The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

It is not the coaching. Maybe it's the 30 something players out there that should be carrying this team. Maybe the talent is just not there, they are three years older than the cup year. where is the youth?

Don't want to wade through all the posts, but didn't Mo have a history of losing his team both here and in Toronto?

Yes, I think JR is trying to multiply our negatives to get a positve.

We're not talking about rehiring a coach like, say, Scotty Bowman. Paul Maurice?!? I continue the puzzlement on this one. I'm all for shaking things up, but not like this.

Maurice couldn't even win with Joe Vasicek as his leading scorer! If you can't win with a team led by Joe Vasicek, you aren't going to be able to coach in the NHL.

IMO>>>

I don't know if Lavi deserved being fired at this point. Yes, we missed the playoffs the last two years but, we have had a lot of injuries too. Were the injuries Lavi's fault? Maybe / Maybe not. I cannot answer that question. But what is done is done.

We have Maurice back now for the rest of the season. OK, let's see what he has learned since being with Toronto. Can he come in and put a fire under the players? I sure hope so because that is what it is going to take to produce. Maybe he can get more out of the players. I know I would say "Produce or look for another home."

Well, that's all I have say. ;)

OK...I am done with this. I will leave it to all you nay saysers that just will not be happy unless you complain. Go turn in all your tickets, back up all your t-shirts and clothing, turn in your Canes plates, put away the flags, boo Mo, whatever you feel fit to make you feel better.

Us real fans will be there supporting a team that has been nothing but sucessful since they have been here. Go ask Winnipeg, Hartofrd, Quebec, how they would fell if the Canes moved to their town with coach MO.

YOu have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and you question people that have been in hockey for theri whole lives. Until ronnie shows me different I am behind him 100%. Anything he has done has turned to gold. Why not this.

Have at it nay sayers. Throw up, whine, complain all you want. I for one will look forward to this change and will root for my team no matter what.

GO JR, GO MO, GO RF, GO CANES. C-ya

I will still be at the games, I will still support the Canes--that is not the issue. But if Ronnie is the Coach--make him the coach. If he needs help, make Mo the assisstant. I would rather take a chance on the unknown then go back to the past and repeat a past failure.

Lavi being fired, I can deal with.

But Maurice? What the hell, JR?

My exact reaction. This is classic insanity -- doing the same thing, pver and over expecting a different result.

Maurice couldn't even win with Joe Vasicek as his leading scorer! If you can't win with a team led by Joe Vasicek, you aren't going to be able to coach in the NHL.

Now that really made me laugh.

No, you suck as a coach when your two leading scorers from the year before, Battaglia and Oneil, become off ice behavior problems. You suck as a coach when your team is at the bottom of every offensive stat for two straight seasons. You suck as a coach when you get fired after one year of coaching the next team that hired you.

Does this mean we're returning to "The perfect shot" strategy, where we pass it back and forth 10,000,000 times and then maybe take a shot. Resulting in a total of 12 shots on goal for an entire game?

This blows

So this is a Joke right? I mean really, its a joke right please anyone? Getting rid of Lavi was probably a step in the right direction but Maurice isnt qualified to be a stick boy much less the coach AGAIN!!! This Franchise is begining a not so slow death. I see a sale and a move to Canada in the not to distant future.

I don't think you know what your talking about. Mo, is a great coach, all coaches are fired after a few seasons, thats how hockey works. Mo, dosen't want to blow it again, players loved him, and i"m sure it killed him watching Lavi win a cup after he left. Lavi is arc rival and Mo wants to out do him. Lets give him a chance.

You are what they call a fair weathered fan. boo hoo we're going thru hard times and making a coaching change, lets calll the team a joke and stop supporting them. Canes aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Lets not forget there still 8 th in the conference and 11-10 , things could be worse.

Does this mean we're returning to "The perfect shot" strategy, where we pass it back and forth 10,000,000 times and then maybe take a shot. Resulting in a total of 12 shots on goal for an entire game?

This blows

Correctamundo!!!

I don't think you know what your talking about. Mo, is a great coach, all coaches are fired after a few seasons, thats how hockey works. Mo, dosen't want to blow it again, players loved him, and i"m sure it killed him watching Lavi win a cup after he left. Lavi is arc rival and Mo wants to out do him. Lets give him a chance.

The players most certaintly did not love him. He bag skated his team into submission because he had no other coaching tatics.

This was coming. JR and Pete have not been communicating well for the last three weeks. Injuries and malcontent have been running high across the entire organization. Maurice (as I have been told) is hired to a one year contract at $500k with stipend and some possible bonuses. Maurice has been tasked to look for additional low cost enforcers to match his defensive coaching style. This strategy theoretically should reduce further injuries as we are to move away from transition type play. JR looks at this season as a loss, and his major trust forward is to spend little money as possible for the remaining season. We may not support these decisions

You are what they call a fair weathered fan. boo hoo we're going thru hard times and making a coaching change, lets calll the team a joke and stop supporting them. Canes aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Lets not forget there still 8 th in the conference and 11-10 , things could be worse.

im far from a Fair weather fan and thats why Im so po'd about this.

This is classic insanity -- doing the same thing, pver and over expecting a different result.

That's my reaction as well. I'm not against a coaching change, but what the heck is wrong with JR? No other coaches out there want the job?

Didn't see this one coming..Wow!! can't figure out the logic. Maybe buy some time for either Francis or Rowe to move up. I will be very interested to see how the team responds tomorrow night. I wish Mo well because I'm a Canes fan and want the team to do well...But Oh My! Good Luck to Lavi.

He brought us the cup and I hope his next coaching job is out west so we don't have to play against him to often.

Didn't see this one coming..Wow!! can't figure out the logic. Maybe buy some time for either Francis or Rowe to move up. I will be very interested to see how the team responds tomorrow night. I wish Mo well because I'm a Canes fan and want the team to do well...But Oh My! Good Luck to Lavi.

He brought us the cup and I hope his next coaching job is out west so we don't have to play against him to often.

What the?!?!?!?!?!?

I said a new coach....

Ugggg....going back to basketball....

Oh Ye of little faith! Go back to basketball, that game of "Don't touch me...WHAAA!" True hockey fans will support the team, the coaches, and the management. The do, by the way, make the money and YES can be fired at the drop of a hat.

I say "LET'S GO CANES...." No matter who is on or behind the bench!

It seems our scoring problems stem from Staal and Brindy not producing. I wonder what they did when MO was thier coach...

Staal

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG PPA SHG SHA GW GT SOG Pct

2003-04 CAR 81 11 20 31 -6 40 2 5 1 0 3 0 164 .067

Brindy

2002-03 CAR 48 14 23 37 -9 37 7 13 1 1 0 0 110 .127

2003-04 CAR 78 12 26 38 0 28 1 3 0 1 1 0 141 .085

only about 1/2 of 2003-04 was under MO. Doesn't look too good

No, you suck as a coach when your two leading scorers from the year before, Battaglia and Oneil, become off ice behavior problems. You suck as a coach when your team is at the bottom of every offensive stat for two straight seasons. You suck as a coach when you get fired after one year of coaching the next team that hired you.

The thing is, we know that O'neill and Battaglia were Mo's fault, because their careers took off again in seasons they weren't coached by him. Bates already has what, 8 goals and 12 assists this year in Colorado, and Jeff O'neill is lighting it up on Vancouver's top line...or something like that, I might be confusing them with people in the NHL.