The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
shauniac79

What's missing?

What does everyone think this team is missing in order to make the playoffs?

Points.

You said to have fun with it ;)

Really...I'd start with a new strategy on offense.

The offense is the problem, no more dump and chase, figure out a way to cut across the ice and get quality chances rather than hope every point shot get sin.

Also the forecheck needs to be better, I always see only one Cane in the offensive zone when the defense is ready to bring up the puck and the pressure is weak, they easily get the puck out. In contrast, when canes defense have the puck, the forecheckers make it much harder to get the puck out leading to waaaaay more turnovers.

So it all starts with better forechecking, and zone entry. We have players who can finish and shoot, problem is they rarely get the opportunity to get a clean shot off.

Now to have good forechecking you gotta have forwards who will actually hit and and are defensively smart. A guy like Sutter usually knows how to break up a play, I'd love to see him forecheck with LaRose and see what happens. So basically we need some better defensive forwards as well.

The Canes are using to much youth as their top P Killers --- If they continue to use rookies -- I would say that the HIGH paid players might want to expect to get ---ousted. Roddy and the other non producing guy's should do the team a favor and HANG IT UP!

Really...I'd start with a new strategy on offense.

The offense is the problem, no more dump and chase, figure out a way to cut across the ice and get quality chances rather than hope every point shot get sin.

I agree, even though we're one of the best grinding teams, it doesn't allow our star players to use their talent.

Two elements are missing. I have been watching them play in person since the Greensboro days so I base this on a pretty large population of games.

Heart. The boys need to exhibit more heart, which admittedly is hard to quantify.

Physical Play. Physical play is easy to quantify. If you think back to any stretch or period when the boys played physical, knocking the pther players off their skates, banging on the boards, etc...........the results have been positive. When they are passive, they lose, when they throw their weight around they win....and it takes heart to get in there and bang on the boards.

Heart and Physicality.

Hurricanes need some leadership. Rod has not picked up his team, and Lavi needs helps. 1-30 on the powerplays, that is unacceptable. Canes need to shoot more too, to much passing it around. JUST FIRE! It is so frustrating to watch them and have 1 shot on goal in the first period. You cannot win that way.

With both Brindamour and Cullen coming off major injuries we are very weak at center. The opposition are focusing on Staal with little fear of the other lines which is making it near impossible for him to score. Samsonov requires a very strong center to dish him the puck and Brindy just can't do it on one leg. Cullen looks scared on the ice which is making him very ineffective. Sutter is playing very well at center for us but is not a big points player. I saw this problem coming a mile away in the off season but with players coming off injuries being nearly untradeable and with Karmanous unwillingness to sign free agents little was done to fix the problem.

1) The heart seems to be gone, though I'll admit I saw a big step-up vs Phillie yesterday (late in the game they seemed to really bring it). Eric Staal seemed to have a revelation late yesterday and started throwing his weight around and really hustling. It was refreshing to see.

2) While I hate to say it because he's done so much for this franchise......Roddy needs to give it up. His +- is horrendous, he goes out of his way to avoid a hit and he leads the team in turnovers from my perspective. I've seen great players get to this point and it's hard to let go...but I believe it's time.

3) The dump and chase isn't working. With all three forwards trapping themselves down low (behind the goalline) it leaves the rest of the zone open for the quick breakout. Thus giving up 3 on 2s and 2 on 1s when the defense pinches up and gets beat. With 3 forwards down low and no one around the high slot they cannot sustain any offensive pressure. The dump and chase also requires speed and a strong forecheck which we are lacking a majority of the time. This turns it into a dump and retreat against a more physical team.

