The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

i dont like this change as much as the next person but i am going to give mo the chance that he deserves. a fresh start if you will.

He had a fresh chance -- in Toronto. The Toronto fans refer to him as an unmitigated disaster.

Are they NUTS? J.R. is the one who needs to go. He has made some good moves, but more blunders. J.R. you just made the Biggest Blunder of all. If this true, the Canes just lost two long time season ticket holders and i want my money back. We paid thousands of dollars for the past few years and now this . We are done.

Mo's system has proved not to work in the new NHL. If you can't win in Toronto, you can't win.

But people, dropping season tickets? Not supporting the team? Be a Caniac, not a fairweather fan.

I hate this, but you better believe I will be cheering for the Canes and Mo Thursday at the RBC.

Precisely. Combine Mo's pre-lock out style with players ill equipped to play that style, and as best I can tell this is a move to try and maximize our potential for drafting John Tavares. That's the only upside I see.

Mo's system has proved not to work in the new NHL. If you can't win in Toronto, you can't win.

But people, dropping season tickets? Not supporting the team? Be a Caniac, not a fairweather fan.

I hate this, but you better believe I will be cheering for the Canes and Mo Thursday at the RBC.

I've been an STH since they came to Raleigh and had mini-plans in Green Acres. I've stuck with them through the worst of times.

But this is more than I can stomach. With Mo behind the bench again it's just not my Canes. I might go to the Penns game to boo Mo, but that's it.

Ok people this is how I think its going down.

I think Maurice comes in, just for this year.

Francis comes in next year, fresh!

If we think about it, players will not want to come here or they will jump ship fast on us, if its goes through this year.

Sure there are better coaches available.

I just think its for THIS YEAR ONLY AND FRANCIS MOVES IN NEXT YEAR!

PS : LOOK FOR A SELLOUT ON THIS GAME LOL

BOUT TIME EH?

If Francis is the plan, why just not have Rowe be the interim?

Why you actually a hire someone not in the organization to be basically an interim?

Think people! Common Sense! We can do it!

This is a pathetic move by an organization that is quickly loosing favor with me. As a season ticket holder since they've been in Raleigh, I'm going to have to seriously consider whether I bother spending any more money on the Carolina Hurricanes. Maurice? Are you freaking kidding me!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I've been an STH since they came to Raleigh and had mini-plans in Green Acres. I've stuck with them through the worst of times.

But this is more than I can stomach. With Mo behind the bench again it's just not my Canes. I might go to the Penns game to boo Mo, but that's it.

oh the love for the coach that took the canes to their first stanley cup finals.. At this point just about any coach is better than Lavi...

oh the love for the coach that took the canes to their first stanley cup finals.. At this point just about any coach is better than Lavi...

You mean Ron Francis, who took over the locker room that year? Yes, I still love Francis.

Let's not forget all the wonderful talent Mo destroyed. The lackluster play. The open revolt by the players after the failed bag skates. Perhaps someone should tell Mo that hooking and holding is now frowned upon, and the left wing lock doesn't work so well without the two-line pass rule, because he seemed to miss that nuance in Toronto.

Ugh...this is brutal. We're struggling on the PP and we bring back Mo? WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING? While with the Leafs, Mo's PP numbers were absolutely dreadful as were the PK numbers. This is such a bad move on so many levels.

yeah Mo took em to the finals pre-rule changes. His system was great then, but now, it is a disaster. Toronto is in a huge mess b/c of him.

Toronto is in a mess because of the moves of former GM John Ferguson Jr. and MLSE. Maurice was coaching Sundin and a team of American Hockey League players the past two seasons.

That being said I don't like the move. But Tavares may be in the cards eh?

Through 5 pages, the best argument for Mo I've seen is my suggestion that he's our best chance to get Tavares. Really makes me look forward to the next 3/4 of a season.

You would think the team would learn from their mistakes, but that would be too logical.

Damn it, couldn't JR have done this in the offseason? Rumor was due to his relationship with DW, he was the guy DW was planning to hire to take over the Thrash.

First, let me say that I'm not exactly defending JR's decision, I'm as shocked as your all are, but come down off the ledge.

We need to remember that the boring Paul Maurice hockey we remember was BEFORE the lockout and rule changes, and that he got us to the playoffs and the Stanley cup finals with teams which were substantially less talented than the roster we have right now. We also had fewer man games lost due to injuries during those years.

Yes, Paul Maurice didn't set the world on fire in Toronto, but he did have a few prima donna's to deal with, and the general circus that that organization is. With the exception of a few players that play like mary's, I don't think we have any real prima donna personalities on our team, and no media circus.

So, when we beat the Penguin's by 3-2 tomorrow night, I'll just remember that under Lavi's system it would have been a 3-5 loss, and I'll feel better.

I hate to see Laviolette go, and as a fan, I think bringing back Maurice totally sucks, but I'd like to think I root for the team rather than the personalities. I cheered for the team when Maurice was coaching it the first time, and maybe - just maybe - the 'Canes will get it together and make it to the finals. That's what I'm looking for.

I cannot believe he brought back MO. Ugh> horrible, horrible.

The ONLY bright spot I can see is that we used to have an ok power play under Maurice and a great kill - compared to an absolutely awful power play and an ok kill under Lavs.

IT's bad enough being a full STH, trying to muster up enough desire to go to the games under Lavs - knowing we have little to no chance of winning any games and realizing you've just dropped a wad of money on "nothing".

It's going to be even harder tring to get fired up to attend any games under Maurice.

I sure hope I'm wrong!!!

Ok, so this is not the scenario we all were looking for, but I am by no means jumping ship on this team. If Mo is re-hired, the guys will need us, the fans, more than ever to have their backs. With all we've been through in the past few years, I feel we can get through this as well.

Honestly, I'm with everyone who is hoping that Ron Francis is being primed for the coaching position in the future.

I'm sticking with the guys because they are a hot mess right now, and I love a good Cinderella story. Plus, no matter who is behind the bench, they are still our Canes. If you are going to be a fair weather fan, you aren't needed in the first place. I'll continue to get season tickets and to buy additional tickets to boot. Regardless of the outcome of this press conference, I still love and care for this team. Who else is with me?

MAURICE!?!?!?!?!? I still can't believe it. This is the saddest day in the history of the Carolina Hurricanes if management thinks bringing in Maurice (even on an interim basis) is anything other than a total disaster from a style of play perspective. Also, the PR perspective is ugly as well. I'm dumbstruck. Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable. Are we throwing in the towel on this season already? Where is this franchise headed?