The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

If I heard correctly, they said that they hope to keep this coaching team intact next year. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it will stay with Mo as head coach. Maybe next year the roles will be flip-flopped with Francis as head coach and Mo as associate head coach. Same coaching team would be intact, but the roles would be reversed. I'm just keeping a positive head here. Honestly, I'd be okay with the situation if the roles were reversed. Perhaps that is what will happen next season?

"Everyone knows he's my good friend..."

Dear Mr. Rutherford:

Just because you are friends with a guy doesn't mean you should hire him to coach our hockey team. I wish you had considered the other coaching options available to us before knee-jerk hiring your good buddy back. I have nothing against Mr. Maurice personally but I don't think he is the best fit for our team and our style of play. I didn't drive to Greensboro for two years to have you drive our team into the ground with bad management decisions.

Sincerely,

A Very Ticked Off Founding Partner

im looking forward to mo being coach after watching him in the interview.

he sounds like he knows whats we need to do to make this team achieve its goals

lets give him a chance!

good luck Mo!

for the team's sake i hope that this works out. i think all fans can agree that they want to see the team be successful no matter who is behind the bench (or on the bench for that matter). if Mo is the one that can get this team back where they should be, then i say great let's go for it. but i am just not sure that he is the guy who can do it.

JR has been GM since what 1994. Since that time this team has made the post season 4 times, made it past the first round twice, made it to the finals twice winning one. From the 2001-2002 runner up finnish, this team has made the playoffs once winning it all. Since them they have failed to make the post season. So in 14 years this franchise has missed post-season play in 10 of them. Maybe Rutherford should be the one who should be getting replaced.

I agree With you 100%. I do beleive JR is the problem.

lets give him a chance!

good luck Mo!

Yeah well...what else could we do. Rent Groundhog's Day?

This is a differnet team than MO had. There is only a few players still here. And they liked Mo.

Why Nolan. What has he done. NOTHING. Maybe there is a reason that no one....no one... has picked him up. If he is such a great coach why is he not employed.

Everyone who is bashing Mo right now needs to realize times can change. He said it during the press conference that the times have changed in the league. He isn't an idiot, he knows things needs to be changed in terms of his old style of play. He understands the new style of play. The problem with Lavy is that he never adjusted his play and as the league evolved.

This is great, I think this will fire the team up and The Penguins are going to see what the Hurricanes are really are.

You cant possibly remember anyone on this forum saying losing MO was a bad idea...

People were being ejected from the building for refusing to put away Mo Must Go signs...

This is true, but there were plenty of fans who really liked Mo, as well. I remember talking to a lot of people that year who were sad to see him go even if they realized it was time for our team to part ways with him. I'm not defending Mo, I'm just stating that it wasn't a unanimous negative voice.

I'm willing to give him a chance for two seconds before passing too much judgment. If the Canes rally back from this and do well under Coach Mo, people will really be eating crow. Including my kind of reluctant self. :]

I remember you all calling for JR's head when:

They got rid of Gerber

They got rid of MO

When they got Ruutu

When the got Samsonov

WHen they traded Cole

When they got Reechi

When they got Weight

Seemed they all have worked out.

RELAX.

So the coaching staff is:

Tom Rowe

Kevin McCarthy

Ron Francis

Paul Maurice

Tomorrow nite will be interesting to see............

Yeah well...what else could we do. Rent Groundhog's Day?

no we could go out there tomorrow night and boo the hell out of mo or we could out there give him a chance knowing this is a new year and a new nhl and cheer him and show him we have his back and we are the fans that he remembers as the loudest in the nhl!

kind of a side note but did anyone else get the subtle digs JR made at some of our players? "there are only a handful of players playing up to our expectations" hmmmm i'm thinking this might not be the only change heading our way.

lets give him a chance!

good luck Mo!

I think this is an absurd move...but I do agree with your comment about the interview. Maurice is making some good points on the style of play, how the NHL changed post lockout and how it has changed again as we're farther from the lockout. And how a certain style (e.g. Lavi's) was very successful post lockout but with the "hybrid" game as he called it now, a beefier game (Anahiem, Detroit) has seen greater success. His comments about the passion of the Canes fans and arena noise were a nice touch too. All in all, I will give him credit for making a nice re-introduction.

They got rid of Gerber

They got rid of MO

When they got Ruutu

When the got Samsonov

WHen they traded Cole

When they got Reechi

When they got Weight

RELAX.

