The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

I got one. Make you in charge of logic. This post is so idiotic and I'm glad fans like you won't be in the building booing. I'd rather have a half full building of people supporting the team than a full building with half of it booing.

When I talk hockey with people I can quicly get an idea of how much they know about the game. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been going to hockey games for about 17 or 18 years now - considering I'm just 25, thats a lot of hockey.

Comments thinking we would trade Staal for Avery make me laugh and help me to know you really don't know what you are talking about with this team or hockey in general.

There are some great minds and great posters on this site, however, they are overshaddowed by comments like these.

Yes, this post IS idiotic. I'm not drinking your koolaid.

I would actually trade Corvo for Orpik if the money was the same.

Yes, I'd give that trade a look, too. I saw how well Orpik played in the playoffs last year and was pleasantly surprised.

I've said I didn't think was a very good move. I'm like most, I don't understand it.

However, one thing I do understand is that JR is right most of the time and I trust him. How anyone can dismiss what JR has done for this franchise by consistently making the correct move over and over b/c of one decision that hasn't even had a chance to pan out is beyond me.

I think this will be the first really bad move JR has made but even so, 9 out of 10 times, he is spot on. Give the guy some credit. Most pro sports teams would love to have a guy that is right 9 out of 10 times.

Let me name some examples....

- Rod Brind'amor for Keith Premeau

- Justin Williams for Danny Markov

- Making the right move in bringing in Weight and Recchi as Rentals in 05

- Drafting Cam Ward

- Drafting Brandon Sutter when Alexi Cherapanov was available (yeah that kid that just died - and I remember thinking how could you not draft Cherapanov - well.....JR was right, I was wrong)

- Tuumo Ruutu for Andrew Ladd

- Samsonov off Waivers

- Dennis Siedenberg for Kevyn Adams

I can't think of ONE really bad deal or thing this guy has done. How can people NOT see this stuff?

Sandis

Vasicek x2

Not resigning Cullen in 06

Not resigning Ward in '06

Not resigning Gerber, or any quality backup

Giving Brind'Amour a 5yr $15 mil deal

Dealing Pronger for Shanny who only stayed a year

How can you be such a cheerleader? JR does a good job given the money crunch down here. But, he is no saint. He is quoted as saying that he still would have picked Fleury over Staal, if Fleury was available as the second pick and Staal hadn't been taken as #1.

I don't think a goalie should ever be a GM. Their glasses are forever tinted. Just look at the Islanders.... a back up goalie, now GM, signed DiPetro to a horrible contract. Idiotic.

The main issue we have with our fans here is most people are Hurricanes fans before they are hockey fans. I am a hockey fan first. I just happen to follow the Canes (b/c I live here) more than any other team.

This leads to lack of general hockey knowledge. It's not anyones fault, just the fault of being raised in the south.

Ah, I knew it would come out sooner or later. When all else fails, pull out the "ignorant southern fans" blast. Bravo!

Sandis

Vasicek x2

Not resigning Cullen in 06

Not resigning Ward in '06

Not resigning Gerber, or any quality backup

Giving Brind'Amour a 5yr $15 mil deal

Dealing Pronger for Shanny who only stayed a year

- Sandis wasn't that bad. That team he played on lacked offensive defensmen. This is why he was kept.

- Vasicek was dealt for Walker. Why he was resigned, I'm not sure. I wasn't a big fan of re-signing him, but it wasn't awful. I do agree, he was terrible, especially in the new NHL. When he was drafted it was the old NHL and players like him were golden. He led the team in scoring one year....

- Not resigning those two after the Cup was thier choice. The Rangers offered them more money. We couldn't match those guys and stay far enough below Cap so if we needed to make a move we could.

- Gerber was the same situation. Cam proved to be the number 1 and Gerber was not going to be backup. Grahme was a bust but this guy did win a cup in net, so I actually like that signing. Gerber wasn't sticking around.

- Brindy is the Captain and up till this year, has never had a bad year in Carolina. The guy is in the best shape of anyone in the NHL

- Pronger would have left as soon as his deal was up for bigger money. That was a move to try to get someone here instead of just losing a guy to free agency. If you know a guy is leaving, trade him. At least you get something for him then.

Anything else?

I can't think of ONE really bad deal or thing this guy has done. How can people NOT see this stuff?

JR has been pretty good on trades I'll admit, but it hasn't been all magic:

Sami Kapanen for Pavel Brendl and Bruno St. Jacques. Sami fell apart under Mo, imagine what he would have been under Lavi. He become a Flyer favorite. Neither Brendl or St. Jacques worked out for us.

Radim Vrbata for future considerations. Playing pretty well these days for Tampa.

And let's not forget it was JR that sent Pronger to St Louis for Shanahan to then send to Detroit for Primeau.

And BTW, he hung on to Mo quite a bit longer than he should have last time around.

I just thought of something, this can't possibly be true because it isn't on Eklunds site and rated an (e5).

I will give you that. Sami would have been great under Laviolette, but you can't say that now. No way of knowing when we dealt him that would be the case.

Yeah, Radim Vrbata has turned to be a player. I think we all saw that in him, too.

The Pronger thing isn't that great of an example b/c of what I mentioned above.

