The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Apparently I have woken up in hockey bizzaro land. No one that watched the Canes in Mo's last year here could possibly be thinking "let's give Mo a chance." I can't take another season of watching all three forwards jammed into one corner, trying to cycle and stick handle within 15 feet of each other, while the pointmen are standing by idle, their only function to throw the puck back into the corner to the three forwardfs to start the "Mo'cycle" all over again. I can still hear the chants of MO MUST GO and definitely remember fans calling 850 the buzz saying they almost wished the Canes would lose a few more if that's what it took to get Mo out of Raleigh. If you thought the Canes don't shoot enough now and cycle the puck too much...WATCH OUT! Under Mo they will shoot EVEN LESS and cycle the puck TWICE AS MUCH! If your house was on fire, would you douse it with water or lighter fluid? Obviously JR has picked the lighter fluid. If I were the Caps, I'd be giggling like morons by now because it's obvious to me JR has officially thrown in the towel. There is NOTHING anyone could possibly say to make me think bringing Mo back is a positive thing.

If I see the Dump and Chase, I will dump my season tickets. This was a bad move, it won't sell seats. I do not anticipate playoffs this year.

Well what's kept you this far into the season? Dump and chase has been a pretty popular option for the team thus far.

Tomorrow night vs. Penguins -- first goal by the Pens, everyone in the arena stands up a YELLS -- "Mo Must Go"! Let's give him a real, warm welcome back. Also, if this is ture, I give up my season tickets next year -- I am an 11 year season ticket holder.

More room for me to buy them. Thanks!

Okay, I just realized the purpose of bringing Mo back. Follow my steps here...

1. Rutherford decides change must be made.

2. Rutherford knows that coaching change may not be the answer, but that it is easier than replacing 25 players.

3. Rutherford knows that Francis is the guy he wants behind the bench.

4. Ronnie isn't sure that coaching is for him.

5. Rutherford cuts deal with Francis, giving him actual control of the team.

6. Rutherford brings back "friend" Maurice to be figurehead coach.

There are four possible scenarios from here:

The team wins and Francis likes coaching: Maurice looks like a savior, JR gives his friend a great referral to another club, and Francis steps into the catbird's seat.

The team loses and Francis likes coaching: Maurice gets the quick exit and Francis slides in the the head spot.

The team wins and Francis doesn't want to coach: Maurice has led the turnaround and stays on as head man with much goodwill. Francis returns to GM duties.

The team loses and Francis doesn't want to coach: Mo gets the door (and here's the key, Rutherford doesn't have to commit fanbase suicide by firing our Hall of Famer), Francis goes back to the press box, and we start fresh next season.

Exactly what I thought after the shock and nausea wore off. It

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Some posters need to take a chill pill. We knew Lavi was on the hot seat and you'd have to be a fool to not think a return of Maurice was possible, so you had to have prepared yourself in some fashion for that possibility, regardless of your personal opinion of the guy. But that was 4 years ago, give him a chance ;)

I was listening to the XM Radio NHL Channel today and they made the comment that Maurice was hired as an interim for the season. Who knows what will happen? Give Mo his chance and we will see....And let's hope this turn of events has an effect on the players to fulfill their potential and bring us, at the very least, a winning season relatively free of heart attack inducing games where we either come from behind or barely win in the last few minutes!

I don't understand you guys. Dumping your season tickets? My dear...

Let me tell you something: I'd give a lot to have the possibility to be at the RBC centre and watch the canes, no matter what coach is behind the bench there. The canes are "my" team, and they have been for years now, and that won't change.

Of course, there's times when I'm pissed off, disappointed by their play, and so I was very often within the last month. Then I come here, to people who at least understand how I'm feelin (cuz' here in germany I seem to be a lonely caniac), and get some steam off. I tell that it wasn't fun to watch this team, that they were playin bad and so on, which was true when I was writing it down. But guess what? On the next Canes game, I'll get up again, on 1am at night over here, and watch the game to the very end, despite the fact that i gotta get up for work on 7:30 am, or my girlfriend is like rolling her eyes when I get up at night and leave her alone. Then I'm sittin alone in my living room, wearing my canes jersey and cheer for this team, like I always wanna do, no matter if it's Lavi or Maurice who's behind the bench, cuz' if one thing's for sure, then it's that both would try their freakin best they can do to get this team goin, to get "my" team goin, and be successful.

I remember years ago, when I couldn't even watch the games, I was sitting in my living room as well, listening to Chuck on internet Radio all night, cheering for Francis, Kapanen, O'Neill, and it was Paul Maurice who was behind the bench, leading this team to it's first stanley cup finals, so what?

