The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WhalefaninCT

Is it time?

If you look throughout the NHL, at teams that have missed the playoffs the last two years, how many still have the same head coach? I think it's time for a change to be made here.

Here's something interesting from what I'll call "one of Barry Melrose's exit interviews." I know he was talking about young Stamkos but isnt this the same issue in question here with some the slumping vets?

"They wanted (Stamkos) to play more, but I can't give a guy ice time just because he's a No. 1 pick. I'm not like that," Melrose told host Ron MacLean. "I can't give guys ice time just because they're paid a lot of money. I'm not like that. You have to earn ice time. It's your only power a coach has to motivate players.

"If you're giving it out just because the owners tell you to, or because the guy was No. 1, you're going to be fired whether it's 16 games or 30 games."

Full article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=392625

Here's something interesting from what I'll call "one of Barry Melrose's exit interviews." I know he was talking about young Stamkos but isnt this the same issue in question here with some the slumping vets?

"They wanted (Stamkos) to play more, but I can't give a guy ice time just because he's a No. 1 pick. I'm not like that," Melrose told host Ron MacLean. "I can't give guys ice time just because they're paid a lot of money. I'm not like that. You have to earn ice time. It's your only power a coach has to motivate players.

"If you're giving it out just because the owners tell you to, or because the guy was No. 1, you're going to be fired whether it's 16 games or 30 games."

Full article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=392625''>http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=392625' target="_blank">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=392625[/post]

You hear that Lavi?

The time is NOT today. Lavi needs to try and get his leaders to lead. If they lose or look bad tomorrow against Tampa JR will have to do something. I like Lavi and he brought us a cup, but tomorrow will determine if he's lost the team. IMHO.

Good God....what the hell team does not go out and get a couple of players to make a run for the cup? We were lucky enough to get not one, but two in Weight and Recchi. And, why would Brindy not be pumped up about Recchi coming?

Your missing my whole freaking point and seems like you'll just argue against it either way of what is said anyway. Seems like your one of the message board people out to prove everybody wrong and show that perhaps you know more than anybody else on here all the while but showing the utmost respect huh. Good job buddy, I'm glad there are those Canes fans out there like you that can keep us common folk straight. I'll look forward to you respecting everybody's points on this board as long as they align with yours. Jesus Christ.

WE SHOULD NOT GET RIDE OF COACH!!!!!! :angry: He is grate!!! (besides that they are loosing) I think it is the players who are not right not the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you. But JR should maybe talk to him and not fire him.. And if he dose get fired, who will we get for a new coach??

There's already been talk(over the summer), the results are the same and it's not acceptable. Get the job done or find someone who can! I don't think the players like Lavi's system, so they're simply gonna rebel against it untill something changes. Just like me, the players know its just more of the same, and that we need someone too get to the front of the net when we are on the power-play, collect those rebounds, Detroit does it and so do many other teams and they cash in quite a bit. Last night I was watching Edmonton vs. Colorado, Ryan Smyth did the little things right by going to the net(and he's not even a center), he scored a goal on Roloson that wouldn't have happened if he had not done so. Staal seems to be afraid of the net a times! That being said, change the coach, change the system, and get us a center who can stand put in front of the net.

I agree with you. But JR should maybe talk to him and not fire him.. And if he dose get fired, who will we get for a new coach??

The immediate replacement would most likely be Tom Rowe. After this season, if the team chooses to look elsewhere, Ron Francis is an option that has been mentioned by people on this message board as well as others. I'd like to see him get the opportunity, as I think he certainly has the mentality to be a successful coach in the NHL.

The immediate replacement would most likely be Tom Rowe. After this season, if the team chooses to look elsewhere, Ron Francis is an option that has been mentioned by people on this message board as well as others. I'd like to see him get the opportunity, as I think he certainly has the mentality to be a successful coach in the NHL.

I have to agree that Ron francis could be a choice. he knows the team well and has played on it before so that would get a plus. :) Who is tom rowe?? Never heard of him? Is he pretty good? :unsure:

I have to agree that Ron francis could be a choice. he knows the team well and has played on it before so that would get a plus. :) Who is tom rowe?? Never heard of him? Is he pretty good? :unsure:

Tom Rowe's the current assistant coach. We won't know if he's good untill he takes over, but he did a great job with the River Rats the past several years.

It really looks like Francis is headed the front office direction. I have an easier time seeing him as a GM than as a head coach, it just seems to fit his on ice personality more.

