The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Me thinks he meant the complainers who said they would sell their tickets or not renew. Defensive crowd here.

Correct, Canic247 is the kind of fan I like. Got some things he doesn't care for, but he still will be there supporting the Canes. No matter who wears the jersey or who stands behind them in the suit, they are still the Canes, our Canes.

I learned long ago...when they dumped my guy archie, not to get tooooo attached to players or coaches. it's a business first....

Plus, most of the good ones land on thier feet elsewhere, or it was time to go to pasture...

there are a lot of players over the years that I miss...but learned to like just as many of the new ones...

Aside from Mo's previous firing, the thing that worries me most is that he didn't have to go back to work right now.

Getting paid to play golf wasn't too bad of a deal. Is the guy hungry enough to get it done?

Time will tell - interested to see what the "minor changes in all 3 zones" will bring.

I'm pissed about this change, but in 1996, I was pissed when the Yankees hired that loser Joe Torre. I felt so compelled that I actually wrote George Steinbrenner a letter about what an idiot he was for such a move. Torre had no success to speak of as a manager and look what happened. Maybe we'll look back at this one after they reel off 11 wins, but right now, this sucks!

Seems like this is needed right about now........

Everybody say it together now (turning to look at self in mirror):

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gonnit, people like me"

We got a good rest of the season left guys/gals.....let's keep cheering on the Canes and hearing each other's points w/o going nuts on each other. I've been guilty of this earlier this season and learned to keep in mind that this is a game. One we are all obviously passionate about which is great, but keep it in perspective.

So.....LET'S GO CANES! LET'S GO CANES!

It couldn't be more clear that the system that Lavi has had in place this season and most of last just isn't going to work. Whether it is due to lack of horses or the lack of willingness by the players, something absolutely had to be done. The Canes can no longer "run and gun" with the offensive powerhouses in the East. They simply do not have the goal-scoring ability that teams like Pittsburgh, Wash, and Montreal can bring to the table. Their shots on goal numbers have usually been impressive, but let's face it, they aren't striking fear into anyone's defense or causing goalies to lose sleep.

For this team to be able to compete with the upper echelon of the league, they MUST have more of a focus on basic defensive principles. How many times this year have you seen a neutral ice turnover leading to a 2 or 3 on 1 rush the other way? How many times are we going to watch Staal make a blind drop pass that turns into a beautiful set-up leading to an odd-man rush? What about the turnovers in their own end while trying to get puck control that lead to opponents' goals (Just fire the puck out already!)?

Paul Maurice will bring these defensive principles to practice every day and engrain them in the heads of the players. No, it won't be as pretty for us fans in the stands, but a 3-2 OT win is ALWAYS prettier than a 4-1 loss, I don't care what anyone says. Lavi's philosophy of the best defense is a good offense just hasn't worked with these players. During the Cup run, we had those players in place who were offensive players but were always defensively responsible first (see Recchi, Stillman). Guys like Eaves, Larose, Samsonov, and dare I say Staal just don't have those basic principles - or at least they don't exercise them in game situations.

Mo will bring this responsibility back to these players. Again, success is most likely going to take some time, but it will happen. There's enough talent on this team for Mo not to thrive. Cam and Michael have got to be very happy with this decision.

Some hostility here. I don't see anywhere where buckeye said the management made a good decision. He was simply explaining why it was made. And he never said management does no wrong either. Don't put words in other peoples mouths.

No hostiliy but I do resent someone questioning my loyalty and support for the Canes. When Buckeye complains of the fickle fans I do take exception to that.

Reminder to please control the personal attacks and swearing. Especially calling others "dumbasses".

Thanks.

Marcus

Perhaps you should read a bit more closely. I spoke of myself, NOT OTHERS as NOT being a dumbass.

Perhaps you should read a bit more closely. I spoke of myself, NOT OTHERS as NOT being a dumbass.

That comment was made several times in this entire thread. It was directed to everyone in general and not towards you or I would have quoted it.

I have a conflict with CP prison ministry tomorrow night, otherwise I would be at the game. I would hope that this move will make every player believe no job is safe and put every effort into every shift

No hostiliy but I do resent someone questioning my loyalty and support for the Canes. When Buckeye complains of the fickle fans I do take exception to that.

Sorry but anyone who would chunk their tickets simply because of a coaching change is not thinking rationally in my opinion and comes across as fickle. You don't even know yet what the results will be.

If you post stuff like that on a message board, you're going to get questioned about it. Nobody knows that you're STH #43 when you post it, and frankly, I'm shocked that someone that's been that loyal to the team so many years is that fragile in

their loyalty to the team.

I'll stick by my previous statement that 99.9% of all you ticket chunkers are still there next year and are just blowing off steam. Hey, blow off some steam, everyone is doing it. Just be prepared to take some heat.

All day I have been trying to put my finger on why this move has me feeling bad as well as worried, and I think that Joe Ovies at 850 The Buzz said it for me:

"Maurice might be considered a good coach in hockey circles, but he is the depressing face of what hockey used to be in the Triangle for too many loyal fans. Laviolette, in combination with Rutherford

Whoever is coaching this weekend I will be at the games cheering for my Canes.

