The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

Poll: 3 Hurricanes make All-Star Ballot.

No surprise really, but I see your argument. NHL tends to take in past results though over current stats...fact is that Dipietro has a monster contract and was in the game last year, Brodeur is a legend, and Biron is on an exciting team that was in the playoffs last season. Cam hasn't been any of these things. Our best bet is that the NHL takes Brodeur off because of the injury, removes Dipietro and Biron (one's injured and one just plain *****), and instead gives the fans a chance to elect some other eastern conf. goalies to play in the game. However, I highly doubt that the NHL removes Biron and Dipietro...unless they get seriously injured. Brodeur should def. be off though...although I have a feeling he'll stay simply because the game is far enough away that he might make it back in time for it...and of course no matter his stats the NHL won't remove him...he'll have to decline.

All-Star voting and roster is always a mess.

No surprise really, but I see your argument. NHL tends to take in past results though over current stats...fact is that Dipietro has a monster contract and was in the game last year, Brodeur is a legend, and Biron is on an exciting team that was in the playoffs last season. Cam hasn't been any of these things. Our best bet is that the NHL takes Brodeur off because of the injury, removes Dipietro and Biron (one's injured and one just plain *****), and instead gives the fans a chance to elect some other eastern conf. goalies to play in the game. However, I highly doubt that the NHL removes Biron and Dipietro...unless they get seriously injured. Brodeur should def. be off though...although I have a feeling he'll stay simply because the game is far enough away that he might make it back in time for it...and of course no matter his stats the NHL won't remove him...he'll have to decline.

All-Star voting and roster is always a mess.

i guess i can see why Brodeur pretty much has to be on the ballot just because of his name. but to me putting DiPietro on there is ridiculous. Martin Biron can slide i guess because of his play last year, but this year he's IMO no where near all-star worthy. I think Thomas is another name worthy of being on there over Lehtonen, Vokoun, Biron, or DiPietro.

A lot of it is based on last season, I still don't agree with some of the choices but that is why there are some players on the ballot who have not had very good starts this season. For example- Marty Biron and Marty Turco. I don't know I agree with this, but I think thats what they do.

A lot of it is based on last season, I still don't agree with some of the choices but that is why there are some players on the ballot who have not had very good starts this season. For example- Marty Biron and Marty Turco. I don't know I agree with this, but I think thats what they do.

Playoffs are the only thing i can think of that put Biron and Turco on the ballot. as much as i like Turco i don't think he is anywhere near an all-star this year unfortunately.

Listen in to XM radio tomorrow for their "In the slot" segment with Phil Esposito. This was the exact argument they had today and Phil was disgusted that players that haven't even played this season or were injured early on were on the ballot. They said they were going to try and get a league representative on tomorrow to explain it.

I'm with Espo, the All Star bid should be solely on merit and not on name or popularity contest. The way it is now feels like a exhibition game just to showcase the league rather than to award players who earned all star status.

Playoffs are the only thing i can think of that put Biron and Turco on the ballot. as much as i like Turco i don't think he is anywhere near an all-star this year unfortunately.

Oh I agree actually, those were just easy examples.

Listen in to XM radio tomorrow for their "In the slot" segment with Phil Esposito. This was the exact argument they had today and Phil was disgusted that players that haven't even played this season or were injured early on were on the ballot. They said they were going to try and get a league representative on tomorrow to explain it.

I'm with Espo, the All Star bid should be solely on merit and not on name or popularity contest. The way it is now feels like a exhibition game just to showcase the league rather than to award players who earned all star status.

i doubt i'll be able to listen to it live.. is there any way i could listen to it later on the internet like a podcast or something?

i doubt i'll be able to listen to it live.. is there any way i could listen to it later on the internet like a podcast or something?

No clue but they replay a lot of the segments on the weekends.

another problem is that i don't have a subscription to XM Radio..

Yup, that would be a problem, lol.

yeah that way maybe Wallin can make it! :lol:

If you're talking about NHL Live, which they play on Home Ice, 204 on XM radio I believe, it is also on the NHL Network everyday from noon to 2. I'm not 100% positive that's what you're talking about though.