There's already been talk(over the summer), the results are the same and it's not acceptable. Get the job done or find someone who can! I don't think the players like Lavi's system, so they're simply gonna rebel against it untill something changes. Just like me, the players know its just more of the same, and that we need someone too get to the front of the net when we are on the power-play, collect those rebounds, Detroit does it and so do many other teams and they cash in quite a bit. Last night I was watching Edmonton vs. Colorado, Ryan Smyth did the little things right by going to the net(and he's not even a center), he scored a goal on Roloson that wouldn't have happened if he had not done so. Staal seems to be afraid of the net a times! That being said, change the coach, change the system, and get us a center who can stand put in front of the net.

Good post that pretty much says it all about Lavi's style of play, I don't think he even knows another one.

Since you mentioned Staal's play I would like to address that also. As far as Staal I did believe his lack of effort this past month was from a shoulder injury and needed time, however I think he needs to deal with it now or ask for some healing time (I have said in other threads that he did not need to sit out, but I have changed my mind in the past 2 games). If you recall how Kaberle changed after his shoulder injury and surgery and his effort went down to the bottom of the barrel with what I believe was fear of being hit and would make stupid passes to get rid of the puck. Having said that when I compare Kaberle and Staal's lack of effort it just reminds me of the same thing. Staal fears he's going to get hit and injured even more. I still have games on my DVR from the last 3 months of last season and in litteraly almost every shift that Cole and Staal were together, if any player and I mean any player, touched, nudged, or hit Staal, Cole was in their face and giving them hell. When Cole was on the ice with Staal the other players seemed to stop messing with Staal and he played like a bandit. Staal does not have anyone doing that for him now and I feel that he is injured now and feels fear of impending more serious injury. I'm not saying he's wimping out or that another player is suppose to step up in Cole's place like he did, I'm just saying he does not have that mental cushion out there for him and it affects his game (I don't think that's 100% what is going on with Staal, but a critical part of it). If anyone still has games on their DVR just watch Cole and Staal together, it's really amazing how consistantly Cole came to Staal's defense almost every time. Please give me imput on what you think if you have any of theses games. I'm just saying...

Tom Rowe's the current assistant coach. We won't know if he's good untill he takes over, but he did a great job with the River Rats the past several years.

I also think it's important to note Rowe's tenure with the Hurricanes' franchise. He was the head coach of the Hurricanes' AHL affiliate the last four years, which dates back to the Lowell Lock Monsters. He has coached both Eric Staal and Cam Ward through an entire AHL season, so there is history there. Ward, in particular, had his best professional season under Rowe in the lockout season when he recorded six shutouts and a 1.99 GAA in 50 games-played. I think that familiarity will be key if a change is made, as those two players are the cornerstones of this franchise. If Staal and Ward buy into Rowe's style of play quickly, I would expect everyone else to be close behind.

I find it funny people want Lavi fired b/c his system isn't working anymore, but do you realize that Rowe uses the same system. So if we make a change in coaches what difference is it going to make when the coach to take his place uses the same system. It was mentioned last year by Forslund that Rowe used the same style in Albany and that is why the guys being called up fit in so well. Its because they already knew the system and have already played that system down in Albany.

If a coaching change is to be made, the replacement shouldn't be a guy who imploys the same system.

Good post that pretty much says it all about Lavi's style of play, I don't think he even knows another one.

Since you mentioned Staal's play I would like to address that also. As far as Staal I did believe his lack of effort this past month was from a shoulder injury and needed time, however I think he needs to deal with it now or ask for some healing time (I have said in other threads that he did not need to sit out, but I have changed my mind in the past 2 games). If you recall how Kaberle changed after his shoulder injury and surgery and his effort went down to the bottom of the barrel with what I believe was fear of being hit and would make stupid passes to get rid of the puck. Having said that when I compare Kaberle and Staal's lack of effort it just reminds me of the same thing. Staal fears he's going to get hit and injured even more. I still have games on my DVR from the last 3 months of last season and in litteraly almost every shift that Cole and Staal were together, if any player and I mean any player, touched, nudged, or hit Staal, Cole was in their face and giving them hell. When Cole was on the ice with Staal the other players seemed to stop messing with Staal and he played like a bandit. Staal does not have anyone doing that for him now and I feel that he is injured now and feels fear of impending more serious injury. I'm not saying he's wimping out or that another player is suppose to step up in Cole's place like he did, I'm just saying he does not have that mental cushion out there for him and it affects his game (I don't think that's 100% what is going on with Staal, but a critical part of it). If anyone still has games on their DVR just watch Cole and Staal together, it's really amazing how consistantly Cole came to Staal's defense almost every time. Please give me imput on what you think if you have any of theses games. I'm just saying...

