The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

There is no question that we have not seen the team that JR and Lavi envisioned for this year. Given the schedule, and our injuries (including Staal and Brind'Amour) our record is really nothing short of amazing. Even with the super soft losses to Washington and Atlanta.

The thing is Brind'Amour seems to be showing signs of life. The team is now at full strength on paper. The only missing ingredient is Williams and it will be great to have him back, but most teams have at least one significant player injured.

Our 3 fairly long term injured players have a couple of games under their belts (Pitkanen, Cullen, Sutter). The goalies are both playing relatively well.

Now is the time for this team to start taking steps forward as a unit. It mostly comes down to Staal. What is holding him back? Solve that and many pieces will start to fall into place (ie: Samsonov). I think that this team is one full on Eric Staal away from turning it on and rising to at least a second tier top team, if not better.

Going forward watch Staal, and watch the goal-differencial. The really good teams always have the better goal differential. This is one indicater that we have not been quite as good as our record.

Tonight will be a real test. Montreal is one of, if not the best team in the East. Very interesting indeed.

The thing falling into place needs to be Sammy falling of the top line. Move Cullen up to play wing with Staal and Ruutu. Let Chad or Sutter center the third line. He could even let Sutter take some shifts at wing on the top line. Staal played a lot of wing as a rookie. I would love to see Sammy return to form, but I think he is hurting production on the top line at this point. Move him down ,and take some pressure off. They could also try him on the PK to try to get him more involved. His speed and creativity might lead to some shorthanded chanches.

The thing falling into place needs to be Sammy falling of the top line. Move Cullen up to play wing with Staal and Ruutu. Let Chad or Sutter center the third line. He could even let Sutter take some shifts at wing on the top line. Staal played a lot of wing as a rookie. I would love to see Sammy return to form, but I think he is hurting production on the top line at this point. Move him down ,and take some pressure off. They could also try him on the PK to try to get him more involved. His speed and creativity might lead to some shorthanded chanches.

I disagree, as I believe in putting you most outstanding forward with your most underachieving one...that makes the Samsonov-Staal-Ruutu line perfect to me. That's how Washington got Ovechkin going, putting him with Semin.

I'm not in the "Lavi must go" crowd....but I am critical of his system, when it pertains to taking the body and enforcing. I think that his system is so much of a "puck" pursuit system, that our players are rarely taking the body in the corners. In fact usually taking big hits while pursuing the puck. I understand it's a physical game, but that's how you BEAT a puck pursuit system, you HIT. Laviolette rarely uses his "enforcer" even though Brookbank did score a goal Sunday. I firmly believe that there is a place for these kinds of players in the NHL. Especially in situations like that Sutter hit. Win or lose, PK or not, Brookbank should have been on the ice next shift. I understand that players have more responsibilities than to fight, but maybe every team in the league wouln't take a run at them, if they knew there were consequences for it.

BTW, happy to see Justin practicing...WAAAAY ahead of schedule. Eaves-Sutter-Williams, is gonna be SICK.

I disagree, as I believe in putting you most outstanding forward with your most underachieving one...that makes the Samsonov-Staal-Ruutu line perfect to me. That's how Washington got Ovechkin going, putting him with Semin.

I'm not in the "Lavi must go" crowd....but I am critical of his system, when it pertains to taking the body and enforcing. I think that his system is so much of a "puck" pursuit system, that our players are rarely taking the body in the corners. In fact usually taking big hits while pursuing the puck. I understand it's a physical game, but that's how you BEAT a puck pursuit system, you HIT. Laviolette rarely uses his "enforcer" even though Brookbank did score a goal Sunday. I firmly believe that there is a place for these kinds of players in the NHL. Especially in situations like that Sutter hit. Win or lose, PK or not, Brookbank should have been on the ice next shift. I understand that players have more responsibilities than to fight, but maybe every team in the league wouln't take a run at them, if they knew there were consequences for it.

BTW, happy to see Justin practicing...WAAAAY ahead of schedule. Eaves-Sutter-Williams, is gonna be SICK.

Most of the time I would agree with your theory about that line, but I think it is far more important to this team to get Staal going than to get Sammy going. Sammy has always benefited by the production of others[ Joe Thornton], and Staal needs to get going.

Most of the time I would agree with your theory about that line, but I think it is far more important to this team to get Staal going than to get Sammy going. Sammy has always benefited by the production of others[ Joe Thornton], and Staal needs to get going.

+1

Bingo.

My point is...it's not lack of effort of Samsonov's part... he's doing what he needs to do, he just can't find the back of the net. It's very obvious (at least to me) that Staal has a shoulder injury. Looking at his shot, it's normally wide, and doesn't have the "zip" on it. But Staal still makes the players around him BETTER. So, because Ruutu is the hottest forward we have right now, and since Staal can still make plays, and bring the puck up the ice, I think it's just a matter of time before Samsonov starts netting goals. The only other option is with Brindy...wasn't that where he was last season. So switch he and Whitney? There's another one who needs to get going.

BTW: Ruutu has quickly become my favorite player this season....