I like the list. My Eastern Conference ballot will be all Canadiens players. Bias? Yes, indeed. But I can't help it:)

If you're talking about NHL Live, which they play on Home Ice, 204 on XM radio I believe, it is also on the NHL Network everyday from noon to 2. I'm not 100% positive that's what you're talking about though.

I like the list. My Eastern Conference ballot will be all Canadiens players. Bias? Yes, indeed. But I can't help it:)

No, its the 4-6pm show with Phil Esposito called "In the Slot".

It's based on last season's performance, but I agree that 6 Canadiens and 6 Red Wings is way over the top. I also do not like the fact that, as pointed out, some of the nominees virtually haven't played at all this season. I understand it's based on performance from last season, but some of the nominees are absurd, especially, Lehtonen. Yes, Lehtonen is on the all-star ballot. Are you kidding me? Lehtonen???? 48GP last season with a whopping 17 wins with 22 losses and he gets on the ballot? ROFL?

I guess it isn't necessarily based on last season's performance nor if the player has played this season or not. Seems to me that the NHL itself doesn't know the formula. Apparently there is none. Gee, the NHL? Doing something illogical? Noo.... say it ain't so... :rolleyes:

If you let the fans vote, it will ALWAYS be a popularity contest because fans -- like partisans in other fields -- have a difficult time being objective. The least the league can do, however, is get the ballots right based "on merit". That would be a big improvement in the process. I heard Espo's comments at the end of the show yesterday that these ballots are "embarrassing" for the league. I agree.

I think the all-star game and voting as a whole is one big joke, and put no stock into it. That being said, Cam Ward is in no way shape or form an all-star goalie at this point in time. I never understood why they use last year for justification to make the team though. I think they should choose a date maybe two weeks out from the game and take the top 20 skaters and 3 goaltenders that are the most statistically deserving. That way it is atleast semi-justifiable. I mean you know that pretty much the whole Montreal Canadiens roster will make due to the fact that it is 100 years and in their barn.

I think the all-star game and voting as a whole is one big joke, and put no stock into it. That being said, Cam Ward is in no way shape or form an all-star goalie at this point in time. I never understood why they use last year for justification to make the team though. I think they should choose a date maybe two weeks out from the game and take the top 20 skaters and 3 goaltenders that are the most statistically deserving. That way it is atleast semi-justifiable. I mean you know that pretty much the whole Montreal Canadiens roster will make due to the fact that it is 100 years and in their barn.

Gee, ya think that had something to do with the ballot names?

warning: sarcasm

I realize this will draw criticism but Cam Ward has no business being on the ballot if you want to be honest. I'd challenge anyone to tell me if they had bought a franchise and all the Eastern Conference Goalies were available if Cam would be one of the top 3-4. He is having a very good year this year and I still think he will be a very good goalie as he matures and even a possible future All-Star. However one can hardly look at what he did last year and the short season thus far and argue he should be on the ballot.

I am a Ward fan. Just not believing he deserves a place on this years ballot.

Ward dosen't deserve to be on the allstar ballot this year. After two medioker years leading us to no playoffs, he's gonna have to reestablish himself as a top goalie this year. If he does not, leighton will take it over.

So far I think he's had a couple great games and a couple medioker games. I hope he finds whatever he had when he won mvp, cause it certainly hasn't been there for the last 2 years. I beleive in him though and think as he gets older he'll find it again.

I realize this will draw criticism but Cam Ward has no business being on the ballot if you want to be honest. I'd challenge anyone to tell me if they had bought a franchise and all the Eastern Conference Goalies were available if Cam would be one of the top 3-4. He is having a very good year this year and I still think he will be a very good goalie as he matures and even a possible future All-Star. However one can hardly look at what he did last year and the short season thus far and argue he should be on the ballot.

I am a Ward fan. Just not believing he deserves a place on this years ballot.

I agree, he is our guy and we all like him but that doesn't warrant being on the all star ballot. if you look at all the Eastern Conference goalies there are at least a couple that should be ahead of Cam.

We need to get a Vote for LaRose campaign started, similar to the Vote for Rory (Fitzpatrick - Vancouver) campaign from last year.

Already have Wallin for this. Hope you're on board.