The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

First of all, I am a Canes fan regardless of who is behind the bench or on the ice. I hate to see Lavi go, but this team was not playing for him so something had to be done. I thought Lavi replaced a classy individual when he replaced Mo. Mo had a tough time towards the end, but his teams usually worked hard. There has been a lot said about his boring style, but if he can get these guys workink and produce some wins, I'll bet there will be few comments about boring play. Winning cures everything! Thanks Lavi! Good luck Mo!

Looks like the Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows Brigade is alive and well, and STILL putting a finger in each ear and saying "LaLaLaLaLaLa..."

Okay, I just realized the purpose of bringing Mo back. Follow my steps here...

1. Rutherford decides change must be made.

2. Rutherford knows that coaching change may not be the answer, but that it is easier than replacing 25 players.

3. Rutherford knows that Francis is the guy he wants behind the bench.

4. Ronnie isn't sure that coaching is for him.

5. Rutherford cuts deal with Francis, giving him actual control of the team.

6. Rutherford brings back "friend" Maurice to be figurehead coach.

There are four possible scenarios from here:

The team wins and Francis likes coaching: Maurice looks like a savior, JR gives his friend a great referral to another club, and Francis steps into the catbird's seat.

The team loses and Francis likes coaching: Maurice gets the quick exit and Francis slides in the the head spot.

The team wins and Francis doesn't want to coach: Maurice has led the turnaround and stays on as head man with much goodwill. Francis returns to GM duties.

The team loses and Francis doesn't want to coach: Mo gets the door (and here's the key, Rutherford doesn't have to commit fanbase suicide by firing our Hall of Famer), Francis goes back to the press box, and we start fresh next season.

Looks like the Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows Brigade is alive and well, and STILL putting a finger in each ear and saying "LaLaLaLaLaLa..."

You could not have said it better....priceless!

No I didn't. I said the guy who was brought in as a backup had won a cup. John Grahme.

To say Grahame was a guy that won a cup in net is like saying that Bryzgalov won a cup for Anaheim. Not so.

Here's your quote:- Gerber was the same situation. Cam proved to be the number 1 and Gerber was not going to be backup. Grahame was a bust but this guy did win a cup in net, so I actually like that signing. Gerber wasn't sticking around.

Your quote said nothing of Grahame being a backup. Grahame played one playoff game for Tampa. Kind of like saying Andrew Hutchinson won a cup. No, he didn't, even tho his name is on it.

Ding! We have a winner! Thank you.

At this rate, I may move back home to Chicago. I hear they have a hockey team now.

I'm so confused with this: why not Tom Rowe? What in the hell was he brought here for? Was he not supposed to keep Lavi on his toes and make it known to him that he was in the way if he screwed up? Instead, I find out at 3:54 pm that we have re-hired a guy that looks and sounds like a serial killer?? It just stinks, this whole thing stinks.

Hate to see ya go Lavi...... Better luck elsewhere pal. Thanks for the Cup in 06!

I dont think firing Laviollete was the right choice, but its happened and we have to deal with it. So im looking forward to seeing how the team reacts to this and hopefully it will be positive. I don't think any good is coming out of complaining about Maurice...

The sorry fact of the matter is that Lavi isn't losing games out there. Staal is inconsistent, Rod has lost a step (as evidenced by one of the worst in the league +/- ratios), and Ward is just an average goalie with moments of brilliance.

Karmonos has given JR a budget that lies somewhere in the $8m - $9m under the NHL salary cap, and so we consistently have a team that does not have the star power of the elite teams in the league. I agree that it's a team sport, but the Canes are severely lacking players who can take over a game on a consistent basis. We don't have an Ovechkin, Crosby, Datsyuk, etc. And probably never will if JR continues to be handicapped by a budget that is well below the ceiling.

Lavi did a great job with this team initially, and frankly I think we lucked into our Cup a little bit... having the other top seeds in our conference lose in the playoffs, then getting the upstart 8th seeded Oilers in the Finals really helped our chances, and I'm glad we grabbed those chances and won the Cup. But I think a lot of that Cup run was led by circumstance. A lot of guys had what I would consider to be career years that season... and unfortunately haven't proven that they can consistently perform at that level (even Staal and Ward).

Hiring Maurice is a step backwards. Why hire someone who has a losing record, who led the Leafs to such a horrible position in the East the last couple years? It's a baffling move.

The Canes are barely holding onto the 8th spot in the East. They really don't have the guns to run with the Caps, now that Ovechkin and Semin are both firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately, the Canes are an average team, not a great team, not a lousy team. Even lousy teams have the promise of getting better by getting high draft picks. We don't even have that. We'll be stuck in mediocrity for a while, and Maurice isn't some magic pill that will help cure what ails us. Karmanos needs to open the wallet and let JR get some better players in here.

