The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

wow im alittle appauled at the reactions of some of you "fans" really???

lets boo mo... thats a good one...

not saying im the biggest mo fan myself we obviously got rid of him years ago for a reason i defenitley dont agree with his coaching style ect but to boo him? no... not so much... i mean at least give him a chance? it has been years and he has quote quote evolved his coaching style... who knows lets see how it goes... its not like we have THAT much too lose... if anything rutherford should be the one booed

but really guys get a grip

I would think it would be motivation, if you sucked at your job and everyday you walked in the door your co-workers booed you, would that not be motivation to try to do better?
Not if you worked at the Post Office.... :P

LOL! I was wondering why so many people have been complaining about Mo's "Dump and Chase", especially considering we've been doing it A LOT lately. I make at least one remark about it per game. It's not something we are going back to. It's something we've been doing all along. The better argument would be that we are TIRED of doing the "Dump and Chase", and people think that Mo is going to continue that pattern. That is a more sound argument. I'm hoping that Mo is serious about what he said at the press conference, and will be looking to change that up since it isn't working in our system. I would hope he wouldn't just lie about it like that. It would be nice to see that Coach Mo has had some growth and understands our need for change in our style of play, and will be willing to work to figure it out. That's all I'm really hoping for.

Well if you think about it, the "Dump and Chase" we have been seeing with Lavi goes a little something like this:

Canes dump. Other team chases, Canes chase other team.

Mo's "Dump and Chase" goes alittle something this:

Canes dump. Canes chase.

I guess it just depends on which "Dump and Chase" people perfer. Maybe they perfer the "Dump and Chase" we've been displaying.

I for one am not a fan of the "dump and chase", but I've noticed too often we have already been doing exactly that. If Mo does continue with the "dump and chase" hopefully he'll actually get the guys to chase. That is atleast a step up from what i've been seeing.

Under Maurice, the Leafs scored 483 goals over two seasons. The Hurricanes scored 491 during that timespan under Laviolette. A difference of 8 goals total over two seasons. Yet somehow Maurice is some boring trap coach and Laviolette is playing exciting hockey?

It was intersting to read the N&O this morning...

Lavi says his goodbyes and leaving the locker room...the players are by them selves and Brindy starts speaking up about doing better and playing harder for the next coach(the article says they did not know who).....then Maurice walks through the door.

Man if I could have been a fly on the wall or seen inside some of his former players heads.

Under Maurice, the Leafs scored 483 goals over two seasons. The Hurricanes scored 491 during that timespan under Laviolette. Yet somehow Maurice is some boring trap coach and Laviolette is playing exciting hockey?

yep, Lavi coaches to win, Mo not to lose in regulation. We were at our best when Lavi was able to roll three scoring lines. Having sat thru both, Lavi's was always a lot more fun to watch.

Brindy should have been gone before Lavi, that would have sent a tougher message especially if we traded him for picks. These guys need to grow a set and play the game instead of just showing up for a paycheck.

Well if you think about it, the "Dump and Chase" we have been seeing with Lavi goes a little something like this:

Canes dump. Other team chases, Canes chase other team.

Mo's "Dump and Chase" goes alittle something this:

Canes dump. Canes chase.

I guess it just depends on which "Dump and Chase" people perfer. Maybe they perfer the "Dump and Chase" we've been displaying.

I for one am not a fan of the "dump and chase", but I've noticed too often we have already been doing exactly that. If Mo does continue with the "dump and chase" hopefully he'll actually get the guys to chase. That is atleast a step up from what i've been seeing.

and maybe, just maybe, some of us want to see the puck skated into the offensive zone, possession retained and a scoring chance. just like...hmmm every other fan of every other NHL team IS seeing!!

"dump and chase" DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE.... face it, it used to work when defensemen were the slowest, least skilled, guys on the ice back in the 80's, not so anymore...

Of note, has anyone other than me noticed that Mo will not surely have a contract after this season and that Ron Francis has the title of "associate head coach" vs. assistant? what does this mean? In all likelyhood it means that next year the coach will be... you guessed it.... Ron Francis, and we can look forward to more "dump and chase" and a truly powerless offense that NEVER keeps the puck in their own end for longer than it takes a skilled defenseman to pass the puck away to an open winger and an odd - man breakaway.

Actually, to me that's one minor nugget I think that can be looked at positively. Mo, as you state, did not have to come back to work, he would be paid the same whether he's coaching or not. Further, he knows he left the fans here with a sour taste. Third, he knows if he fails here that will really be a big thorn to him ever getting an NHL shot again.

