The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeytime-ch1

Welcome back Mo.

Good for you hockeytime. I think people forgot that Mo's team was no where as good as the one Lavi had in his Cup run.

It's over, It's done, Mo is our man. Welcome back Mo....Let's go Canes.

Welcome back Mo! You have more talent to work with now so who knows how it will go. JR's reunions don't always work out well but I'm hoping for you and the teams sake that this one does. Go Canes!

While those awful 02-03/03-04 teams and boring play are most fresh in my mind with Mo, those 2002 playoff memories are still there too -- albeit a lot deeper in the foggy recesses. That run was the tipper in making me a devoted Canes fan versus a casual one.

Maurice, as a person, I recall was also very kind too. I remember at the Jimmy V one year, he was rushed in driving his golf cart to catch up to his group and he saw me trying to snap his picture. He stopped, backed-up, posed for me, and then asked, "Did it turn out alright?" Nice doesn

I'm glad someone is keeping an open mind about this coaching change before deciding to never go to a canes game again, haha.

Hope he's successful in his return tonight.

I remember standing around talking to him in the Greensboro Coliseum after the "Meet and Greet With the Canes" event in 1997, their first appearence as a team in North Carolina. I was very young, but he said he was impressed with my sports knowledge... lol. For some reason, I kept getting him and Glen Wesley backwards... maybe it was because Glen looked older, so I pictured him as a coach. But, anyway... I got his autograph along with a handful of other guys on a trifold-flyer. That was a great event. Paul was very nice... I wish him the best! GO CANES!

Welcome back, I suppose. My first reaction when I heard Maurice was the new head coach would have to be bleeped out. However, it is what it is and I want the Canes to win. Hopefully we will turn things around because I think we have the players and talent to do so. Maybe we can luck up and get a win tonight. Best of luck Mo!

Hockeytime is to be commended for starting this thread. After we all go through the stages of grief in our own time and come to acceptance, we will throw our support behind Mo for a variety of reasons. One, we are hockey fans in general, two we are Canes fans in particular, three, Mo is a good coach and even better human being. Mo is to be commended for taking on an extremely challenging circumstance when he could have stayed home and collected a check from the Leafs. He did so with basically no safety net. This is the second uphill challenge Mo has accepted. The Toronto situation would have been impossible for even the likes of Scotty Bowman due to the turbulent management situation. Mo accepted the challenge and handled the adversity with great class and alacrity. Here's to Mo!. Best wishes and good luck with the challenges that surely lie ahead.

So... can we boo NOW?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the David Putty approach ("gotta support the TEAM"), but there's a difference between wearing rose-colored glasses and seeing the reality. Since a post I put up earlier this week pointing out the apparent return of the Sunshine Lollipops and Rainbows Brigade was quickly deleted, I'll assume that more substance is desired by the forum's monitors, and try to give it here.

It's not important how "nice" a guy Paul Maurice is, or what he did for us in the past. The bottom line is that JR has made decisions since the Cup win which surpass questionable and go straight to ridiculous, the rehiring of a fired coach to replace the one that WON that Cup for you being the topper.

Welcoming Paul Maurice is all well and good, but calling down those of us who choose to remove the rose-colored glasses and point out that this move is indicative of a much larger management crisis in the Canes' front office, is just a different way (apparently one more acceptable to the monitors) of disparaging we realists, and ignoring that crisis.

So... can we boo NOW?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the David Putty approach ("gotta support the TEAM"), but there's a difference between wearing rose-colored glasses and seeing the reality. Since a post I put up earlier this week pointing out the apparent return of the Sunshine Lollipops and Rainbows Brigade was quickly deleted, I'll assume that more substance is desired by the forum's monitors, and try to give it here.

It's not important how "nice" a guy Paul Maurice is, or what he did for us in the past. The bottom line is that JR has made decisions since the Cup win which surpass questionable and go straight to ridiculous, the rehiring of a fired coach to replace the one that WON that Cup for you being the topper.

