The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

I want a job as a hockey head coach but it doesn't mean JR should hire me or the fans should support me. You got to look at the track record and Mo's isn't good (and I don't have one).

I'm sorry but you and your booing will make any difference. More than likely you'll be in the minority. What a great poster

My first reaction was What the Heck is going on here. The more I think about it and the more I read what others are thinking (I mean thinking, not having thoughts) I am beginning to see the wisdom of the move. A change is needed. As someone said good unemployed coaches are not in great abundance so who WOULD be a good replacement?

Paul Maurice is a bright young man with a lot of hockey knowledge. What he did 4 years ago may have been the best he could do to GET TO THE PLAY-OFFS with the players he had. Likely he wasn't hire then to "please the fans with entertaining, but losing, hockey. Without the play-off pay-off, hockey was not a viable business then. We the fans think we know everything about hockey, when in fact we know next to nothing. We are victims of our own intelligence trap. What we think is intelligently put together and sounds so good, we believe it must be true, when in fact few of us can intelligently discuss hockey strategy. "Score more goals and make the play-offs" is not strategy. If you are reading this, ask yourself to describe the different stategies and styles of play. What are the Red Wings doing with the puck vs. what the Canes are doing with the puck. We bring in a Samsonov with tremendous skills and ask him to chase and grind and wonder why he is not being successful this year. He was successful last year BEFORE he was indoctrinated into Lavi's System. Others were inspired to play well with him in a high level system/style of play Sammy learned in Russia.

Corvo was much hotter before he was indoctrinated in Lavi's system. Ruutu seems to be the exception because he is skating around like a mad man, hitting, shooting, assisting and making the players around him better. He is not doing very well in the indoctrination process. ;)

Paul Maurice just might have what it takes to take this group of skilled players and play a very exciting system of hockey. He knows he is interim and will not be trying to "save his job." Surely JR and PK knew what the fan (and perhaps the player) reaction would be, yet they made this choice. Is it a gamble? Yes, but not as great a gamble as hoping that Lavi would suddenly change and shift systems.

Lastly, those of us who are still holding on to our initial "take my ball and go home" reaction could do ourselves and the team a favor and be fans - cheering, supporting fans until this move plays out to be the right move or the wrong move. I envy those of you with crystal balls who already know how this is turning out. You must be getting filthy rich selling short in the stock market and reaping huge profits as your stocks fall and you reap the results. :rolleyes:

JR's decision likely had something to do with their december schedule, playing at the pace they were playing under lavi, they would have been lucky to come out with a .250 winning % this month

Why are we so anguished? Was Lavi so bad? I've pointed out how close he came to being Coach of a dominant team this year. Change a Staal whiff here, and bad pinch there, and this team could easily be sitting with 15 or 16 wins, well out in front of the SE Div. Was Lavi the reason we are not there?

Well now we get see how Mo handles the team. We are anguished because Mo's best full season with the Hurricanes was 38 wins in 2000-'01, with 88 points (note, he had more points 91 in 2001-'02, on fewer wins, 35). Lavi's worst full season with the Hurricanes was 40 wins in 2006-'07, for 88 points. We're disappointed because Lavi got us to the top and couldn't keep us there, so we replace him with a coach who has "the winningest record" but has yet to win as many games as Lavi did in a full season.

The press releases tout Mo's "winningest" record as Hurricanes coach, but don't tell us his 268 Hurricanes wins came with 406 more games he did not win, so he has a 39.7% winning percentage. Lavi won only 167 for the Hurricanes, but did so at a 51.7% winning pace. Just to match Lavi's winning pace, Mo must win, get this, 167 games in a row, exactly the number of wins Lavi earned in his 3 full and 2 partial seasons behind the Canes bench. That would bring Mo's record from 268 wins in 674 games up to 435 wins in 841 games, to match lavi's 51.7% percentage. That's why were are anguished.

edited to reflect Mo's 91 point season. When I first wrote this I was focusing on wins. My bad.

According to Forslund in his blog, Mo was the choice because he and JR will likely be on the same page about how to run the team, something that Forslund was seeing less and less of between Lavi and JR.

Money also had to be a factoring in the decision. By firing Lavi, we've got to pay the remainder of his contract, which I believe comes to around 2 million. So, we pick up a coach that is still getting a portion of his salary from the Leafs in order to ease the money situation

I will certainly not be booing our new coach or team. Thats a low class Philly or NY tradition. I was shocked at first but I am willing to give him a chance as we should all. I hope Mo and the team turn it around. Its not like we are in the basement. Last I checked we were 3 points out of first. Show some class do not boo our new coach.

To the people that are bashing the fans that say they'll dump their tickets....is it so hard to understand their frustration? Perhaps if you shelled out good $$ every freaking year in advance for a team, then came to every game only to watch the guys mail it in, you would. Or maybe you DO shell out good $$ -- well get this: some people don't like to waste their money. Some people are afraid, that's all. They remember what it was like THE FIRST TIME Mo was here and they do not want a repeat performance. This doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you -- you watch the games on TV and call yourself a fan, so why can't they?

Also, it's possible to support a team and NOT the coach or GM. Anybody who pays for a ticket in the RBC center tonight has the right to boo whoever they want. Disliking the coaching move and supporting the team are not mutually exclusive.

Well said Hyena. The true fans are not easily duped by what is going on and plain and simple, MO is a loser. Nothing he as done since leaving the Canes the first would convice and intellingent person otherwise.

I'm still mystified by this move as indicated in an earlier post. I was a Lavi supporter but we all knew a change was coming. I didn

I'm still mystified by this move as indicated in an earlier post. I was a Lavi supporter but we all knew a change was coming. I didn

I'm sorry but you and your booing will make any difference. More than likely you'll be in the minority. What a LOSER!

