Hurricanes center Brandon Sutter was to be released from a Long Island hospital today and will return to Raleigh on Monday, general manager Jim Rutherford said.

"The doctors in Raleigh will continue to observe him," Rutherford said, noting Sutter's return to the team had not been determined.

Rutherford said defenseman Joni Pitkanen, who injured a knee in Saturday's game, will have arthroscopic surgery Tuesday to correct meniscus damage and would be out two to three weeks.

Rutherford said Dwight Helminen would be recalled from the Albany River Rats to fill Sutter's spot on the roster.

I say let Brookbank go to pounding on colin campbell if nothing is done about this. sure the hit was legal, but something must be done about these head shots.

Anyone see hockey night in canada on the nhl network saturday night? To add insult in yet another injury, Don Cherry commented that the hit was Sutter's fault by reaching out for the puck while Weight was in the same path as Sutter. Cherry said Sutter should know better then to reach out for a puck with a player that close that is going to hit him. Cherry gave another example where i think involved an LA king where the exact samekind of hit happened. I respect Don Cherry and all, but blaming Sutter is a bit much. Sutter was haing a great game and he just wanted to give it his all and play hard for his team and win. So i applauld Brandon and his willingingness to give it his all for his team and wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Any word on who will replaced Pitkanen? I am hoping Conboy will be called up...but it will either be him or Borer most likely.

Babchuk will just be back in the lineup.

New update to http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/sutter-to-return-to-raleigh' target="_blank">Chip's blog[/post]:

Rutherford said defenseman Joni Pitkanen, who injured a knee in Saturday's game, will have arthroscopic surgery Tuesday to correct meniscus damage and would be out two to three weeks.

I read three to four weeks, which means he will probably miss around 15 games being that November is the team's busiest month - sigh.

what happened to sutter was not anyones fault, it was just a hit, a hit that happened to catch Brandon with his head down in mid ice. I dont know if any of you have played hockey, but its extemely fast as you can tell from watching the games, but playing it, theres no time to react. Weight just wanted to hit him cleanely, which he did, but at the last second Sutter put his head down, and had his arms in an awkward position. There should be no discipline, its just a hit. I really hope Sutter can recover because I like the style of hockey he plays.

jeff

I say let Brookbank go to pounding on colin campbell if nothing is done about this. sure the hit was legal, but something must be done about these head shots.

Anyone see hockey night in canada on the nhl network saturday night? To add insult in yet another injury, Don Cherry commented that the hit was Sutter's fault by reaching out for the puck while Weight was in the same path as Sutter. Cherry said Sutter should know better then to reach out for a puck with a player that close that is going to hit him. Cherry gave another example where i think involved an LA king where the exact samekind of hit happened. I respect Don Cherry and all, but blaming Sutter is a bit much. Sutter was haing a great game and he just wanted to give it his all and play hard for his team and win. So i applauld Brandon and his willingingness to give it his all for his team and wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Well, we all knew Pitkanen was an injury risk.

So glad that the injury potentials always turn out to be fulfilled with this team...we never miss a beat in that department.

Pitkanen was out with a knee injury last year. I wonder if its the same knee and if its been bothering him and last night just made it worse.

So glad that the injury potentials always turn out to be fulfilled with this team...we never miss a beat in that department.

If only we got points for losing key players at critical times in the season, then we'd be set!

EDIT: The teeny-tiny bright spot here is I am a little excited to see Babchuk play. Hopefully he can surprise us all... in a good way.

If only we got points for losing key players at critical times in the season, then we'd be set!

EDIT: The teeny-tiny bright spot here is I am a little excited to see Babchuk play. Hopefully he can surprise us all... in a good way.

Oh yeah, 'cause he looked great in Los Angeles.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: I apologize if I've come across as bitingly sarcastic today. It's been a tough weekend. <_<

Ok, so Dwight is coming up to help at center...no prob...he seems to be doing pretty well at the Rats - had a good camp too...I look forward to seeing what he can do. Give Dan some more time too.

We really need to bring Conboy up for some toughness. Put him and Brookbank on the ice at the same time. We need to show teams they can't get away with * bleep *.

Come on Scotty - we need ya!

I'm not defending Cherry, but Sutter made a rookie mistake. Weight is one of the classiest guys in the whole league and I can't imagine he intended to knock Sutter out like that. Sutter put his head down at the worst of times and Weight finished the hit. You could tell by the look on Dougie's face that he was very concerned about Sutter, and I'm sure he was thinking, "why did he put his head down?" It sucks, badly, but *edit* happens, and injuries, especially to this team.

I think JRs blasting of the NHL has nothing to do with Weight and everything about finally putting a stop to all of these head shots. Concussions inevitably happen, but there are countless concussions being thrown around this league and the talent pool is suffering - that means a worse product is put on the ice, and from a business perspective, there is no higher priority. Even if it is virtually impossible to measure with statistically, the bottom line is this: protecting the players and ending the *head shots* means more revenue, and if this league can't be motivated by that, then it certainly won't be motivated by safety alone.

