The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

Yes it's time now. November record 7W 9L. This was supposed to be our home ice advantage month. Our team looks great on paper and I beleive they can be great. Laviolettes system dosen't work with this group of guys anymore. We need a new start with a new attitude and fresh feeling in the room. It seems like hockey coaches do best in there first year or two with a team, new system gets every body refreshed and energized , than its gets old and stale and players forget how to play with fire in them. He's a good coach, but has run his course and its time for a new one. I predict it will be done this week. I hope it will be done this week.

I hear ya, but again, they don't dump and chase when they're winning, and nobody's calling for Lavi's head when they are, either. The only way to wake this team up is to cut the dead wood, and that despite all they've done for us in the past, that means guys like Brindy, Wallin, and yes, Whitney. Were it not for his no-trade clause (all of which should be outlawed by the NHL and all other sports in my opinion) I'd also serve notice on E Staal. The level of unprofessionalism by our highest paid guys is inexcuseable, especially when you've got guys like Sammy, LaRose, Cullen, Sutter and Seids out there busting it every night. The coach seems to be getting through to them just fine.

Seriously, Roddy, Brindy, Whitney, Wallin? Whitney is the most consistent scorer on our team. You know you will get 25-30 goals a year from him and he's on that pace right now. Wallin is playing his best year defensively and offensively Brindy is having some defensive trouble but at least he can still score, nobody else is. Brindy will turn it around, he's not to old, he's sick of laviolette and needs a new look at the game like everyone else. Get rid of Lavi!!

Yes it's time now. November record 7W 9L. This was supposed to be our home ice advantage month. Our team looks great on paper and I beleive they can be great. Laviolettes system dosen't work with this group of guys anymore. We need a new start with a new attitude and fresh feeling in the room. It seems like hockey coaches do best in there first year or two with a team, new system gets every body refreshed and energized , than its gets old and stale and players forget how to play with fire in them. He's a good coach, but has run his course and its time for a new one. I predict it will be done this week. I hope it will be done this week.

I agree, the system that Laviolette has had in place for the last 2 1/2 years is quit working. Is it because of injuries or are the players not motivated or the combination of the two? Every team has its share of injuries so you have to be able to play through. It's up to the GM to have capable backup to fill in when injuries occur who know the system. So you can't put 100% blame on the coach but unfortunately he is the first to take the bullet when the team is not performing to its talent level. The big question is if you let Coach L go who is the replacement? If you put in Coach Rowe will he have the same system game plan if so you haven't accomplished anything.. If however he can shake up things and put "his" game plan into effect (different) then maybe, just maybe he could be the answer. It would be his team until the end of the year and based on performance would dictate if he is the one to direct for future years. Again who would he bring in to be his assistant for the remainder of this year?

How would the players feel and how would they response to the change is also something to be considered? Do they respond positive on the ice or "no show"?

Terminating a coach is the easy part, what comes after is the "Big" question.............

Just my .02 cents on this subject..

You can make a coaching change now or you can make it in January, but this team still won't make the playoffs. If Lavi is fired, he is owed $2M, Rowe will likely become your replacement since they can't afford to go hire a new coach, but how is that a new voice. He's been with this team since camp, he isn't a new voice.

Why do we have guys named Staal, Brind'Amour, Whitney, Samsonov, etc and yet we can't score more than 2 goals a game if that. Why did we have Hiller all over the place flopping around trying to find the puck, but yet those pros couldn't finish? How many times have we seen these pros, shoot wide, shoot high, or fan on a wide open net. This isn't the coaches problem.

Let's take a look at the games we lost:

6 out of 11 we scored 1 goal

2 out of 11 we scored 2 goals

3 out of 11 we scored 3 goals

How many teams can win games scoring 1 goal? For a team that is built on supposedly offense, scoring 1 or 2 goals is NOT going to get you wins. This team was expected to score 4-5 goals a game, if that held true, out of those 11 games we would have won 6 games which means we would be sitting here with 5 loses and no one would be screaming fire the coach.

Guess what I'm trying to get at, is if you think a coaching change will miracously get this team to not shoot wide, not shoot high, and fan on wide open nets, I think you will be disappointed when a new coach takes over and we are still having this conversation.

It comes down to the players. Every single guy is underachieving (minus Whitney, LaRose, and Ruutu). In 2005-06 every single guy overacheived. There's your difference.

