The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

10,000 + Views to a topic posted 8 hours ago about a coaching change. WHEW. I hope the press don't pick this up. Our reputation about being a non-traditional hockey market will be ruined. :P

I'm so confused with this: why not Tom Rowe? What in the hell was he brought here for? Was he not supposed to keep Lavi on his toes and make it known to him that he was in the way if he screwed up? Instead, I find out at 3:54 pm that we have re-hired a guy that looks and sounds like a serial killer?? It just stinks, this whole thing stinks.

Hate to see ya go Lavi...... Better luck elsewhere pal. Thanks for the Cup in 06!

Again, Tom Rowe has only been an assistant coach in the NHL for 25% of one season. Please people, GET REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would revolt 20 times more if Rowe was named than Mo being named.

I think it comes down to these two possibilities:

1. Staal and Brind'Amour and a few others have underperformed in part or mostly because they had fatigued of the coach and/or our style of play. If so, then as long as these two primarily are ok with Maurice, then they and by extention the team will come out and start playing much better almost immediately.

2. Staal and/or Brind'Amour, et. al are playing poorly for some other reason, ie. injury or getting up in years. If this is the case, the team will continue to struggle to keep it's head above .500 no matter who is the coach.

In scenario #1 a coaching change will ignite a playoff run. Yes, this team that we are told to "face it, it is a mediocre team" will explode for the better with Staal and Brind'Amour returned to form. We would suddenly have two powerful top lines, especially with Williams back, a very good third line, two capable offensive defenseman, decent goaltending and a very promising rookie center on the 4th line. Just by getting these two guys back to form we go from mediocre to formidable.

In scenario #2, Brind'Amour is done. He plays out the year, but the team throws in the towel at some point and goes for the draft pick. In this case Maurice is the fall guy. Heck, he may even have and "understanding" with JR. We don't turn things around by Christmas, and we start finding a way to get that lottery pick. In this scenario, the team gets an overhaul, and Rowe is probably the next coach.

Either way, it works better than keeping Laviolette.

The sorry fact of the matter is that Lavi isn't losing games out there. Staal is inconsistent, Rod has lost a step (as evidenced by one of the worst in the league +/- ratios), and Ward is just an average goalie with moments of brilliance.

Karmonos has given JR a budget that lies somewhere in the $8m - $9m under the NHL salary cap, and so we consistently have a team that does not have the star power of the elite teams in the league. I agree that it's a team sport, but the Canes are severely lacking players who can take over a game on a consistent basis. We don't have an Ovechkin, Crosby, Datsyuk, etc. And probably never will if JR continues to be handicapped by a budget that is well below the ceiling.

Lavi did a great job with this team initially, and frankly I think we lucked into our Cup a little bit... having the other top seeds in our conference lose in the playoffs, then getting the upstart 8th seeded Oilers in the Finals really helped our chances, and I'm glad we grabbed those chances and won the Cup. But I think a lot of that Cup run was led by circumstance. A lot of guys had what I would consider to be career years that season... and unfortunately haven't proven that they can consistently perform at that level (even Staal and Ward).

Hiring Maurice is a step backwards. Why hire someone who has a losing record, who led the Leafs to such a horrible position in the East the last couple years? It's a baffling move.

The Canes are barely holding onto the 8th spot in the East. They really don't have the guns to run with the Caps, now that Ovechkin and Semin are both firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately, the Canes are an average team, not a great team, not a lousy team. Even lousy teams have the promise of getting better by getting high draft picks. We don't even have that. We'll be stuck in mediocrity for a while, and Maurice isn't some magic pill that will help cure what ails us. Karmanos needs to open the wallet and let JR get some better players in here.

First, canes can not afford to spend to Cap. No way no how. Not being cheap but just a point of refence. If you look at other team expenditures, we are above average. I dont want them to spend to cap. The team would not last here. It is like me saying, go out and buy 2 Benz convertables and you say, I can't, I will go broke. I would love a couple of BEnzez out in the driveway but guess what, I can not afford them just like the Canes can't afford to go get an Ovie and Semin.

Also, the reason we dont have a Ovie and Semin is we are not bottom feeders like the Caps have been. When we were back in the day, we got Eric Staal. To get those players, you have to be a bottom feeder. Not to mention, we traded away draft picks to win the cup.

Mo is not a step back. If you understand maple leaf hockey, he had a total nut of a GM who had no idea what he was doing who chose the players. So many NTCs, even today, they can not get out of agreements and they kept given the old maple leaf standards large contracts to sell jerseys.

Don't boo your team, no matter what sport or game. Stay home, or if you're there go home. Players, Coaches and Owners understand empty seats. Can't stand your booing, unless its the other team you're targeting.

For now I trust JR. I don't think there is any permanence to this move. Mo is simply the right price, unfortunately. Lavi is not the reason this team has underachieved.

Let's see how the team responds. Billy Martin was hired/fired/hired/won championship/fired, etc. We'll see.

Okay, I just realized the purpose of bringing Mo back. Follow my steps here...

