The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

Poll: 3 Hurricanes make All-Star Ballot.

It's a popularity contest and nothing more. If were based on recent play, Cam Ward would surely not be a candidate...so I think it's fair that he's not on the ballot. There are more deserving goalies than him right now. In an effort to be fair....I wouldn't vote for Staal or Brind'amour now either. But it's not based on performace....as I said earlier.

Anyone who is a starting goalie should be on there, its not that ahrd, and kinda shows unfair bias towards players with better reputations.

I understand they limit forwards and defensemen names, there are tons of them. But goalies should have at least 1 representative per team on the ballot. Even if its a popularity contest, he's still popular in Carolina, and i know there are kids who'd look to vote for him.

Not saying Cam should be getting votes, but he definitely deserves to be on the ballot.

I truely wish it was a true "ALLSTAR" game and not a popularity contest, that would put a little meaning to the word "ALLSTAR"!! But i guess we should vote for "our guys" to at least represent our team!

If people listened to a different XM show, you'd have the answer. Gary Bettman does a show with Bill Clement on thursdays at 2 I think, And you can listen to it on NHL.com or get it as a podcast, It's called the NHL hour.

Anyway, on the show he was discussing that due to time, hockey operations makes the ballot over the summer, so there are occasionally weird things like injured players and guys who have been awful that season. Reason being that hockey operations is busy with all sorts of other things once the season starts.

But if you want to gripe about something, call in. Be polite and they may let you on the air.

But really, Whitney and Wallin are the only Canes I would have put on the ballot this year anyway if we go by straight performance.

If people listened to a different XM show, you'd have the answer. Gary Bettman does a show with Bill Clement on thursdays at 2 I think, And you can listen to it on NHL.com or get it as a podcast, It's called the NHL hour.

Anyway, on the show he was discussing that due to time, hockey operations makes the ballot over the summer, so there are occasionally weird things like injured players and guys who have been awful that season. Reason being that hockey operations is busy with all sorts of other things once the season starts.

But if you want to gripe about something, call in. Be polite and they may let you on the air.

But really, Whitney and Wallin are the only Canes I would have put on the ballot this year anyway if we go by straight performance.

thanks for the info buti think that's pretty much the dumbest way to make an all-star ballot...

and why not Ruutu? he's probly been our most consistent player this year.

If it ends up being an all Canadiens starting lineup, it's going to be a pretty sad day. I understand many people aren't voting for Crosby and OV just because they assume that they will play in the All-Star game anyway, but it's still a little depressing to see.

If the West starts Hossa-Datsyuk-Zetterberg, they will IMHO have an edge on Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay; however, if we started Kovalev-Crosby-Ovechkin, I feel we would certainly have the upper hand.

And on the back end... do we really wanna pit Markov-Komisarek against Lidstrom-Phaneuf. Personally, I would like to see how Chara's shutdown size and strength would match when paired with Mike Green's nose for offense.

Furthermore, Carey Prices stats are barely better than Wards. He has a .915 SV% with 2.61 GAA (12 GP). Tim Thomas has a .944% with 1.78 GAA (12 GP); Lundqvist is rolling a .931% with 1.92 GAA (18 GP).

This is looking more like a Senior Prom than an All-Star Game. If I wanted to watch the Habs or Red Wings play hockey, I'd flip on center ice. This is the one time of the year where all the players, who have fought each other, tooth and nail, for every little point in the standing, can come together and play side by side. The All-Star game is an opportunity to push the boundary; to put on display what is, in some ways, the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. It is a chance for us, the fans, to watch the best players in the world showcase their talents, and to remind us how great the game of hockey really is...

Yet, we're going to make a mockery of it.

P.S. Hopefully Price's stats will look way worse after the Canes are done with him tonight!!

If it ends up being an all Canadiens starting lineup, it's going to be a pretty sad day. I understand many people aren't voting for Crosby and OV just because they assume that they will play in the All-Star game anyway, but it's still a little depressing to see.

If the West starts Hossa-Datsyuk-Zetterberg, they will IMHO have an edge on Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay; however, if we started Kovalev-Crosby-Ovechkin, I feel we would certainly have the upper hand.

And on the back end... do we really wanna pit Markov-Komisarek against Lidstrom-Phaneuf. Personally, I would like to see how Chara's shutdown size and strength would match when paired with Mike Green's nose for offense.

Furthermore, Carey Prices stats are barely better than Wards. He has a .915 SV% with 2.61 GAA (12 GP). Tim Thomas has a .944% with 1.78 GAA (12 GP); Lundqvist is rolling a .931% with 1.92 GAA (18 GP).

This is looking more like a Senior Prom than an All-Star Game. If I wanted to watch the Habs or Red Wings play hockey, I'd flip on center ice. This is the one time of the year where all the players, who have fought each other, tooth and nail, for every little point in the standing, can come together and play side by side. The All-Star game is an opportunity to push the boundary; to put on display what is, in some ways, the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. It is a chance for us, the fans, to watch the best players in the world showcase their talents, and to remind us how great the game of hockey really is...

Yet, we're going to make a mockery of it.

P.S. Hopefully Price's stats will look way worse after the Canes are done with him tonight!!

If it makes you feel any better, its not like you're going to see any real hockey being played. Even if the match ups you wanted were on the ice, it wouldn't be showcasing anything except some commaderie among the top players in the league...hopefully including our own Niclas Wallin ;)

Keep voting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just cast my ballot for AllStars and noticed there are no Hurricanes players in the Leaders at this time. I just wanted to encourage everyone to vote! I know we are not happy with the way the team has been playing, but I think it would be very sad to have not one of our players on the team this year. I personally am voting all I can for Whitney.

The problem is our perenial all-stars are not playing to that level. I know that it doesn't much matter in the voting, but if you go by this season's on ice performance, our all star is Tuomo Ruutu. Maybe he'll get added.

I find the all-star vote tough. I loathe how the all-star team seems to normally ignore who is really playing good hockey and I've complained about it often. I find it a bit hypocritcal for myself to go vote for one of our players currently, because frankly I don't see one worthy. I hope that changes. When it does I will vote often and with clear conscience.

I find it a bit hypocritcal for myself to go vote for one of our players currently, because frankly I don't see one worthy. I hope that changes. When it does I will vote often and with clear conscience.

Exactly. Honestly, who on our team is worthy of a vote other than Ruutu and perhaps Wallin??? I'm not sure anyone IMHO. Gleason, Sutter, and LaRose have played great and will be there one day but not as of right now I do not believe. Just b/c you have a recognizable name on the back of your jersey and collect a big check from the team does not warrant a vote---huhmmm, Staal. Mediocre play should not get rewarded.