The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Wow. As a frequent lurker and seldom poster on this board I just had to chime in.

It is truly unbelievable how foolish and naive most of you sound in your rants about Mo being back in Raleigh. Yes, I get that he had a couple of tough years here and that he has left a sour taste in your mouths. So much of that was not because of the coach but because of the mediocre players that he had to work with at the time. Let's face it, his last years here were comprised of some pretty bad players.

If he was such a "horrible" coach when he was fired, why in the world would the Toronto Maple Leafs - the most visible, scrutinized, and fan-fared hockey team in the world - even dare take a chance on him in bringing him in to run the baby Leafs to eventually replace Pat Quinn behind the most pressure-packed bench in the sport? Once given the job to replace Quinn, he was in an automatic lose-lose situation. Someone referred to the country-club atmosphere in Leafland, but it was so much more than that. The players in the "old-boys club" that was left over by Quinn would not give him a chance to succeed.

Mo is regarded around the league as one of the best hockey minds in the game. It's really amazing that he wasn't gobbled up by someone over the summer. The guy recognizes that the game has changed and that he can adjust his coaching style to succeed. For anyone who suggests that his clutch and grab and "boring" style is all he knows, I'm guessing, really hasn't a clue. He will bring and instill defensive responsibility - something that this team is so badly lacking over the past 14 months but at the same time will allow enough offensive freedom to make it fun to watch. He's not an idiot. He has under his reigns the most talented NHL team he has ever had. Let's watch him work with it.

Whether he's been here in the past or not, the guy knows how to coach. For the first time in his NHL career he has pieces to work with. Will it happen this week? Probably not, but give him a chance to work it out instead of being so quick to crucify him.

For any of you who are looking to firesale your tickets let me know.

That is one thing I am confused about also I thought for sure if Lavi was fired that Tom Rowe would be giving a chance to coach the team. Atleast for the rest of the season.

I can't read through 17 pages of this, so my opinion may be a repeat of somebody else's, so if I am stealing somebody's idea, I'm sorry in advance.

This team has been in a funk for over 2 years now. We, the fans, have been yelling for something to change. Well, here it is. It was a total shock to see Coach Mo come back, but what was really behind that? This seems to me like a Ronnie Franchise move. If J.R. goes to Ronnie and says what does this team need, maybe Ron says I can do it, but I need some help.

I've said all along (look back at my posts) that I thought December 1 would be a report card day. I just forgot to take into consideration that the organization wouldn't do this right before the "Skate with the Canes" event. This move may (or probably) has as much to do with ticket sales as it does X's and O's. I'm not saying that Mo is going to bring in more fans, but the bad publicity that the team was getting from its recent funk was hurting. The way revenue sharing works in the NHL, butts have to be in seats.

My last thought; I don't know what the mood of the locker room was or is now. I'm sure this is taken into consideration. If Lavi was losing the team, a change had to be made. You know, if a preacher stays at a church for a long time, his message sometimes starts to get a little stale. Was that Lavi's downfall?

For those of you saying "I'll support the team no matter what", then what exactly would JR have to do to lose your support?

How about Scott Stevens as coach? How about trading Corvo for Orpik? Trade Staal for Avery? How much abuse would you take?

Blindly supporting the team no matter what they do to us just invites more abuse. The only voice the fans really have is to not show up to the games and deny the team the revenue. As an STH, there's really nothing I can do other than deny them the parking money and concession sales for the rest of the season.

I got one. Make you in charge of logic. This post is so idiotic and I'm glad fans like you won't be in the building booing. I'd rather have a half full building of people supporting the team than a full building with half of it booing.

When I talk hockey with people I can quicly get an idea of how much they know about the game. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been going to hockey games for about 17 or 18 years now - considering I'm just 25, thats a lot of hockey.

Comments thinking we would trade Staal for Avery make me laugh and help me to know you really don't know what you are talking about with this team or hockey in general.

There are some great minds and great posters on this site, however, they are overshaddowed by comments like these.