Since the big question du jour seems to be "if we fire Lavi and replace him with Rowe, will it really change anything other than the name on the paycheck that JR has to sign", can we have some of our Albany insiders

Since the big question du jour seems to be "if we fire Lavi and replace him with Rowe, will it really change anything other than the name on the paycheck that JR has to sign", can we have some of our Albany insiders

I've got to echo the sentiment of "caniac247" in that a lot of the responsibility of the team's bad performance lies with the players. That being said, it is the job of the coach to bring out the best that each player has to offer. Judging by the team's recent games we are no where close to seeing the best performances by our players. There really hasn't been a game this past month that we really deserved to win. Our players, with the exception of LaRose, look sluggish compared to other teams. We're content to just dump the puck in and let someone else chase after it instead of using a little skill and carrying in the puck. The team isn't creative when it comes to passing and creating scoring chances - its like they all forgot how they used to screw around during a pickup game. As far as the defense goes, nothing is working at all. The team made some big moves to bolster the defense and it looks just as bad as it did last year. I think this is an area that Lavi inst so good in and maybe a coaching change could help bolster the D. With the team already looking pretty bad and on track to miss the playoffs I think its time Lavi start motivating his players a little more. He can start by benching some very non-productive individuals including Rod. Maybe after a couple periods sitting on the bench they will be more inclined to put out and start playing like we expect them to.

Well, the sluggish play might be attributed to the lack of a morning skate. JR said he got rid of the morning skate to prevent injuries, but the fact of the matter is, he's the one who grabbed injury-prone players. We're still getting hit hard by the injury bug, and now we're coming to the games sluggish.

At least last year we won games while getting injured.

I don't think that Lavi is the problem or the solution that we are seeking. We cannot just fire a coach every time there is a skid. If we did then NC State wouldn't have O'Brien who's team will most likely go to some bowl, and Duke would have a new coach every 4 weeks.

I think Lavi's tenure as coach has been a great tenure. He took a team not expected to do anything to the playoffs and won the cup. As one of the 16,000 coaches at the game last night, I felt there needs to be line changes. The most consistent line so far this season is the Cullen,LaRose,Eaves line. I think keeping the Cullen line intact would be the best decision and give them the most minutes in the game.

Last night John Forslund talked about Staal not playing well and how it effects the team. Since Staal is a de-facto Co-Captain it does hurt the team I think that maybe his TOI should get pinched because of it, as it was taken away at the Ducks game last night.

John Forslund also talked about a mix up in the lines, I agree with that. I would like to see Samsonov back on the Brind'Amour line, Sammy and Brindy seem to work well together and I think Sammy needs someone to calm him down a little. Its nice seeing #14 puck handle but when there are people he can pass it starts to hurt.

Considering Leighton was brought in at the beginning of the 2nd period last night I thought he played well. Yes 3 goals were scored on him, but there was a defensive breakdown in the third period. Maybe the team left all they had on the ice in the second with 17 shots on goal, but that isn't an excuse to how poorly the third was played.

I would like to know the average shift length for last night though. I think during the Flyers game after the 1st period it was announced that the team would be taking shorter shifts. Did that apply in the game against the Ducks?

All that said there is the elephant in the room. There are 4 players injured on the team. Walker has always been the player who does the little things, the closest thing our team has to a play maker (IMO). Williams who is finally on the ice and not in the yellow jersey, he will be back soon. Maybe he will be able to fill in the Cole role to Staal, I have no idea what line he will be on but I could see Williams playing on the Staal line.

John Forslund also talked about a mix up in the lines, I agree with that. I would like to see Samsonov back on the Brind'Amour line, Sammy and Brindy seem to work well together and I think Sammy needs someone to calm him down a little. Its nice seeing #14 puck handle but when there are people he can pass it starts to hurt.

They were broken up for a reason. That line is like giving your opponent free goals.

It comes down to the players. Every single guy is underachieving (minus Whitney, LaRose, and Ruutu). In 2005-06 every single guy overacheived. There's your difference.

Also include Bayda Seidenburg and Wallin to the list of those NOT underachieving. Especially Wallin who is constantly thrown under the bus every mistake last yr. but gets zero credit for solid play this yr.

If "every single guy is underachieving" then that is more fuel for the dump Lavi argument. Only other alternative is to dump every single guy if still underachieving and that ain't gonna happen.

If "every single guy is underachieving" then that is more fuel for the dump Lavi argument.

