The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Unfortunately, the Canes are an average team, not a great team, not a lousy team. Even lousy teams have the promise of getting better by getting high draft picks. We don't even have that. We'll be stuck in mediocrity for a while, and Maurice isn't some magic pill that will help cure what ails us. Karmanos needs to open the wallet and let JR get some better players in here.

I think you hit the nail on the head on the above statment. MO, nor Francis can work miracles given the overall talent of the current Canes. Yes, we can sign ONE "star" player but given our self imposed cap doesn't allow more then that. We sign players that have a history of injuries at a fair price and hope their injuries are in the past. Unfortunately we find out that isn't the case and we have 4 to 6 players out on a regular bases, rotating players due to injuries on different shifts doesn't work... Players don't know how to work together when the lines change almost every game. We want as fans superstars to play on our team but yet we complain because the prices of tickets goes up. Guess what, if we want more then one franchise player on our team we must be willing to pay the price, ticket wise. The Canes management isn't willing to gamble on that happening so we are back to the one franchise player and hope the rest of our players are over achievers and if so we lose them to other teams willing to pay them at a higher price. I wish the best for coach L, he did do good but I believe the team was ready for a change, as others stated I hope he doesn't reappear in our same division. As for the future I believe for what it is worth that Francis is being groomed for our next coach and the upcoming months will be the deciding factor for him to push forward or not.

Jut my 02 cents. I'm still a Canes fan 100% and hope MO motivates.......

We will see if canefan248 will be ticket less in about an hour. I am more interested in this than the coaching change. We know what to expect from Mo, but what can we expect from canefan248?

I will dump 2 of my 4 seats is what I will do. I love hockey but I will not lend my support to an organization who chooses to make dumb decisions. I feel like we are supposed to feel honored that we have an NHL franchise and then pay $100 per seat while the management thinks we will accept anything and everything they choose to do. Not this time!

I forgot Grahme was not the Starter for Tampa that year. That was my mistake. Sorry about that.

However, that still doesn't change the fact the Gerber wanted to leave b/c he wanted to be a number 1 and he knew at best he would be splitting time 50 / 50 with Cam.

Yes, but that was the problem wasn't it? It should have been apparently obvious that Cam was not ready to be a number one goalie. Hextall won a Conn his rookie year (for the losing team) then sucked for several years after that. Did anyone (goalie coach, for example) say to management "this kid is going to be great, but he's not ready for #1? More to the point, it if was recognized, way bring in Grahame? Was this the best that was out there at the time, or just the cheap way? If it was the cheap way, that's not how you treat a potential great goalie....laying him out there w/out support. Does wonders to a kids confidence. That's why I say signing Grahame was a mistake.

Perhaps Canes Marketing can sell for 5 grand the chance to be coach for a game. This act would make more sense than brining back a retread for a coach. I understan the fact the Canes don't have to pay Mo's salary, but I would be more content having Francis as Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the year assisted with Tom Rowe. I am still not sure what changes Mo will bring to the team as I am not sure of the changes Obama will bring to our country,

Yes, but that was the problem wasn't it? It should have been apparently obvious that Cam was not ready to be a number one goalie. Hextall won a Conn his rookie year (for the losing team) then sucked for several years after that. Did anyone (goalie coach, for example) say to management "this kid is going to be great, but he's not ready for #1? More to the point, it if was recognized, way bring in Grahame? Was this the best that was out there at the time, or just the cheap way? If it was the cheap way, that's not how you treat a potential great goalie....laying him out there w/out support. Does wonders to a kids confidence. That's why I say signing Grahame was a mistake.

Most rookies (especially in net) have to take bumps on the ice in play. Had he not taken those, he would not be the amazing goalie he is right now.

Not sure I like this, dumbfounded like most.

I am thinking the 4 scenarios posted earlier may be on the money. Yes, there may be better choices than Mo out there, but if Francis MAY be headed that way, it makes sense. Also, sometimes the familiar seems the "safer" than the unknown. JR knows we get a class act, a coach who is a straight shooter, been to the Finals (with a much inferior team than 06).

Not ready to dump my seats... because I realise the game I love is also a business and the "world doesn't revolve around" me or any other fan or STH (sorry, that doesn't give us an ownership stake.)

chill folks-

it may work out

A few years ago, an evil female Canes fan was griping about Wesley on here. Said how horrible a move it was to get him (one of JR's first moves) trading a 1st round pick for such an average defenseman. Wes turned out to play pretty good that yr on the Cup run, and was one of most consistent the past 2 before retiring. That 1st round pick we gave Boston.......Samsonov.

Just an example: Funny how things go.

GO CANES!

If I see the Dump and Chase, I will dump my season tickets. This was a bad move, it won't sell seats. I do not anticipate playoffs this year.

We got Mo because he is FREE...the Leafs are paying salary as part of his severance pkg...JR said he'd reevaluate at the end of the year...

1) gives Mo a chance to prove himself

2) gives JR time to look for another possible coach

brilliant move...on JR's behalf...though not sure I agree... :blink:

[ :angry:

This is an absolute joke that is going over like a led balloon in Caniac land.

This strikes us as being the old boy network, controlling and not in the least cheap!

4 coaches behind the bench? What are we the Texas football team?

Francis is being used for his name and popularity with the fans. He has shown no interest in coaching.

My question is when does JR and Karmanos get called out by the media for running, as Wayne Gretzky once famously said, a Mickey Mouse operation?

This is not a very good team that needs to be tweaked. This is an average team put together on the cheap who doesn

I do not understand what all the panic is about, it isn't like the team had a chance at any post season action under Lavi. With the loss of several key offensive players over the past couple of seasons I believe the team is better suited to a more defense first system. Laviolette could not or would not deliver so in comes Maurice. Maurice is just a stop gap until Francis is ready anyway.

