The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

It's not bashing Laviolette to say that, either. Honestly, he was never given a proper chance. The real problem is the way JR micromanages the coaching staff. Instead of bringing up Rowe to coach under Lavi, he should have let Lavi take charge and decide what to do with the coaching staff. With Rowe down in Albany, if things hadn't worked out JR could have fired Lavi and called up Rowe to coach the Canes. He didn't need to bring him to Raleigh before that.

The sad thing is will it really matter who the Canes get to replace Lavi when they do, if JR chooses the rest of the coaching staff instead of whoever the new head coach may be?

I don't care if it's Rowe, or Francis, or Wesley, or any combination of them for the coaching staff. So long as whoever they hire is allowed to choose his own staff. Which is how it should have been for Lavi to begin with.

I agree, I feel that Lavi got a raw deal from the beginning. Of course we are assuming that Lavi was forced to keep Daniels and McCarthy. I too like Lavi, he just is not fitting in with this organization today like he has in the past. It's just time for a change. I wish him well and hope he has sucess with another team, but in the West-lol.

I think it would be difficult to bring in a new coach and 2 new assistants for the rest of the season. If they do fire Lavi I just think for the rest of the season Francis and Wesley makes sense. I'm just saying tell Rowe this is your team for the rest of the season with him being given the choice to bring his own 2 assistants in the off-season to build even a stronger team for next season. Basically give him the choice to keep them or replace them as the head coach after the season is over playoffs or no playoffs, a choice I assume that Lavi was not given.

The NHL network commentators commented on the look on Lavis face after we lost to Atlanta. He knows he is on the edge of unemployment. I still think he is a good coach and deserves more time. At least wait until we see how the team does after a few games with the returning players. IMO we played better against Atlanta than the past 3 games before. I am not ready to jump ship. I will be at the game Sunday tailgating and cheering like crazy.

Why is it everytime a team starts to lose, its the coach who gets his head cut off? What about the GM? What about the players? They are just as responsible for the loss as the coach. Last night there was a big improvement in effort, but the D still pinched when they shouldn't, and its gonna happen on an offense first team. The winning goal for Atlanta was scored on a 5-3 that happened because the Ref was an idiot for making the first call and a jerk for the second.

I agree, I feel that Lavi got a raw deal from the beginning. Of course we are assuming that Lavi was forced to keep Daniels and McCarthy. I too like Lavi, he just is not fitting in with this organization today like he has in the past. It's just time for a change. I wish him well and hope he has sucess with another team, but in the West-lol.

I think it would be difficult to bring in a new coach and 2 new assistants for the rest of the season. If they do fire Lavi I just think for the rest of the season Francis and Wesley makes sense. I'm just saying tell Rowe this is your team for the rest of the season with him being given the choice to bring his own 2 assistants in the off-season to build even a stronger team for next season. Basically give him the choice to keep them or replace them as the head coach after the season is over playoffs or no playoffs, a choice I assume that Lavi was not given.

Yes, that makes sense. Unless they would hire someone who could bring in some assistants with him, they should have some assistants to fill in until the new coach could bring someone in. Whether later in the season or after it. Just so long as the new coach gets to choose his permanent assistants.

And yes, I am assuming that Lavi had no choice in Daniels and McCarthy as his assistants. But they were both the assistants under Maurice, and the system changed completely from Maurice's clutch and grab to Lavi's all out offense. Either they didn't work for Maurice and were perfect for Lavi's system so he kept them, or he didn't have much choice in it. We can only guess at what the answer is to that.

The NHL network commentators commented on the look on Lavis face after we lost to Atlanta. He knows he is on the edge of unemployment. I still think he is a good coach and deserves more time. At least wait until we see how the team does after a few games with the returning players. IMO we played better against Atlanta than the past 3 games before. I am not ready to jump ship. I will be at the game Sunday tailgating and cheering like crazy.

I will have to admit my heart went out to him with "the look" on his face. He looked like a frightened, desparate, defeated man. I know it doesn't sound like it, but I truly hate it has come to this, but I just feel we desparately need a change. We are slowly spiraling down out of the top 8 (#7 presently) to the bottom of the barrel. We are only 4 points from 13th place in the conference, 2 more losses this next week and we will be there.

Look, the team looked bad the last 3 games and that includes last night. But, if a couple of defenseman don't pinch with no high forward, and Wallin doesn't yap at the ref leading to a 2 minute 5 on 3, we win this game.

