The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

the last quote from the preds game news and observer article says it all. when lavi was asked why the team didn't come out and play a full 60 minutes," I don't know why." This to me should be unacceptable. You're the coach, take some responsibility. Also, something that really irks me is that Lavi just shirked off the exit interviews last yr because he didn't see a need. He just seems like such a lax coach, so ready to pass the buck, doesn't take responsibility for his actions. I really do think it's time for a change, hopefully sooner rather than later...

I agree. Its time. Yesterday's game appeared to me to be completely disorganized from the get go. I couldn't even tell you what the assigned lines were because every time I looked it was different people. At one point after a play stoppage and face-off....3 different lines were pulled on and off the ice before the puck was dropped. It looked like they didn't know who was supposed to be out there. Its no wonder their passing stinks b/c I'm sure its confusing to have to try to recollect who you are lined up with each time you are out on the ice. I'm so sick and tired of watching the dump-and-chase fail over and over and over. Its not working Coach...try something else...and if he doesn't have anything else to try.....well, let's find someone who does has something else to offer...

Are all you "once in a while" posters gonna keep doing this every time we lose a game?

I mean seriously I only see you guys when we lose... it's getting old.

Are all you "once in a while" posters gonna keep doing this every time we lose a game?

Maybe. Maybe not. What difference does it make? Are the opinions of those with less than 1000 posts insignificant?

the last quote from the preds game news and observer article says it all. when lavi was asked why the team didn't come out and play a full 60 minutes," I don't know why." This to me should be unacceptable. You're the coach, take some responsibility. Also, something that really irks me is that Lavi just shirked off the exit interviews last yr because he didn't see a need. He just seems like such a lax coach, so ready to pass the buck, doesn't take responsibility for his actions. I really do think it's time for a change, hopefully sooner rather than later...

So is Lavi suppossed to read the players minds and answer their question on why they didn't show up to play. Lavi isn't the one on the ice not showing up. Its the players. Guess he could say "Staal didn't feel like playing today", but really only the player knows why they decided to not show up for a game.

Then again, I think asking the coach why a team didn't show up is stupid. If you want the answer ask the player.

My guess is staal figured he had scored more than enough goals for the weekend, would explain why he had zero shots on goal.

So is Lavi suppossed to read the players minds and answer their question on why they didn't show up to play. Lavi isn't the one on the ice not showing up. Its the players. Guess he could say "Staal didn't feel like playing today", but really only the player knows why they decided to not show up for a game.

Then again, I think asking the coach why a team didn't show up is stupid. If you want the answer ask the player.

I agree but they can't answer truthfully either. None of them, including the coach (other than Torts that is) is going to point a finger at players and throw them under the media bus. Lavi has more class than that.

I agree. Its time. Yesterday's game appeared to me to be completely disorganized from the get go. I couldn't even tell you what the assigned lines were because every time I looked it was different people. At one point after a play stoppage and face-off....3 different lines were pulled on and off the ice before the puck was dropped. It looked like they didn't know who was supposed to be out there. Its no wonder their passing stinks b/c I'm sure its confusing to have to try to recollect who you are lined up with each time you are out on the ice. I'm so sick and tired of watching the dump-and-chase fail over and over and over. Its not working Coach...try something else...and if he doesn't have anything else to try.....well, let's find someone who does has something else to offer...

I'm sure they realize that no matter who they are out there with...it is the guy in the same colored jersey as they are wearing. May be we have a bunch of color blind guys in this team? :unsure:

Maybe. Maybe not. What difference does it make? Are the opinions of those with less than 1000 posts insignificant?

In some instances yes it does matter. Try coming on here and starting a we should have never traded a Jack Johnson thread! :lol:

I'm sure they realize that no matter who they are out there with...it is the guy in the same colored jersey as they are wearing. May be we have a bunch of color blind guys in this team? :unsure:

----Two words: Line Chemistry.

In some instances yes it does matter. Try coming on here and starting a we should have never traded a Jack Johnson thread! :lol:

----Two more words: Forum Chemistry.

im just wondering, but if they did fire laviolette. who would be the replacement? would ronnie franchise ever want to coach?

i think the best bet would be art rowe, after what he did with the rats last year? but i dont know much about him.

I'm not sure what to do anymore...I'll put my trust in the organization for once, but something has got to give. I don't mind losing when there is at least some effort there.

I brought a friend to yesterday's game trying to get him interested. He has never been to one...and it was embarrassing! Here are my friend's questions and my responses:

1. "Why do the Canes keep shooting down the sides?" "Uhhhhh....they're not shooting....it's called dump-and-chase".

