The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Alternative Jersey Poll

It took me a period to get used to. I was having a tough time figuring out who was who and having Detroit in red/white didnt help things,lol. By the second period though, I was used to it. I realy like them but it is strange to see them in something other than red.

My biggest complaint with the jerseys after seeing them in person it is very very hard to see the number on the arm as the player comes up and down the ice. I'm in the upper level and I had a hard time sometimes seeing who was coming on and off the ice.

Overall, I'd say 6 out of 10.

The numbers are difficult to see on TV, as well. Even on a widescreen.

Part of it is I think the numbers need to be white with a red border instead of red with a white border. That would make a world of difference. The white letters for the names were just fine, just the numbers were difficult to see. Red on black is never good for text.

The jersey itself I still think is awesome. Was great to see it in action.

My biggest complaint with the jerseys after seeing them in person it is very very hard to see the number on the arm as the player comes up and down the ice. I'm in the upper level and I had a hard time sometimes seeing who was coming on and off the ice.
I like the look...but overall agree on the numbers. I had a much harder time making them out from the upper deck versus normal. Currently the numbers have a white outline of the red numbers. Suggested alteration could be minor or major:

Minor: Make the white outline a little bigger.

or

Major: Swap the colors. Make the numbers white with a red outline.

My only complaint is the hurricane flags along the bottom should still be red with black center!!! Red flags with grey ouline and black center. Keep the flag true to it's design.

Too bad I can't custom order one like that, I would pay extra for it.

Now I just need to find a place that carries goalie jerseys, which will be.....nowhere.... so guess I am going back to having the 11 with my last name since that is the number I always wear in every sport I play including hockey when I am a forward.... the only exception being as a Goalie, which I wear 97 in honor of the Canes.

Saw the jerseys last night, still unimpressed. They are uuuuuuuuuuugly. I'm pretty sure the Wings fans behind me were laughing at them when the team took the ice...either that or the stupid pre-game video. Either way, this franchise doesn't help itself in terms of respectability with their marketing strategies and presentation choices (third jersey, etc).

IMHO, of course.

I watched the game on FSN and they looked really good on TV.

The red letters outlined in white made it easy to identify player numbers.

Does the respectability of a franchise hinge on what a Jersey looks like. I think the Red Wings are plain and boring while some say they are "classic".

The Wings look like the Soviet Union circa 1976. Just saying.

For the most part, I didn't like how they looked on TV last night. The wide angle didn't do them any favors, but from the low angles in the corners and behind the net, they looked fantastic.

I watched the game on FSN and they looked really good on TV.

The red letters outlined in white made it easy to identify player numbers.

Does the respectability of a franchise hinge on what a Jersey looks like. I think the Red Wings are plain and boring while some say they are "classic".

Absolutely. Uniforms are a very big deal; they are judged constantly and how a team does them says a lot about how the team is viewed in the media and also in the sport they play in. That's why no matter what sport you talk about it's always the founding teams that have the best perceived jerseys. In the NHL's case, it's the Canadiens, Red Wings, and Blackhawks that are considered to have the best uni's. They are very classic, which to a new fan seems boring but to an old-timer or even real enthusiast they are perfectly beautiful.

"Classic" is a whole lot better than "abstract", which is what the new 'Canes jerseys are. That's why it hurts the franchise. But it doesn't matter...the Hurricanes have never really gotten down the "respectability" part of the franchise in comparison to most other teams in the NHL.

100 Votes in: Wow. 91% either like or love these jerseys! I really didn't expect that. Hard to get that much agreement on anything short of "Would you like it if the Hurricanes won another cup?" And twice as many love them than just like them.

I don't think the poll itself is biased, though there may be some selection bias since the vast majority of us are Hurricane fans, and would probably tend to like them more than non fans. I also might have expected some bias towards both ends of the poll, since people who felt more strongly one way or the other might be more likely to vote, but dang, 91%?

Seems like a home run to me.

Now are they really $300?

Wow over 200 votes in. At this point 86% either like or love the new uniforms, and even more suprisingly only 4% either dislike or hate them (my paraphrasing). Positives outnumber negatives almost 20 to 1. Hard to imagine a more overwhelming victory for the new uniforms.

Absolutely. Uniforms are a very big deal; they are judged constantly and how a team does them says a lot about how the team is viewed in the media and also in the sport they play in. That's why no matter what sport you talk about it's always the founding teams that have the best perceived jerseys. In the NHL's case, it's the Canadiens, Red Wings, and Blackhawks that are considered to have the best uni's. They are very classic, which to a new fan seems boring but to an old-timer or even real enthusiast they are perfectly beautiful.

"Classic" is a whole lot better than "abstract", which is what the new 'Canes jerseys are. That's why it hurts the franchise. But it doesn't matter...the Hurricanes have never really gotten down the "respectability" part of the franchise in comparison to most other teams in the NHL.

I think this is the beautiful thing about the black jersey being an alternate. The majority of teams 3rd jerseys are generally not accepted as well as their permanent ones which can get people who do want something different to buy one. There are also diehard fans who will buy one just because it is their teams jersy like it or not. Which from a business stand point really is ultimately the point of a team having a 3rd jersey. Mo Money Mo Money Mo Money.

