The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Wasn't a hockey fanatic until the Canes came back from the lock-out. (Was somwhat interested but didn't watch every game so my question might be somewhat amiss.) How many of our currrent players played for the guy and how did they respond to his coaching style?

It seems our scoring problems stem from Staal and Brindy not producing. I wonder what they did when MO was thier coach...

Staal

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG PPA SHG SHA GW GT SOG Pct

2003-04 CAR 81 11 20 31 -6 40 2 5 1 0 3 0 164 .067

Brindy

2002-03 CAR 48 14 23 37 -9 37 7 13 1 1 0 0 110 .127

2003-04 CAR 78 12 26 38 0 28 1 3 0 1 1 0 141 .085

only about 1/2 of 2003-04 was under MO. Doesn't look too good

Staal was also a rookie that year, theres alot of things to compare but this one I dunno.

Wasn't staal a 3rd liner that year behind Ronnie and Rod?

Wasn't a hockey fanatic until the Canes came back from the lock-out. (Was somwhat interested but didn't watch every game so my question might be somewhat amiss.) How many of our currrent players played for the guy and how did they respond to his coaching style?

Brindy, Staal, Williams and Wallin are all thats left.

I cant speak for them but the overall team was fed up with bag skates every time they lost, and he bag skated them until he lost control of the team. Jeff O'Neill hated the guys guts that much I can say.

Maurice is a ultra conservative coach who DOESNT pinch his D-men and will try to get up 1-0 and hold it and when he loses it try to come back. We lost many a game in the last 5 minutes from trying to ride a bull with him and I saw the same issues with Toronto when we kept coming back from 3 goals leads verus his team.

So now my question is wth do we do with Joni and Corvo now with a coach who hates pinching. He made Sandis Ozolinsh, prolly the premier offensive d-man back in 2000 look like a idiot with his reigns on him.

The thing is, we know that O'neill and Battaglia were Mo's fault, because their careers took off again in seasons they weren't coached by him. Bates already has what, 8 goals and 12 assists this year in Colorado, and Jeff O'neill is lighting it up on Vancouver's top line...or something like that, I might be confusing them with people in the NHL.

You definitely are a Rookie..? :blink:

Unless the NHL Player profile is wrong neither is currently playing.

Nolan's only problem with the Islanders is his hesitance to use young players. And since that's essentially all the Islanders had at the time, and all they could hope for, he got canned.

However, he took an Islanders team, that, by all means, should have been scrapping for the 1st overall, and took them to the playoffs. He's a much, much better option than Mo.

I'm seriously tempted to buy tickets to tomorrow's game, just to boo when PM's announced as the head coach.

Brindy, Staal, Williams and Wallin are all thats left.

I cant speak for them but the overall team was fed up with bag skates every time they lost, and he bag skated them until he lost control of the team. Jeff O'Neill hated the guys guts that much I can say.

Wouldn't you expect to be "bag" (such bad imigery) if you got embarassed?

Hey we also need a goalie since ward is out, whats Irbe doin?

JR is on the phone now, Peters will be sent back down. Welcome the return of the Latvian!!

Okay, so I saw the end of the Laviolette era coming, and I wasn't surprised that he got fired, but I was stunned...STUNNED, that JR would bring back Maurice. The glimmer of light here is that standing right behind him is Ron Francis. Could it be that Mo is a temp?

The only real thing that matters is what the team thinks and how they perform for the next few games. If they start winning, it was a good and smart move. If they remain static, then Rutherford screwed up and he should be the next to go. I'm not throwing in my season tickets yet, but I'm not especially sanguine about the change...until I see some results.

For all you folks throwing in your season tickets, changing allegiances, whatever...you may well be justified, but you all need to settle down and see what tomorrow, and the next ten games, brings.

Okay, so I saw the end of the Laviolette era coming, and I wasn't surprised that he got fired, but I was stunned...STUNNED, that JR would bring back Maurice. The glimmer of light here is that standing right behind him is Ron Francis. Could it be that Mo is a temp?

The only real thing that matters is what the team thinks and how they perform for the next few games. If they start winning, it was a good and smart move. If they remain static, then Rutherford screwed up and he should be the next to go. I'm not throwing in my season tickets yet, but I'm not especially sanguine about the change...until I see some results.

For all you folks throwing in your season tickets, changing allegiances, whatever...you may well be justified, but you all need to settle down and see what tomorrow, and the next ten games, brings.

omg THANK YOU

someone who is not a crybaby

Here's the deal from my perspective. When I fork out money every year on full season tix in premier seating, I have a RIGHT to be ticked at the team, ticked at management, ticked at the coach and ticked at this choice for replacement coach. I have no control over any of it, but I have a right.

The only things I have control over are a) whether I bother to go to the games / sit thro an entire game and B) whether I renew.

At this point, I'll renew because I always have hope that things will be better in the future. Will I go to games? Probably , but it sure isn't fun to watch any of them because I have no hope of us winning one.

I don't know whether the problem is team chemistry, style of play, how the team is built, too much changing of lines and gameplans, lack of team faith in the coach or what.

It is NOT injuries folks. There are plenty of injuries on other teams and they are doing just fine.

We've had a problem with the power play - ever since we've won the Cup.