Pitkanen was awful and probably cost us the game despite our subpar effort, but again it's his second game back. Staal is our superstar and he flat out sucks. Yes, he got an assist last night. He passed a routine pass to Ruutu, who then barreled down and smoked a shot high and inside the post. That was 95% Ruutu, 4.999999% luck, and .000000001% Staal. That's how cheap some assists are, and that's about all the offense we are getting from our star. Brind'Amour is playing like an old man on a bum leg. Yes, he had a goal, and it was nice, but all of his goals are stand near the net and fire or poke, the rest of the time he is getting beat to more pucks than Dancing Granny. Samsonov? What the....he was a point a game guy for us. He looked great in preseason. Now I drank the koolade on Sammy, but he does have a history of this, is that the coach, or the GM? Eaves? How many goals does he have? Hmmm, coach or GM?

Maybe this is all Laviollette's fault. But during the second-best-road-record-in-the-league-road-trip Tripp and John kept going on and on about how the Canes were perceived by the other coaches as one of the hardest working teams in the league. Our first 12 games the team on the ice had no business being 7-3-2 with that schedule. Lavi could have been a candidate for coach of the month.

Yes, it has left for a few games, and maybe it won't be back. But despite what we may look like "on paper" the paper does not show a superstar with a weak, painful shoulder, and an aging captain with a bad knee, and so on. Laviollette is on a short leash and it is getting shorter, and he may not be able to pull up, but there is still some altitude and I say this. Unless, JR knows that Lavi's stars have given up on him, then give him at least the next 4 games. If we lose 3/4 at home, then it may just have to happen, whether it's his fault or not. I will be wathcing keenly at the game tomorrow at the RBC center.

My hockey knowledge may fill a thimble, but it seems that Lavi's constant changing of the lines have left players unsure of where their linemates are supposed to be on the ice. Last year, the call-ups from the Rats were giving the team an extra spark and he brings back the "stars" even when they were not quite up to game conditioning.

Something is wrong with this team and it probably isn't totally Lavi's fault. The Canes

• have a "superstar" that isn't earning his mega-buck salary

an aging captain who has the heart of a lion but is playing with a wounded body

inconsistent defense/goalies

a team that doesn't "leave everything on the ice"

If the team had lost three in a row while "leaving everything on the ice", I would be upset with the loses but content with the team's grit. Now it seems as if they are just playing for the paycheck instead of playing for team pride.

Perhaps I should clarify for you. I did not say that after every single freaking injury, we go out shopping. Didn't say anything like that. That logic would be ridiculous and unrealistic. My point is, incase you missed it, is that our "leaders" and veteran players (Staal, Samsonov, and Brindy to some extent) have not stepped up AT ALL. It is a lot of the younger guys that are showing heart for this heart...I would toss Ruutu into that category as well. So, if some of the guys that haven't stepped up thus yet continue to do so, then we make a move. Samsonov, what does he have---3 assists in 16 or 17 games? That's not gonna work.

2006 we were planning for a run and was a big reason we went and got Recchi and Weight and the team didn't miss a bit. However, this year we can't even play together with who we have. We let a guy clear the zone last night by kicking the puck not once, not twice, but 3 times without anybody touching him. Because of these things, I believe there must be a change.

You said we didn't use Cole as an excuse, Brindy practically pooped his pants when he heard Recchi was coming two days later of course they didn't use it as an excuse in fact it made Karmanos open his wallet and might have actually helped us get the cup. How can you possibly use that as an example of a team not using injuries as an excuse lol. The team got a better player with 10 more seasons of experience.

Whens another time this team did fine after an injury that the player was not replaced? None that I can think of and thats over a span of 2 coaches. Cole broke his leg in either 03 or 04 remember how those seasons went? We went downhill fast...

If we had not gotten Recchi we would not have made the 2nd round nor won the cup. Hell when Weight went down we got Cole back so you cant even use that as an example.

i do no think we should get ride of coach.. we just have to many yong guys that don't know aht they are dong

If by young guys you mean the younger guys on the team - then I have no idea what team you are talking about because the young guys on the Canes are the only ones playing with heart.

You said we didn't use Cole as an excuse, Brindy practically pooped his pants when he heard Recchi was coming two days later of course they didn't use it as an excuse in fact it made Karmanos open his wallet and might have actually helped us get the cup. How can you possibly use that as an example of a team not using injuries as an excuse lol. The team got a better player with 10 more seasons of experience.

Whens another time this team did fine after an injury that the player was not replaced? None that I can think of and thats over a span of 2 coaches. Cole broke his leg in either 03 or 04 remember how those seasons went? We went downhill fast...

If we had not gotten Recchi we would not have made the 2nd round nor won the cup. Hell when Weight went down we got Cole back so you cant even use that as an example.