4) Lastly, they have been giving up their blueline too much. They have been letting most teams come across the neutral zone way too easily and then giving up the blueline. Yetsreday vs Phillie, they started standing them up in neautral ice and denying the zone. This was mostly due to forwards backchecking (through somme hustle) in support of the defense. It was nice to see forwards swarming the Flyers and hitting around the redline.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I saw an improvement vs Phillie late in the game (congrats to Sammy that was a sweet move to win). I just hope they learned something and can sustain it. :)

If the team wants to continue to play the style of hockey that they have the last couple of years, lack of speed is the most prevalent weakness of this team. The older forwards really limit what the offense is able to do on the ice. How many times has Staal skated down the ice with alot of speed...only to have to stop and wait for another forward to catch up to him? Give Staal another forward on the ice that can keep up with him stride-for-stride and that play suddenly becomes an opportunity and a likely goal for the Hurricanes.

While I don't regret the Cole for Pitkanen trade and continue to believe that it was a great move by Rutherford, the biggest void left by Cole was the fact that he could keep up with Staal. Eventually, players like Bowman, Boychuk, Dalpe, and Terry will provide a boost in the overall speed of this team. However, for the present, I feel players like Brind'Amour, Brookbank, Walker, and Whitney will continue to limit the effectiveness of Laviolette's style of hockey.

I don't think dump and chase is the plan it just is only option. We really struggle getting across the blueline the big question is how to fix this its been a problem for a long time.

I know its an only option and not the teams strategy really(or at least i hope not)........ but now I watch other teams who are good offensively and what they do in that situation, if nothing is there they would circle back and wait for troops.....or drop it back to a trailing forward just before the point they would usually dump it in.

It seems like when a forward crosses the blueline they are afraid to turn it over and panic , so they decide to play it safe and dump it in. I don't mind it if its the 4th line doing that, but any other line that does it constantly without results really gets on my nerves.

Good teams also have more then 4 players that can puckhandle and dipsy doodle at the blueline and not wind up with the puck being stripped.

When Staal comes across and doesn't dump it he winds up being stripped because as he pushes the defense inwards...lets say the D starts on the blue line and Staal is progressing across the blueline... then as the defensemen back up to keep speed with Staal and we are now across the blueline Staal has to have someone crossing the blueline to successfully drop pass the puck to as he makes the D commit to him... This just doesnt happen, our guys dont keep up with Staal and it's to late.

That and the fact I dont trust anyone else on this team's hands to try to be shifty with anyone in the league. We got one guy who can do a toe drag successfuly (Staal) and we can never use it because he never gets support to even scare a defender to back off him.

Staal flat out gets double teamed because no one on our team scares them and it's not because we dont have scary players its because they constantly fail to put themselves in scoring positions.

Watch Staal next time he pulls a toe drag, I bet he has little to no support and he loses the puck. Once he's done with the toe drag he should have someone on the other wing to pass it to or at least keep the second defender off him.

My concern is points and GF. We can't be loosing these close games like this as we have been lately. Like 3-1 3-2 then we finally won one yesterday. We also suck at holding the lead. We just need to be better when taking the lead then hold back some try and figure out their way of attack but not by to much. Then go in for attack and shoot at their net. We need to be better more on GF than GA.

I know that we have the leadership aspect on the blueline from Gleason, but I still kinda think we could use a veteran defenseman to stabalize things. Look at San Jose, they are playing with the win now mentality using two vets (Boyle and Blake)(one offensive and one stay @ home style d-man) on their blueline and its working bigtime! We also need a winger who can skate with Staal, Kinda like how Cole was with maybe with a bit more offensive prowess.

60 minutes of hard all out skating

Sharp passing,

Hard hitting,

and CRASH the net,

or at least park someone in front of it,

everything else will fall into place

6 out of 10 wins makes us a playoff team :)

Ruutu, Pitkanen, and Bayda has been some of our best players of late. I think if Williams wasn't out as much as he has been the moral of the guys would have been better to score more goals because these two 3 game loosing streaks really did hurt us and I think if Williams was in for those games then we would have a better chance scoring more goals and at least getting a point in like a OT lost or a shoot out lost heck maybe even wins. I think when he comes back everybody will be playing better.