So, he must be extremely confident and motivated to have accepted this position and should give his best efforts.

Now, let us pray....

I agree completely. Mo didn't have to lift a finger to get his check. Coming back to Carloina clearly shows he prefers coaching hockey at the NHL level to playing amateur golf. By coming back here, he is risking his entire future Hockey career. Failure now with the talent this team offers him would cast him into the NHL dustbin. He has to succeed, and we will all love him for it if he does.

To me, this echoes JR's decision to pick up Samsonov off of waivers last year. That washed up, has been came into Caniac nation and set us all on fire. I sure hope Mo can do the same.

Just keep sticking it to us Postal Workers. Remember, we know where you live.

No you don't or else I wouldn't be getting other peoples mail!! LOL

If there were more booing the world would be a better place, and maybe we can add some hitting an kicking too. (oh, sorry I forgot ) *Sarcasm*

Well, there will be plenty of Penguins and Flyers fans in the building over the next few days if you're willing to try that approach ;)

Seriously now, I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this whole "dumping the season tickets" thing is just so childish and immature. Whoever compared it to a temper tantrum thrown by a spoiled kid has hit the nail right on the head. You cannot get a refund for your tickets. Yes, you can choose not to use them, you can sell them for penny on a dollar or give them away, you can cut them or tear them into hundreds of little pieces and mail them back to the org, you can ceremoniously burn them in front of the RBC Center, whatever.. but the fact of the matter is that you paid your money and you're stuck with it. Now, when it comes to renewing your season tickets for the next season that's a different story, this is where you have full control of how you're going to respond to the org. and either reward it for things you like by renewing your season tickets or punish it for things you did not like by not renewing. Simple as that. On the other hand, I think for a lot of people this decision may be more influenced by their personal/family finances, professional/social obligations, and things of that nature than being happy or pissed off about who the head coach is or how good the PP is. Now, some of us will (most likely) have the luxury to make that decision based how we like what the org. has done and where we think it's headed, so while the choice is ours, we really have no say until sometime in the late Spring/early Summer of next year.

To me, this echoes JR's decision to pick up Samsonov off of waivers last year. That washed up, has been came into Caniac nation and set us all on fire. I sure hope Mo can do the same.

Well, if that's the case I hope JR's learned from that mistake. So, even if Mo gets us to the playoffs, just dump him at the end instead of signing a 3 year deal :lol:

Brindy should have been gone before Lavi, that would have sent a tougher message especially if we traded him for picks. These guys need to grow a set and play the game instead of just showing up for a paycheck.

I'm afraid you may be right. No one really wants to take this issue on since the fanbase has been thrown a head and an even bigger smoke screen by bringing back the last coach, but I have been droning on recently about this. It all comes down to whether Brindy has it left in him to function as a second line NHL center, or not. And also whether he and Staal have more to give but were holding back vs. being hurt/old.

I would have traded Brindy also, before sacking the coach (based on what happened last year). Why did Staal play so much better when Brindy was out, the coach was the same?

Still that ship has sailed. Now is the time we find out how much of our offensive anemia was due to the coach, and how much was due to the players.

I will point out again though, that this probably was a good move still. By bringing in an established coach who can be temporary, the team gets a fair shot with an experienced coach to show what they (especially Brindy/Sammy/Staal/Eaves) can do this year. This is it for Brind'Amour though, if the +/- and overall play does not turn around, the team can honestly say that they gave one of their historically best players a fair shot, and move him somehow. If we continue to play poorly with the current roster, there may be some tinkering, but I gotta think it's lottery time, after which they will get a new coach.

If Brindy and Staal return to form. We suddenly have a very good team.

Now you are on the "list".

As long as it is the Holly Springs list where you withhold all junk mail for life then I can live with that!! LOL

As long as it is the Holly Springs list where you withhold all junk mail for life then I can live with that!! LOL

Is that where the team has been maillng it in? The Holly Springs list. It is all so clear now.

It will be an absolute shame if people boo Mo. You want to hate JR for the move then have at it.

But to boo Mo is down right dumb. He has done nothing. SUpport him. He wanted a job...with what he called "home".

Welcome him back. Cheer him.

Look out then boo birds, if he wins you will have to eat a lot of crow.

It will be an absolute shame if people boo Mo. You want to hate JR for the move then have at it.

But to boo Mo is down right dumb. He has done nothing. SUpport him. He wanted a job...with what he called "home".

Welcome him back. Cheer him.

