The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

During the skating part of Skate with the Canes, Staal was on the ice with us and his shoulder was wrapped under his jersey. I told him, as a physical therapist, I HATE shoulder injuries and I wished him luck healing up. It IS an injury. And for the life of me I CANNOT understand how/why Lavi double shifted him.

I was looking for that, but didn't notice it. If it's still wrapped, that does say something. I'd hoped he would be coming out of it by now...if not, it could be a long road, as you say.

Yep, crazy to just sit there paying good money and seeing your team and players mail it in on a fairly consistent basis. I boo, I whistle, and tomorrow night I may just wear a bag over my head. No wait, quite possibly a double bagger is called for.

I can see it being different for a season ticket holder I guess...just not sure how I'd explain it to my kids...but that's me.

Ok so here is my un-hockey educated take on this change... Those of you who will go to the games just to "Boo Maurice" ask yourself this... "did I buy a ticket to watch and support the "team" or childishly boo their coach. In my opinion this would send another BAD - NEGATIVE idea to the guys on the ice. People live up (or down) to the expections set for them. I mean do you really think they want to be losing? I wish I was lucky enough to be a STH but I am not... I wish I lived closer if I did I would attend more games and sit in the nosebleed just to be in the building. Does it suck when they lose ---you bet. Is it better when they win---yep! I guess what I am getting at is I am a "fan" of the "team" to me the team is the guys ON the ice not behind the bench and up in the office. I will be watching "My Team" from my living room tomorrow night win or lose I will not change the channel or turn the game off before the final buzzer and I for 1 hope they make all of you basing this change eat crow... GO CANES :-} Let's just see what happens. For all of you screaming "fire the coach" it has happened now what do you want???

I will dump 2 of my 4 seats is what I will do. I love hockey but I will not lend my support to an organization who chooses to make dumb decisions. I feel like we are supposed to feel honored that we have an NHL franchise and then pay $100 per seat while the management thinks we will accept anything and everything they choose to do. Not this time!

This is for all you people that "claim" you are going to dump your seats because we made a coaching change. GOOD GOOD GOOD !!!! You obviously aren't much of a fan if you are this fickle. You probably leave the game early when we're behind. I'll bet 99.9% of you won't dump them anyway, you're just blowing off steam, so why bother saying it. If you do quit going, even better because you are probably one of the knuckleheads that sits near me that I can't stand anyway. :lol:

And canefan248, why only dump 2 of the 4? Just curious.

Something had to change in a team that is this inconsistent and not playing to their potential. This is like changing the goalie when he's let in 5 or 6 goals regardless of whose fault it is. Someone has to go. I personally liked Lavi and his coaching style, and feel that a good part of why this team missed the playoffs is due to injuries. But in the end, you still have to find a way to get in the playoffs.

We'll be cheering for Mo when his name is announced tomorrow and hope for the best. Hopefully everyone else will too.

I give my thanks to Lavi for his years of service and for bringing us The Cup !! You can never take that away from him. In the words of Bill Murray in Caddyshack " So I've got that going for me....which is nice".

Ok so here is my un-hockey educated take on this change... Those of you who will go to the games just to "Boo Maurice" ask yourself this... "did I buy a ticket to watch and support the "team" or childishly boo their coach. In my opinion this would send another BAD - NEGATIVE idea to the guys on the ice. People live up (or down) to the expections set for them. I mean do you really think they want to be losing? I wish I was lucky enough to be a STH but I am not... I wish I lived closer if I did I would attend more games and sit in the nosebleed just to be in the building. Does it suck when they lose ---you bet. Is it better when they win---yep! I guess what I am getting at is I am a "fan" of the "team" to me the team is the guys ON the ice not behind the bench and up in the office. I will be watching "My Team" from my living room tomorrow night win or lose I will not change the channel or turn the game off before the final buzzer and I for 1 hope they make all of you basing this change eat crow... GO CANES :-} Let's just see what happens. For all of you screaming "fire the coach" it has happened now what do you want???

thank you for that sir. resturant quality.

This is for all you people that "claim" you are going to dump your seats because we made a coaching change. GOOD GOOD GOOD !!!! You obviously aren't much of a fan if you are this fickle. You probably leave the game early when we're behind. I'll bet 99.9% of you won't dump them anyway, you're just blowing off steam, so why bother saying it. If you do quit going, even better because you are probably one of the knuckleheads that sits near me that I can't stand anyway. :lol:

Something had to change in a team that is this inconsistent and not playing to their potential. This is like changing the goalie when he's let in 5 or 6 goals regardless of whose fault it is. Someone has to go. I personally liked Lavi and his coaching style, and feel that a good part of why this team missed the playoffs is due to injuries. But in the end, you still have to find a way to get in the playoffs.