Good God....what the hell team does not go out and get a couple of players to make a run for the cup? We were lucky enough to get not one, but two in Weight and Recchi. And, why would Brindy not be pumped up about Recchi coming?

Your missing my whole freaking point and seems like you'll just argue against it either way of what is said anyway. Seems like your one of the message board people out to prove everybody wrong and show that perhaps you know more than anybody else on here all the while but showing the utmost respect huh. Good job buddy, I'm glad there are those Canes fans out there like you that can keep us common folk straight. I'll look forward to you respecting everybody's points on this board as long as they align with yours. Jesus Christ.

Fire the Coach! That's what everybody wants. I'm appalled. This is preposterous. We lose when we score only two goals. A team with our offensive prowess should be doing better. Fire the Coach. He's supposed to put the puck in the net. Fire the Coach.

Let's look at these past four losses. No, let's not look at the RBC Center Atlanta game, but the other three really do boil down to critical 5 on 3 power plays.

At Washington, the Canes held a slim 2-1 lead and get over a minute of 5 on 3 advantage. Every team should score on a 5 on 3. The Canes fail to Score. Fire the Coach!

As the third period progessed, Brent Johnson makes spectacular saves to keep Washington close. Fire the Coach!

Here, Washington has a 3-1 lead and again we get over a minute of 5 on 3. Staal whiffs with an open net. Fire the Coach!

Staal whiffs again. Fire the Coach!

Look again at Mike Green's goal, their third. A perfect shot finds the only four inches of open space. He scores. Fire the Coach!

We were at that game, and Carolina looked like they could come back until the fourth goal, Semin's, totally deflated the team. Fire the Coach.

In Atlanta, we give up a full two minute 5 on 3. Fire the Coach!

The defense holds Atlanta without a goal through the first minute. Fire the Coach! a minute twenty. a minute fourty. The Canes held Atlanta without a score through a longer 5 on 3 than either of the times Carolina failed to score. Fire the Coach! At 1:57 into the two minutes of 5 on 3, Atlanta finally scores. They're suppoised to score on a 5 on 3. Fire the Coach!

The Canes fold up tent and go home, deflated and defeated - NOT. They stage a dramatic comeback attempt with walking wounded Brind'Amour looking young again. Now it's 3-2. Fire the Coach!

The Canes throw everything at the net but nothing goes in. Fire the Coach!

Losses do bring out the worst in expectant fans. Four in a row bring out the hatchet jobs (Oops, didn't we beat Ottawa in that span). Sure, we don't want to replay the disappointments of last year, but three of these four straight losses could easily have been wins. We may need these points down the road and I sure did want them, but as a hockey season ebbs and flows, we should find a way to win. In 17 games so far this season, the Canes have scored 2 goals or less ten times, and still won two of them We have won 6 of 7 when we score three or more goals (and got an overtime point in the seventh). Get the Offense going and we'll be in good shape. Turn it around now, and we'll be happy campers. So the Obvious Answer is Hire Butch Davis from UNC. He knows how to motivate talent and turn them into winners.

Late Update: UNC lost today. A lynch mob is waiting in Chapel Hill. They want to run that loser Davis out of town. He's looking for refuge at the RBC Center, now.

Good God....what the hell team does not go out and get a couple of players to make a run for the cup? We were lucky enough to get not one, but two in Weight and Recchi. And, why would Brindy not be pumped up about Recchi coming?

Your missing my whole freaking point and seems like you'll just argue against it either way of what is said anyway. Seems like your one of the message board people out to prove everybody wrong and show that perhaps you know more than anybody else on here all the while but showing the utmost respect huh. Good job buddy, I'm glad there are those Canes fans out there like you that can keep us common folk straight. I'll look forward to you respecting everybody's points on this board as long as they align with yours. Jesus Christ.

Because we would NOT have dealt for Recchi if Cole wasn't injured so I dont get how your point of we didnt use Cole as an excuse is valid because he got replaced and he was replaced because Cole got injured. JR said flat out he would not have gotten Recchi if Cole hadn't been injured so therefore it wasn't a roster boosting move.

I am still waiting for another example of us sustaining a major injury (without a trade to fix it) and it not killing our record in previous seasons.

Not sure what the answer is. If Lavi goes, who takes his place? Rowe? Will that be a step up? Who knows? Just some observations after watching a few other games on Center Ice, however. One, the Canes seem to be a slow team overall compared to what I see from other teams. This would partially explain some of the odd man rushes the opposition gets and our infrequent odd man rushes.. Second, the Canes have no "demolition man" who can or will stand in front of the net when the Canes are on offense. It is not unusual to see an attacking player get behind the defense, but rare to see it with the Canes. Three, on defense, the Canes allow an awful lot of empty space in front on Cam or Leights that I do not see nearly as frequently during other games. It is not unusual to see three defenders in front of the net. The Canes have on occasion collapsed back to protect the net, but nearly as often as I see in other games.