I saw Laviolette's time coming to an end, but to bring back the previous, ineffective coach is beyond anything I could have imagined. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE FIRE GENERAL MANAGER, JIM RUTHERFORD. This is a horrible decision. Maurice wasn't right for the team before the lockout and he sure isn't the right coach after being fired by Toronto. I have nothing personal against Paul Maurice, but his style of coaching is much too defensive. There was a noticable increase in offensive play after Laviolette took over the coaching reins from Maurice. It's Laviolette's coaching that got us the Stanley Cup. I've been a full season ticket holder for several seasons. The 'Canes finally went on the positive side of the "goals for" vs. "goals against" ratio under Peter Laviolette. I don't think they managed that once during Maurice's reign as head coach in NC (not sure about this stat when the team was still in Hartford). I saw the 'Canes lose too many games under Paul Maurice because we had a 1 or 2 goal lead and then started playing a defensive trapping style of play and stopped putting pucks on the net (or even taking the puck into the offensive zone) - dump the puck and bring out a fresh line. Before long the other team would score goals and force OT or outright win in regulation when the 'Canes SHOULD have had it locked up as a win.

A change in the coaching staff was inevitable. The team has not lived up to their potential since winning the Cup in 2006. I think Laviolette should have had more "punishment" styled practices when the team started to falter - maybe that would have woken them up a little more. I just don't see how bringing back a former, INEFFECTIVE coach is going to help this team. Jim Rutherford has a really bad habit of bringing players (and now coaches) back and giving them another chance when he should just continue looking for someone else to fill a position. I bring up David Tanabe and Joseph Vasicek as additional examples. Neither did very much positive for the team and were eventually traded away. Yet Jim Rutherford brings them back again and they still don't make a positive impact on the teams play.

Most of the team seems to lack a good work ethic. It's there some days, but almost completely absent on others. Maybe salaries should be based on performance during the season. Chad LaRose is MORE than earning his relatively small salary while Eric Staal is being WAY OVERPAYED for his contributions this year. At Staal's current scoring rate, he won't even have 60 points at the end of the season this year - some super star!?!

I'm still upset about losing Erik Cole over the summer - another Jim Rutherford decision. I'm not upset with Joni Pitkanen's play, but I don't think he was worth losing an excellent power forward like Erik Cole. Cole is accident and injury prone, but so is most of our team - so it seems. Our biggest problem this year has been goal scoring, especially on the power play. It's been anemic at best. Erik Cole worked hard and scored some amazing goals in his time here in Carolina. Pitkanen is a very good defenseman, but he isn't a replacement for Erik Cole. We need more offensive punch!! Maurice isn't going to fix this with his defensive style of play.

Unless Rutherford is relieved of his General Manager duties, I foresee the Hurricanes leaving NC within the next ten years. I say this because he's not making any changes that are improving the Hurricanes. In this market (NC), unless the team is winning a good majority of their games (especially at home), you aren't going to sell tickets. Ticket sales and attendance has been dropping off again this season, and has dropped off overall since we won the Stanley Cup. How long will this be allowed to continue before the owner decides to move the franchise somewhere else? The Hurricanes need to win and continue to win if the franchise is going to prosper. If attendance keeps dropping, the team will not qualify for revenue sharing and Peter Karmonos is not going to let the franchise bled him dry in NC for too many more seasons.

I will likely continue to keep my season ticket (I love the game and I love the 'Canes), but I'm very disappointed in the teams' management decisions over the last three seasons. Rutherford has got to go.

I'll sum it up Dave.

-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Peter is the greatest coach ever. He's going to a new team and is going to dominate us now (coming from the same people who yesterday wanted him fired).

-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa we brought in a guy who the new assistant coach and the captain loves

-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Francis is going to be coach next year.

-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa this team is moving back to Hartford

-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa we are going to be so bad we are getting the first pick next year.

-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa JR is an idiot

It's been an entertaining day.

I'm reeeal glad to see all the sheep jumping off the cliff. Apparently those who will cheer the coach no matter who is behind the bench was NOT around from the early days of the 'Canes and has never PLAYED a game of hockey themselves behind a sucky coach and seen the damage it can to do a team.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE FIRE GENERAL MANAGER, JIM RUTHERFORD.

When has he EVER let you down?

Maybe salaries should be based on performance during the season.

Yeah, no player would sign that contract. Possibly as bonuses, but sorry. Some team would come right behind them and sign them.