I surely hope this wasn't a personal remark at me!! That is a no no on this message board.

It was intersting to read the N&O this morning...

Lavi says his goodbyes and leaving the locker room...the players are by them selves and Brindy starts speaking up about doing better and playing harder for the next coach(the article says they did not know who).....then Maurice walks through the door.

Man if I could have been a fly on the wall or seen inside some of his former players heads.

That definitely would have been interesting to see.

so you should cheer for underperforming players..."way to go staal, nice whiff on the back door pass, you'll get em next time, good job staal, way to not backcheck, they dont pay you enough anyway." I'd rather rip my finger nails out than listen to country music.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I need the room for my foot occassionally. ;)

NY, realistically, you can't boo a particular player, the boos occur as booing the team. I stand by my statement, booing does not motivate me.

Regarding your suggestions above, once during an age-group state championship game, I left the team and went to the other side where the parents were and called them around me for a parents' meeting. Without singling out the parents who were loudly criticizing a few of our players' actions on the field, I let them know if the negative comments continued I would pull the team off and forfiet the game and championship.

Yes I would encourage underperforming players, No I would not ridicule a failure to execute, No I would not make insulting comments about a player's salary while he was playing (nor would I ever think that salary had anything to do with a players play.)

To give the parents some idea what it was like to play under pressure with obnoxious criticism yelled at them, I organized an outing where the parents were invited to participate in a pick-up game with their kids. I watched the kids make their parents look like fools. As an illustration I started yelling at the parents while they were trying to play. Some got really pissed at me. We stopped for a moment shortly after and I explained to them that I wanted them to experience first hand what their kids were experiencing when they, the parents, yelled at them and shouted instructions while the kids were trying to play.

Fans have "the right" to yell anything they want or boo if they want as long as the language is appropriate for general public listening. Does that make it an effective thing to do? Does that make it something to model for the younger fans? Is there any justification for boorish behavior? I don't think so but you are entitled to your opinion on that.

I am considering looking for another seat to get away from one obnoxious "fan" who, by actual count, yelled in a very disparaging tone "come on, guys!" 57 times last game I attended. (My wife did the counting, trying to make it humorous so I wouldn't bust a blood vessel or something.)

So, booing and loud player criticism not only is not effective but is annoying to those around you who have to listen.

Quite honestly if it's not C97 telling him to grow a set then it better be Maurice. His leadership has been all talk this year, alot of things he needs to do, verbally acknowledges needing to do them and then a whole lot of not doing.

It's been going on since 2006, he's got a ring on his finger and I think the man is satisified with it. I would be to if I was his age, I think I might have thought about retiring after a cup win that late in my career. It comes down to this team plays as hard and as inspired as he is. When Brindy is a man on a mission this team is a special ops unit of snipers and engineers. When Brindy is anything less then that we look like the little giants running into each other. I have seen our players run into each other more in 30 games then I saw it happen in 9 years combined.

I bet we win tonight, the 5 people who are happy about Mo tell us to eat crow. January comes and its a new low when the sparkle sparkle, shiny shiny of the new coachs wears off. I'll say the same thing I said in 03 the team played to Francis's enthusiam and Ronnie was really dismayed we let a cup go through our fingers and he showed it. The rest of the team played like it to.

I've seen Mo's sytem and nothings changed, no one wanted him for a reason. You cant win by playing defense in this league anymore, the 2003 canes weren't talented at all. But you cant tell me the Leafs didn't have the utilities to be a good team and he floundered with them to blowing games left and right in the third period. Exactly what he did in Carolina, guys we beat the leafs alot of times in the 3rd. It was like watching the Canes V Canes with Mo behind the other bench.

You all have already seen JR's suggestion to hold the lead in the 3rd fail and Lavi quit doing it and that obviously pissed off JR. So when the yes man maurice takes over and we start losing games in the 3rd from failed holding the lead attempts we'll all reconvene here to complain about the same issues.

Quite honestly if it's not C97 telling him to grow a set then it better be Maurice.

But the thing is, Maurice will say it to thier faces, probably in those terms or worse. If Caniac 97 is going to be "Big Man on the Message Board" and call someone out as sackless, he should be willing to say it to their face.

Hey 97--how about you meet me tonight after the game? We'll meet down by the player's exit so you can tell the players to their face to 'grow a set'. In fact, maybe you should start with Brind'Amour since you think he should have been gone first. Maybe your thoughtful insight will be just what they need to play better.

So he can't call you a loser. Maybe he should just tell you to grow a set intead? Cardiac Cane? Care to meet us at the player's exit?

You don't know me so be careful what you wish for and yes i am man enough to go toe to toe with Brindy, I don't back down to anyone. There are rules on this message board about name calling to other members. First rule of combat is to know your opponent.

But the thing is, Maurice will say it to thier faces, probably in those terms or worse. If Caniac 97 is going to be "Big Man on the Message Board" and call someone out as sackless, he should be willing to say it to their face.

just about everyone here calls someone out at sometime, whats the difference? It's a forum, it happens.

Hell you called C97 out go meet em now.

I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say to someone's face, just ask my ticket rep!!

just about everyone here calls someone out at sometime, whats the difference? It's a forum, it happens.

Hell you called C97 out go meet em now.

Lord knows I am easy enough to find!!

I love all this tough talk on a web forum.....My avatar can beat up your avatar. It is great!

Mines got yours beat easily ;)

This thread has seriously deteriorated. I was impressed yesterday that with over 30 new members registering and over the course of 26 pages and 12 hours, how civil things remained.....until now. Either get this back on topic or it will be closed. Maybe its run its course.

I actually find myself very curious about tonights game. Change (almost change in this case) can be so exciting.

Were going to win, I mean if this team comes out uninspired after this we should dig a 6 foot grave because someone doesnt have a pulse.