The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

Should Lavi get the axe, who is out there to step in to the position? Does Rowe have any head coaching experience in the NHL? Who else in the organization could fill in: Francis, Brindy (as player/coach)? Who is available that is good?

Isn't it obvious?!?!?!?!! Recap: Melrose goes down in 16 games in Tampa, Lavi on the hotseat cant win a game...IT WAS THE MASTER PLAN ALL ALONG FOR THE NHL TO GET MELROSE TO CAROLINA!!!! ITS ALL SO CLEAR NOW!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'd say give Rowe until the end of the season. If he makes the playoffs, he's proven himself, and gets to stay. Otherwise, we try to get someone experienced (Nolan, Savard..)

Should Lavi get the axe, who is out there to step in to the position? Does Rowe have any head coaching experience in the NHL? Who else in the organization could fill in: Francis, Brindy (as player/coach)? Who is available that is good?

That's the problem who out there can take over, Torts, Melrose (please no). Torts may not be too bad b/c he will hold these guys accountable, but he ruins goalies. I'm not so sure Rowe is going to be the answer like everyone thinks. Everyone talks about his bag skates, but when the players are asked about it, they just laugh. I'd think if they were that bad, they wouldn't be laughing. He was also brought in to give Lavi some fresh ideas, well its the same story. So I can't say that Rowe would be the answer. McCarthy definetly isn't the answer, he can't even get his defense together. It was rumored that Daniels was sent to Albany to get head coaching experience, but I don't see them ready to bring him up and leave Albany so soon.

If the decision is made to relief Lavi of his duties, I think our best bet would let Francis take over for the rest of this year. I'm sure there will be more coaches fired later in the year or even over the summer.

EDIT: forgot about Savard being available, he wouldn't be a bad choice either. I'm not full on fire Lavi yet, but its getting pretty close for me. Its getting more obvious that a change is needed with each game.

New coach and new lines to send a message:

Line 1: Ruutu, Sutter, Walker

Line 2: Samsanov, LaRose, Whitney

Line 3: Cullen, Brind'amour, Dwyer

Line 4: Helminen, Staal, Bayda

Do that for a few games...send a message.

Send Brookbank back to the RiverRats and bring Helminen back up. Never ever have Corvo and Pitkanen paired, because they pinch. Go off on both of them for awareness......that is what we get for having offensive defensemen.

Heck, bring Torts in...at least SOME emotion from the bench.

I can't stand Torts. Besides, how long do you think it'll take before the players tune him out like they did in Tampa? If Lavi does get canned I hope JR does give Ron Francis a good look. He might not be the best option in the long run either though.

I can't stand Torts. Besides, how long do you think it'll take before the players tune him out like they did in Tampa? If Lavi does get canned I hope JR does give Ron Francis a good look. He might not be the best option in the long run either though.

I gotta agree with you Whaler, Francis seems like the best fit for right now. his name would look really nice on the cup again also!

Haven't we been down this road before on firing the coach? Paul Maurice comes to mine. If Lavi does get fired we will soon become known as coach killers.

Haven't we been down this road before on firing the coach? Paul Maurice comes to mine. If Lavi does get fired we will soon become known as coach killers.

We did go on to win the Cup after firing Maurice ;)

We did go on to win the Cup after firing Maurice ;)

Indeed we did. I just show Lavi expression behind the bench after the loss tonight on the NHL Network & was a very sad thing to see. For winning the cup & becoming the winnest American born coach it's the thanks he gets from the team.

Indeed we did. I just show Lavi expression behind the bench after the loss tonight on the NHL Network & was a very sad thing to see. For winning the cup & becoming the winnest American born coach it's the thanks he gets from the team.

Well, I'll be flamed for this but....maybe he gave up the team too. He wasn't exactly given a vote of confidence at the end of last season and all summer he didn't even know if he had a job to start the season. He had little say over what players came and went and wasn't able to do any team and family bonding exercises that not only proved successful in 06, but has now become the norm for most teams. Add to that, they bring in Tommy Rowe to be his assistant just in case he's in need of some fresh ides on how to run the team. Oh, and they also put Ron Francis on the ice with him for training camp and some team practices to teach the guys what maybe he couldnt.

Not that I think he isn't to blame for some stuff and I certainly don't agree with all he does but it seems he never really had a chance to get a handle on this team to start the season.