I'll give this a try and welcome Paul back on this team, JR has made some gret decisions all the way, and made this a great team in a "secondary hockey market" over the past 10 years, so I'll trust him in this matter as well.

LET'S GO CANES, and...GO GO CANIACS, I wanna hear you cheering and yelling as loud as it's gonna get tonight, I'll be with you over here! :)

Let me tell you something: I'd give a lot to have the possibility to be at the RBC centre and watch the canes, no matter what coach is behind the bench there. The canes are "my" team, and they have been for years now, and that won't change.

Of course, there's times when I'm pissed off, disappointed by their play, and so I was very often within the last month. Then I come here, to people who at least understand how I'm feelin (cuz' here in germany I seem to be a lonely caniac), and get some steam off. I tell that it wasn't fun to watch this team, that they were playin bad and so on, which was true when I was writing it down. But guess what? On the next Canes game, I'll get up again, on 1am at night over here, and watch the game to the very end, despite the fact that i gotta get up for work on 7:30 am, or my girlfriend is like rolling her eyes when I get up at night and leave her alone. Then I'm sittin alone in my living room, wearing my canes jersey and cheer for this team, like I always wanna do, no matter if it's Lavi or Maurice who's behind the bench, cuz' if one thing's for sure, then it's that both would try their freakin best they can do to get this team goin, to get "my" team going, and be successful.

I remember years ago, when I couldn't even watch the games, I was sitting in my living room as well, listening to Chuck on internet Radio all night, cheering for Francis, Kapanen, O'Neill, and it was Paul Maurice who was behind the bench, leading this team to it's first stanley cup finals, so what?

I'll give this a try and welcome Paul back on this team, JR has made some gret decisions all the way, and made this a great team in a "secondary hockey market" over the past 10 years, so I'll trust him in this matter as well.

LET'S GO CANES, and...GO GO CANIACS, I wanna hear you cheering and yelling as loud as it's gonna get tonight, I'll be with you over here! :)

wow a great fan. i know everyone is going green and recycling, and the canes are doing that too. JR is re-hiring his "best friend". politics yes i can see that, but the man has the most wins with our team. Lavs wasnt getting the team to be where they need to be. they have alot of unneeded stress put on them. from themselvs and alot of the people who are superfans when we win and hateful when we dont. i too wanted to see lav go. i too wanted a coaching change. francis has been iffy on the coaching thing. JR needed someone he could trust to come in and tweak the team. Lets give Mo the chance to be different, to be better. I may not like this idea, but we dont have to like it, as fans we support our team no matter what. im a 1st yr sth and ill continue to get my season tix, no matter what. i love this team, and i love going to games. JR may be crazy, but crazy just might be what we need. plus toronto is paying his severance, and were not paying him anything, so if this dont work for us this year i can see a new coach next year and MO is free. its like test driving a car. you like it you buy it, you dont you take it back. same thing.

The Canes sit in 8th place in the conference, 1 point ahead of the Sabres. Our leading scorer, Whitney, is 91st overall in scoring. Our powerplay is o-for-ever and JR's short term solution is to hand the team to Mo who rode the Canes in his final year into an abismal cycling nightmare. Lets not forget almost the entire fanbase turning against him, losing the respect of the players and literally being ridden out of town on a rail as fast as possible. The answer, give the team back to Mo so he can act as a mentor to Ronnie who doesn't even know if he wants to coach. I'm sorry, but if I pay money to watch the team choke on it's own mismanagement, then I will boo the power play when it makes 2 passes too many and won't shoot, I will boo when I see millionaires coast after the puck or do the dump and watch the other team chase, or give up the first goal for what could be the 11th straight game. The hiring of Mo, in my opinion, is nothing but a gut punch to any real Canes fan, especially those that have been watching since the Greensboro days and had to live through Mo version 1.0. Welcome to Mo 2.0. How long before Pavel Brendl comes back? Might as well just fire Stormy and bring Cappy Bear out of retirement. (If your a true hockey fan in Raleigh, you'll know who Cappy Bear was...)

Aside from Mo's previous firing, the thing that worries me most is that he didn't have to go back to work right now.

Getting paid to play golf wasn't too bad of a deal. Is the guy hungry enough to get it done?

Actually, to me that's one minor nugget I think that can be looked at positively. Mo, as you state, did not have to come back to work, he would be paid the same whether he's coaching or not. Further, he knows he left the fans here with a sour taste. Third, he knows if he fails here that will really be a big thorn to him ever getting an NHL shot again.

