The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

Why do I get the impression you might be over reacting? What does Peter not being involved in management decisions and contract haggling have to do with being set up to fail by JR because of it? Staal was going to be in Raleigh next season with or without the contract. I'm sure Lavi has a lot of other concerns this time of year.

I just meant to give one example of how they are treating Peter. Didn't really mean to tie the contract and a fall of Peter together. I will admit to over reacting if we have a bad month of hockey and they don't fire him. But i'll stick to my story until then.

All of the signs are pointing to a short leash. It's unfair to treat a someone who brought them the ring that's on their finger ths way. I know expectations are high. But Rutherford will put 0% blame on his lack of aggressiveness on the free agent market.

JR spends too much time finding offense (which I dont mind) but not enough time trying to fix our depleted defense.

Go canes

Chris

I just meant to give one example of how they are treating Peter. Didn't really mean to tie the contract and a fall of Peter together. I will admit to over reacting if we have a bad month of hockey and they don't fire him. But i'll stick to my story until then.

All of the signs are pointing to a short leash. It's unfair to treat a someone who brought them the ring that's on their finger ths way. I know expectations are high. But Rutherford will put 0% blame on his lack of aggressiveness on the free agent market.

JR spends too much time finding offense (which I dont mind) but not enough time trying to fix our depleted defense.

Go canes

Chris

JR can't be aggressive in the FA market if he doesn't have the money. Also the FA defenseman that went this year were way overpriced.

If we don't win and make it to the playoffs then we won't get money. The team under Laviolette has missed the playoffs the past 2 years. When this happens there will be questions about the coach and if we had a different one could we make the playoffs and make more money to put a better team on the ice.

I like Lavi, too. I LOVE the style that he brought to the organization. I'd hate to see him go, also. I think that most of the problems from the last two years were more physical than "motivational." Don't get me wrong, there were some games that seemed like the team lacked motivation, anyone could see that. And, it seemed like a couple of players were forced into the Panthers game last season... which I didn't like... but who knows who's idea that was.

Anyway, I think that both JR and Lavi are doing a great job. I think that it takes a few seasons to refit an organization, or a team. And now, we will reap the benefits of those two seasons of testing players out. We seem to have a great line-up, on paper. That is as far was we can tell, for now. But, time will tell. I doubt that Lavi will be fired, because he is a big piece of the puzzle. At least, I think I'm right.

Caniac

I am a frustrated caniac. The best thing that has happened to this franchise is the hiring of Peter Laviolette. He won a stanley cup for the us and yet the GM/owner still has him on the hot seat. From my sources, Peter was the last to be informed about the press conference for Staal's new deal. It's like the GM/Owner are setting him up to fail. I guarantee if they have a 3 or 4 game losing streak at the beginning of the year they are going to yank him and put an unproven coach from our minor league system in (Tom Rowe). Why do you think Jeff Daniel's is not with the team anymore and Tom Rowe is assistant coach? So Peter can get canned and Tom can take over when they lose 3 in a row.

With all due respect your "sources" are incorrect. He isn't being set up to fail and Jeff Daniels is very much a part of the Canes looking forward to the opportunity of running his own show in Albany. No ulterior motive there to replace Lavi with Rowe after 3 losses. It could happen but that's not the reason for the change.

Go canes

Chris

I agree, the way JR dealt with Lavi caught me by surprise too but calling it totally unfair? I don't know. I'm sure there was a lot more going on between Nov-Jan than we know and I wouldn't doubt it if JR saw some of that resting on Lavi's shoulders. We had a lot of really bad games during those two months and our problems started way before we lost all those man games to major injuries or the flu. I'm glad Lavi and JR did get it turned around though.

As to him getting fired after the first 3 bad games? I doubt it, unless they show up in flip-flops and tu-tu's. JR might be known for a lot of things but being impatient and rushing into major firings or trades are not it.