Because we would NOT have dealt for Recchi if Cole wasn't injured so I dont get how your point of we didnt use Cole as an excuse is valid because he got replaced and he was replaced because Cole got injured. JR said flat out he would not have gotten Recchi if Cole hadn't been injured so therefore it wasn't a roster boosting move.

I am still waiting for another example of us sustaining a major injury (without a trade to fix it) and it not killing our record in previous seasons.

I'll tell you what I'm gonna do from now on. Before I even half way consider a thought or begin to form an opinion, I'm gonna PM you. You then send me a note back and let me know if it lines with yours or sounds correct and give me permission to post it. Or, you can just tell me what to think about the Hurricanes, when to watch, and what games I'm allowed to take my wife and son to and I'll go from there.

Jesus, again, looks like the communication process has been broken down. I'm talking about this freaking season and used '06 as an example. My God. Lord knows, I wouldn't want anybody to post something that wouldn't be valid. I thought this was a message board, where people get to post their thoughts/opinions. Guess I've been out of the mix too long and didn't realize that their are still those out there that get aroused on constantly correcting others pts of view. I noticed your age on your profile....I should've known already that you clearly know everything about the game and especially the Hurricanes from your MANY years of experience.

I'll let you know when I have gathered enough of the critical information needed regarding previous seasons to be worthy of your praise and approval. I sure don't want you waiting too long, not sure I could sleep tonight if that happened b/c I sure don't wanna focus on this season.

I now bow down to you oh Holy Message Board critiquer (I'm trying to do what I can to build you up that much more, hope it helps).

P.S., sure hope I don't get a warning for this, that would just ruin the whole weekend for me. :o

Hockey1...Welcome to the boards. I was just a bit amped by another great win this afternoon...

I make typos too...

i do no think we should get ride of coach.. we just have to many yong guys that don't know aht they are dong

stuff

I simply asked when is another example of injuries not being an excuse to which you give 4 paragraphs of how I am apparently calling you out or something I dont know. Your right it is a messageboard, I guess you missed the part where people actually reply to what you write and not everyone agrees. I haven't said anything demeaning to you other then simply asking whens another example because Cole was replaced and that wasn't a good example.

However what I get back is you dont want to talk about previous seasons however you bring up a previous season and god for bid we should talk about previous examples of the team not responding well to injuries. However in the end injuries are not a valid excuse because ECU says so. So thats where we stand.

I simply asked when is another example of injuries not being an excuse to which you give 4 paragraphs of how I am apparently calling you out or something I dont know.

Yep, that sure is an accurate assessment of how you came at me----sarcasm alert. :lol:

GO CANES!!!!

i know god fordid if u say something negatory to what moderators say by THEIR rules, way to go ECUCANIAC, I AGREE 100 PERCENT..

Ummm.....what? Just checking in and reading through all this garbage. Not sure what this comment, directed at me and the rest of the staff is supposed to mean but if there's an issue, feel free to pm me.

Enough of the petty arguments already. After being away for the day, coming back and reading all this puts things into perspective nicely. For all those who are letting their emotions get the best of them during this losing skid, take a break, walk away from the keyboard and breathe. It'll do you a world of good.

The rules haven't changed from the beginning of the season and bad language (including circumventing the filter), personal attacks, insults, and baiting of others is still not allowed here.....and never will be. Some other boards allow these but we don't, its as simple as that. If that's what you're looking for, maybe this isn't the board for you.

We're doing our best to keep up with all the garbage not only posted by trolls and spammers, but also from our own members. Our pm boxes are full with complaints from many of you about several members. We try an take into consideration that people are frustrated with the team and need to vent but that's no excuse for blatantly disrespecting each other. Sometimes we miss things and thats what that nifty little button called "report a post" is for. If that's not easy enough, we also read PM's.

Take a breath and separate the frustration with the season from your frustration with members and staff here.

Hint: If you're pretty much p'd off at most members and all staff, chances are you're just p'd off in general. ;)

Take the personal battles to pm so the rest of us don't have to read it, you know who you are. In the mean time, I'll be looking for a pm to explain whatever beef the above post is about to me.

Oh and one more thing, no one is getting graded on spelling and grammar here so could everyone stop critiquing other people's posts. Thanks.