I want a job as a hockey head coach but it doesn't mean JR should hire me or the fans should support me. You got to look at the track record and Mo's isn't good (and I don't have one).

My 2 cents.

Coach Mo got this whole thing started in 02. Carolina got on the map and the fans loved it. I for one was hooked by those playoffs.

What Maurice has learned about the style of play in the current rule environment in these past few years is what we're going to find out.

As for the current personnel, I think we can assume JR will make a move if we need it.

I will not be booing our Coach, no matter who he is.

Go Canes

I would think it would be motivation, if you sucked at your job and everyday you walked in the door your co-workers booed you, would that not be motivation to try to do better?

Actually, I would not be motivated to do a better job, I would be motivated to sing a particular country song by David Allen Coe for you. In case you are not a country music fan, that song is "Take this job and shove it." If booing was motivational, teams would encourage their fans to boo, not cheer. I can see it on the Jumbotron now, "All right fans, let's all boo and get the team going."

As a matter of fact, I have been "warned" on this board for "booing" some posts I've read here. This post, TSA and other monitors, is not booing, it is just expressing a counter point of view that booing is motivational. :D

And Lavi's was good when he came here. Mo's was good on his first job. And what coach that is unemployed has a great record. If they had one....they would be employed.

It amazes me that you and others question JR's work before you see it. He has done nothing but put good talent on the ice for us to win. It is not his fault. It is either the coach or the players. He choose coach.

YOu are the same guy that bashed when he picked up Samsonov, they traded for Ruutu, and I am sure others. YOu want everyone to stay in one happy family. All together for one big hug.

I agree that I was surprised and puzzled at Mo's re-hiring. But to question JR's ability to win is stupid. Go be a LA Kings fan, or a Vancouver fan, more than half the teams in the NHL who have not had half the success that our team and GM has had. There is a reason Toronto wants him, becasue he is good.

And for you posts that have mentioned that Mo will bring back the "dump and Chase" and you are all up in arms about that.

Last time I checked, although we were not calling it that, that is exactly what kind of hockey we have played this year. OH......my mistake........we got the dump part down but have not even come close to the chase part. AS someone else said, we play "dump and glide" hockey.

A coach does not stay with the same game plan for his whole career. He has to adapt to the league changes, personnel changes, and other options in the game. I am sure Mo has too.

Caniac 97, i expect to see you "Booing" and asking for JR's head if they make the playoffs. But I am sure you will back down on your opinion based on nothing (or excuse me.....based on 5 years ago) then.

Actually, I would not be motivated to do a better job, I would be motivated to sing a particular country song by David Allen Coe for you. In case you are a country music fan, that song is "Take this job and shove it." If booing was motivational, teams would encourage their fans to boo, not cheer. I can see it on the Jumbotron now, "All right fans, let's all boo and get the team going."

As a matter of fact, I have been "warned" on this board for "booing" some posts I've read here. This post, TSA and other monitors, is not booing, it is just expressing a counter point of view that booing is motivational. :D

so you should cheer for underperforming players..."way to go staal, nice whiff on the back door pass, you'll get em next time, good job staal, way to not backcheck, they dont pay you enough anyway." I'd rather rip my finger nails out than listen to country music.

I tend to boo only when the powerplay has fumbled around maybe 5-6 times and starts looking pathetic on the 7th time. Booing our individual players or coaches is just bad form with the rarest of exceptions. (Say a player who has been playing badly makes a negative statement to the media about the fans). Even Avery praised the fans before starting the latest chapter of "look at what a bad boy I am".

I hope that no one boos Mo tonight, but it will be interesting to see if it happens.

Going with the "What have you done for me lately" mentality. Nice.

If he wins, good. Doesn't mean anything unless the team starts winning consistently. Chances are, he'll get the same 25 games that Lavi got. Lavi had a terrible record after 25 games this year. If Mo can turn the team around, and get a winning record after 25 games, there might be hope for him.

But to judge him on the first couple games is foolish, since there are numerous examples of a team starting well after getting a new coach/GM, and then reverting back to their old ways. Atlanta did it in the 2007-2008 season. They start out 0-6, Hartley gets fired, they start winning games under their new coach, and then they finish the season 27th in the league.

Heck, even Therrien knows about it:

For sure (Carolina) is going to be at their best," Therrien said before Wednesday night's 3-2 shootout loss to the Rangers. "It's not an easy thing for a team to play against a team with a new coach or new management because players want to prove to the new personnel that they should have faith in their game. (Thursday) is going to be the challenge that we face."