So, he must be extremely confident and motivated to have accepted this position and should give his best efforts.

Now, let us pray....

You ever think this team may need to play a dump and chase style now. Think about it. Old age, mounting injuries and skill just don't warrant the fast pace style that 05-06 brought. Dump and chase will work if you can get your forwards to be physical and forecheck. I don't know how the rest of the year will play out, but lets just wait and see. If another season passes with no post season play, Karmanos will then have to evaluate the organizational depth chart.

Why do the fans want to dump season tickets because of Mo ? If I was lucky enough to have tickets I would dump them because a talented team missed the playoffs two years straight, and were well on their way to making it three years. Lets hope the players respond with an improved effort.

To the people that are bashing the fans that say they'll dump their tickets....is it so hard to understand their frustration? Perhaps if you shelled out good $$ every freaking year in advance for a team, then came to every game only to watch the guys mail it in, you would. Or maybe you DO shell out good $$ -- well get this: some people don't like to waste their money. Some people are afraid, that's all. They remember what it was like THE FIRST TIME Mo was here and they do not want a repeat performance. This doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you -- you watch the games on TV and call yourself a fan, so why can't they?

Also, it's possible to support a team and NOT the coach or GM. Anybody who pays for a ticket in the RBC center tonight has the right to boo whoever they want. Disliking the coaching move and supporting the team are not mutually exclusive.

Also, it's possible to support a team and NOT the coach or GM. Anybody who pays for a ticket in the RBC center tonight has the right to boo whoever they want. Disliking the coaching move and supporting the team are not mutually exclusive.

Regardless of the past, the almost points of pride statements of booing the coach in his first game strike me as being as strange as the decision to bring him back.

To the people ...

You are correct that if you spend your money you can cheer or 'Boo' anyone you like. But think about what you are saying. If I was on the team and heard people 'boo'ing when we hit the ice, I would think they were referring to the team. Support means "Aiding the cause or policy or interests of."

So when you are boo'ing tonight, think if you are REALLY supporting the team or not.

Just my .02 cents. :)

You are correct that if you spend your money you can cheer or 'Boo' anyone you like. But think about what you are saying. If I was on the team and heard people 'boo'ing when we hit the ice, I would think they were referring to the team. Support means "Aiding the cause or policy or interests of."

So when you are boo'ing tonight, think if you are REALLY supporting the team or not.

Overall, the team should be booed. remember, in a way, we are paying their salaries and they are not performing.

Of course, there's times when I'm pissed off, disappointed by their play, and so I was very often within the last month. Then I come here, to people who at least understand how I'm feelin (cuz' here in germany I seem to be a lonely caniac), and get some steam off. I tell that it wasn't fun to watch this team, that they were playin bad and so on, which was true when I was writing it down. But guess what? On the next Canes game, I'll get up again, on 1am at night over here, and watch the game to the very end, despite the fact that i gotta get up for work on 7:30 am, or my girlfriend is like rolling her eyes when I get up at night and leave her alone. Then I'm sittin alone in my living room, wearing my canes jersey and cheer for this team, like I always wanna do, no matter if it's Lavi or Maurice who's behind the bench, cuz' if one thing's for sure, then it's that both would try their freakin best they can do to get this team goin, to get "my" team goin, and be successful.

Awesome post Portisfreak. Same as the team must shake off a loss, so do the fans. Hope you get to see 'em up close someday!

If any of you are bemoaning the return of the "dump and chase", just plug in any tape/dvd of any game played the last couple of years and enjoy a good helping of the "dump and chase". You guys are worrying about it coming back when it's been here all along. That by itself is not a reason to dislike this move.

To the people that are bashing the fans that say they'll dump their tickets....is it so hard to understand their frustration? Perhaps if you shelled out good $$ every freaking year in advance for a team, then came to every game only to watch the guys mail it in, you would. Or maybe you DO shell out good $$ -- well get this: some people don't like to waste their money. Some people are afraid, that's all. They remember what it was like THE FIRST TIME Mo was here and they do not want a repeat performance. This doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you -- you watch the games on TV and call yourself a fan, so why can't they?