I think that is where many of us are coming from. Tired of hearing, "its the players...Lavi isn't out there on the ice to mess it up." Well, obviously he isn't the one not scoring, making bad passes, making poor decisions, etc. But it is his job to teach his players his system, and ensure they play it. If they don't play it right, then it is his job to find some way to get the job done....either by changing the system, altering lines, harder practices, or knocking head's together. Laviolette is showing that he is not able to do this with this group of guys. Now is the time to make a change...b/c its going to take time to adjust to a new coaching style....yes, its still early, but time is ticking....

My question is...what am I going to do with the money I will save from us missing the playoffs again this year?

I don't think that Lavi is the problem or the solution that we are seeking. We cannot just fire a coach every time there is a skid. If we did then NC State wouldn't have O'Brien who's team will most likely go to some bowl, and Duke would have a new coach every 4 weeks.

Ah yes, but if those coaches do not show continuous improvement, then they have to go. Duke has done the right thing, stabilize the program then make steady gains. We have been going backwards since the cup run. Nothing wrong with stumbling every once in a while, but did you learn from those mistakes? I'm not seeing it.

Lets play this two million dollar thing out a little with the Coach buyout. There are two things to consider- economics of a buyout and team performance.

At the current performance and economy we are averaging 1288 fewer fans per game (source- N&O). We have played 13 home games and lets say those missing fans on average account for $30 per game in revenue. Thats a revenue drop of $502,320 just in the 13 games. Over the remaining 28- $1,081,920. Now lets look to the future-what will be the added losses to season ticket sales and corporate sponsorhip renewals for next year? Lavi can not be blamed for economy's impact on ticket sales but a new style of play with a new coach may just create a spark to rejuvenate ticket sales to lessen the revenue drop for poor performance not only for this year but the next.

There also some other ways to pay your new coach--players' salaries. If you want to make a coaching change and you want to hire a new one you can always start to unload players to make it work. As the season progresses teams will look to fill roles for the playoffs and to fill voids left by injuries. An excellent way to get under your self imposed cap and even pay for a new coach.

As far as team performance goes the stats (PP- how many seasons now?, Goals For, Etc.) speak for themselves. Look around the league and you will find that only 7 coaches have been with there team for 5 or more seasons. GMs can't unload a whole team and start over but they can easily bring in a new coach to change the system of play. In most cases it works to get the veterans that have heard all the same coach speeches going again. Its a 2 million dollar gamble but at present performance and rate of decline I think its time to roll the dice.

Ultimately the coach may well end up under the bus. But I keep thinking back to the way this team responded when the chips were down last year and they lost Brind'Amour. Yes Corvo helped, but maybe it wasn't just that.

We have an aging second line center on a bad knee who is trailing the entire NHL in +/-. Ironically, when he went down last year, the team sprang up and went on a moster run. The coach was the same.

Again, Lavi's head may be necessary to quiet the fan base, but that is not necessarily the problem.

If Lavi goes, the team will probably respond to the new coach for a few games, but ultimately the problems are still there. Just look at Atlanta last year, and probably Tampa this year.

I fully agree that a major change needs to happen and soon. Just don't think it should be the coach, yet.

Two big questions:

When does it become too late to make a change?

Should a change be made, who is brought in or made head coach?

As Obama has said, these decisons are above my pay grade.

If Lavi goes, the team will probably respond to the new coach for a few games, but ultimately the problems are still there. Just look at Atlanta last year, and probably Tampa this year.

Yes, but look at the Capitals last year. And this year. Maybe we can get a Jack Adams winner! Well, probably not but, there's two sides to that coin.

I'm not so worried about under or overachieving. Just achieving would be nice for a change.

I apologize for not doing the quote right in my previous post. I haven't figure out yet how to do that. I'll work on learning right after I learn how to use the DVD player! :P

I predict December 8th the press conference to announce that Lavi is gone will take place. Only a 3 game win streak over the Pens, Flyers, and Caps should be able to stop it at this point. The homestand is over on Dec. 7 and not another home game until Dec. 16th. The beginning of a road trip following an awful homestand is when coaches are told to pack.

Hope JR has alerted Allied-Excel, the Canes mover sponsor!

Only a 3 game win streak over the Pens, Flyers, and Caps should be able to stop it at this point

and this would delay it until the next three game losing streak

Seriously, Brindy, Whitney, Wallin? Brindy will turn it around, he's not to old, he's sick of laviolette and needs a new look at the game like everyone else. Get rid of Lavi!!

I agree that Brindy needs a new look at the game, and I think Lavi should give it to him, along with Staal: Scratch 'em both against the Pens. Maybe then they'll wake up and start playing hockey.