I'm still upset about losing Erik Cole over the summer

Do you not understand how badly we needed a defensmen b/c Hedican and Wesley left? Would you want to see Babchuk on the ice EVERY SINGLE GAME? To get a quality defensemen, you gotta give up someone good. Unfortantly it was Cole. Get over it and think for 5 seconds about why this trade was made. You said it yourself, he is injury prone and I'll add he is very lazy when he doesn't have a big role in the game.

But I understand your point. He's have a GREAT year. 7 points in 23 games. What a disapointment we don't have him b/c a guy with 7 points in 23 games would be the great scoring solution! Meanwhile, as Babchuk played evey single game we suck defensively.......

Unless Rutherford is relieved of his General Manager duties, I foresee the Hurricanes leaving NC within the next ten years.

You see, there are these things called contracts....and they have one with the RBC Center. Not going to happen.

I will likely continue to keep my season ticket (I love the game and I love the 'Canes), but I'm very disappointed in the teams' management decisions over the last three seasons. Rutherford has got to go.

I can certainly understand your frustration. I think we all are. But every single thing this guy has done has turned to gold. Why oh why would you actually want to get rid of the guy b/c you don't agree with one decision he made. Mo hasn't even been the coach for 12 hours.....give the guy a chance.

Post like this make our fan base look idiotic. Please open your mind and just think!

I got one. Make you in charge of logic. This post is so idiotic and I'm glad fans like you won't be in the building booing. I'd rather have a half full building of people supporting the team than a full building with half of it booing.

When I talk hockey with people I can quicly get an idea of how much they know about the game. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been going to hockey games for about 17 or 18 years now - considering I'm just 25, thats a lot of hockey.

Comments thinking we would trade Staal for Avery make me laugh and help me to know you really don't know what you are talking about with this team or hockey in general.

There are some great minds and great posters on this site, however, they are overshaddowed by comments like these.

Please don't misquote me. I didn't say that we would make those trades or that they were even a possibility, I merely asked what kind of idiotic move would JR have to make to lose your support. The fact that people don't really realize how much of an unmitigated disaster this coaching pick is says a lot about things.

I've got no problem with letting Lavi go. I liked him and didn't think he was the problem, but obviously the message wasn't working. But bringing back Mo is a line I never thought they'd cross.

As for hockey experience, I'll put mine up against most. I started playing hockey in 1972. I've had a teammate that is now in the hall of fame, and personally know 2 other people with their names on the big wall. I've coached both kids and adults, I currently play as an adult, and I remember cheering when Bobby Hull got his 50th.

For those of you saying "I'll support the team no matter what", then what exactly would JR have to do to lose your support?

How about Scott Stevens as coach? How about trading Corvo for Orpik? Trade Staal for Avery? How much abuse would you take?

Blindly supporting the team no matter what they do to us just invites more abuse. The only voice the fans really have is to not show up to the games and deny the team the revenue. As an STH, there's really nothing I can do other than deny them the parking money and concession sales for the rest of the season.

I would actually trade Corvo for Orpik if the money was the same.

Well, we all wanted a change with this team and we got it.

I won't make judgment until I see what Mo and Francis can do with this team.

I saw Laviolette's time coming to an end, but to bring back the previous, ineffective coach is beyond anything I could have imagined. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE FIRE GENERAL MANAGER, JIM RUTHERFORD. This is a horrible decision. Maurice wasn't right for the team before the lockout and he sure isn't the right coach after being fired by Toronto. I have nothing personal against Paul Maurice, but his style of coaching is much too defensive. There was a noticable increase in offensive play after Laviolette took over the coaching reins from Maurice. It's Laviolette's coaching that got us the Stanley Cup. I've been a full season ticket holder for several seasons. The 'Canes finally went on the positive side of the "goals for" vs. "goals against" ratio under Peter Laviolette. I don't think they managed that once during Maurice's reign as head coach in NC (not sure about this stat when the team was still in Hartford). I saw the 'Canes lose too many games under Paul Maurice because we had a 1 or 2 goal lead and then started playing a defensive trapping style of play and stopped putting pucks on the net (or even taking the puck into the offensive zone) - dump the puck and bring out a fresh line. Before long the other team would score goals and force OT or outright win in regulation when the 'Canes SHOULD have had it locked up as a win.