Welcoming Paul Maurice is all well and good, but calling down those of us who choose to remove the rose-colored glasses and point out that this move is indicative of a much larger management crisis in the Canes' front office, is just a different way (apparently one more acceptable to the monitors) of disparaging we realists, and ignoring that crisis.

So true. When management ignores the fact that goaltending is still the key to consistantly winning in the NHL it doesn't matter who is coaching. Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman could be behind the bench and it wouldn't matter if you constantly give up questionable goals.

Well after last nite game i wonder what Paul will do now. I hope he has backbone to sit some people and bring up some hungry players form Albany! Our defense needs to be totally revamped, as well as the rest of the team i guess. Maybe MO is thinking what have i gotten myself into. He did get a better effort in his 1st game back but it was still only about 50% of the effort they needed to win.

So yes welcome back Paul, but be careful what you wish for! ;)

I said it before the season started that I had MAJOR reservations about putting Cam and Leights togegether. We are paying for it...not just in net though, but that is still yet another post...

So true. When management ignores the fact that goaltending is still the key to consistantly winning in the NHL it doesn't matter who is coaching. Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman could be behind the bench and it wouldn't matter if you constantly give up questionable goals.

Leighton is still better then Grahame, thing is I expect more of Grahame to be a better back up considering he was able to start in the NHL.

Leighton I expect almost nothing of so I can't be disappointed, but he sucked last night. To the point I thought Peters should have came in.

Leighton is still better then Grahame, thing is I expect more of Grahame to be a better back up considering he was able to start in the NHL.

Leighton I expect almost nothing of so I can't be disappointed, but he sucked last night. To the point I thought Peters should have came in.

And you just can't lay all that's happened at the goalies' feet. Signing Brindy, at 37, to a five-year deal? Signing Staal to the deal he got? HE CAN'T WIN A FACE-OFF! And the one that's really been flying under the radar on this board, the return of Anton Babchuk??!! PUH-LEEEEEEEEEZE! I'm surprised Lavi didn't quit that day, because surely it told him all he needed to know about who is really running the team.

And you just can't lay all that's happened at the goalies' feet. Signing Brindy, at 37, to a five-year deal? Signing Staal to the deal he got? HE CAN'T WIN A FACE-OFF! And the one that's really been flying under the radar on this board, the return of Anton Babchuk??!! PUH-LEEEEEEEEEZE! I'm surprised Lavi didn't quit that day, because surely it told him all he needed to know about who is really running the team.

TopShelf, relax a little dude. Brindy's on the back end of his contract and is getting paid less now than the first three years. He's arguably been the team's best player for the first three years of that deal. Unfortunate about the injury, but he still offers more than 90% of the other options that are out there. At $3MM/year right now, that's a bargain. No one could have imagined his +/- this year would be like it is. His offensive struggles aren't all his problems (see Samsonov). He has to have some guys to play with too. Thank God he's on this team to win faceoffs, because no one else can win an important faceoff.

Canes had to sign Staal to the deal he got or risk losing him. Tell me, honestly, would you rather overpay Staal, or not have him at all? If the Canes are perceived to not be able to hold on to their star players, no one will want to come here and we'll be a perennial World Championships feeder team. Staal does a lot of bad (mostly undisciplined) things on the ice - he's a turnover machine - but the good things he does are ten-fold. He's definitely struggling right now and Maurice has certainly addressed it. Watch him as he gets healthier.

Can't believe you are getting all worked up about Babchuk! It's not like there is a lake full of top-4 defensemen swimming around just hoping to be gobbled up by an NHL team, especially for <$1MM. He's clearly a 5+ D-man and everyone knew that coming in. You have to take a chance on someone to get some bodies in here. EVERY team in the NHL has a couple of Babchuk's. Fortunately for most of them, they are not forced to play in the top 4 right now. You can't seriously be slamming JR for this move!