These are 2 good examples of blunders on his part. However, I wouldn't call them really bad. You have to look at the deal at the time to get a really good idea of why it was done.

No one is going to be right every single time. But most of the time JR has been right.

this seems like one extreme to another, in my mind Laviolette was a more laid-back coach who let the guys somewhat free, and Maurice seems like all work and no play.. i'm wondering how these guys will want to play if the environment changes and there's no "fun" involved.

I just laugh at all the people hating on JR for this move when 3 years ago he was the greatest human being of all time.

And 100% of the people who read and post here couldn't do what he does for a living and keep a job more than 2 - 3 years.

It's amazing that people watch one team for 3 - 5 years and now know more than a guy who has been involved in hockey his whole life.

The main issue we have with our fans here is most people are Hurricanes fans before they are hockey fans. I am a hockey fan first. I just happen to follow the Canes (b/c I live here) more than any other team.

This leads to lack of general hockey knowledge. It's not anyones fault, just the fault of being raised in the south.

btw I have watched hockey since 1979 and do not live in NC so I think I qualify as a "TRUE HOCKEY FAN"

and I do not have a lack of general hockey knowledge just because I dont blidly follow the gms move here

we cant we be puzzled by this move? sure JR has done some good but also some bad as well.

I will root for the Canes but am still baffled by this and have lower expections now.

I mean are people really not reading what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is yes, I am puzzled by this move. I don't agree with it. I don't like Mo. I think we should have found someone else.

What I've been saying is that I trust JR b/c of his track record.

EVERYONE TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX! lavi is gone. theres no use crying over it now. Mo is now our head coach again and REGARDLESS OF THE PAST, we have to support him and the team and hope that it works out. you cant sit there and say "THERE WERE BETTER CHOICES!" yes there may have been other names out there but you dont know their situations or what went on. JR could have contacted others, we'll never know. but what i DO KNOW is that we have a new head coach, albeit one we've had in the past that has gotten us to the STF before. bottom line is: what we had wasnt working and hasnt worked for 2 seasons of missed playoffs. People have figured out how to combat lavi's system and its time for a change. maybe we should of made obama the head coach

- Sandis wasn't that bad. That team he played on lacked offensive defensmen. This is why he was kept. No, that's why he was signed in the first place. What he lacked was game to game discipline. 2 bouts of rehab still didn't do anything for him.-

Vasicek was dealt for Walker. Why he was resigned, I'm not sure. Could it have been a bad move by JR??? I think so. I wasn't a big fan of re-signing him, but it wasn't awful. Yes it was I do agree, he was terrible, especially in the new NHL. When he was drafted it was the old NHL and players like him were golden. He led the team in scoring one year....

-Not resigning those two after the Cup was thier choice. The Rangers offered them more money. We couldn't match those guys and stay far enough below Cap so if we needed to make a move we could.

Possibly not shelling out the $15 mil to Rod would have created enough cash to allow for their larger contract. Besides, we ended up paying Cullen basically the same as if we would have kept him when he came back. JR admitted that he misplayed that deal

- Gerber was the same situation. Cam proved to be the number 1 and Gerber was not going to be backup. Grahme was a bust but this guy did win a cup in net He was the backup, played one playoff game, so I actually like that signing. Gerber wasn't sticking around.

- Brindy is the Captain and up till this year, has never had a bad year in Carolina. The guy is in the best shape of anyone in the NHL [b]Not this year, he has no legs and his faceoff % is way down. His ice time is down. [/b]-

Pronger would have left as soon as his deal was up for bigger money. That was a move to try to get someone here instead of just losing a guy to free agency. If you know a guy is leaving, trade him. At least you get something for him then. Again, this organIzation is loathe to pay the bucks to the young talent, Staal notwithstanding...actually did that right.

Anything else? Nope, said my peace.

I mean he was fired in 2003 for a reason. Guess when Mo doesn't produce we can always get lavi back in a year or so.

Also, not sure if I read it right but did they say that the Leafs are paying his salary for the year. I really hope this wasn't a move just so they could shake it up with out spending money.

Gerber was NOT the backup. Are you SERIOUS??

He set the franchise record for wins that year and started the first two playoff games.

How many backups set the franchise record for wins?!?

*Ahhh I'm pulling my hair out*

You had such great points and then, that gem completly ruined them all for me.

I mean he was fired in 2003 for a reason. Guess when Mo doesn't produce we can always get lavi back in a year or so.

Also, not sure if I read it right but did they say that the Leafs are paying his salary for the year. I really hope this wasn't a move just so they could shake it up with out spending money.

No cause were still paying Lavi until his contract is up

Hope again shattered...Lucy again pulls the ball from Charlie Brown. Cruel, cruel in so many ways. We are cheap. Everyone knows it. It the WalMart mentality run amouk.

And Gerber played in 4 seperate playoff games (including a shutout win against Buffalo) not 1

I'm talking about Crackers. You said he won a cup.....sure, as a backup that only played in one game.

- Gerber was the same situation. Cam proved to be the number 1 and Gerber was not going to be backup. Grahme was a bust but this guy did win a cup in net, so I actually like that signing.

See?