A change in the coaching staff was inevitable. The team has not lived up to their potential since winning the Cup in 2006. I think Laviolette should have had more "punishment" styled practices when the team started to falter - maybe that would have woken them up a little more. I just don't see how bringing back a former, INEFFECTIVE coach is going to help this team. Jim Rutherford has a really bad habit of bringing players (and now coaches) back and giving them another chance when he should just continue looking for someone else to fill a position. I bring up David Tanabe and Joseph Vasicek as additional examples. Neither did very much positive for the team and were eventually traded away. Yet Jim Rutherford brings them back again and they still don't make a positive impact on the teams play.

Most of the team seems to lack a good work ethic. It's there some days, but almost completely absent on others. Maybe salaries should be based on performance during the season. Chad LaRose is MORE than earning his relatively small salary while Eric Staal is being WAY OVERPAYED for his contributions this year. At Staal's current scoring rate, he won't even have 60 points at the end of the season this year - some super star!?!

I'm still upset about losing Erik Cole over the summer - another Jim Rutherford decision. I'm not upset with Joni Pitkanen's play, but I don't think he was worth losing an excellent power forward like Erik Cole. Cole is accident and injury prone, but so is most of our team - so it seems. Our biggest problem this year has been goal scoring, especially on the power play. It's been anemic at best. Erik Cole worked hard and scored some amazing goals in his time here in Carolina. Pitkanen is a very good defenseman, but he isn't a replacement for Erik Cole. We need more offensive punch!! Maurice isn't going to fix this with his defensive style of play.

Unless Rutherford is relieved of his General Manager duties, I foresee the Hurricanes leaving NC within the next ten years. I say this because he's not making any changes that are improving the Hurricanes. In this market (NC), unless the team is winning a good majority of their games (especially at home), you aren't going to sell tickets. Ticket sales and attendance has been dropping off again this season, and has dropped off overall since we won the Stanley Cup. How long will this be allowed to continue before the owner decides to move the franchise somewhere else? The Hurricanes need to win and continue to win if the franchise is going to prosper. If attendance keeps dropping, the team will not qualify for revenue sharing and Peter Karmonos is not going to let the franchise bled him dry in NC for too many more seasons.

Fans that go to tomorrow night's game shouldnt be booing Maurice...he only accepted the position he was offered. If you feel you need to boo somone boo Rutherford for his decision.

Do you not understand how badly we needed a defensmen b/c Hedican and Wesley left? Would you want to see Babchuk on the ice EVERY SINGLE GAME? To get a quality defensemen

I'm still waiting to see this "quality" you speak of. For a $4M guy he hasn't done much.

I can certainly understand your frustration. I think we all are. But every single thing this guy has done has turned to gold. Why oh why would you actually want to get rid of the guy b/c you don't agree with one decision he made. Mo hasn't even been the coach for 12 hours.....give the guy a chance.

Post like this make our fan base look idiotic. Please open your mind and just think!

I love how anybody that disagrees with JR is an "idiot." The guy has been given a chance already. Now he's being given ANOTHER one. And WE are the ones that will end up suffering because of it.

I too can't get through 17 pages, so if topics have already been discussed-Sorry.

I was not able to go to the "Skating With the Canes" event last night due to work and I understand this is why they waited until today to announce this. Was Lavi at this event last night? If not did anyone wonder where he was?

I too would rather had Torts than Maurice as a coach if we had to have one. Francis is not the assistant coach he is "Associate Head Coach" and Jason Karmonas will step back in as Assistant GM.

The logical thing would have been to put Rowe in as head coach with Francis and either McCarthy or Wesley as assistants. This just does not make any sense to rehire Mo.

As they say we should have been careful what we wished for with Lavi being gone.

Of course I as a full STH will give Mo another chance and support him and the team until he gives me a reason not to. It will be difficult, but I will do it.

Wow. As a frequent lurker and seldom poster on this board I just had to chime in.

It is truly unbelievable how foolish and naive most of you sound in your rants about Mo being back in Raleigh. Yes, I get that he had a couple of tough years here and that he has left a sour taste in your mouths. So much of that was not because of the coach but because of the mediocre players that he had to work with at the time. Let's face it, his last years here were comprised of some pretty bad players.

