The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

I voted when its obvious we will miss the playoffs. Being below .500 in the first 10-15 games could actually happen even if we were a good team the rest of the year because we will be playing some really tough teams and only 2 of 9 at home. I wanted to vote if were .500 by Christmas but teams have made the playoffs after worse. If we miss the playoffs again though there is no doubt in my mind Lavi is gone.

However he could manage to stay if we get bit by the injury bug agin and set another record for Man Games Lost, and he could probably have that as an excuse if we lose some key players.

I put end of season.. but obviously not if its a successful season... hard to put a difference between "obvious we miss the playoffs" and end of season since that might only be 1 or 2 games before the end like last year.

I put end of season.. but obviously not if its a successful season... hard to put a difference between "obvious we miss the playoffs" and end of season since that might only be 1 or 2 games before the end like last year.

Good point. What I meant was letting him finish the season eventhough we might have only a slim to no chance of sqeezing into the POs. Can I still change that in the poll to clarify that?

Good point. What I meant was letting him finish the season eventhough we might have only a slim to no chance of sqeezing into the POs. Can I still change that in the poll to clarify that?

Yes you can. Just click full edit and you can change the poll options.

I voted for under .500 for 10-15 games.

Now, I wouldn't go the first 10-15 games, but a little longer than. Last season, wasn't it the Caps/Thrashers that fired their coach because of similar results, and voila, they stepped it up a notch?? Same could apply here I guess. Great guy, lots of respect and thanks for the Cup.

But as previously said, it's a business, and when you're losing that much like that, I think it's time for a change.

It's no secret that coach Laviolette is in the hot seat this year because he missed the playoffs again. As much as respect Laviolette as a person and coach, I also understand that hockey is a business and in the end it's only the results that count. To me, JR already put his chess piece in place to turn up the heat (Tom Rowe, eventhough it might only be a temporary meassure) and now it's up to Lavi to show and pray that he still has it. I sure don't want to see the Canes come out of the gate slow and struggle early on and the tough schedule is not in Lavi's favor, so what criteria would you go by if you were JR trying to save the season?

Once again we have a thread/poll on Lavi getting canned but everyone gives JR a free ride!! What gives?? A coach can only work with the talent he is given. Are you gonna start a "Lavi get's a raise" if we get off to a good start?

Interesting how differently everyone feels about it.

I think by Christmas we'll have the answer. IMO, the first 10-15 games while imporant, wont be a good indicator of how the team has come together. All teams go on losing streaks at one point or another and divisional races dont really mean too much till further into the season. Waiting till its apparent they'll miss the playoffs or even till the end of the season is too late and in a small market like ours, they cant afford to wait till its too late.

Since JR attributed the poor finish to last season to a couple of costly lulls in Nov and Dec last season, Im sure that will be the factor most taken into consideration when deciding on Laviolette's future. Im optimistic he'll be given ample time to pull this team together as he figures out what and who works best for the overall success of the team. I also hope they give him the freedom to make this team his team, and create the atmosphere that all the players felt contributed to the success the year they won the Cup.

Cheers to him having a good bounce back season (although he kept them in thee with a team made up of AHLers), and if he doesnt, hopefully the right decision will be made in the best interest of the team.

The next time I see the "What in the world do I do now?" look - the same look he had on his face when Ottawa came into the RBC Center last January (I think) and ran us out of the building behind the easiest shutout of Martin Gerber's career - for which he didn't get the victory for due to the goofy "injury" to Emery.

I said under .500 by Christmas. That's about when Mo was fired and my instinct tells me it would either be then or after the season.

Mhm. Give 'em till Xmas, then bring out the axe if it's warranted.

R U Serious! Talking about firing the coach what if's before training camp has even started. LMAO...

Yes I am serious because there is a chance that it could happen this year. :rolleyes:

Of course, if you feel that Lavi deserves a free ride, feel free to use the last option or at least enlighten us why you think it won't happen.

Are you gonna start a "Lavi get's a raise" if we get off to a good start?

No. But I"ll promise to participate in your poll without highjacking it if you want to start one.

I was just curious to find out what members would go by, if they were in JR's shoes, before they would feel that it was best to let him go.

Once again we have a thread/poll on Lavi getting canned but everyone gives JR a free ride!! What gives?? A coach can only work with the talent he is given. Are you gonna start a "Lavi get's a raise" if we get off to a good start?