And the additional info that is not mentioned to further quell the conspiracy theorists is that Jeff Daniels is also the General Manager of the Albany RR, in other words he has Petes job AND JRs job... A large feather in the cap of someone who has thusfar been a serviceable NHL player and assistant coach for the same team for many years but has never had the "weight" on his shoulders. A career move that will pay dividends in the future albeit not in Raleigh.

And the additional info that is not mentioned to further quell the conspiracy theorists is that Jeff Daniels is also the General Manager of the Albany RR, in other words he has Petes job AND JRs job... A large feather in the cap of someone who has thusfar been a serviceable NHL player and assistant coach for the same team for many years but has never had the "weight" on his shoulders. A career move that will pay dividends in the future albeit not in Raleigh.

If Lavi is below .500 at christmas he will be gone.

With all due respect your "sources" are incorrect. He isn't being set up to fail and Jeff Daniels is very much a part of the Canes looking forward to the opportunity of running his own show in Albany. No ulterior motive there to replace Lavi with Rowe after 3 losses. It could happen but that's not the reason for the change.

You have no clue who my sources are. I'm close to the situation and I know that Peter has been treated poorly by Jim Rutherford. But I assure you that RUTHERFORD is going to find any reason to fire Lavi. As for the firing after 3 losses in a row, I am just using that as the "straw that breaks the camels back" situation that JR will use.

I think JIM RUTHERFORD is to blame and he is getting a free pass. Just wait until Peter is on the other bench. I hope he runs up the score. I will be a fan of any team he coaches. I hope its with the canes for a long long time, but JIM RUTHERFORD has his finger on the button just waiting to make a change.

That article in the N&O today is a cover-up. A band-aid to make all you worried caniacs feel better about the situation. The article is almost a bad of a spin as a John McCain commercial.

You have no clue who my sources are. I'm close to the situation and I know that Peter has been treated poorly by Jim Rutherford. But I assure you that RUTHERFORD is going to find any reason to fire Lavi. As for the firing after 3 losses in a row, I am just using that as the "straw that breaks the camels back" situation that JR will use.

I think JIM RUTHERFORD is to blame and he is getting a free pass. Just wait until Peter is on the other bench. I hope he runs up the score. I will be a fan of any team he coaches. I hope its with the canes for a long long time, but JIM RUTHERFORD has his finger on the button just waiting to make a change.

That article in the N&O today is a cover-up. A band-aid to make all you worried caniacs feel better about the situation. The article is almost a bad of a spin as a John McCain commercial.

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Sources...being close to the situation...hate to say it but this is starting to read a lot like Eklund's rumor chart.

(e5)

a little high for just one source :lol:

Ok, (e2) because he did say the source was close to the situation.

Ok, (e2) because he did say the source was close to the situation.

so it was the second cousin twice removed of the janitor that cleans JR's office every third Thursday on alternating months? :lol: :lol:

IMO, JR put this to rest in today's N&O!! nuff said!! and unless you can list sources then you are no more accurate than Eklund, maybe less so.

It is the dreaded "vote of confidence" that Rutherford threw out. He has treated Lavi unfairly, have we forgotten letting him hang in the breeze last spring? Or did he wait until the owner made the decision? Concerned about the lack of exit interviews? He did say he did his interviews but if you believe in what Brindy said, are they really that important?

My 2 cents: the media overblew things and the fans bought into it.

Lavi was supposed to have an exit interview with JR as well, not just the players. Lavi admitted he wasn't mentally or emotionally ready for those interviews. So, he blew off JR and didn't attend his exit interview. Its possible JR didn't want to discuss anything until he's had the chance to talk to Lavi and he was given him time to get those feelings in check. Whose to say JR didn't tell Lavi weeks ago that his job wasn't in jeopardy. The media doesn't get ALL the information.

I could not agree more with JRs statements in the Disturber article. That WAS in very bad taste for Lavi not to do thos exit interview. If you really believe he did not think of a What If...scenario before that last game with FL.

