The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Firing Lavi, understandable

Bringing back Mo, what is JR smoking. Has he lost his mind.

I want a refund on my tickets. Mo hockey is boring and not fun to watch. I'd rather have Torts as coach than Mo.

Too bad JR turned down the Laffs job last summer. Way to make this org a laughing stock JR. He belongs with the circus in Toronto.

I agree, this stinks on so many levels. I understand the business side of hockey and when a team ain't performing you have two options, 1) trade all 20 guys for another set of 20 guys or 2) fire the coach/GM. Bringing back Mo just goes to prove I wasted my money on 7 seats and should have invested it elsewhere.

I guess next thing they will do is announce a move to Winnipeg mid season!!

i don't know for sure but i'm guessing hes not ready and that he would want a full training camp of his style instead of jumping in now. i'm thinking maurice is doing the canes a favor to finish out the season for them. also wonder what the salary hit is on lavi......

I tend to agree about Francis, but management is going to throw Mo and the team into this situation anyway. Lavi's and Mo's systems are almost polar opposites. Fast-paced, attacking, d-men up style vs. 5 men in the box, trapping, 1-0 game style.

This will be an interesting experiment.

The Paul Maurice part throws me for a loop. I'll be finding a new team to pull for is this is true! That's absurd!

Another "loyal fan" speaks.

Tomorrow night vs. Penguins -- first goal by the Pens, everyone in the arena stands up a YELLS -- "Mo Must Go"! Let's give him a real, warm welcome back. Also, if this is ture, I give up my season tickets next year -- I am an 11 year season ticket holder.

Hopefully TSN is wrong about this and is just messing with us Carolina fans. They've been wrong plenty of times before. But if it's true, it will go down as one of the worst decisions in sports history. I won't be attending any more Canes games with Mo behind the bench even though I'm a STH if only to deny the Canes the parking and beer revenue.

Hire me instead JR, I'll stand behind the bench and chew gum at half the price.

I really hope the Maurice thing is wrong. He might manage to be booed his first night on the bench. If you're going to settle for mediocrity why do you pay the guy who's getting mediocre results to go away. Maurice is not an answer, unless its fire sale time and JR wants to set the team up for a chance at the #1 pick.

I'm a teacher that caught this during my planning time. This is going to disrupt my entire day. I can't believe this *edit*. I'm a 1st year STH and we'll see if this is just grooming Francis for next year. PLEASE let it be a grooming a period!

I know nice guys finish last, but Coach (well, ex-coach) Lavi was great last night at Skate with the Canes. I'm sorry we won't be able to get our photo signed by him.

Someone shoot me please or stick a fork in my @#$% eye. I'd rather have Barry Melrose than Paul Maurice. This mess of bringing everyone back at some point is ridiculous. I guess next, Bates will be suiting up with Erik Cole, oh wait, he was smart and jumped ship when he could.

Does Irbe still live in Raleigh. I guess he can arrive from Latvia in a few hours if need be.

Tom Barraso can suit up as a back up.

Maybe Glen can come out of retirement.

Excuse me while I vent, but I am hot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok--I understand the Lavi firing--coaches get fired for things beyond they're control all the time--but to bring back Mo? The milquetoastiest coach ever? Where's O'Neill? Does he want to come back now? Skating speed is purely optional now...

And Rowe is on the bench, Ted Nolan is out of a job--how the heck do you settle on Moe?

Great. Dump and Chase here we come.

Why not? It's what we've been doing for two years now.

I think based on the timing and the fact that Maurice has an at best tenuous history with this club, this is clearly a transitional move. Wouldn't surprise me if Lavi got belligerent and JR acted. If JR has been placing the blame at Lavi's feet, he's way off, but that's what GM's do: "I've brought in all this talent, and you haven't done anything with it." Then they limit the coach's options by insisting on particular captains and TOIs. If I were Lavi I'd have taken about five minutes of that, and if I'm right about how it happened, I have to respect him for biting his tongue as long as he did.

Next move: JR to Toronto. I give him until the end of the season, maybe not that long.

Tomorrow night vs. Penguins -- first goal by the Pens, everyone in the arena stands up a YELLS -- "Mo Must Go"! Let's give him a real, warm welcome back. Also, if this is ture, I give up my season tickets next year -- I am an 11 year season ticket holder.

We will see if canefan248 will be ticket less in about an hour. I am more interested in this than the coaching change. We know what to expect from Mo, but what can we expect from canefan248?

Great - bringing back a guy that you fired just a few years ago!!!! That is about intelligent.

Mo gets fired from Carolina, gets fired from Toronto, can't get jobs with other organizations this year - and this is the guy we hire??? why JR

as if trying to sell my tickets was hard enough before, this will really make it difficult. NO ONE wants to watch 1-0 "attempted" hockey. games will be boring and I predict we fall further in conference standings.

Would it be inappropriate to chat "Mo Must Go!" at the game tomorrow?

Now I know how the captain of the Titantic felt.

you won't be by yourself, i will start the chant when they introduce him as coach.

This just sucks. I really think Lavi is a good coach and while I admit something had to be done, I don't think this was the right thing to do. I think everyone's assumption was Rowe was going to inherit the job, but I guess that is not the case. I never really liked Maurice and I will boo when they announce him at the game tomorrow, but I will give him a chance.

This just really sucks and I think it is a move backwards!!!

you won't be by yourself, i will start the chant when they introduce him as coach.

What a joke....this team is now the laughing stock of the NHL. In 9 years Maurice never won *edit*! EVER! Laviolette won a Cup in 3 season with this team. I'm not saying I didn't expect a coaching change...but Paul Maurice...I'm sickened...and now...there's a new person who needs to GO...and it's Jim Rutherford...how could he say he's trying to make a winning team...by bringing back a coach who was here for almost a decade and never won anything.

To me, it's evident, and JR wants a whipping boy behind the bench...someone who will do exactly what JR tells him to do....Paul Maurice was already in that role...

I didn't get Season Tickets because I couldn't afford it...but I hoped to go to a few games this season....but now...I no longer want to....this is a real give up move by JR.

PS: My uncle told me he thinks JR is TRYING to get fired.

What a joke....this team is now the laughing stock of the NHL. In 9 years Maurice never won *edit*! EVER! Laviolette won a Cup in 3 season with this team. I'm not saying I didn't expect a coaching change...but Paul Maurice...I'm sickened...and now...there's a new person who needs to GO...and it's Jim Rutherford...how could he say he's trying to make a winning team...by bringing back a coach who was here for almost a decade and never won anything.

To me, it's evident, and JR wants a whipping boy behind the bench...someone who will do exactly what JR tells him to do....Paul Maurice was already in that role...

I didn't get Season Tickets because I couldn't afford it...but I hoped to go to a few games this season....but now...I no longer want to....this is a real give up move by JR.

PS: My uncle told me he thinks JR is TRYING to get fired.

Forslund was just on NHL radio...and he said he was completely suprised...no one saw this coming.

Bob Hartley, Torts, Nolan would all be better than MO...