I think this is because the coach is more visible then the GM, but how many times have you seen them fire the GM and KEEP a coach? Obviously if JR goes then Lavi is gone too... of course you can drop the coach and keep the GM (Mo to Lavi for example)... but yes your right.. since the GM has a lot to do with trades, drafting and contracts, if the coach is playing his system to a tee and its still not working then obviously the GM has failed somewhere. I think last year we didnt have the talent we needed to play Lavis system, but not because of a wack roster, just because of injuries.. but it was eye opening. If you dont have the exact guys you need it doesnt work like it should.

I chose "End of the season/little chance of making PO's"

I might be a little biased as I think Lavi has done a good job with the team over all and he would deserve to finish out the season. But I also think that the over all performance of the team last year after the loss of 2 key players looked better in some ways than when they were on the ice. The integration of new players and motivating others to find that hidden potential has everything to do with good coaching and I think Lavi did that well at the end of last season.

We need to be having this discussion near the end of the season, not two weeks before training camp!! If Lavi gets canned then JR needs to go too!! No matter how good the coach, you can only work with what you are given. Most of you would understand my reason for patience if you had sat thru season after season with Mo.

To often most of you think that after winning the cup in '06, we should win it every year after that. You don't realize just how tough it is to get to the playoffs (after all a crappy November and December kept us out) and once there to win it all. It is never a given but a brutal street fight to the end!!

More fire the coach talk preseason. Well, JR and Karmonas set this up by letting Lavi dangle, while they considered their options, when it should have been a no-brainer.

Laviolette is an excellent coach and now that the decision has been made to go with him this year, I think he will get every reasonable chance to stay. The first 10 games are brutal, so a bad record during this time would only be relevant if it was really bad, say 3-7 or worse. The key will be how hard the team plays during that stretch.

November is the month to watch. We are stacked with home games. Nice spacing. Only one back to back vs. a rested team, and that team is Florida (Ottawa will not be rested having also played back to back). If we don't have a good record in November the grumbling will start, and only a very strong December will save the coach.

That said, I am a believer in Laviollette. With all of the new players, energy will be high. With the combo of Corvo and Pitkanen pushing the puck up to the deepest top 9 forwards in the NHL, and adding goals themselves, and what I think will gell into an "adequate" defensive defense. We will score like crazy and win enough games. If Cam steps his game up a notch, we will be in great shape by the beggining of December.

I know it is an exceedingly unpopular and controversial point of view on these boards, but this team easily makes the playoffs if Cam had the statstical season of an average NHL goalie the last 2 years. Hard to blame the coach for that.

As far as JR going if Laviollette goes, are you NUTS? Seriously. I do not think that Laviollette's Stanley Cup was a fluke, but the argument can be reasoably made that it might have been. But JR has taken this small, non hockey market team to 2 Stanley Cup Finals with two different coaches and largely different teams in a short space of time. He has earned more saftey than to be at risk with two seasons that just barely missed the playoffs with a subpar goalie and injuries up the ying yang.

We would have to miss the playoffs at least two more years before JR's seat even gets warm.

Where's the poll option "coach of the Maple Leafs"? :P

I'm gonna have to say out of the poll options provided that its being under 500 by Christmas. It gives the coach a chance to get things in gear and if it hasn't by then, then one can't normally blame then. However, like was mentioned it isn't always the coaches fault, but if he has a team that is good on paper then he should be doing well on the ice.

More fire the coach talk preseason. Well, JR and Karmonas set this up by letting Lavi dangle, while they considered their options, when it should have been a no-brainer.

Laviolette is an excellent coach and now that the decision has been made to go with him this year, I think he will get every reasonable chance to stay. The first 10 games are brutal, so a bad record during this time would only be relevant if it was really bad, say 3-7 or worse. The key will be how hard the team plays during that stretch.

November is the month to watch. We are stacked with home games. Nice spacing. Only one back to back vs. a rested team, and that team is Florida (Ottawa will not be rested having also played back to back). If we don't have a good record in November the grumbling will start, and only a very strong December will save the coach.

That said, I am a believer in Laviolette. With all of the new players, energy will be high. With the combo of Corvo and Pitkanen pushing the puck up to the deepest top 9 forwards in the NHL, and adding goals themselves, and what I think will gell into an "adequate" defensive defense. We will score like crazy and win enough games. If Cam steps his game up a notch, we will be in great shape by the beginning of December.