1. Rutherford decides change must be made.

2. Rutherford knows that coaching change may not be the answer, but that it is easier than replacing 25 players.

3. Rutherford knows that Francis is the guy he wants behind the bench.

4. Ronnie isn't sure that coaching is for him.

5. Rutherford cuts deal with Francis, giving him actual control of the team.

6. Rutherford brings back "friend" Maurice to be figurehead coach.

There are four possible scenarios from here:

The team wins and Francis likes coaching: Maurice looks like a savior, JR gives his friend a great referral to another club, and Francis steps into the catbird's seat.

The team loses and Francis likes coaching: Maurice gets the quick exit and Francis slides in the the head spot.

The team wins and Francis doesn't want to coach: Maurice has led the turnaround and stays on as head man with much goodwill. Francis returns to GM duties.

The team loses and Francis doesn't want to coach: Mo gets the door (and here's the key, Rutherford doesn't have to commit fanbase suicide by firing our Hall of Famer), Francis goes back to the press box, and we start fresh next season.

Nice job Mike - this is all anyone needs to know to understand the whole thing. JR himself said it's almost a no-win for Mo. I wouldn't use the term figurehead (no self respecting coach would put himself in that role), more of a tryout. I put two and two together myself while listening to the news conference. Francis said he wasn't looking for it, but JR asked and he figured he'd try it out. Same thing Francis said about taking his first front office job, and then the assistant GM spot - not sure about it, JR gave him a shot with essentially no strings attached, then grew to like it. Now, Francis gets to work with the guy he played under for so many years. And Mo comes cheap - bonus!

It's really the only way this all makes sense. No other coach would come in on a "tryout" - he would want a multi-year deal. JR wants Ronnie to try coaching with some cover from his old coach...if he likes it, do it for a few years, until it's GM time.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Sorry to see Lavi go, but was probably time... it remains to be seen if the right call was made.

NOT Maurice- I think I am going to be sick!

What is JR thinking!

i am sick,,,just maybe it's jr's bag to carry for the hurricanes play,,hope he's next in line to get fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Vasicek was dealt for Walker. Why he was resigned, I'm not sure. I wasn't a big fan of re-signing him, but it wasn't awful. I do agree, he was terrible, especially in the new NHL. When he was drafted it was the old NHL and players like him were golden. He led the team in scoring one year....

Remember, Vasicek was the teams highest scorer in 2003/2004 (I think it was that year)

does any one see the door opening for Francis next year! I'm calling it!

That's what I think he Maurice is here for. I think there testing Francis to see if he is able to be a head coach. I think Maurice is here to be an guidance for Francis while still being a head coach while francis tests out if he likes coaching.

The Paul Maurice part throws me for a loop. I'll be finding a new team to pull for is this is true! That's absurd!

I want a refund on my tickets. Mo hockey is boring and not fun to watch. I'd rather have Torts as coach than Mo.

I'm dead serious. If they've actually re-hired Paul Maurice, I am done with this team.

Also, if this is ture, I give up my season tickets next year -- I am an 11 year season ticket holder.

But if it's true, it will go down as one of the worst decisions in sports history. I won't be attending any more Canes games with Mo behind the bench even though I'm a STH if only to deny the Canes the parking and beer revenue.

I didn't get Season Tickets because I couldn't afford it...but I hoped to go to a few games this season....but now...I no longer want to....this is a real give up move by JR.

Don't boo your team, no matter what sport or game. Stay home, or if you're there go home. Players, Coaches and Owners understand empty seats. Can't stand your booing, unless its the other team you're targeting.

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Go nuts here or elsewhere if you have to, but anyone who pays money to boo at their own team is crazy in my book.

If they bring back Maurice, I will attend my remaining games but I won't buy any new tickets for this season.

If this true, the Canes just lost two long time season ticket holders and i want my money back. We paid thousands of dollars for the past few years and now this . We are done.

I might go to the Penns game to boo Mo, but that's it.

If they keep this loser my 4 season tickets are done after this year and I will go to see my other team when they come to town.

I will dump 2 of my 4 seats is what I will do.

If I see the Dump and Chase, I will dump my season tickets.

If I see the Dump and Chase, I will dump my season tickets. This was a bad move, it won't sell seats. I do not anticipate playoffs this year.

If you haven't noticed we are already dumping. Now if Mo can get them to chase, that will be a step up. :lol:

Now don't take that as I'm all for this move. I'm still not sold on Mo coming back. I'm still not sold firing Lavi was the right choice. However, a change was needed. Unfortuntly you can't fire 20 guys and the coach always gets the boot.

Besides, its not like JR offered Mo a 10 year contract. He's here as a stop gap, nothing more. If he fails, well no lose as he won't be back. This gives JR time to interview and see who could be interested in the coaching job. I look at it as a you rub my back and i'll rub yours. JR needs a coach, Mo wants to get back.

WOW..... MOE??? ;):huh::lol: <_<

On Lord Stanleys Blog

I knew something was going to happen

Sources tell TSN the Carolina Hurricanes have fired head coach Peter Laviolette and in a unique about face, have replaced him with former Hurricanes head coach Paul Maurice.