We've had a problem with inconsistent play - ever since we've won the Cup.

We've had a problem with not being able to play a "full 60 minutes" - ever since we've won the Cup.

We've had a problem with scoring - ever since we've won the Cup.

SOmething has to change. It had to be Laviolette. I don't like Maurice as our new coach - I didn't like him as our old coach. As JR made clear in the press conference, this is for THIS YEAR ONLY!!!

I only hope that if we are going to bomb this year, let's bomb big. That way, we can pick up a high draft pick. Hopefully, there will be a good, reliable scorer among this draft class!!!

After watching the press conference...I'm still upset, but I'm thinking more.... Was this JR's decision totally? Or did Francis have some say in this? Maurice and Francis go back quite a ways too... Maybe JR asked Ron who he'd like to coach with, and Francis said MO? I dunno...

It just doesn't make any sense to me. There are coaches available, some with Stanley Cup victories, why Maurice? Why now?

JR did say it would be re-evaluated at the end of the season. It could be that Francis is getting a feel for coaching....and he's going through the rest of this season to see how he likes it, and maybe he takes over next year.

I like what MO had to say.... just not sure he's actually going to do it. at first he says he's not going to really change the system but tweak it, which is needed... defensemen need to be a little more selective about when the pinch, ect. But later in the conference, he said..."We're not going to make any big changes to the system 'right away'." I will not watch Paul Maurice's pre-lockout sytle, so hopefully he brings something better... I can tell you, when he says the first thing he's going to do is individual meetings... it doesn't sound like he's here for just short time.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and if I am I'll eat my words, but I think this is a mistake.

So I'm not thrilled with this either. Having lived in Toronto for 4 years (most of them when Mo was coaching), I agree with other posters who have said that Toronto is a circus. The media attention is just crazy, as are the fans -- and by crazy, I mean having fans running up and down Yonge St., cars driving up and down honking their horns, etc. This is all happened because of winning a first round playoff series against Ottawa (despite being quite promptly dispatched in the next round, it was all good since the Leafs beat the Sens). My concern with Mo returning is the comments that have come out of Toronto after he left -- that it was a "country club atmosphere" and players didn't have to work hard. That being said, I believe Mo got on Kyle Wellwood for his lack of fitness. So we'll see what happens. I agree with the comments Forslund made about the power play on 99.9 after the Anaheim game -- he said that we're moving the puck too slow and guys look tentative out there. Now, for an example of a good power play, go check out Minnesota. Minny has the 2nd best power play in the league (last time I looked, it was around 24%) but yet has the reputation for being a stifling defensive team (that 6-5 loss to Colorado being the exception). If Mo can figure out how to get our guys to play better defensively 5-on-5 (especially our "offensive" guys *cough, cough* Pitkanen) maybe he can let them loose on the power play and see what happens. Perhaps Francis will be taking a good look at the PP and making some suggestions? As for hiring Torts, that would have been a disaster! For all of you who think that Ward has problems now, just imagine what having Torts would do -- anyone remember how he treated his goalies in Tampa? I do not think that would help Ward become more consistent and reliable.

Nolan's only problem with the Islanders is his hesitance to use young players. And since that's essentially all the Islanders had at the time, and all they could hope for, he got canned.

However, he took an Islanders team, that, by all means, should have been scrapping for the 1st overall, and took them to the playoffs. He's a much, much better option than Mo.

I'm seriously tempted to buy tickets to tomorrow's game, just to boo when PM's announced as the head coach.

Do us all a favor and stay away anyone that would be such an idiot as to boo MO in his first game back. :rolleyes:

So I'm not thrilled with this either. Having lived in Toronto for 4 years (most of them when Mo was coaching), I agree with other posters who have said that Toronto is a circus. The media attention is just crazy, as are the fans -- and by crazy, I mean having fans running up and down Yonge St., cars driving up and down honking their horns, etc. This is all happened because of winning a first round playoff series against Ottawa (despite being quite promptly dispatched in the next round, it was all good since the Leafs beat the Sens). My concern with Mo returning is the comments that have come out of Toronto after he left -- that it was a "country club atmosphere" and players didn't have to work hard. That being said, I believe Mo got on Kyle Wellwood for his lack of fitness. So we'll see what happens. I agree with the comments Forslund made about the power play on 99.9 after the Anaheim game -- he said that we're moving the puck too slow and guys look tentative out there. Now, for an example of a good power play, go check out Minnesota. Minny has the 2nd best power play in the league (last time I looked, it was around 24%) but yet has the reputation for being a stifling defensive team (that 6-5 loss to Colorado being the exception). If Mo can figure out how to get our guys to play better defensively 5-on-5 (especially our "offensive" guys *cough, cough* Pitkanen) maybe he can let them loose on the power play and see what happens. Perhaps Francis will be taking a good look at the PP and making some suggestions? As for hiring Torts, that would have been a disaster! For all of you who think that Ward has problems now, just imagine what having Torts would do -- anyone remember how he treated his goalies in Tampa? I do not think that would help Ward become more consistent and reliable.

Pitkanen is NOT that bad defensively....

Do us all a favor and stay away anyone that would be such an idiot as to boo MO in his first game back. :rolleyes:

Didn't get enough booing in during his last stint here. He's been building interest.