The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

I am so mad. The wrong person is taking the fall for this teams shortcomings.

Let me make sure i have this right! We fire Maurice, we hire Peter L, the Leafs Hire and Fire Maurice, and we hire him again after we fire Peter L? It is time for Canes Management to step up and take responsibility! This is Rutherfords team that he has put together. When is somebody going to knock on his door? When the seats are empty? Maybe he will go to congress and ask for help. I know it is cheaper to fire the coach than it is to fire the players who don't really understand that they have a contract and an obligation to give their all when they hit the ice. They don't even bother to stop and sign autographs for the fans anymore except for a couple of them. So much for community involvement and fan appreciation

Maurice is a loser and is not what we need here! Where is Daniels,Put Francis out there, put Barrasco out there.Rutherford couldn't do better than this? Put him out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of the CONTRACT WITH THE FANS bull they pulled a few years back. If they keep this loser my 4 season tickets are done after this year and I will go to see my other team when they come to town. GO Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to kill some of our players though. Corvo has a reputation for going into a shell whenever he gets criticized for his play on the ice. Mo is going to tear him a new one on a consistent basis, which means Corvo will stay in his shell.

You didn't suffer thru '03 or '04 did you?? '04 was the worst!! at least '03 got us a decent draft pick (Staal).

Oh yea, I suffered, but I did not boo. I have never boo'ed any of my teams no matter what sport it is. Just the way I am. Does not mean I don't suffer just like anyone else.

Wow, after reading through the first few pages here I have to say I never knew we had so many fairweather fans. I didn't know we could afford that.

Here's my take on this move: firing the coach is just what happens in sports. Whether it is fair or not, if they aren't a hall-of-fame coach it is much easier to get rid of them. Bringing in Maurice is a horrible idea. I am truly drawing a blank on what JR was thinking when he made this move. Maybe his number came up first in the rolodex.

On the plus side: something needed to be done. This is something. Look at the team we've got on the ice now; we are no longer the speedy, high-powered-offense-with-occasional-defense team that we were a couple years ago. The players we have brought in are not big time scorers. We are, at this moment, more of a grinding team than an offensive team. So getting rid of a coach with a system slanted towards offense without the players to back it up and getting a coach who is more defensive minded is not the worst move ever. But to me, surely there was a better one than Maurice out there.

At least this signals to me that we have made a decision on this year. If we were going to make a run at the playoffs, something needed to change. If not, let us go into official rebuilding mode and go from there. Now we know this is a rebuilding year and we aren't going to put up with another year of barely missing the playoffs and missing decent draft picks.

Classy :rolleyes:

How many tickets do you have, I could use a few. And MY TEAM AND NEW COACH could use a little support too. You know, the team you posted pictures about skating with and getting autographs from last night? Same team that will be there tomorrow night looking for a little faith.

Do the team a favor and stay home. :angry:

Dude, you act like your the only one that's followed this team since its inception. We all survived 03 and 04 and we'll survive 08-09. Nobody has a gun to your head making you buy tickets.

Actually they do, you have never met my ticket rep!! LOL My big beef is if the team needs to take another direction you don't look to something you know failed.

I am sad to see coach Pete go. He got us the Cup, which many teams are still trying to achieve. I know he will be missed by many. But here is to a fresh start, and hopefully a run on winning. If you are a real fan, you will stick with the team, and Give Mo a chance. In the news conference he made references to the old style of play, and knows it is a different league now, with the rule changes. Sometimes teams need to light a fire under some people, even though what gets changed is not really the problem. Teams pull goalies to light a spark under the team, even though it may not be the goalies fault, but to wake up the rest of the team. I feel that is what happened here. So all there is now to say is

Lets go MO and LETS GO CANES, this may actually be a blessing in disguise, lets hope so.

Heres to a new chapter in Canes history, LETS GO CANES

It seems our scoring problems stem from Staal and Brindy not producing. I wonder what they did when MO was thier coach...

Staal

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG PPA SHG SHA GW GT SOG Pct

2003-04 CAR 81 11 20 31 -6 40 2 5 1 0 3 0 164 .067

Brindy

2002-03 CAR 48 14 23 37 -9 37 7 13 1 1 0 0 110 .127

2003-04 CAR 78 12 26 38 0 28 1 3 0 1 1 0 141 .085

only about 1/2 of 2003-04 was under MO. Doesn't look too good

All pre-lockout numbers

it like comparing apples to oranges.

Hey people look on the bright side, atleast the press conferences will be a hoot. Gotta admit, Mo does know how to play media. Weren't some of you complaining that Lavi showed no emotion in his press conferences? Well you'll get emotion from Mo. :P

exactly what i thought-he had the media eating out of his hand this morning.

Good afternoon, all. I have been a silent observer on the message boards for some time now and figured this was as good a time as any to make my first official post as this is huge news for the team. I love this team and want only what's best for it. And while questioning the decisions that were made by JR with respect to firing Lavi and re-hiring Mo, I for one, will NOT be taking my furstrations on our old/new (what other organization can you have this situation??) coach by booing him this Thurday vs. Pitt. Even though he is not the first choice most of us would have made, with all our infinite wisdom (ha-ha), we still need to get behind him and support him and the team so maybe we can start winning some games - especially at home :-D !

On another note, I am HUGE Willy fan and can't wait to see him back on the ice with the team.

On the plus side: something needed to be done. This is something. Look at the team we've got on the ice now; we are no longer the speedy, high-powered-offense-with-occasional-defense team that we were a couple years ago. The players we have brought in are not big time scorers. We are, at this moment, more of a grinding team than an offensive team. So getting rid of a coach with a system slanted towards offense without the players to back it up and getting a coach who is more defensive minded is not the worst move ever. But to me, surely there was a better one than Maurice out there.