If he was such a "horrible" coach when he was fired, why in the world would the Toronto Maple Leafs - the most visible, scrutinized, and fan-fared hockey team in the world - even dare take a chance on him in bringing him in to run the baby Leafs to eventually replace Pat Quinn behind the most pressure-packed bench in the sport? Once given the job to replace Quinn, he was in an automatic lose-lose situation. Someone referred to the country-club atmosphere in Leafland, but it was so much more than that. The players in the "old-boys club" that was left over by Quinn would not give him a chance to succeed.

Mo is regarded around the league as one of the best hockey minds in the game. It's really amazing that he wasn't gobbled up by someone over the summer. The guy recognizes that the game has changed and that he can adjust his coaching style to succeed. For anyone who suggests that his clutch and grab and "boring" style is all he knows, I'm guessing, really hasn't a clue. He will bring and instill defensive responsibility - something that this team is so badly lacking over the past 14 months but at the same time will allow enough offensive freedom to make it fun to watch. He's not an idiot. He has under his reigns the most talented NHL team he has ever had. Let's watch him work with it.

Whether he's been here in the past or not, the guy knows how to coach. For the first time in his NHL career he has pieces to work with. Will it happen this week? Probably not, but give him a chance to work it out instead of being so quick to crucify him.

For any of you who are looking to firesale your tickets let me know.

it was more than a couple of tough years!! Mo was with the team 8+ years during which we went to the playoffs twice and SCF once. his last two seasons were excruciatingly painful to watch. Instead of playing to win every game we played not to lose in regulation.

Well, we all wanted a change with this team and we got it.

I won't make judgment until I see what Mo and Francis can do with this team.

don't set the bar too high!

we need a new slogan. Our Team, Our Tradition doesnt seem to fit anymore. how about Our Team, the Revolving Door for Players and Coaches?

Very Funny...add "I'll Be Back"

we need a new slogan. Our Team, Our Tradition doesnt seem to fit anymore. how about Our Team, the Revolving Door for Players and Coaches?

Very Funny...add "I'll Be Back"

I love how anybody that disagrees with JR is an "idiot." The guy has been given a chance already. Now he's being given ANOTHER one. And WE are the ones that will end up suffering because of it.

I've said I didn't think was a very good move. I'm like most, I don't understand it.

However, one thing I do understand is that JR is right most of the time and I trust him. How anyone can dismiss what JR has done for this franchise by consistently making the correct move over and over b/c of one decision that hasn't even had a chance to pan out is beyond me.

I think this will be the first really bad move JR has made but even so, 9 out of 10 times, he is spot on. Give the guy some credit. Most pro sports teams would love to have a guy that is right 9 out of 10 times.

Let me name some examples....

- Rod Brind'amor for Keith Premeau

- Justin Williams for Danny Markov

- Making the right move in bringing in Weight and Recchi as Rentals in 05

- Drafting Cam Ward

- Drafting Brandon Sutter when Alexi Cherapanov was available (yeah that kid that just died - and I remember thinking how could you not draft Cherapanov - well.....JR was right, I was wrong)

- Tuumo Ruutu for Andrew Ladd

- Samsonov off Waivers

- Dennis Siedenberg for Kevyn Adams

I can't think of ONE really bad deal or thing this guy has done. How can people NOT see this stuff?

Wow, so much to address and so little time...

To all the brainiac caniacs who think they are in charge of who are true fans and who aren't, stick a sock in it. We all want the team to win, why else would we be fans or be here writing and reading? Having an opinion contrary to yours doesn't make it any less valid, and it doesn't make you look intelligent either to point out your opinion that others are making unintelligent comments.

My opinion: I have been a staunch JR supporter in the past and there is plenty of evidence to this out here on the forums. This season, I have been reversing my opinion. I honestly gave the Erik Cole thing 20 games with NO COMMENT to try and really observe, and think about the move. This isn't the thread for it, but I'll eventually lay out my case on why it was a very bad move.

Now this move happens, and I am dumbfounded. There is more involved here than winning and losing. There is excitement vs. boredom. I was never happier than those first 2 weeks when Lav took over, and we saw we were finally getting a coach that brought exciting aggressive hockey to Carolina. If I wanted to watch Devils style hockey, first I'd shoot myself, then if I had the accuracy of Babchuk, I'd still be alive and buy Center Ice and watch it from home. I simply am not interested in watching us play "The System" anymore. Welcome back, 5 guys back hockey. And to those who point out he plans to keep the current style, we all know that changes if we keep losing.

