The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
panama7996

Canes fire Laviolette -replace with Paul Maurice

Then maybe that is why no one wants Nolan. Maybe he is a poision in the locker room.

I think MO took the Canes into the Playoffs while he was here right? Then him and Nolan are even.

News Conference: WHAT A JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR says the players had no confidence and poor team chemistry

JR says MO has matured since leaving Carolina, likening it to attending Harvard or Yale by coaching in Toronto

JR says we gave some games away - DUH! That would be the players doing that

JR says at least this is a "this year" test. How long before a multi-year contract comes around?

JR says possibility of player moves but didn't sound confident that there would be any.

MO talks about consistency. Good, his teams consistency lose. So no change there.

MO talks about the fan base and how loud it was. He's right, it's never been that loud since!

MO talks about the clutching/grabbing style that was can work but that the game is a hybrid of that today. DUH!!!

MO talks about 3 phases - tough schedule in Dec./making friends with the players/no style changes

RF says this is something he wants to try. How nice, I want to try a lot of things in this world too.

JR made this decision and re-hiring MO based on emotions and not based on 'business' (despite what MO says). This organization has become synonymous with the Steinbrenner's from the Yankees and Al Davis with the Oakland Raiders. It also smells of the players running things which is not uncommon with professional sports teams (look at Barry and Tampa).

I do not like the move but will give him the benefit of the doubt.

he cant be any worse then we have been the last 2 weeks or so.

Good luck to him and hope he does well.

Go Canes show some heart

This organization has become synonymous with the Steinbrenner's from the Yankees and Al Davis with the Oakland Raiders.

Good lord, are you serious?

If the Yankees are Apples, the Raiders are Oranges. I think that makes us Trees.

Hey Brian...I do not know about you...but I am willing to give RF the benefit of the doubt. I think he has earned it with his play and organization direction.

Who the #@$^ was Nolan, Lavi, and most coaches before they got theri shots. Mediocore players. But they turned out ok. If RF wants in...I am for it

Hey Brian...I do not know about you...but I am willing to give RF the benefit of the doubt. I think he has earned it with his play and organization direction.

Who the #@$^ was Nolan, Lavi, and most coaches before they got theri shots. Mediocore players. But they turned out ok. If RF wants in...I am for it

I agree. Especially considering that Ron Francis was miles above being a mediocre player.

This is a differnet team than MO had. There is only a few players still here. And they liked Mo.

Why Nolan. What has he done. NOTHING. Maybe there is a reason that no one....no one... has picked him up. If he is such a great coach why is he not employed.

OK, OK, I'm going to be as positive as I can for this one moment. Maybe we make the playoffs. OK, OK that's enough. PK better fire all of them all and start over if they don't make the playoffs because JR has just made this franchise the the laughing stock of the whole league. UNFREAKIN' BELEIVABLE!

NY...last time I checked we have some big boys on the team....Gleason and Corvo were big hitters in previous years and with other teams and seem to have gone away from that. Maybe they just have been held back. Release the hounds.

I'm not happy about this but Paul has been the coach for all of about 45 min and people want to fire him.

He hasn't even had the chance to fart in the locker room yet. Give him a few months.

what bothered me a bit is when Francis said he wasn't even sure if coaching was where he wanted to be.

Why would that be surprising...that's what everyone assumed.

I still can't freaking believe this. I feel like I'm in an alternate reality.

This org and JR both are a joke.

Hey shaved....got to Torontos site...he just got fired from there.... they are all talking about they wish he was still there and that they liked him and thought he was a good coach.

MO had great years here. Why not. Other coaches have come back to other teams and have done well.

I

Wow, a guy has to type quick to keep up with this thread.

Stunned. I really thought the next move should be a shake up trade, thinking back to the end of last year.

I will add this that hasn't been mentioned. They key is STILL Brind'Amour and Staal playing very subpar. At this point I am deeply hoping that both of them and a couple of others had given up on the coach. If that is true, and I wonder if they were asked about playing for Maurice, then these two will come out like wildfire and start playing like the stars that they have been.

I do agree that Maurice is saying the right things in the press conference.

It makes sense in this way. If just getting a new face will ignite our underperformers, and the team goes on a roll great. If not, JR can clean house, go for the draft pick, and bring in a new coach next year.

I am very upset about this hiring but I also and a big supporter of waiting to see what happens and giving someone a chance.

For those talking about firing JR, well, that makes me laugh. Seems every move he has mad has worked out for us.

Hello. Danny Markov for Justin Williams!

I am also very upset by this hiring, but I will give Maurice a chance (reluctantly). He did say some good things in the news conference, and I hope that Francis will be a good tempering influence as far as they system of play is concerned. Time will tell.

We'll be at the game tomorrow night, and while I won't boo when Maurice is introduced as head coach (although I do expect a loud chorus...) I sure won't be applauding either.

JR has a great track record ... I hope it continues. I really do.

So this is a Joke right? I mean really, its a joke right please anyone? Getting rid of Lavi was probably a step in the right direction but Maurice isnt qualified to be a stick boy much less the coach AGAIN!!! This Franchise is begining a not so slow death. I see a sale and a move to Canada in the not to distant future.

Why a joke. Explain why?

Becasue he was here before and he had a winning record.

Becasue he went to Toronto and coached one of the toughest teams/cities/markets in the NHL. (Funny Nolan never got a chance there)

Becasue we fired him?

Please. Maybe he is a good coach. Let's see how the team responds before all us desk jocky's put done a man (JR) who has committed his life to hockey and winning.

Yeah, he hired Mo because they are firends and he wanted a buddy to go to lunch. He would throw away his legacy and the organization to have a buddy back. Come on people. Think befoe you say something stupid./

Well, I am expecting a five game willing streak MO!

IF Staal and Brindy are underperforming due to Lavi-fatigue and come back to form, we will go on a major tear. If not, more of the same.

So the coaching staff is:

Tom Rowe

Kevin McCarthy

Ron Francis

Paul Maurice

Tomorrow nite will be interesting to see............

Will there be enough room for all of them to stand behind the bench???? I think JR thought by hiring back Mo that this would be a quick fix, hope he is right but........ Seems like to me Francis is taking a demotion from his current position to assistant coach and if he really didn't want to be coaching why is he doing this now? One thing about this move all players except for two will be tradeable if they don't perform. Have we toss in the towel for this year already??

Mo was fired because he lost respect from our players, how long will it take this time??? I don't care what JR stated I believe that Francis will be the coach for the next new year. If JR had stated that MO was a fill end until the end of this season I believe the players who have had no respect from the start.

It will be interesting to see where coach L. will turn up this year.

I'm feeling good about this. Maurice said the game has changed 3 times since he's been coach, which means he may or may not approach coaching the same way. The main thing here is a "change" has been made. Change is good, it usually works when a team is in the lowest hole possible with confidence and chemistry. Having Ronny by his side is great, brindy, Ronny, Mo, they've all worked together a lot and I'm sure they know what there doing by making this change. JR is good at this stuff, have a little faith and see what happens. don't forget Mo got us to the stanley cup finals. The canes just don't play well for a coach for more than 2 seasons. So maybe we'll get 2 good seasons out of Mo than bring back Laviolette.

any change is good right now for this team. They have the players, they just need new energy in the room and a new look, MO will be fine.