Relax everyone. This has been a crazy day and we know people need to vent, share concerns and post their opinions. Just be respectful to each other and let everyone have their say.

The sorry fact of the matter is that Lavi isn't losing games out there. Staal is inconsistent, Rod has lost a step (as evidenced by one of the worst in the league +/- ratios), and Ward is just an average goalie with moments of brilliance.

Karmonos has given JR a budget that lies somewhere in the $8m - $9m under the NHL salary cap, and so we consistently have a team that does not have the star power of the elite teams in the league. I agree that it's a team sport, but the Canes are severely lacking players who can take over a game on a consistent basis. We don't have an Ovechkin, Crosby, Datsyuk, etc. And probably never will if JR continues to be handicapped by a budget that is well below the ceiling.

Lavi did a great job with this team initially, and frankly I think we lucked into our Cup a little bit... having the other top seeds in our conference lose in the playoffs, then getting the upstart 8th seeded Oilers in the Finals really helped our chances, and I'm glad we grabbed those chances and won the Cup. But I think a lot of that Cup run was led by circumstance. A lot of guys had what I would consider to be career years that season... and unfortunately haven't proven that they can consistently perform at that level (even Staal and Ward).

Hiring Maurice is a step backwards. Why hire someone who has a losing record, who led the Leafs to such a horrible position in the East the last couple years? It's a baffling move.

The Canes are barely holding onto the 8th spot in the East. They really don't have the guns to run with the Caps, now that Ovechkin and Semin are both firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately, the Canes are an average team, not a great team, not a lousy team. Even lousy teams have the promise of getting better by getting high draft picks. We don't even have that. We'll be stuck in mediocrity for a while, and Maurice isn't some magic pill that will help cure what ails us. Karmanos needs to open the wallet and let JR get some better players in here.

We have a team, they just seem to have lost "a set" along the way!! They just need new ones!! LOL

NHL coaches come and go. There are probably about 40-50 guys who will alwasy be on someone's team or someone's radar as a coach. Maurice is one of them. He's good enough to be a NHL coach. Coaches lose favor after a few years, new players come in, team dynamic changes, etc. Ron Wilson had what, 3 100-point seasons in SJ? Now he's gone from there coaching in TOR and they stink. Is he all of a sudden a bad coach? No.

Give Maurice a chance. Cause if it wasn't him it'd be someone else on the list of 40-50 that just as many of us would have the same number of complaints about.

Let me make sure i have this right! We fire Maurice, we hire Peter L, the Leafs Hire and Fire Maurice, and we hire him again after we fire Peter L? It is time for Canes Management to step up and take responsibility! This is Rutherfords team that he has put together. When is somebody going to knock on his door? When the seats are empty? Maybe he will go to congress and ask for help. I know it is cheaper to fire the coach than it is to fire the players who don't really understand that they have a contract and an obligation to give their all when they hit the ice. They don't even bother to stop and sign autographs for the fans anymore except for a couple of them. So much for community involvement and fan appreciation

Maurice is a loser and is not what we need here! Where is Daniels,Put Francis out there, put Barrasco out there.Rutherford couldn't do better than this? Put him out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of the CONTRACT WITH THE FANS bull they pulled a few years back. If they keep this loser my 4 season tickets are done after this year and I will go to see my other team when they come to town. GO Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say Grahame was a guy that won a cup in net is like saying that Bryzgalov won a cup for Anaheim. Not so.

Here's your quote:- Gerber was the same situation. Cam proved to be the number 1 and Gerber was not going to be backup. Grahame was a bust but this guy did win a cup in net, so I actually like that signing. Gerber wasn't sticking around.

Your quote said nothing of Grahame being a backup. Grahame played one playoff game for Tampa. Kind of like saying Andrew Hutchinson won a cup. No, he didn't, even tho his name is on it.

I forgot Grahme was not the Starter for Tampa that year. That was my mistake. Sorry about that.

However, that still doesn't change the fact the Gerber wanted to leave b/c he wanted to be a number 1 and he knew at best he would be splitting time 50 / 50 with Cam.

There are four possible scenarios from here:

The team wins and Francis likes coaching: Maurice looks like a savior, JR gives his friend a great referral to another club, and Francis steps into the catbird's seat.

The team loses and Francis likes coaching: Maurice gets the quick exit and Francis slides in the the head spot.

