The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

Here's an interesting observation from the NHL.com stats page: Eric Staal is fourth in the league for shots taken with 104, but among the top thirty on the shots list, only two have a lower scoring percentage than his 7.7% (Dion Phaneuf at 3.5% and Scott Gomez at 4.9%) If Eric were scoring at the same 12.3% he attained last year, he should have 5 more goals already this season and that would put him fourth in the league. Instead, he is now tied for 51st in goal scoring.

So it is obvoius: Fire the Coach. That's sure to bring Staal's scoring touch back. By contrast, Brind'Amour is being much more efficient, scoring on 15.2% of his 46 shots for 7 goals. The answer is simple. Both must score more often and the Canes will be winning more games.

More telling, Staal has more empty net goals (2) than pp goals (1), and that 1 pp goal came in 112 minutes of pp time on ice. Last year, Staal had 14 pp goals and scored them at a rate of 1 goal per 27:20 minutes pp TOI. At last year's rate, he should have 4 pp goals by now. That's why he is underachieving and the team is underperforming. That's a key factor in why the Canes are now 29th in pp efficiency at 12.9%. Three goals doesn't sound like much to ask, but it moves Carolina up to 18th, with a 17.2% efficiency. For pp goals, three more Eric Staal goals is the difference between Carolina ranking tied for 20th and ranking tied for 12th.

And how could you guarantee that to happen?

I think he/she was being a little bit sarcastic when they wrote that. Atleast that's what I got out of it.

I think he/she was being a little bit sarcastic when they wrote that. Atleast that's what I got out of it.

You're right about that. It has been a long thread at 17 pages now. I know readers can't keep up with all the variations of serious thought, sarcasm, and simple frustration that continue to appear. My "Fire the Coach" rant is more clearly sarcastic in posts #163 and #235 back at pages 9 and 12.

Anyone have a good "sarcasm" smiley we can get Marcus to add? And not the one Ive seen that looks like the guy is picking his nose. (you know the one Im talking about)

Here's an interesting observation from the NHL.com stats page: Eric Staal is fourth in the league for shots taken with 104, but among the top thirty on the shots list, only two have a lower scoring percentage than his 7.7% (Dion Phaneuf at 3.5% and Scott Gomez at 4.9%) If Eric were scoring at the same 12.3% he attained last year, he should have 5 more goals already this season and that would put him fourth in the league. Instead, he is now tied for 51st in goal scoring.

So it is obvoius: Fire the Coach. That's sure to bring Staal's scoring touch back. By contrast, Brind'Amour is being much more efficient, scoring on 15.2% of his 46 shots for 7 goals. The answer is simple. Both must score more often and the Canes will be winning more games.

More telling, Staal has more empty net goals (2) than pp goals (1), and that 1 pp goal came in 112 minutes of pp time on ice. Last year, Staal had 14 pp goals and scored them at a rate of 1 goal per 27:20 minutes pp TOI. At last year's rate, he should have 4 pp goals by now. That's why he is underachieving and the team is underperforming. That's a key factor in why the Canes are now 29th in pp efficiency at 12.9%. Three goals doesn't sound like much to ask, but it moves Carolina up to 18th, with a 17.2% efficiency. For pp goals, three more Eric Staal goals is the difference between Carolina ranking tied for 20th and ranking tied for 12th.

I'm saying, a new coach might turn every players game around, including brindy and staal. new energy, new outlook, new coach to impress, new system, new ideas, new lines, that may be staal and brindys problem, there playing stale and need a leadership/coaching change. Its worth a try, rather than watch the hole get deeper or start trading away great players who are slumping.

Jimmie Johnson said that "fire the coach" is the first thing fans think of when they are disappointed with their teams performance. However, he went further to point out what many here have already said... what is firing the coach going to do to improve the team? Rather than go into a long recap, basically it comes down to this.. FIRE THE ORGANIZATION! The coach does not do the scouting, he does not buy the players, he can only take what is given and do the best he can with it. It's like throwing the baby away with the bathwater. If players are not up to par, they need to sit. However, the bigger the contract the less the owner and GM want to see their $$ sitting doing nothing. But they are willing to see them on the ice contributing little to the team.

Caniac52 is right concerning Staal. I said this earlier in this discussion, he is shooting but not taking high percentage shots. He is not thinking of all the options he has when entering the zone. perhaps it's because of his past scoring ability and a bit of desperation that he feels he must shoot. But what good is a shot from the halfboards, with no one in front for a screen/tip or rebound.

I've watched a many different teams playing and I don't see any of them doing anything different concerning their philosophy; many dump and chase with success, others cycle with success and still others can carry the puck into the zone creating opportunities. Plus, I don't see any team using just one type of play, they use different styles dictated by the situation at that time. I believe we can use any of these situations, depending on the circumstances, with success. Our problem seems to be with our players, so again, if you don't give it your all, sit down and put out someone that will.

Jimmie Johnson said that "fire the coach" is the first thing fans think of when they are disappointed with their teams performance. However, he went further to point out what many here have already said... what is firing the coach going to do to improve the team?

This is what happens:

..........Mr. Boudreau goes to Washington.

and firing the coach does not ensure a team will be competitive; how many head coaches have the Oakland Raiders gone through since their Super Bowl appearance?

This is what happens:

..........Mr. Boudreau goes to Washington.

That example is ideal, but it stands out because it is so rare. How many other times has firing the coach made no difference, or even made the team perform worse? Think Tampa Bay (twice), Atlanta, and how about the New Jersey Devils just before the playoffs. See how far that got them. Fire the coach is the right answer only when you have a better answer and no one can tell for sure until review3ing it in hindsight. At the time of the change, who knew Boudreau would work out so well? Who knew the other changes would not match up?

That example is ideal, but it stands out because it is so rare. How many other times has firing the coach made no difference, or even made the team perform worse? Think Tampa Bay (twice), Atlanta, and how about the New Jersey Devils just before the playoffs. See how far that got them. Fire the coach is the right answer only when you have a better answer and no one can tell for sure until review3ing it in hindsight. At the time of the change, who knew Boudreau would work out so well? Who knew the other changes would not match up?

Even Caps management didnt know Boudreau was going to do anything, he was brought on as a interim not a replacement right away.

Even Caps management didnt know Boudreau was going to do anything, he was brought on as a interim not a replacement right away.

Exactly the point he/I was making. Firing the coach rarely results in any significant, long term change. Percentage wise, it's not worth doing. Unless the organization is going to change fundamentally from within, it's useless. Washington benefited greatly from several years of terrible performance which resulted in good draft opportunities. The problem is rarely the coach, like it or not.

If Lavi is fired -- we all know how loyal JR is and what a soft-spot he has for his former players (Tanabe, Vasacek, Cullen, etc.) -- whose to say he doesn't have that same sense of loyalty to former coaches??

You heard it, I am saying it here:

Welcome back Paul Maurice, it's been a long time!

:blink:

Just remember....sadly...that you heard it from me first! :(

Just remember....sadly...that you heard it from me first! :(

Whats sad is you werent being serious and you were joking because the idea was laughable.

So what does this franchise do? The laughable....

The answer is yes to the original posters question.

Thread done.;)