The Paul Maurice part throws me for a loop. I'll be finding a new team to pull for is this is true! That's absurd!

BOO HOO,Pauls the man,and when we start winning you cant come back...

Ivy Leagurer is on the mark Solid!

by the way JR saying taht coaching the Leafs is like going to college at an Uvy League school is dumb *edit* and insulting. To make it worse, it is the main reason for bringing MO back. He's more mature and better because of Toronto.

So is the Jamaican bobled team more ready and better becaus ethey went to the Olmpics? and GOT KILLED!

Toronto was a nightmare and MO did nothing to prove he helped.

MO is not taking over the '80 Isles or '97 RedWings, so his track record of making gold out of horse bleep will be a problem here.

teh canes are not a bad team, but they are average at best. .500 record, duh.

they can't score and Karmanos and JR have gone on teh cheap fo rplayers and certainly MO.

They got to fire Lavvy while not having to pay for a replacement they can completely control.

The true will surface now, this is JR's mess not Lavvy's.

If JR and Petey are trying to sell seats they succeeded as well as UNC did vs. the pack 10 days ago.

SMACKDOWN

I do not understand what all the panic is about, it isn't like the team had a chance at any post season action under Lavi. With the loss of several key offensive players over the past couple of seasons I believe the team is better suited to a more defense first system. Laviolette could not or would not deliver so in comes Maurice. Maurice is just a stop gap until Francis is ready anyway.

why is francis the answer? Is he the next Scotty Bowman. gimme a break. Why not give Ronny another night celebratinghis greatness and saty off tehbench.

We are what Wayne Gretzky once called the devils...a Mickey Mouse operation.

why is francis the answer? Is he the next Scotty Bowman. gimme a break. Why not give Ronny another night celebratinghis greatness and saty off tehbench.

We are what Wayne Gretzky once called the devils...a Mickey Mouse operation.

yeah my typing sucks, but the point does not! :huh:

Well, whoever the coach, I will be behind the team and will go to the games. The games certainly have not been very exciting lately - could it be much worse? With my tickets this year, I am now 0-3 and have seen 5 losses in a row total. And some of that action was the most frustrating, boring hockey I have seen around here. I can perfectly well understand the need for a change at this point, although I am not sure it is all coaching and not a mix of older players slowing down, some younger players in slumps, injury problems (3 years straight now), and newer guys and older guys still trying to find the right chemistry together. It just doesn't look like this team has the ability to work the puck and get good enough (and simply enough) scoring chances. Could be coaching - could be other factors too. It seems different than the past two seasons to me though - different as in much worse on the offensive end. Most of the past two seasons, at least there seemed to be some hope the Canes could win even when down. You can't win many scoring 2 goals a game.

I am not thrilled about Maurice coming back either and do wonder about changes in playing style. I am not sure it was a horrible "mid-season" move though, especially if it was for the interim (barring a major improvement in team performance).

Whoa!!!! I didn't get a chance to get on the net today at work, and came home to this? Whoaaaaa. Not panicking yet, with Francis sittin shotgun, things might not be as bad as the doomsdayers are saying. Give the man a chance. We might be alright.

After he got over the initial shock, my hubby said, "Is this robbing Peter to pay Paul?" I laughed so hard I nearly drove on the sidewalk. It was the only thing funny about the event.

Even though i am not a big fan of this move, Mo is whom we have and we have to deal with it .I myself am not going to turn away from my favorite Team because i don't agree with the choice of the new coach. I am not (as hockey smart) nor do i claim to know as much about hockey as JR and the Karmanos family, so with that said i am going to roll with this until either the wheels come off or we are in a wreck.(which may i add we were already heading for). So even though it seems like a step back in time it just may be our way into the future. So lets get behind the Canes and show them what kind of fans we really are. ;)

Even though i am not a big fan of this move, Mo is whom we have and we have to deal with it .I myself am not going to turn away from my favorite Team because i don't agree with the choice of the new coach. I am not (as hockey smart) nor do i claim to know as much about hockey as JR and the Karmanos family, so with that said i am going to roll with this until either the wheels come off or we are in a wreck.(which may i add we were already heading for). So even though it seems like a step back in time it just may be our way into the future. So lets get behind the Canes and show them what kind of fans we really are. ;)

A+++

Word!

I'm not goin', and never have been, against Lavi, but I think it's a change, and that's what this team needed. Maurice, hm,we'll see, I trust in JR and his decisions. In Addition, I think it's a great thing introducing Ronny Francis into coaching, maybe, sooner or later, he could make a headcoach on this team, and if it's gotta be Paul Maurice to help him making a start...I'll be fine with it.

Let's go canes, the deck'sbeen shuffled again...

Perhaps Canes Marketing can sell for 5 grand the chance to be coach for a game. This act would make more sense than brining back a retread for a coach. I understan the fact the Canes don't have to pay Mo's salary, but I would be more content having Francis as Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the year assisted with Tom Rowe. I am still not sure what changes Mo will bring to the team as I am not sure of the changes Obama will bring to our country,

neither Rowe or Francis have head coaching experience in the NHL. Rowe has been here for 25% of one season. Francis has never been on the bench as a coach in the NHL. PLease be serious. Mo is a stopgap for a short period and if he wins, he could stay. If not, he goes.

I have said for a while that Lavi's system does not work anymore. My goodness, get a forward to play some defense !!!!!!

Mo will tweak what is there.....simple tweaks to see if that works.

Having your forwards being blown off the ice on defense and keep doing the same thing does not make it better. Remember, what Brindy said when Lavi joined. "It is either going to be me or him to leave"