Hiring Maurice is not going to make Brindy faster (sorry Brindy, not your fault, stupid injury), its not going to give Staal the linemate he needs to open up the ice, its not going to make our team bigger. I am one of the people afraid of where Lav will end up, I never wanted him fired. He's going to make another team very happy.

I don't hate Mo, I've been a STH since they moved here, been to a lot of games coached by him. I'm just bored to tears by him, I've been there, done that. Gimme something to excite me. I'm supposed to be entertained, not put to sleep. And that doesn't make me any less of a fan. I'm entitled to hate this move.

Fans that go to tomorrow night's game shouldnt be booing Maurice...he only accepted the position he was offered. If you feel you need to boo somone boo Rutherford for his decision.

I never said I would boo Maurice. Where did that come from?

I don't like Maurice's coaching style and think a better choice could have been made, but I won't be booing the coach or the players unless play during the game dictates that response (no shots on goal during a 5 on 3 power play opportunity, extremely lack luster play, defensive turnovers that lead to immediate goals against, etc.) I try to be very supportive of the team, but some decisions make no sense to me.

I agree, this stinks on so many levels. I understand the business side of hockey and when a team ain't performing you have two options, 1) trade all 20 guys for another set of 20 guys or 2) fire the coach/GM. Bringing back Mo just goes to prove I wasted my money on 7 seats and should have invested it elsewhere.

I guess next thing they will do is announce a move to Winnipeg mid season!!

A move to winnipeg would be great :D ......... since i live there lol

Wow, so much to address and so little time...

To all the brainiac caniacs who think they are in charge of who are true fans and who aren't, stick a sock in it. We all want the team to win, why else would we be fans or be here writing and reading? Having an opinion contrary to yours doesn't make it any less valid, and it doesn't make you look intelligent either to point out your opinion that others are making unintelligent comments.

My opinion: I have been a staunch JR supporter in the past and there is plenty of evidence to this out here on the forums. This season, I have been reversing my opinion. I honestly gave the Erik Cole thing 20 games with NO COMMENT to try and really observe, and think about the move. This isn't the thread for it, but I'll eventually lay out my case on why it was a very bad move.

Now this move happens, and I am dumbfounded. There is more involved here than winning and losing. There is excitement vs. boredom. I was never happier than those first 2 weeks when Lav took over, and we saw we were finally getting a coach that brought exciting aggressive hockey to Carolina. If I wanted to watch Devils style hockey, first I'd shoot myself, then if I had the accuracy of Babchuk, I'd still be alive and buy Center Ice and watch it from home. I simply am not interested in watching us play "The System" anymore. Welcome back, 5 guys back hockey. And to those who point out he plans to keep the current style, we all know that changes if we keep losing.

Hiring Maurice is not going to make Brindy faster (sorry Brindy, not your fault, stupid injury), its not going to give Staal the linemate he needs to open up the ice, its not going to make our team bigger. I am one of the people afraid of where Lav will end up, I never wanted him fired. He's going to make another team very happy.

I don't hate Mo, I've been a STH since they moved here, been to a lot of games coached by him. I'm just bored to tears by him, I've been there, done that. Gimme something to excite me. I'm supposed to be entertained, not put to sleep. And that doesn't make me any less of a fan. I'm entitled to hate this move.

Great post and agreed on all counts.

I do not want to see paint dry hockey. I will support the Canes and Hope they win

but right now my expectations have been lowered a lot after today.

I just laugh at all the people hating on JR for this move when 3 years ago he was the greatest human being of all time.

And 100% of the people who read and post here couldn't do what he does for a living and keep a job more than 2 - 3 years.

It's amazing that people watch one team for 3 - 5 years and now know more than a guy who has been involved in hockey his whole life.

The main issue we have with our fans here is most people are Hurricanes fans before they are hockey fans. I am a hockey fan first. I just happen to follow the Canes (b/c I live here) more than any other team.

This leads to lack of general hockey knowledge. It's not anyones fault, just the fault of being raised in the south.