So missing the playoffs over half of the time is acceptable? Where is the accountability? Especially since this franchise really only makes money when they make profit from post season games. I guess I should lower my expectations.

"Everyone knows he's my good friend..."

Dear Mr. Rutherford:

Just because you are friends with a guy doesn't mean you should hire him to coach our hockey team. I wish you had considered the other coaching options available to us before knee-jerk hiring your good buddy back. I have nothing against Mr. Maurice personally but I don't think he is the best fit for our team and our style of play. I didn't drive to Greensboro for two years to have you drive our team into the ground with bad management decisions.

Sincerely,

A Very Ticked Off Founding Partner

Its been pretty obvious the past few years that JR like to stick his nose in on the team strategy. now with his friend behind the bench he can run the team the way he wants. Maybe JR will even take a stroll down to the bench for the third period like jerry jones.

They got rid of Gerber

They got rid of MO

When they got Ruutu

When the got Samsonov

WHen they traded Cole

When they got Reechi

When they got Weight

RELAX.

Great post.

I am very upset about this hiring but I also and a big supporter of waiting to see what happens and giving someone a chance.

For those talking about firing JR, well, that makes me laugh. Seems every move he has mad has worked out for us.

Hello. Danny Markov for Justin Williams!

Lets save time now...........

Since the players are not playing well a trade will have to come......

And seeing that we will bash any person that JR trades...becasue they are all our favorites and we "love " them so much....

JR is an idiot for getting rid of "place name here"....fire him.

You people kill me.

Why Nolan? Because he had the Sabres in the cup finals and he made an islanders team with talent equivilant to an AHL team look respectable in the NHL.

Why is Nolan unemployed--1--he's not a yes man and can be irritating to management---2--he had "problems" with Hasek and--3--see number 1--like with the Isle, he wanted an extra year on his contract if Wang wanted to play mostly the young guys--because they would lose, Wang didn't give it to him, Ted still tried to win and Wang fired him anyway.

This is not the direction this team needs to go in. Yes the players were not playing for Laviolette but many of these guys also quit playing for Paul maurice previously. Laviolette is a much better coach and will end up somewhere. I'd have perfered Ted Nolan as our coach.

Just how MANY are you talking about huh? Name the players on this team that played for Mo if you want to back up this statement. I think this list will be less than 4. Off the top of my head I can think of 2, Brind-Amour and Staal. Based on their play of late a coaching change cannot hurt much.

JR needs to rename the team to "Carolina Recyclables".

I agree with firing Lavi, but hiring a Coach that has already failed with the same team is a dumb move.

To be fair, the only players left from the Mo era is Brind'Amour and Wallin. Staal as well, but he only played half a season under Mo.

He says he is keeping the same fast, high speed, attack style we like. Also sounds like Francis is going to be heavily involved on what this team does.

If you ask me, Maurice is a stop gap to get Francis coaching experience. Likely the better available coaches didn't want to temp gig. For Maurice it gets him back into coaching and he can prove himself. For Francis it gets him coaching experience.

I think this is an absurd move...but I do agree with your comment about the interview. Maurice is making some good points on the style of play, how the NHL changed post lockout and how it has changed again as we're farther from the lockout. And how a certain style (e.g. Lavi's) was very successful post lockout but with the "hybrid" game as he called it now, a beefier game (Anahiem, Detroit) has seen greater success. His comments about the passion of the Canes fans and arena noise were a nice touch too. All in all, I will give him credit for making a nice re-introduction.

Yeah, I have to admit that his comments have been really nice. Plus, he has a pretty good sense of humor. He has all the reporters howling. Not that his humor helps the team any, but it's nice to see him being humorous and having a nice walk down memory lane. It's bringing back some good and bad memories for me, as well. Personally, I enjoy keeping pre-lockout and the season that should not be talked about hidden in the far recesses of my mind, but I'll allow this memory trip just once. ;)

Why Nolan? Because he had the Sabres in the cup finals and he made an islanders team with talent equivilant to an AHL team look respectable in the NHL.

Why is Nolan unemployed--1--he's not a yes man and can be irritating to management---2--he had "problems" with Hasek and--3--see number 1--like with the Isle, he wanted an extra year on his contract if Wang wanted to play mostly the young guys--because they would lose, Wang didn't give it to him, Ted still tried to win and Wang fired him anyway.

Nolan lost in the second round to the Flyers in his only post season experience with the Sabres. He was fired due to a dispute with Domick Hasek who was the only reason his team was in the playoffs. Lindy Ruff was coaching Buffalo in 99 two seasons after Nolan was canned.