I am a big fan of Lavi's system and think he has been a great coach...but that was in poor taste. If he is going to do his job then he needs to do his job. In the end it's a job. How many of us would get out of a similar situation with our job if we did something similar. I am thinking it might be a handful.

My 2 cents: the media overblew things and the fans bought into it.

Lavi was supposed to have an exit interview with JR as well, not just the players. Lavi admitted he wasn't mentally or emotionally ready for those interviews. So, he blew off JR and didn't attend his exit interview. Its possible JR didn't want to discuss anything until he's had the chance to talk to Lavi and he was given him time to get those feelings in check. Whose to say JR didn't tell Lavi weeks ago that his job wasn't in jeopardy. The media doesn't get ALL the information.

In my opinion, JR and Karmonas made their mistake after the media and fans overblew things. Once it became a story and everyone and their third cousin were wondering what the deal was, a vote of confidence was needed. That's the very time that a vote of confidence is needed, and we got....blather, essentially nothing, essentially "no comment". And this went on for too long.

We will never have all of the information, so we either speculate, or don't read or post on discussion boards. In this case it just doesn't make much sense that this was a planned event.

JR would have had to have said to Lavi: "Peter, you are our guy. No doubt, rest assured. But here's the thing. We can't tell anyone. We're going to pretend that this is a gut wrenching decision and make it appear that you are twisting in the wind. Of course you will look kind of weak, and create the impression that we aren't behind you, but hey, there's no free lunch. Plus, you secretly know that we're with you "wink". Just to really sell it we're going to call up your eventual replacement to coach with you. Then later we'll make up some stuff, like you didn't do your exit interviews, (oh by the way you'll have to not do your exit interviews). Then at the start of the season we'll anounce an amnesty. In a very weak way, we'll say that you are our coach, and we are behind you because starting the season under a cloud of pressure "wouldn't be fair to anyone." We'd like to say that we believe in you because you are a great coach, but that will have to stay between us. You understand of course."

Why? I must conclude that higher management and ownership were really considering a change. They ended up making the right decision, and hopefully it's all water under the bridge, but I just can't see this being orchestrated to "look" like Lavi was in trouble.

Of course I have almost no information. This is pure speculation.

JR would have had to have said to Lavi: "Peter, you are our guy. No doubt, rest assured. But here's the thing. We can't tell anyone. We're going to pretend that this is a gut wrenching decision and make it appear that you are twisting in the wind. Of course you will look kind of weak, and create the impression that we aren't behind you, but hey, there's no free lunch. Plus, you secretly know that we're with you "wink". Just to really sell it we're going to call up your eventual replacement to coach with you. Then later we'll make up some stuff, like you didn't do your exit interviews, (oh by the way you'll have to not do your exit interviews). Then at the start of the season we'll anounce an amnesty. In a very weak way, we'll say that you are our coach, and we are behind you because starting the season under a cloud of pressure "wouldn't be fair to anyone." We'd like to say that we believe in you because you are a great coach, but that will have to stay between us. You understand of course."

Post of the summer!!!! I've got to find a way to get that in my sig.

Dug this thread up from way back but now it is relevant.

I don't like his chances at this point. It is not impossible at this point for the team to put together a streak but given the efforts over the last several games - don't bet on it.

Sure injuries have been a huge factor. Expectations have been unrealistic as well since 06. The problem is that after 2 1/4 seasons of lackluster play - how much longer can this continue w/o a coaching change? Tired of excuses - just win, win now or hit the road.

Please win the next 10 in a row and I will gladly eat crow.

LETS GO CANES

btw this has nothing to do w/ Melrose - just the Canes and pathetic play lately

Should Lavi get the axe, who is out there to step in to the position? Does Rowe have any head coaching experience in the NHL? Who else in the organization could fill in: Francis, Brindy (as player/coach)? Who is available that is good?