This move comes amid weeks of speculation of change in Carolina and the teams' battle with consistency with Laviolette at the helm.

Laviolette, last month, surpassed John Tortorella to become the winningest American born coach in NHL history with his 240th victory.

Laviolette was hired by the Hurricanes in December of 2003 after Maurice was fired just 30 games in to the season.

Carolina missed the playoffs in Laviolette's first season behind the bench; however following the lockout in 2004-2005, a rejuvenated Hurricanes team thrived in 2005-2006 en route to a Stanley Cup Championship.

However, since that Cup run Carolina has been challenged with injuries and has missed the playoffs the past two seasons.

Carolina has won just 4 of its last 10 games and sits second in the Southeast and eighth in the Eastern Conference, but the Hurricanes face a tough schedule this week with Pittsburgh in Raleigh, NC on Thursday, followed by the Philadelphia Flyers visit on Saturday.

Maurice, who resides in the Toronto area, has been attending university classes since being fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs last May.

He interviewed for coaching vacancies in Florida, Atlanta and the New York Islanders during the off-season and has most recently been helping monitor games in the NHL's war room in Toronto on a weekly basis

It's really the only way this all makes sense. No other coach would come in on a "tryout" - he would want a multi-year deal. JR wants Ronnie to try coaching with some cover from his old coach...if he likes it, do it for a few years, until it's GM time.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Actually this is a safe move for JR and Mo.

Maybe Ref can correct me, but if I remember the Leafs have to pay Mo his full contract MINUS any other coaching pay he recieves. So if Mo only coaches until season end, he continues getting his Leaf contract until it ends.

So Paul will be paid either by PK or the Teachers Union next year.

Very seldom will you find a coach in any sport that starts and finishes their career with the same franchise.

If JR wanted to bring the fans back this WAS not the way. MOE was not liked by the fans when he left and he did not prove himself after being "FIRED"..... I have a hard time thinking JR has that poor of judgement. Makes you think that KP had A LOT to do with this.

If everyone hates the new HIRE, stay at home Thursday night it's on TV.

I hope we don't get bet 6-2 tomorrow night.

If anyone on the team thinks they are the reason that Peter is not here right, Step Up!

Thanks

Coop

I think it comes down to these two possibilities:

1. Staal and Brind'Amour and a few others have underperformed in part or mostly because they had fatigued of the coach and/or our style of play. If so, then as long as these two primarily are ok with Maurice, then they and by extention the team will come out and start playing much better almost immediately.

2. Staal and/or Brind'Amour, et. al are playing poorly for some other reason, ie. injury or getting up in years. If this is the case, the team will continue to struggle to keep it's head above .500 no matter who is the coach.

In scenario #1 a coaching change will ignite a playoff run. Yes, this team that we are told to "face it, it is a mediocre team" will explode for the better with Staal and Brind'Amour returned to form. We would suddenly have two powerful top lines, especially with Williams back, a very good third line, two capable offensive defenseman, decent goaltending and a very promising rookie center on the 4th line. Just by getting these two guys back to form we go from mediocre to formidable.

In scenario #2, Brind'Amour is done. He plays out the year, but the team throws in the towel at some point and goes for the draft pick. In this case Maurice is the fall guy. Heck, he may even have and "understanding" with JR. We don't turn things around by Christmas, and we start finding a way to get that lottery pick. In this scenario, the team gets an overhaul, and Rowe is probably the next coach.

Either way, it works better than keeping Laviolette.

I would just add to this that under #1, Maurice will keep the job if we make a deep playoff run. Francis, if he wants it, if we don't. Under #2 I think Rowe because I'm not sure Francis wants to coach in a potential rebuilding scenario, but if he does, you can't really say no the the Hall of Famer.

he has been fired every where he has been,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So has every other coach in the NHL. its just rare that the coach you fired is replaced with the guy you fired and replaced him with.... :blink: Maurice is here now, it is what it is. Is it questionable??? yes. The canes front office is rolling the dice. Just sit back and hope the gamble pays off.

During the skating part of Skate with the Canes, Staal was on the ice with us and his shoulder was wrapped under his jersey. I told him, as a physical therapist, I HATE shoulder injuries and I wished him luck healing up. It IS an injury. And for the life of me I CANNOT understand how/why Lavi double shifted him.

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Go nuts here or elsewhere if you have to, but anyone who pays money to boo at their own team is crazy in my book.

Yep, crazy to just sit there paying good money and seeing your team and players mail it in on a fairly consistent basis. I boo, I whistle, and tomorrow night I may just wear a bag over my head. No wait, quite possibly a double bagger is called for.

A few years ago, an evil female Canes fan was griping about Wesley on here. Said how horrible a move it was to get him (one of JR's first moves) trading a 1st round pick for such an average defenseman. Wes turned out to play pretty good that yr on the Cup run, and was one of most consistent the past 2 before retiring. That 1st round pick we gave Boston.......Samsonov.

Just an example: Funny how things go.

HA! You da man Butch!! See ya in 338 tomorrow where the real fans are. I bet all of us will be there unlike some of the posters on this site....