I would hate to see Lavi get fired but if he did I would love to see Tom Rowe get a shot at being the head coach with the Canes. I know when he was here in Albany he damanded the most out of the players. And he was not affraid to bench a star player down here with us. If you were not going to give 100% effort every single shift you were going to sit in the press box and watch. That was how he was down here with us. And these players really tried there hardest for him.

I would hate to see Lavi get fired but if he did I would love to see Tom Rowe get a shot at being the head coach with the Canes. I know when he was here in Albany he damanded the most out of the players. And he was not affraid to bench a star player down here with us. If you were not going to give 100% effort every single shift you were going to sit in the press box and watch. That was how he was down here with us. And these players really tried there hardest for him.

He probably gets his shot too. Here's to turning things around in Carolina.

Oye...makes me sick to think we've even reached this point. Just not easy on the emotions, but it is a business...and a business decision needs to be made to fire Laviolette.

Folks...get a grip...we are only 2.5 wins out of 1st place in the East.

Now, I may be a bit bleary-eyed coming home at 12:30 from an ECU win over Va. Tech 6-5...but, as I see it...if the playoffs were held today, we're in, we are 2nd in the division, it's still early in the season...we can't win them all...yes, there are problems...but let's all take a collective sigh and look at the standings and how close we are to first.

Laavi stays, lines get adjusted and we build, one game at a time...it is like putting together a puzzle..building towrds some wins/confidence, closing the gap on the division, making the playoffs, winning the East, bringing the Cup home.

One step at a time people, slow, steady...over-reacting will NOT right the ship. If you bail water too fast, you bring water back in...

Folks...get a grip...we are only 2.5 wins out of 1st place in the East.

Now, I may be a bit bleary-eyed coming home at 12:30 from an ECU win over Va. Tech 6-5...but, as I see it...if the playoffs were held today, we're in, we are 2nd in the division, it's still early in the season...we can't win them all...yes, there are problems...but let's all take a collective sigh and look at the standings and how close we are to first.

Laavi stays, lines get adjusted and we build, one game at a time...it is like putting together a puzzle..building towrds some wins/confidence, closing the gap on the division, making the playoffs, winning the East, bringing the Cup home.

One step at a time people, slow, steady...over-reacting will NOT right the ship. If you bail water too fast, you bring water back in...

Wow! You really must be living in La-La land! We CAN do all those things you said, but it won't be under Lavi's rule.

its time. this team is not a speed team, our pinching scheme is no longer effective, we look weak on the puck, weaker on the rush, and we sure as hell look awful defensively on the rush. where do we look strong? who looks inspired [other than guys named ruutu]? its time.

Heck, bring Torts in...at least SOME emotion from the bench.

I doubt there's a lack of emotion problem...first I've heard that. Ever seen John Stevens on the bench, or Ken Hitchcock?

Torts was gifted with superstars...his emotions eventually split up the team.

I really really feel bad for the guy. Injuries - expectations and what not. Great coach, the best that we coulda had a couple yrs ago.

Its just that it ain't workin now. Time to move on.

This is where I begin to have a problem. When people use the excuse of "injuries and expectations". What team out there right now does not have injuries....now or at any other point in the season? That is the part of the game and part of being PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYERS. We were able to do this during the '06 season and during the playoffs. Anybody remember when Cole went down and how much of an important piece he was for the team at that time. Didn't return until Game 7....the team seemed to be able to step it up then didn't they? Didn't hear too much rumbling about injuries when we were going on 9-10 game winning streaks a two points during that season either. Guys need to step when one of the boys goes down....unfortunately the only guys on this that seem to have been doing that are the young ones and not the "leaders"----Sutter has been playing his heart out before and after getting his bell rung. Perhaps Staal should go and talk with him and have Sutter help him with his own game.

And, the "expectations" excuse. So, it's wrong to think that we should beat divisional opponents on a consistent basis and expect to ATLEAST make the playoffs each year? I disagree that we should set the bar low (.500 season for example) and then get overjoyed when we exceed this goal. Screw that. This team is capable of making the playoffs but have forgotten how to play. Seems like Lavi has forgotten how to get them to play too. The look on his face at one point during the game and as soon as the game ended last night said it all. He's clueless as to what needs to happen to bring this team back.

I love the guy as much as the next, but perhaps a change should be in order. At least in discussions right now with Francis perhaps. I would have no problem seeing him behind the bench. Players and coaching I believe will soon change.