And this involves a 250 mile drive from Asheville to an arena where I've seen

8 straight losses on my drive down. I am totally shocked at what happened today

but hope it is for the best. I am old enough to remember when Dean Smith was

hanged in effigy on the UNC campus early in his career.

We have a team that is struggling and has lots of newcomers and injureis but is still in the hunt even though they are perceived as playing badly.

When Wilt Chamberlin went to the 76ers in the 60's he joined a team that had played

500 ball the first half of the season. The team played 500 ball the second half. The

next year the team set a record for NBA wins that stood until Micheal Jordon and company

broke the record in the 90's.

The gist of all this is that we have a decent team that is still in the midst of things with a

real possibility of breaking out to much higher levels. I cannot see anyway that we cannot

be better (other than the injury bug) in the season left. To not back our team would be

a grave mistake. Go Canes........Forever!

Whoever is coaching this weekend I will be at the games cheering for my Canes.

And this involves a 250 mile drive from Asheville to an arena where I've seen

8 straight losses on my drive down. I am totally shocked at what happened today

but hope it is for the best. I am old enough to remember when Dean Smith was

hanged in effigy on the UNC campus early in his career.

We have a team that is struggling and has lots of newcomers and injureis but is still in the hunt even though they are perceived as playing badly.

When Wilt Chamberlin went to the 76ers in the 60's he joined a team that had played

500 ball the first half of the season. The team played 500 ball the second half. The

next year the team set a record for NBA wins that stood until Micheal Jordon and company

broke the record in the 90's.

The gist of all this is that we have a decent team that is still in the midst of things with a

real possibility of breaking out to much higher levels. I cannot see anyway that we cannot

be better (other than the injury bug) in the season left. To not back our team would be

a grave mistake. Go Canes........Forever!

Well said....

I still don't get the people who are launching these preemptive complaints about Maurice's "low scoring defensive hockey" and "dump and chase approach". Isn't that what we saw for the better part of this season under Laviolette? I understand that things can always get worse, but at least let us be treated to a 3 game losing streak featuring some really bad hockey before declaring Mo 2.0 the same failure as the previous version.

We can't say Lavi didn't have his chances. Two seasons, no play offs.

When Mo was here before, the talent level wasn't what it is now.

American football analogy:

1. If you have big, fast players, it doesn't matter what kind of style you play

2. If you small, fast players, you play a finess game.

3. If you have big slow players, you play a power game

4. If you have small, slow players, see #1

As I recall the Canes did not have the horses to play any other system and be decent than the style Mo employed. BTW Those who want the forwards to get back and help out on defence will not miss Jeff O'Neill.

I'm interested to see how he will be with the skill level he has now. Mo has said the dump and chase is out. I expect more than anything the players are glad of that. Young men who have spent a lifetime developing their game, learning to stick handle, shoot, deke, etc., could not be happy squandering their talent, playing an Americanized dump and chase game.

I don't expect to see 3 Canes on the boards deep mucking it out and setting us up for odd man rushes. It's hard to get back on D from the corners. I expect to see the talented players blossom. I also don't expect to see 5 in the box EVEN IF it's what we see a lot of.

I understand that things can always get worse, but at least let us be treated to a 3 game losing streak featuring some really bad hockey before declaring Mo 2.0 the same failure as the previous version.

Well here we are just barely into day two of Mo 2.0 and we haven't seen a win yet. I think it's time to give the Canes a fresh moniker for JR's idea of a fresh start. Here's one I trotted out earlier today on another board, paying homage to the Detroit bailouts and the Karmanos connection:

Mo-Town and the Retreads. It seems just perfrect for the second time around club.

Then I got to thinking the captain could take the new lead, so it could be "MoTown and the Hot Rod"

I'll be there to see how the Canes handle this change against the Pens. Thanks to the Rangers for taking them into overtime. Could that wear them down enough to give us a strong third period?

Buckeye

First, I do not have to defend my loyalty to the Canes to anyone on this board. I have been a STH for 11 years and was the 43rd person to buy season tkts when the team came to NC. I have missed a total of 12 games in 11 years and I stay to the end of games even if it is excruciatingly painful.

Next season I will keep 2 of my 4 seats because I simply love hockey. However, I am not a dumbass who likes to be taken for a ride as apparently you do. When people make stupid decisions and dumb mistakes they should be held responsible for their actions. This was both a stupid and dumb decision and the only way I can impact that is by not voting with my dollars.

So, if you want to continue along for the ride and make the Canes management believe that they do no wrong, and worse that their fan base will stick with them whatever, go for it. I am sure you and your pals will enjoy the more unobstructed view.

how can you seriously say "This was both a stupid and dumb decision and the only way I can impact that is by not voting with my dollars" Mo hasn't even had a chance yet and everyone is saying this is such a stupid decision. Maybe so, but say that after the guy has been given a shot. I hope we go on a ten game swing here and all you haters eat your words. Im sure you wont be saying such a stupid move then will you?