I know it is an exceedingly unpopular and controversial point of view on these boards, but this team easily makes the playoffs if Cam had the statistical season of an average NHL goalie the last 2 years. Hard to blame the coach for that.

As far as JR going if Laviolette goes, are you NUTS? Seriously. I do not think that Laviolette's Stanley Cup was a fluke, but the argument can be reasonably made that it might have been. But JR has taken this small, non hockey market team to 2 Stanley Cup Finals with two different coaches and largely different teams in a short space of time. He has earned more safety than to be at risk with two seasons that just barely missed the playoffs with a sub par goalie and injuries up the ying yang.

We would have to miss the playoffs at least two more years before JR's seat even gets warm.

Just as you have given him credit for what he has done (JR) you also have to be realistic and given him credit for what he hasn't done. If we listen to the "experts" here he hasn't spent to the cap to get us the Jagr's and Shanahans (sp) of the league. Technically he could have traded the whole team at the last trade deadline and brought in the top in the league. **sarcasm alert** The only point I am trying to make is that JR shouldn't be given a free ride at the expense of Laviolette. There are those that will say if we get off to a bad start it will be because we traded Cole, that was JR's doing and not Laviolette.

JR usually waits until things are absolutely screwed before making a move.... dealing kapanen....dealing for corvo... I do believe even Maurice was fired way to late in the year.

JR usually waits until things are absolutely screwed before making a move.... dealing Kapanen....dealing for Corvo... I do believe even Maurice was fired way to late in the year.

I won't argue that, I was chanting "Mo must go!" month's before that happened. That season folks were chanting that after every loss which there were lots.

Wow 58 votes and some interesting points. We even got Marcus to chime in with an opinon :o .

I guess its safe to say the Hauser struck a chord with this topic.

And for those that say JR should be on the hot seat for not spending to the cap and going out and getting star UFA'a, its Karmanos that controls the pocketbook. Did some of JR's aquisitions not pan out....sure. Could he have made some moves sooner...sure. Overall, he's spun gold out of thread (if thats the right cliche) in this non-traditional market that had NO exposure to the NHL before the Canes came into town. Find me another GM thats as well respected around the league and has produced the success that JR has down here, staying well within the salary cap. -Of course this is only my opinion.

JR should be held a bit accountable, his deal for Corve should have happened at least a month earlier. We'd lose 2-3 and he'd be ready to make the move and we'd win one and he'd settle back down until the next 2-3 game losing streak.

Everyone from Karmanos down to Coaching down to the players is accountable for last season.

Usually I feel maganagement gives us the best possible team to play each season but it absolutely ticked me off management AND the forums felt last season a 3rd line center was our biggest need given how bad our D was the year before. Just about the entire forum was looking for a 3rd line center while I sat here and said...Ya know....our D looks like booty. To which the response was OMG we got Cullen we're set for the season.

JR should be held a bit accountable, his deal for Corvo should have happened at least a month earlier. We'd lose 2-3 and he'd be ready to make the move and we'd win one and he'd settle back down until the next 2-3 game losing streak.

Everyone from Karmanos down to Coaching down to the players is accountable for last season.

Usually I feel management gives us the best possible team to play each season but it absolutely ticked me off management AND the forums felt last season a 3rd line center was our biggest need given how bad our D was the year before. Just about the entire forum was looking for a 3rd line center while I sat here and said...Ya know....our D looks like booty. To which the response was OMG we got Cullen we're set for the season.

I agree, our D has looked shoddy the last two seasons. This is the first time I think we really look good.

JR should be held a bit accountable, his deal for Corve should have happened at least a month earlier. We'd lose 2-3 and he'd be ready to make the move and we'd win one and he'd settle back down until the next 2-3 game losing streak.

Usually I feel maganagement gives us the best possible team to play each season but it absolutely ticked me off management AND the forums felt last season a 3rd line center was our biggest need given how bad our D was the year before. Just about the entire forum was looking for a 3rd line center while I sat here and said...Ya know....our D looks like booty. To which the response was OMG we got Cullen we're set for the season.

I dont know about that one, I could link back to multiple threads questioning the defense last season from these boards, Lukes Blog and the so called experts. Cullen was a huge piece and I get why folks were excited about that but I dont think everyone overlooked the defensive shortcomings.

A agree that JR and Karmanos should also be held accountable for their decisions and for thinking that the team last year would somehow overcome its complacency on its own, but JR doesnt control the overall financial decisions just like Laviolette doesnt get to choose all his players.