You're right. You all have every right to do whatever you see fit. Want to dump your tickets? Go ahead. You want to boo the coach and the team? Go ahead. You want to bring inflammatory posters? That's your choice. However, it is our choice to find it all to be over-dramatic. You want to support a team, but you don't want to support the coach. I understand that. But how is showing up to boo, and then dumping your tickets supporting the team? To me, personally, all these people who are saying these things sound like children throwing a tantrum. They won't go because they don't like the coach. They won't go because the team won't win. They won't go because their favorite player got traded. They won't go because (insert reason here). I'm sorry, but that is just ridiculous. If you are a fan of this team, be a fan and show some support and respect. ESPECIALLY if you don't like the coach. Then the Canes need us as fans more than ever. I was raised to think that booing the team is not a classy thing to do. I don't have to like what is going on, but personally I find booing to be disrespectful (unless it's against the zebras, of course!).

And I was around last time holding season tickets, so I know how bad it was and how bad it could be. I remember the final game before the lockout and how the fans were booing the team. I have never been more embarrased in all my life, and I don't get embarrased easily. I remember watching Kevin Weekes break his stick over the crossbar. The guys don't need us to make them feel bad because I'm sure they already feel bad enough as it is. You can see it clearly in their faces each time they lose. They beat themselves up enough. I'm not going to add insult to injury. I'm also willing to give Mo a shot. Everyone deserves another chance. It may not work out, but I'd rather try and stay positive than have the sky is falling attitude that 75% of fans on here have.

You can call me naive, and ask what it would take for me to finally have had enough from the guys. My answer is and always will be, there is nothing that could make me hate the Canes or turn my back outside of the boys and the staff issuing personal statements telling us all to go away and that they don't appreciate us. Outside of something personal like that, I don't see myself giving up on the Canes. Then again, I'm personally a fan of the sport and not just the team, so I'll enjoy going to the games whether we win or lose. It's just better when we win! :)

I don't mean this whole thing to be directed at you. It's not. It's directed to all of the fans who are coming across as fickle even if they don't mean to. People called for Lavi's head. They got what they wanted. This is just one more thing to gripe about. I'm realizing that there are some fans who will never be happy unless we have 100% star players and a cup in our hands every single year. Not saying that is you, but just saying that those people are out there.

Regardless of the past, the almost points of pride statements of booing the coach in his first game strike me as being as strange as the decision to bring him back.

I couldn't have said it better. I don't think anyone should take pride in getting to boo the coach or the team. Why spend your money to come boo?

Didn't Maurice take us to the Stanley Cup Finals also? I'm sure back then he was the best thing since sliced bread. Yes, he was terrible after that but so has Lavs since the cup. And yep we did WIN with Lavs but what would everyone say in 3 years if we were to recycle Peter and bring him back? Probably the samething most everyone is saying about Paul. So like i have have said in earlier posts ,its not my 1st choice for a new coach (and i have no idea whom i would hire if i was in that position) but if you think about it Maurice has a shot to either become a coach whom was rehired to right his old ship or probably end his chances to ever become a head coach again. That to me is alot of incentive to a fairly young coach to make a name for himself in the NHL. I too hope he has learned more and is a much better coach than he was when he left here. You would think that anyone that is or was a head coach in the NHL knows the game pretty well. This will most likely be a make it or break it for Maurice so lets hope for everyones sake that its a Make it. So now its also up to the players to get their act together and play like they are capable of playing. I'm sure alot of tose guys feel bad that they cost their coach and a friend his job. Plus the fact that the old coach is gone and the players might be the next ones on the chopping block. So if they like it here they will also have to step up their games or they may end up moving their families to another city. It seems like everyone that comes here wants to stay, that being said maybe the Canes as a whole will come together at move forwards in a positive direction!!!( please,please,please)!!! ;)

If any of you are bemoaning the return of the "dump and chase", just plug in any tape/dvd of any game played the last couple of years and enjoy a good helping of the "dump and chase". You guys are worrying about it coming back when it's been here all along. That by itself is not a reason to dislike this move.

LOL! I was wondering why so many people have been complaining about Mo's "Dump and Chase", especially considering we've been doing it A LOT lately. I make at least one remark about it per game. It's not something we are going back to. It's something we've been doing all along. The better argument would be that we are TIRED of doing the "Dump and Chase", and people think that Mo is going to continue that pattern. That is a more sound argument. I'm hoping that Mo is serious about what he said at the press conference, and will be looking to change that up since it isn't working in our system. I would hope he wouldn't just lie about it like that. It would be nice to see that Coach Mo has had some growth and understands our need for change in our style of play, and will be willing to work to figure it out. That's all I'm really hoping for.

I would never and have never booed them...but I will defend anybody that chooses to.

Is there anything more demoralizing as an athlete than being booed by the home crowd? What exactly does it accomplish?

I would think it would be motivation, if you sucked at your job and everyday you walked in the door your co-workers booed you, would that not be motivation to try to do better?