The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BigMiike

Instant replay used to call a penalty

They were reviewing the goal. Cullen was going into the box the entire time, which was why he was standing over there. The goaltender interference came on the rebound after the potential goal that was reviewed.

you're right because if why would they review the goal if there was a penalty which would cancel out the goal anyway?

as was discussed in the post-game show: it makes no sense

That was really a strange situation. Not sure it would have changed the outcome of the game but it did show the reffing had some inconsistencies tonight.

So they were saying that the goaltender interference came after the potential goal? If so, that makes sense, but that is not what it looked like happened. Also, an explanation from the referee would have helped.

My view was at the game and of course there was no replay for us to see. I don't know how they singled a player out for a penalty when there were 10 guys laying in the crease.

Here's my take on the situation: the replay guys saw that it was close and decided to check the replay before a penalty was officially called, because they either didn't think there was a penalty or missed the call. I heard the horn sound before everyone got up off the ice and the situation could be assessed by the refs. The on-ice officials thought the whole time that it was goaltender interference (it wasn't) and were never going to call it a goal. The refs on the ice I believe have no say over whether or not a play is reviewed. It would've been very interesting to see what would happen if the replay officials called it a goal.

way I see it, if they HAD used the replay for that then they woulda saw Cullen get checked into Nitty and not have called it.

But they didnt

They were reviewing the goal. Cullen was going into the box the entire time, which was why he was standing over there. The goaltender interference came on the rebound after the potential goal that was reviewed.

This is correct; not sure why everyone else here seems so baffled.

I was watching the game on television and I'm almost certain I saw the ref's arm go up before the whistle right after Cullen went into the goalie (not gonna try to spell his name). I was kind of hoping that it'd be a Flyers penalty but I figured it was gonna be Cullen. I am kind of confused as to why they reviewed the goal though. If they are going to call a penalty on the 'Canes then the whistle would end the play after a potential 'Canes shot so they wouldn't be able to score unless one of the Flyers O'byrned themselves.

This is correct; not sure why everyone else here seems so baffled.

but if Cullen was getting a penalty the whole time then that would mean there's no goal no matter what so why would they need to review it?

but if Cullen was getting a penalty the whole time then that would mean there's no goal no matter what so why would they need to review it?

As someone else has already said, Cullen's penalty came after the initial shot that they wanted to review. If that puck had been knocked in, it would have been a goal, then a penalty for Cullen. But of course the puck didn't go in, so it was just a penalty against Cullen for pushing his arms out at the goalie after first being pushed into him.

Make sense? They reviewed what happened before Cullen "elbowed" the goaltender.

^ To your point, I actually don't think there would have been a penalty to Cullen if there had been a goal, because the play would have technically ended therefore it wouldn't be possible to get a goaltender interference penalty.

^ To your point, I actually don't think there would have been a penalty to Cullen if there had been a goal, because the play would have technically ended therefore it wouldn't be possible to get a goaltender interference penalty.

So roughing after the whistle doesn't exist? :P

Penalties for anything can be called after play is stopped.

I agree, they knew for a fact the puck wasn't in so why would they have to review a penalty. Waste of time

They didnt review the penalty, they reviewed the goal. Though I dont know why, lol.

So roughing after the whistle doesn't exist? tongue.gif

Penalties for anything can be called after play is stopped.

Actually, they can't. Roughing can be called at any time, but a penalty like goalie interference only occurs during play.

Actually, they can't. Roughing can be called at any time, but a penalty like goalie interference only occurs during play.

Find that in the rule book. Its not there. Any penalty can be called at any time. Trust me on that. I ref. :P

You know, goals can happen by a defensive player knocking it in. So you could have penalty called, puck live, defenseman knocks it in... GOAL. Then a penalty enforced. So a review, depending on the confusion in front of the net, could be justified.