The team wins and Francis doesn't want to coach: Maurice has led the turnaround and stays on as head man with much goodwill. Francis returns to GM duties.

The team loses and Francis doesn't want to coach: Mo gets the door (and here's the key, Rutherford doesn't have to commit fanbase suicide by firing our Hall of Famer), Francis goes back to the press box, and we start fresh next season.

Great points.

I don't see a negative in any of this.

do you have something that supports your statement about his budget? I don't remember seeing that before.

While not completely surprised at Lavi's firing, though I am not sure it was completely justified, I am completely flabbergasted by Maurice's hiring. For the past two years I have seen JR pull a number of head scratchers o far as trades go, things I did not understand. But this is the first time I have responded, "JR, have you completely lost your d--n mind!" This makes absolutely no sense. I hope this does not sound the death knell for NHL hockey in NC. All the fair weather fans who have threatened to transfer their support to other teams have to realize the Canes are the only game in town if they want to see NHL hockey. Team fortunes are like the economy, they go in cycles, and right now were are in a down cycle. True fans have to ride out the storm and hope for better days, which will come in time.

Note to PK, instead of the coaching position, maybe it is time to give serious consideration to the GM slot. Just a thought.

I'm not furious that Laviolette was fired, I knew that if the team didn't pick their play up and start winning that it would happen, even if it wasn't his fault. However, I am really disappointed in the decision on the new coach. There were many better qualified people who could coach this team. I was shocked when I saw Maurice was picked as the new Head Coach. I'm going to be open minded and keep my thoughts of Maurice on hold for now because this may jump-start the team and cause good fortune, but I am disappointed in JR for not going and getting someone new.

Wouldn't be surprised if a trade followed this up if we continue to lose.

EDIT: Is Francis still Assistant GM? Has he given up his job for good? And if he isn't Assistant GM anymore, who is?

I'm not furious that Laviolette was fired, I knew that if the team didn't pick their play up and start winning that it would happen, even if it wasn't his fault. However, I am really disappointed in the decision on the new coach. There were many better qualified people who could coach this team. I was shocked when I saw Maurice was picked as the new Head Coach. I'm going to be open minded and keep my thoughts of Maurice on hold for now because this may jump-start the team and cause good fortune, but I am disappointed in JR for not going and getting someone new.

Wouldn't be surprised if a trade followed this up if we continue to lose.

Exactly how I feel.

TANK '08-'09!

Mo just gave an interview on Espo's XM show. Interesting interview. Espo asked about injuries. Mo said that Williams will likely play on Thursday and then rattled off all the players that are injured.

Rossi said, "Wow! Only 6 hours on the job and you've got everything down on the status."

Maurice said, "Yes, you take notice of the injuries," then quipped something like, "and we've got Pittsburgh tomorrow, then Philly, then Washington, so it should be an easy stretch." :)

it was more than a couple of tough years!! Mo was with the team 8+ years during which we went to the playoffs twice and SCF once. his last two seasons were excruciatingly painful to watch. Instead of playing to win every game we played not to lose in regulation.

That's three years that he took a below average NHL team to the playoffs, once to the finals. Again, the guy knows how to coach. His first few years were trying to figure out what to do with a garbage team, where he had very little to work with, and still managed to win 30+ games. Toe Blake wouldn't have gotten those teams to the playoffs. JR knows what he's doing, and knows where and when blame should be placed. Of course he wasn't going to load up on salary in the Greensboro days. The year after the Cup appearance that was so painful to watch was with a bunch of overpaid AHLers save for a few guys who were either never fully recovered from the playoff run (Ronnie, Brindy, Wes, etc), headcases, or guys who just didn't fit. Again, not Mo's fault. I watched his last season-and-a-half as well and, yes, it was painful to watch, but it sure wasn't for the lack of coaching that those teams were as bad as they were. The players that mattered were the first to admit responsibility for his firing. There's a reason why only a little more than half of the starting '03/04 roster are still getting NHL paychecks.

Again, everyone, give him a chance to work with the most talented NHL team he has ever had. He's not going to go to a style that is unbearable to watch i.e. clutch and grab defense first. Us dumb internet fan board posters who are self-proclaimed hockey experts know that it doesn't work in the "new" NHL, so you can damn well bet that that he knows.

It's amazing how everyone just goes crazy assuming things are going to be like they were. He's in a much better position now than he was a few years ago, and especially than his time in Toronto.

We have a team, they just seem to have lost "a set" along the way!! They just need new ones!! LOL

Yes, a "big bag of knuckles" would be nice. (Mystery, Alaska for the uninformed")

Agree, but he's free. Leafs are paying for his salary this year.