We'll be cheering for Mo when his name is announced tomorrow and hope for the best. Hopefully everyone else will too.

QFT A+++

I give my thanks to Lavi for his years of service and for bringing us The Cup !! You can never take that away from him. In the words of Bill Murray in Caddyshack " So I've got that going for me....which is nice".

Gunga galunga...gunga, gunga galunga :lol:

You know, while we're at it, maybe we could get the Dalai Lama to play for us because we need more toughness. Big hitter, the Lama. ;)

HA! You da man Butch!! See ya in 338 tomorrow where the real fans are. I bet all of us will be there unlike some of the posters on this site....

Because I don't support bringing Mo back I'm not a real fan. I'm not a full STH to watch the coach, i go to games to watch an awesome sport. Even though I'm not fully on board with Mo coming back, I'll be in my normal Sec 113, watching the TEAM not the coach. I don't have to be in full support of Mo in order to be a real fan.

Because I don't support bringing Mo back I'm not a real fan. I'm not a full STH to watch the coach, i go to games to watch an awesome sport. Even though I'm not fully on board with Mo coming back, I'll be in my normal Sec 113, watching the TEAM not the coach. I don't have to be in full support of Mo in order to be a real fan.

Me thinks he meant the complainers who said they would sell their tickets or not renew. Defensive crowd here.

Me thinks he meant the complainers who said they would sell their tickets or not renew. Defensive crowd here.

Well that makes more sense :lol:

Yeah guess we are a bit defensive today huh. I think we need a game to discuss, haha

No, but...

Like this?

Firing Lavi, understandable

Bringing back Mo, what is JR smoking. Has he lost his mind.

I want a refund on my tickets. Mo hockey is boring and not fun to watch. I'd rather have Torts as coach than Mo.

Too bad JR turned down the Laffs job last summer. Way to make this org a laughing stock JR. He belongs with the circus in Toronto.

to all u NEGATIVE so called fans that wanted petes head, stop whining with ur cheese on maurices hiring.. go canes! are u people ever satisfied? dinz

Okay, I just realized the purpose of bringing Mo back. Follow my steps here...

1. Rutherford decides change must be made.

2. Rutherford knows that coaching change may not be the answer, but that it is easier than replacing 25 players.

3. Rutherford knows that Francis is the guy he wants behind the bench.

4. Ronnie isn't sure that coaching is for him.

5. Rutherford cuts deal with Francis, giving him actual control of the team.

6. Rutherford brings back "friend" Maurice to be figurehead coach.

There are four possible scenarios from here:

The team wins and Francis likes coaching: Maurice looks like a savior, JR gives his friend a great referral to another club, and Francis steps into the catbird's seat.

The team loses and Francis likes coaching: Maurice gets the quick exit and Francis slides in the the head spot.

The team wins and Francis doesn't want to coach: Maurice has led the turnaround and stays on as head man with much goodwill. Francis returns to GM duties.

The team loses and Francis doesn't want to coach: Mo gets the door (and here's the key, Rutherford doesn't have to commit fanbase suicide by firing our Hall of Famer), Francis goes back to the press box, and we start fresh next season.

And I would add one more thing to this. J.R. was making a change in the middle of the season, a hard thing to do. While Coach Mo doesn't know the current crop of Canes, he knows the organization and has a relationship with Brindy. If you are going to change horses in mid-stream, it helps to know the horse you are getting on. I agree with most of your analysis on Francis being the real cog in this coaching machine. Oh yeah, and he has a relationship with Mo too.

Some kind of change had to be made. This franchise has been in this funk for over 2 years. There have been too many excuses of injuries. The team can't just lay down when they have players hurt and say "we are down some players".

Holy *edit*.... I go onto nhl.com and see this?!?!?! Man... I'm surprised really. I can see Lavi being fired... coaches take alot of the blame, regardless if it's their fault they're slacking or not. But bringing back Maurice to replace Lavi... holy schnikes! Why not just put Francis into the coach's seat since we're already this deep into the season? If they thought he'd do a bad job, surely they didn't think Mo would be better, did they??!?