2. "They can score with a dump-and-chase?" "Not usually."

3. "How come when we have more guys on the ice than Nashville, we can't score?" "Well, it's tough sometimes".

4. "Even when we have 5 guys and they only have 3?" "Want another beer?"

5. (After the 5-minute outburst by the Canes) "Wow...now that makes for an interesting game." "Yeah...it does...let's see if they can complete a comeback."

6. "Now they are playing like they did earlier...like they have given up." "How about some more BBQ?"

7. "Well...that was interesting...the lightshow at the beginning is cool....but I'm confused why they gave up....(he watches a lot of basketball)....you don't see teams in b-ball give up even when they are down 20 points....coaches would yank them." "Uhhhhh....where did we park again?"

I guess the point I am trying to make is this...even a person who has never seen a live hockey game can see that there is a problem.

I'm not sure what to do anymore...I'll put my trust in the organization for once, but something has got to give. I don't mind losing when there is at least some effort there.

I brought a friend to yesterday's game trying to get him interested. He has never been to one...and it was embarrassing! Here are my friend's questions and my responses:

1. "Why do the Canes keep shooting down the sides?" "Uhhhhh....they're not shooting....it's called dump-and-chase".

2. "They can score with a dump-and-chase?" "Not usually."

3. "How come when we have more guys on the ice than Nashville, we can't score?" "Well, it's tough sometimes".

4. "Even when we have 5 guys and they only have 3?" "Want another beer?"

5. (After the 5-minute outburst by the Canes) "Wow...now that makes for an interesting game." "Yeah...it does...let's see if they can complete a comeback."

6. "Now they are playing like they did earlier...like they have given up." "How about some more BBQ?"

7. "Well...that was interesting...the lightshow at the beginning is cool....but I'm confused why they gave up....(he watches a lot of basketball)....you don't see teams in b-ball give up even when they are down 20 points....coaches would yank them." "Uhhhhh....where did we park again?"

I guess the point I am trying to make is this...even a person who has never seen a live hockey game can see that there is a problem.

Yesterday's game would be a "tough sell" to get somebody to come back to a second game. If that is hockey, I'd rather stay home and watch poker.

im just wondering, but if they did fire laviolette. who would be the replacement? would ronnie franchise ever want to coach?

i think the best bet would be art rowe, after what he did with the rats last year? but i dont know much about him.

I think what Rowe accomplished with the Rats last year has about as much meaning today as what Laviolette did with the Canes three years ago.

The notion of getting rid of Lavi is ridiculous. The simple truth is that the Canes won the Cup and have been in a swoon ever since. When they want to compete they do, and that's despite being saddled with the likes of Wallin, Kaberle and (sorry, but true is true) Roddy. Rutherford did a nice job late last year of putting the fear of God in the guys by trading Commodore; I only wish he'd have waited until the opening day of this season to trade Cole, because that would have sent the same message in a big way, literally from day one. Doing it in the off season was nice for Erik, but a GM has to use all the tools in his box and I think this would have served notice that nobody gets a free ride.

Everybody says it's up to the coach to motivate the team. That's not right. It's up to the coach to guide the team's technique and use its talent as efficiently as possible. If making what these guys are making and the adulation we all bestow upon them isn't enough to motivate them, that's not a coaching problem, it's a personnel problem. JR needs to go out and find guys who want not just to play, but to WIN HOCKEY GAMES.

Yeah...losing to the worst team in the league...yeah...it's time.

YES it is time for JR or the owner to ACT !

November is slipping away, just like it did last year. Hey JR ... are you going to just watch it like you did last year OR are you going to do something this year ? Something BIG has to be changed NOW. A coach, a big player in or out, a BIG SHAKE UP NOW ! SEND A MESSAGE ! Or, we just keep doing the same mediocre thing and miss the playoffs AGAIN, for a 3 year streak. And if that happens, my 8 year season ticket streak will end too. The last 2 games were wins given away, since the Canes didn't show up for either game, except for a few minutes. Embarrasing !

I guess showing up one week a month is good enough for this team. You guys let me know what week in December and maybe I will come to the games.

And bring back Dan LaCouture...at least he tried. And I bet he would not have stood for that high hit on Joni last night.

I guess showing up one week a month is good enough for this team. You guys let me know what week in December and maybe I will come to the games.

And bring back Dan LaCouture...at least he tried. And I bet he would not have stood for that high hit on Joni last night.

