The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

I talked to my ticket rep that knew change was coming but didn't see this coming either and was confused as to why not just promote Rowe.

I talked to my ticket rep that knew change was coming but didn't see this coming either and was confused as to why not just promote Rowe.

The hell with Rowe.

Let him take notes on his notepad and watch Francis work his stuff

I'm with everyone else (it seems) - if the Maurice thing is true, I will be extremely upset. I hate that Lavi had to take the fall for what is going on with the team, but that's coaching in professional sports. But Maurice?? Wow - if true, our season tickets just lost a lot of their appeal...

This is ridiculous! I'm not sure it is even a good idea to fire Lavi much less bring in our own REJECT Maurice. Does JR think firing Lavi will magically turn things around? This is a weak attempt to fix things. Tampa Bay is still struggling after firing their coach. If you are going to change things change them. Don't bring back the past.

Paul Maurice? Unbelievable. I feel for you guys, truly I do. At least when we canned Hartley, we could point to the fact that he had lost the respect of his players. On the bright side, at least you don't have Waddell coaching your team the remainder of the season. ;)

Disclosure: the avid Thrasher fan in me applauds JR's incompetence on this matter, and is completely ecstatic.

That ship has sailed, Toronto has hired Brian Burke.

So they have. I can only guess (hope) that this is JR's way of signaling that the Canes are officially in full-rebuild mode, that Lavi told him to go scratch, and that budget constraints forced him to temporarily take a guy who had gone back to college and was moonlighting in the war room!

I can't believe you guys can't see the genius in Rutherford. It was clear that Lavi's time had come. When we won the Cup, what was the first big successful move that preceded it? That's right. Firing Paul Maurice. You can't fire Maurice without having him employed. Here's to another visit from Lord Stanley!

Does anyone know if any other media outlets will be streaming the press conference? I haven't seen any info on WRAL yet. Unfortunately the IS police at work have blocked the video feeds from this site and the NHL site, but most news media sites I can watch the video feeds on.

IF this is the case, does that also mean McCarthy is gone too?

One can hope. If you ask me, he should have been gone with Maurice the first time.

I can't believe you guys can't see the genius in Rutherford. It was clear that Lavi's time had come. When we won the Cup, what was the first big successful move that preceded it? That's right. Firing Paul Maurice. You can't fire Maurice without having him employed. Here's to another visit from Lord Stanley!

Hall of Fame!!!! :lol::lol:

This is ridiculous.

I would rather have Torts than Maurice. This is stupid. I attended one game in 2002-2003 and refused tickets after that...it was boring as all get out. If they bring back Maurice, I will attend my remaining games but I won't buy any new tickets for this season. I hated Paul Maurice hockey... I know we needed a shakeup, but this is ridiculous.

Does anyone know if any other media outlets will be streaming the press conference? I haven't seen any info on WRAL yet. Unfortunately the IS police at work have blocked the video feeds from this site and the NHL site, but most news media sites I can watch the video feeds on.

Go sit in your car (99.9FM). That's what I am going to have to do.

Mo's system has proved not to work in the new NHL. If you can't win in Toronto, you can't win.

But people, dropping season tickets? Not supporting the team? Be a Caniac, not a fairweather fan.

I hate this, but you better believe I will be cheering for the Canes and Mo Thursday at the RBC.

Hooray! Francis said when Mo got fired that we just lost one of the best coaches in the NHL...shouldn't surprise anyone.

Yeah.... he did say that didnt he

How this surprises anyone, given Rutherfords love of recycling is beyond me. The revolving door that allowed the return of Tanabe, Babchuck, Boulerice, Vasicek, etc. should've been a good indication that he'd do the same thing with coaches given the opportunity.

L

This is ridiculous.

I would rather have Torts than Maurice. This is stupid. I attended one game in 2002-2003 and refused tickets after that...it was boring as all get out. If they bring back Maurice, I will attend my remaining games but I won't buy any new tickets for this season. I hated Paul Maurice hockey... I know we needed a shakeup, but this is ridiculous.

I will always support the players, but I am done with this organization!!!! MAURICE??????????

Everyone is threatening with not going back. Give it a chance, what we had wasn't working.

We will see in 20min.

This Maurice move is really stupefying me. Can anyone - anyone - give me a reasonable guess as to how a team that was ostensible built to score and play in transition is going to respond to a coach who's defining characteristic is to try and prevent any and all scoring by either team?