Yanno....it's more than Staal and Samsonov. I mean, Eaves, you could say Cullen, maybe even Brindy early (looks like he's on a bad wheel) have all been underachieving. Ruutu, and Larose are really the only two standouts I see....and of course Sutter before the injury, he's looking better and better though. So to me....like, half the team needs to step it up.

4 points out of the first 2 games of the remainder of the homestand should relieve some pressure. At least 2 more points out of the next 2 games (PHX and NSH) is still a must. The team has definitely responded by bringing stronger work ethic, and fortunately the good results have followed.

After the last few games the "HOTSEAT" may have been put on the back burner!!

Yes, and JR comes out and says, in effect, "what hot seat? There was never a hot seat." It would appear that any increase in temperature on that seat has been put on ice.

This is geting out of hand. Samsonov scores? Staal nets three? Whitney continues to contribute key goals night after night, including the game winner against Montreal? There's just one thing to do: Fire the Coach.

Injured players are coming back and stepping right up. Walker takes all of thre minutes to score in his first game back. Pitkanen gets three assists against Phoenix and is +4 on the night. D is contributing on the scoresheet more often than ever. Why Babchuk should have even gotten an assist last night on the one goal Phoenix managed to score against Carolina

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm 52? If I was ever on the fire Lavi bandwagon, I apologize. I might have thunk it. I do think things are going very well right now.

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm 52?

Aw shucks, you did. Nothing like the repetitive sarcasm when I got carried away on post #163 on page 9 above. I think Lavi has done a remarkable job this year.

We fans were just too eager to see last year's underperformance resurface like a B-Movie Vampire. My biggest beef was with the guys thinking Samsonov not scoring was the same as Samsonov not playing. He's been playing great the past two weeks, with takeaways and interceptions. He often seemed to be right in the perfect spot and that was no fluke. I just hope his goals start flowing to feed the fickle fans.

Lavi must either be doing something very right or very wrong. If memory serves me correctly, at least 6 of our 10 wins have been come form behind, at least four were 2 or more goals form behind. this team will win a lot of hockey games, they will control games but not dominate games. That isthe team's identity and all things considered, is a good one.

Then coach needs to coach 'em to

ALWAYS let the other team score first...the old rule:

K.I.S.S.

that's what I'd say...

Carolina is 7-3-1 when its opponent scores first.

Carolina is 7-3-1 when its opponent scores first.

Based on NHL.com stats, that 7-3-1 puts Carolina second on the list of 30 NHL teams for percentage of possible points when the opponent scored first, at .636.

In contrast, last year Carolina was 6th, with a .362 record, based on a 17-27-3 won/lost record.

In other words, twenty games into this season the Canes have already earned 15 points when the opponent scored first and are staging comebacks at almost double the rate of last season.

Another telling statistic showing the comeback nature of this team, is the fact Carolina is earning .375 percent of the available points when trailing after two periods (7 poiints in 8 games). Even the Stanley Cup "Whatever It Takes" team that was known for its comebacks earned only .226 percent of available points on a 7-19-5 record (19 points in 31 games) when trailing after two periods (6th in the NHL that year). In the past two years, comebacks dried up considerably as the Canes managed to win only 5 of 32 games (12 points) and 4 of 31 (10 points) when they trailed after two in 2006-07 and 2007-08 respectively. Seven points in just 8 games when trailing after two is immense.

Of course, the more intriguing question is "Why should this team be depending on comebacks?" The Canes should be racing out to early leads and taking over the game. The Stanley Cup team went 36-3-2 when they scored first. This year, the Canes, at 4-4-1 when scoring first, have already lost more games in 9 instances 20 games into the season than the Stanley Cup champs did all year, and that is a cause for concern.

the last quote from the preds game news and observer article says it all. when lavi was asked why the team didn't come out and play a full 60 minutes," I don't know why." This to me should be unacceptable. You're the coach, take some responsibility. Also, something that really irks me is that Lavi just shirked off the exit interviews last yr because he didn't see a need. He just seems like such a lax coach, so ready to pass the buck, doesn't take responsibility for his actions. I really do think it's time for a change, hopefully sooner rather than later...

Not only should Lavi's feet be held to the fire but so should the players. Where are the leaders in the locker room? Do they also have the I don't know why attitude?

Yeah, you get paid the same whether you're playing hockey or golf in mid April! The only players that seem to be giving 100% every game are the ones who will be RFAs and UFAs next summer (Bayda, Larose, Ruutu, Seidenberg)

Yeah, you get paid the same whether you're playing hockey or golf in mid April! The only players that seem to be giving 100% every game are the ones who will be RFAs and UFAs next summer (Bayda, Larose, Ruutu, Seidenberg)

That isn't exactly true, there are win shares if you take home the cup if I'm not mistaken. Not that those are large enough to give anyone any extra incentive though.

let's not forget walker, he almost never takes a game off.

OK, yeah, in all fairness, Walker and Sutter, and even Gleason have also shown a lot of effort and they don't take shifts off, but you get my point. The guys locked up on big lengthy contracts seem to be the ones who are the most inconsistent in both effort and performance.

they need to get rid of lavy. they have been playin this way for about two years now. there is no fire or anything. no physicality at all. this needs to change. they need sometin to shake this team up.

hey melrose is out there now