At least this signals to me that we have made a decision on this year. If we were going to make a run at the playoffs, something needed to change. If not, let us go into official rebuilding mode and go from there. Now we know this is a rebuilding year and we aren't going to put up with another year of barely missing the playoffs and missing decent draft picks.

Two problems with that. First of all, Mo said he's not messing with the system in the press conference. So, we're going to attempt to be the same speedy, high-powered offense we were under Lavi (which hasn't worked in the past 3 years), but defensively, we're going to be playing the trap. Except it's Mo's "It's not a trap" trap.

And we won't go into rebuild. It's not what JR does. If there's even the slightest chance we'll sneak into the playoffs, he'll make everything worse by grabbing Anson Carter again.

All of you who are galloping around on your High Horses calling us Fair weather fans need to look at what we are really saying. We are not mad a Lavi being let go it is that a proven failure has been given the coaching job of our team. There is no logical reason for why JR did this.

"We are going to try and make some adjustments that we hope none of you will notice"

So we keeping the lackluster effort and horrific PP. Nice. Cause I would notice that if those areas got better.

Wow, after reading through the first few pages here I have to say I never knew we had so many fairweather fans. I didn't know we could afford that.

Here's my take on this move: firing the coach is just what happens in sports. Whether it is fair or not, if they aren't a hall-of-fame coach it is much easier to get rid of them. Bringing in Maurice is a horrible idea. I am truly drawing a blank on what JR was thinking when he made this move. Maybe his number came up first in the rolodex.

not being fair weather fans as much as why should i drop $5k a season to watch this when Center Ice is $150. I was a STH during the Maurice years and was on the verge of not renewing again when he got fired, gave Lavi a chance and liked his style of play.

Okay...I've taken my time to reflect on this. First, I will be at the game tomorrow cheering on and supporting MY TEAM and MY COACH. I would hope everyone on this board does the same.

Although not totally thrilled with the move, I think a change was in order, Mo is a player's coach and he may be able to boost the chemistry a bit. I hope that Ronnie is responsible for special teams play and that Mo just stays away from that part of the team. Remember that Ronnie had a lot to do with the PP success when we won the Cup.

I also thought that Mo had an interesting stat that only 3 teams (us, Buffalo and Toronto) implemented the same offensive system in the Eastern Conference and none made the playoffs. Maybe a little bit more defensive responsibilty will help this team. I think we can be a lot like Minnesota but with a bit more aggression on the offensive front as we have the players to do it.

Tough 3 games coming up, let's do our part and support the team.

Ronnie had a lot to do with our PP success in 06?

Could've sworn he didn't join the organization until fall 07.

So we keeping the lackluster effort and horrific PP. Nice.

Yeah, that line confused me. Pretty sure the whole point of hiring him was to see some visible changes to the team.

Come on people give the guy a chance. I guarantee you if he comes in here and we start winning everyone will be all "JR'S GREATEST MOVE YET!"

now if after a month or 2 were in the same position or worse, then by all means rip him a new one.

Lavi had his chance and he just couldnt get people to play to their potential. He did good with what he was GIVEN but couldnt GET anything from his players

If we start winning, I'll just reference what happened to Atlanta last year. They fired their coach, went on a winning streak shortly after, and finished the season at the bottom of the league.

I'm still going to go to the games; seeing and having hockey is better than not experiencing it at all.

I am stunned by the move; not by Lavi's firing (well a little bit), but mostly by going back to Maurice. I would like to know JR's real reasoning behind this. I guess we'll see how it plays out on the ice.

Remember folks, this franchise has been through worse, and lived to tell about it PLUS went on to great success. Let's not think that this is the very end; at worse just a bump in the road. If you don't like it though, then that's fine and you're free to leave. We'll welcome you back with open arms when you come around.

For those of you saying "I'll support the team no matter what", then what exactly would JR have to do to lose your support?

How about Scott Stevens as coach? How about trading Corvo for Orpik? Trade Staal for Avery? How much abuse would you take?

Blindly supporting the team no matter what they do to us just invites more abuse. The only voice the fans really have is to not show up to the games and deny the team the revenue. As an STH, there's really nothing I can do other than deny them the parking money and concession sales for the rest of the season.

For those of you saying "I'll support the team no matter what", then what exactly would JR have to do to lose your support?

How about Scott Stevens as coach? How about trading Corvo for Orpik? Trade Staal for Avery? How much abuse would you take?

Blindly supporting the team no matter what they do to us just invites more abuse. The only voice the fans really have is to not show up to the games and deny the team the revenue. As an STH, there's really nothing I can do other than deny them the parking money and concession sales for the rest of the season.

We support the PLAYERS no matter what. we WANT hockey here. you do that and the canes will wave bye-bye to raleigh. why would you condemn your team for a move that hasnt even had a chance to play out yet. Maurice got us 2 southeast division crowns and to the 02 finals

I too remember reading that Francis said he wasn't interested in coaching in the past, maybe it was around the time he took the asst GM job. Maybe he said that out of respect to the coaches at that time. If he said he was interested in coaching, it may caused more commotion this time last year while the Canes were playing their worst hockey of the season. Or maybe he just changed his mind. I am a little confused about bringing Maurice back, but I seriously am almost more intrigued by Francis becoming a coach.

Still wondering what this all means for Rowe. And are all four coaches going to be on the bench?