2. Rutherford knows that coaching change may not be the answer, but that it is easier than replacing 25 players.

The team wins and Francis likes coaching: Maurice looks like a savior, JR gives his friend a great referral to another club, and Francis steps into the catbird's seat.

The team loses and Francis likes coaching: Maurice gets the quick exit and Francis slides in the the head spot.

The team wins and Francis doesn't want to coach: Maurice has led the turnaround and stays on as head man with much goodwill. Francis returns to GM duties.

The team loses and Francis doesn't want to coach: Mo gets the door (and here's the key, Rutherford doesn't have to commit fanbase suicide by firing our Hall of Famer), Francis goes back to the press box, and we start fresh next season.

That I can understand then... but still... woof!

Yep, crazy to just sit there paying good money and seeing your team and players mail it in on a fairly consistent basis. I boo, I whistle, and tomorrow night I may just wear a bag over my head. No wait, quite possibly a double bagger is called for.

We will more than likely be the better for it.

You definitely hit it.

Also, I recall that Mo was offered a front office position after his first stint, but he declined. Maybe they gave him the offer again, if Francis likes and takes the coaching job...

I thought Mo's humor during the press conference was really amusing. Not ROLFLMAO funny but atleast LMAO funny. The comment when he "introduced a guy who probably has a bio in the Hurricanes website" a one Ron Francis.

Also when he recalled the exact opponent they had played and up coming schedule when he got fire from this team previously.

He definitely has a lot better sense of humor than Lavi...you've got to give him that. Plus the last time he was coaching in Raleigh he had already packed his bags because they were under his eyes!

He definitely appeared to me a more flexible(coaching wise) Coach Mo!

Wow, some faithful fans we got here. I'm reading some of these posts and laughing, that you guys are really that shallow with the team. Maurice is here only for the rest of the season. He has no long time obligations, nor do I think he will after this season. The only scenario I see Mo staying here long time is if we win the cup, or make the finals.

You guys are a disgrace to the sport and to the team for jumping ship because we hired a coach you don't like. Think of what other hockey fans think around the league. They are thinking we are pathetic fans.

EDIT: This is to all those who claim they are no longer Hurricanes fans and who claim they are giving up their tickets.

Buckeye

First, I do not have to defend my loyalty to the Canes to anyone on this board. I have been a STH for 11 years and was the 43rd person to buy season tkts when the team came to NC. I have missed a total of 12 games in 11 years and I stay to the end of games even if it is excruciatingly painful.

Next season I will keep 2 of my 4 seats because I simply love hockey. However, I am not a dumbass who likes to be taken for a ride as apparently you do. When people make stupid decisions and dumb mistakes they should be held responsible for their actions. This was both a stupid and dumb decision and the only way I can impact that is by not voting with my dollars.

So, if you want to continue along for the ride and make the Canes management believe that they do no wrong, and worse that their fan base will stick with them whatever, go for it. I am sure you and your pals will enjoy the more unobstructed view.

Lavi had to go sometime because for whatever reason these guys weren't playing for him anymore. Forget the Cup season, think back to last year. Think about the effort displayed from January and on. Not just from the Rat Pack, but from top line guys like Staal. That is what we need to get back and with more skill guys healthy that would probably lead to greater results than last year held.

I look at it this way, we're still #8 in the East, we have the collection of skill to be in the top 5 easily. Coach Mo may not be the guy to get this team confident again, who knows, but we needed a change and we got one. At first I hated it, but Coach Mo cannot and will probably not use the 'dump and chase' system so basically we will see a different type of coaching than we saw the last go round. So I'm going to wait until I see what type of team we become under Coach Mo before I start to say I want some fresh blood in at Head Coach. Either way though this team's PP needs to get straightened out or it won't matter who the coach is.

However, I am not a dumbass who likes to be taken for a ride as apparently you do. When people make stupid decisions and dumb mistakes they should be held responsible for their actions. This was both a stupid and dumb decision and the only way I can impact that is by not voting with my dollars.

So, if you want to continue along for the ride and make the Canes management believe that they do no wrong, and worse that their fan base will stick with them whatever, go for it. I am sure you and your pals will enjoy the more unobstructed view.

Some hostility here. I don't see anywhere where buckeye said the management made a good decision. He was simply explaining why it was made. And he never said management does no wrong either. Don't put words in other peoples mouths.