I think JRs blasting of the NHL has nothing to do with Weight and everything about finally putting a stop to all of these head shots. Concussions inevitably happen, but there are countless concussions being thrown around this league and the talent pool is suffering - that means a worse product is put on the ice, and from a business perspective, there is no higher priority. Even if it is virtually impossible to measure with statistically, the bottom line is this: protecting the players and ending the *head shots* means more revenue, and if this league can't be motivated by that, then it certainly won't be motivated by safety alone.

This sums it up nicely. Imagine if Sutter or another of the young stars of the league had a career ending concussion or even worse. The owners/teams/league can not afford this.

Stroke of genius by Rutherford carrying 8 defenseman. Brilliant. Now if only we carried 20 forwards. When is Walker due back?

Stroke of genius by Rutherford carrying 8 defenseman. Brilliant. Now if only we carried 20 forwards. When is Walker due back?
Walker is supposed to be back at practice this week. If so, I would guess that means about one more week until he's in the line-up. Hopefully, Scotty can refrain from fisticuffs until everything is 100%.

Ok, so Dwight is coming up to help at center...no prob...he seems to be doing pretty well at the Rats - had a good camp too...I look forward to seeing what he can do. Give Dan some more time too.

We really need to bring Conboy up for some toughness. Put him and Brookbank on the ice at the same time. We need to show teams they can't get away with * bleep *.

Come on Scotty - we need ya!

Release from the River Rats today:

ALBANY, NY - The Albany River Rats announced today that center Dwight Helminen has been recalled to their parent club, the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League.

Helminen, who signed a one-year two-way NHL contract with Carolina this summer, was recalled on an emergency basis after rookie center Brandon Sutter suffered an injury during the Hurricanes’ 4-3 win over the New York Islanders Saturday night at Nassau Coliseum. With only eleven healthy forwards on Carolina’s roster, it looks promising that Helminen will make his NHL debut on Tuesday night, October 28th, when the Hurricanes travel to Montreal for a 7:30 pm face off with the Montreal Canadiens at the Bell Centre.

A jersey blogger has an update on Brandon from his father.

Brandon Sutter "improving"

Devils coach Brent Sutter said his son, Brandon, is "improving" after the Carolina Hurricanes rookie center suffered a concussion and lost consciousness on a hit by the Islanders on Saturday night.

Sutter drove his son to Penn Station in New York this morning to catch a train back to Raleigh, N.C. because he is not allowed to fly so soon after having a concussio. The train left Penn Station at 7 a.m. and is supposed to arrive in Raleigh at 4:30 p.m

Brandon Sutter spent Sunday night at his father's condo in New Jersey after being released from North Shore Hospital on Long Island earlier in the day. Brent Sutter said he spent Saturday night at the hospital with Brandon, who was held overnight in intensive care.

"They monitored him very closely," Brent Sutter said.

Sutter said his son did not recognize him at first.

"He kept asking the (Hurricanes) trainer questions," Sutter said. "He said, 'what was the score tonight? Who did we play?' He slept a little bit and woke up and said, 'Dad! What are you doing here?'"

Sutter said his son's memory improved by Sunday morning, though he still does no remember the hit by Weight or anything that happened after it.

"That's normal for anybody," Sutter said. "Sometimes you get your memory back quicker."

Sutter got word that his son was injured on the bus ride back from Philadelphia on Saturday night. His wife, Connie, watched it live on television from Red Deer, Alberta.

"It was hard on her," Sutter said. "She was watching the game. She was pretty upset about it."

Sutter said his wife planned to go to Raleigh and stay with Brandon for a week. "He can't do much," he said. "He can't drive."

Sutter didn't see a replay of the hit until Sunday. He tried to avoid talking about it, "I told myself I wouldn't respond when I get asked about it because I'm Brandon's dad and I'm coaching at the same level.

"I'll just say a check like that wouldn't have happened 20 years ago," he said.

The more he spoke the more he said, though.

"In today's game it's considered a clean check, yet it's a check that is also a very dangerous check," Sutter said. "When a player is vulnerable like that, you're putting yourself in a position to injure another player."

Brandon Sutter was leaning forward, trying to handle a puck that had rolled off his stick when Weight hit him.

"Brandon won't do that again," Sutter said. "He's a pretty smart player."

Sutter admitted he was "knocked out 10-11, time in my career and I played through it. I'm not saying that's a good thing. That's probably why I'm screwed up now."

Sutter admitted it was fortunate that his son was injured on Long Island, which allowed him to go visit him, but said it would have been better if Brandon wasn't injured at all.

"I wish he could have been on the flight to Montreal with the team and it didn't happen," he said. "But it happened and the Hurricanes did a great job."

Thanks for posting the blog from Brandons dad. I guess its way too early to speculate on how long he will be out. I hope he has a speedy recovery and that it doesn't effect his progress. He seemed to be getting better every game. Get well soon-we need you!

Why did a Jersey blogger get this information before Chip did? Jeez, this guy needs to get his act together.

May be it's a bit easier for Jersey's blogger to see Brent Sutter, Brandon's dad, NJ Devils head coach?

But in overal Chip wasn't efficient with updates for the last two days.

Why did a Jersey blogger get this information before Chip did? Jeez, this guy needs to get his act together.

Because it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that Brent Sutter is a phone call away <_<