I agree, LaCouture would've dropped gloves quick... I personally like LaC's. He scored a couple of goals (crucial goals as well) and a great team player! Won't hesitate to stand for another player. Bring him back JR!!!

It's time...to trade some of our older fowards, namely Brind'Amour and Whitney. At this point in time, this team is just as likely to win with players like Dwyer and Helminen in the line-up as they are with players like Brind'Amour and Whitney. I think it's time to shed those salaries and start to look towards the future.

As much as Rutherford likes no-trade-clauses, I find it odd that neither Brind'Amour or Whitney have one in their contracts as far as I know. I think a situation like this was the exact reason that those no-trade-clauses were excluded.

It's time...to trade some of our older fowards, namely Brind'Amour and Whitney. At this point in time, this team is just as likely to win with players like Dwyer and Helminen in the line-up as they are with players like Brind'Amour and Whitney. I think it's time to shed those salaries and start to look towards the future.

As much as Rutherford likes no-trade-clauses, I find it odd that neither Brind'Amour or Whitney have one in their contracts as far as I know. I think a situation like this was the exact reason that those no-trade-clauses were excluded.

You know, it's sad but true. Every game is a must win, and it ain't happening with these guys. I really feel the same way you do Joe. if we could get some good young talent the future would seem bright. We already have a great start with SUTTER(THE MAN SO FAR), Staal, Pitkanen, Gleason.. etc. . Time for a change!

you guys forget that JR has a minority stake in the business and isn't like to fire himself though he could step down and bring in another GM.

Our team is soft; why does JR NOT FIX THIS?

I asked this question when the season started, after we lost Hordichuck. Brookbank is a TERRIBLE fighter, and is not an enforcer. I swear to God if we went out and got someone like Andrew Peters (just an example) then we wouldn't have all these cheap shot problems.

That, and teach our other players how to hit...because apparentely they've forgotten.

I asked this question when the season started, after we lost Hordichuck. Brookbank is a TERRIBLE fighter, and is not an enforcer. I swear to God if we went out and got someone like Andrew Peters (just an example) then we wouldn't have all these cheap shot problems.

That, and teach our other players how to hit...because apparentely they've forgotten.

In all honesty Brookbank is not given an opportunity to fight the coach has to put you on the ice to fight.

My father has never been a hockey fan. I took him to RBC for the Philly game before Thanksgiving last year - the Danny %*#&@^ Briere hat trick game - and he became interested. Not interested enough to follow the team on a night to night basis, but enough to ask me how we're doing and to stop in and watch a few minutes at a time here and there.

Over the summer, we built on to the house, and what was supposed to be a garage has become a game room of sorts with big screen TV and pool table. Long story short, that's where I watch most of my hockey now, and I find Dad joining me more and more often. I mention this because of this comment:

Every time Dad sits down to watch the Canes with me, he always comments on the lack of physicality. We don't hit enough. We don't fight enough. We don't retaliate enough. That's his usual spiel. Hard to debate him on that. Like Stout said on he last page, when the non-hockey fan picks up on these things, you know there's a problem.

Now I don't think this is a "can't see the forest for the trees" situation - or however the saying goes. I'm fairly sure JR and Laviolette know there's something wrong. But it's obviously something that hasn't be fixed (or can't been fixed) either 1) with these players or 2) with this coach.

I was going to take this conversation in another direction, but I looked at some numbers and they didn't back up my opinion. That being that we can't grind out a low-scoring defensive game, one that lends itself to a physical style. But the scores don't show it. We haven't lost a game this season when we've given up 2 or fewer goals (barring the Montreal shootout loss). Every game we've lost, we gave up at least three, and in five cases more than that. We've won three games when we've scored two or fewer goals. Those are just some stats, but they weren't what I was expecting, and I really don't know what to make of them - if they mean anything at all, which is what I'm tending to think.

You can make the case for physicality, and I'd back you up on that. But the primary problem with this team is consistency. Consistent goaltending, consistent defense, consistent scoring, consistent effort. We get NOTHING on a consistent basis as a team. As fans, we can't go into a game saying, "Well, I can bank on ___________ happening."

[end ramble]

You can make the case for physicality, and I'd back you up on that. But the primary problem with this team is consistency. Consistent goaltending, consistent defense, consistent scoring, consistent effort. We get NOTHING on a consistent basis as a team. As fans, we can't go into a game saying, "Well, I can bank on ___________ happening."

And I think this point goes hand in hand with the "Why can't this team draw flies" attendance thread. To hook a new fan, I think consistent effort would be a good start. Now, just how much of this falls on the coach/coaching staff?