I do not get what about them is "abstract" other than maybe the angled red and silver/grey stripes on the arms and socks. It seems to be a pretty straight forward black uni with the alternate logo on it. Is the greyed out warning flags at the bottom or the logo on the shoulder considered "abstract"? Please point out what you think is abstract.

Sounds like they are selling well. Which is good for the team bringing in that revenue:

Black Jerseys a Hit with Canes Fans

Javier Serna, Staff Writer

RALEIGH - The new alternate black jerseys were sprinkled in among the home crowd as the Carolina Hurricanes wore them for the first time in a game Monday night at the RBC Center.

"They just did a nice twist on a classic," said Raleigh's Dave Reynolds, wearing a red Canes sweater. "It's great to see a team come out in all black."

There were rumors of a third jersey for several years.

"We've been waiting for them for a long time," said John Gallagher of Apex. He was wearing the new sweater as he browsed The Eye gift shop.

James Blitch, retail manager for the Carolina Hurricanes, said during the second period that the store could sell out of the first shipment of 1,500 replicas by the end of the game.

He had only one of the personalized jerseys with Rod Brind'Amour's likeness left. The Eric Staal sweaters had already sold out.

"The red numbers make the jerseys pop," said Blitch, referring to the personalized jerseys with red numbers bordered in white. The primary logo -- the swirl -- is on the shoulder in gray.

I love the new jerseys except for the black/silver eye shoulder patch. I think they should have kept the regular color scheme for the eye, it just looks funny to me.

As good as they look, they look 10X better with a name/number on them. I have no favorite on the team any more so unfortunately I won't be buying one anytime soon.

I love the new jerseys except for the black/silver eye shoulder patch. I think they should have kept the regular color scheme for the eye, it just looks funny to me.

As good as they look, they look 10X better with a name/number on them. I have no favorite on the team any more so unfortunately I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Thats my only complaint too. I get what they were doing making grey/silver but I'd like to see it show up more. The jerseys look great from behind with the names and numbers.

BTW: awesome avatar :)

I do not get what about them is "abstract" other than maybe the angled red and silver/grey stripes on the arms and socks. It seems to be a pretty straight forward black uni with the alternate logo on it. Is the greyed out warning flags at the bottom or the logo on the shoulder considered "abstract"? Please point out what you think is abstract.

Black, by its very nature, is abstract. There are some good black uni's out there, but the way we've done it pushes the scale a little too far. Not to mention that black as a uni color has been so over-used in sports; i.e. been there, done that. As Don Cherry asked, "The 'Canes couldn't come up with anything else more creative?"

Apparently not.

Black, by its very nature, is abstract. There are some good black uni's out there, but the way we've done it pushes the scale a little too far. Not to mention that black as a uni color has been so over-used in sports; i.e. been there, done that. As Don Cherry asked, "The 'Canes couldn't come up with anything else more creative?"

Apparently not.

What color besides black should they have gone with? Black for the Hurricanes is a good color. They already have white and they already have red. Should they have picked fushia, blue, gold. Black is the only color that would make sense. And quoting Don Cherry is just as good as quoting Eklund, the guy is a tool.

What color besides black should they have gone with? Black for the Hurricanes is a good color. They already have white and they already have red. Should they have picked fushia, blue, gold. Black is the only color that would make sense. And quoting Don Cherry is just as good as quoting Eklund, the guy is a tool.

Not only did Don Cherry make the statement, but it was also said in ESPN's Uni Watch (with has nothing to do with hockey; just a annual review article on new uni's in every sport).

However, I agree with you CLF that the Hurricanes really didn't have any other color to turn to. I think though that red AND black would've been better...not just all black. Or we could've done something with gray, white, or silver. I just don't like the all black thing.

But hey, at least we HAVE a third jersey now. When I think about it in those terms, it makes it much easier to accept.

Apparently not.

I agree the jersey could have been more creative. All it is, is a reassembly of the parts of the standard jerseys in black, its nothing special. Its not bad but I can't help but think that there could have been a much cooler design. Ultimately in a prefect world I would have loved them to be Whaler's throwbacks instead of black, but we all know there was a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Ultimately in a prefect world I would have loved them to be Whaler's throwbacks instead of black, but we all know there was a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Actually I think the snowball would have better odds then that happening :lol:

How about all silver unis, with silver body paint from head to toe. Would that be creative and unique enough? go ahead imagine that for one second I dare you. :P

How does that work? We only have one loss on the season...

Oh, preseason. Doesn't count.

The Red wings game though, they wore them and played their best game of the season. It's all in how you look at it.

I agree the jersey could have been more creative. All it is, is a reassembly of the parts of the standard jerseys in black, its nothing special. Its not bad but I can't help but think that there could have been a much cooler design. Ultimately in a prefect world I would have loved them to be Whaler's throwbacks instead of black, but we all know there was a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Oh that would be so awesome; do something with the great Whalers uniforms. What a shame it is that we can't really celebrate our team's history...I mean like the entire Whaler existence has been dug deep into the ground never to be brought up again.

Except in my trivia questions, of course. ;)

Oh that would be so awesome; do something with the great Whalers uniforms. What a shame it is that we can't really celebrate our team's history...I mean like the entire Whaler existence has been dug deep into the ground never to be brought up again.

Except in my trivia questions, of course. ;)

Ya they should have like a Whalers memory night like the Canadians did not to long ago!