Thanks for the nice comment, I don't have any games DVR'ed but I do remember how much Staal was complemented by Colesy, I really feel if JR would go out and find him help (ie; a star right wing) like that he'd get his game back on track(injured or not, Staal has played all but one game during his tenure with the 'Canes) instead of Lavi screwing with the lines and messing with what little chemistry we have , it just doesn't work at all! Good points made caniac59!!! Staal's got the physical ailment(shoulder), and you're rightthe mental state is taking over more and not allowing him too be STAAL! I think he needs to get a better opinion on the injury and get it fixed before the season really gets out of hand for him. I agree, I don't think he's wimping out because I've seen Staal get physical before. Go 'Canes!!!

A guy called in to 99.9 postgame and told Forslund that he thought Lavi should get sacked.

Forslund made the point that Lavi is still considered a winner within the org., that the team is still responding to him and that other players around the league still have a lot of respect for the Canes work ethic.(He cited St. Louis in particular).

He discounted the "Laviolette has not got it done in 2.5 yrs. argument" by pointing out the success Lavi had in bringing together the team with all the Rats and the injuries late last yr. - missing the playoffs by only 1 point.

The main thing Forslund was saying about this year is that with all the new guys - the team just has not found its identity yet.

I despise the Sabres as much as anyone (because of thier fans) but Forslund also made a great point that the Sabres have stuck with Ruff through the bad times and it has paid off for them in the long run with a consistently good team.

All good points and makin me rethink my stance. Winning today obviously helps too. I've got a lot of respect for Forslund - he is close to the team and has a helluva lot better read on Lavi than I do.

So call me a flip flopper but I'm in Laviolette's corner again. I keep telling myself not to post in frustration but sometimes it gets the best of me. :angry: Probly because I hate losing so much.

A guy called in to 99.9 postgame and told Forslund that he thought Lavi should get sacked.

Forslund made the point that Lavi is still considered a winner within the org., that the team is still responding to him and that other players around the league still have a lot of respect for the Canes work ethic.(He cited St. Louis in particular).

He discounted the "Laviolette has not got it done in 2.5 yrs. argument" by pointing out the success Lavi had in bringing together the team with all the Rats and the injuries late last yr. - missing the playoffs by only 1 point.

The main thing Forslund was saying about this year is that with all the new guys - the team just has not found its identity yet.

I despise the Sabres as much as anyone (because of thier fans) but Forslund also made a great point that the Sabres have stuck with Ruff through the bad times and it has paid off for them in the long run with a consistently good team.

All good points and makin me rethink my stance. Winning today obviously helps too. I've got a lot of respect for Forslund - he is close to the team and has a helluva lot better read on Lavi than I do.

So call me a flip flopper but I'm in Laviolette's corner again. I keep telling myself not to post in frustration but sometimes it gets the best of me. :angry: Probly because I hate losing so much.

I heard the same segment and Forslund really did bring up some great points. He also said that questioning the coach's job security was valid and expected it to be discussed among fans who care. Now I know some will say he's employed by the team and its his job to "put out fires and add a positive spin" but unless he's an academy award winner, he sure sounded sincere and direct to me. One point he made was if a team has stopped listening to a coach, they give no response at all. This team is slowly improving showing they are responding.

Forsland made a similar comment on 99.9 after the last game, that the problem with the team is not a problem with the coach. Getting rid of Lavi might fire up the team for a few games, but then they would be left with the same problems that they would still need to fix.

From the comments about the practices, it doesn't sound like a coach that has lost the team. He asks them to work hard, and take it seriously - and they do. He asks them to smile and be upbeat, and they are. And I haven't heard of anyone "breaking ranks" in interviews.

And they are improving, even if not in the leaps and bounds it seems like they should be able to. It seems to me that the best bet is if the team can turn it around themselves. They will be a better team for it, rather than depending on a band-aid that will simply disguise the problems for a few games. I hope they get that chance, and I hope they are up to the task.

Now I know some will say he's employed by the team and its his job to "put out fires and add a positive spin" but unless he's an academy award winner, he sure sounded sincere and direct to me.

Yeah Forslund is a homer but IMO he is always brutally honest and will be the first to say when the team or the coach are not getting it done.

I hear ya Hockey1...Great call - talk with him find out whats he needs, where he is...

Exactly! Just ask the *vomit* Pittsburgh Steelers *vomit* how not changing coaches can be. Too many teams take a what have you done for me lately approach to their coaches. If the players see that managment is not waivering in their support toward Lavi and it is his way or the highway. They will come around or get rid of them. No player is bigger than the organization and IMO the coach is a part of the organization.

Yes, and the question is, which member of this board was it? Anyone.....anyone.....Bueller???

We heard that too, and it was good to hear Forslund totally dismiss the idea of firing him.