So... can we boo NOW?

Thank you Topshelf for your realism and eloquent statement of the case. The Sunshine and Rainbows group don't like confrontation and would rather pat each other on the back rather than let the managaement of this team know that there indeed are many fans who will not settle for so/so performance.

Also regarding the signings of Staal, Melichar and Babchuck, I think there are two separate issues. I understand the need to sign Staal, but let's admint that he is basically lazy, has come to the "rescue" of the team when it really doesn't matter and when the pressure is really on, typically has not delivered. But he must be a JR "friend".

As far as Babchuck and Melichar, they were cheap. Babchuck is like MO, a retread loser who didn't do well the first time he was here and isn't doing well now. But JR only sees what he wants to see. Hell, he was even thinking of bringing back Jeff O'Neil. Talk about a role model "mail it in" player -- maybe that is where Staal gets his insight.

So... can we boo NOW?

Wow, really? I found it rather quickly:

Looks like the Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows Brigade is alive and well, and STILL putting a finger in each ear and saying "LaLaLaLaLaLa..."

Welcome back, Mo! You are a very devoted coach that knows his way around the game. Peter was a nice guy and he did bring us the Stanley Cup but, as others have stated, he had a better team than in your tenure. I hope Peter the best in his endeavors and I hope you the most in yours here back with the Canes.

May you realize the problems and perform quick fixes to get us out of this slump. I have total faith in you!!!!! :)

TopShelf, relax a little dude. Brindy's on the back end of his contract and is getting paid less now than the first three years. He's arguably been the team's best player for the first three years of that deal. Unfortunate about the injury, but he still offers more than 90% of the other options that are out there. At $3MM/year right now, that's a bargain. No one could have imagined his +/- this year would be like it is. His offensive struggles aren't all his problems (see Samsonov). He has to have some guys to play with too. Thank God he's on this team to win faceoffs, because no one else can win an important faceoff.

Canes had to sign Staal to the deal he got or risk losing him. Tell me, honestly, would you rather overpay Staal, or not have him at all? If the Canes are perceived to not be able to hold on to their star players, no one will want to come here and we'll be a perennial World Championships feeder team. Staal does a lot of bad (mostly undisciplined) things on the ice - he's a turnover machine - but the good things he does are ten-fold. He's definitely struggling right now and Maurice has certainly addressed it. Watch him as he gets healthier.

Can't believe you are getting all worked up about Babchuk! It's not like there is a lake full of top-4 defensemen swimming around just hoping to be gobbled up by an NHL team, especially for <$1MM. He's clearly a 5+ D-man and everyone knew that coming in. You have to take a chance on someone to get some bodies in here. EVERY team in the NHL has a couple of Babchuk's. Fortunately for most of them, they are not forced to play in the top 4 right now. You can't seriously be slamming JR for this move!

#1 Actually Brindy is exactly in the middle of his contract. He signed it in '06 after winning the Cup, so he's 2-1/2 seasons into it, and still making more money than you've ever seen all at one time.

#2 I would rather have let Staal take his lazy butt elsewhere. Yes, I'm completely serious.

#3 Babchuk is an issue because he's a mutineer, and by bringing him back, JR essentially caved. You don't bring back people who refuse to take orders, and that is exactly what Babs did by refusing reassignment.

#1 Actually Brindy is exactly in the middle of his contract. He signed it in '06 after winning the Cup, so he's 2-1/2 seasons into it, and still making more money than you've ever seen all at one time.

Brookbank is making more money then anyone of us has seen at one time.

Wow, really? I found it rather quickly:

Hey TSA wasn't that thread (rainbows,sunshine &lollipops) your all time favorite?? :lol::lol:

Sorry Bud I just couldn't resist!! ;)

Hey TSA wasn't that thread (rainbows,sunshine &lollipops) your all time favorite?? :lol::lol:

Sorry Bud I just couldn't resist!! ;)

Haha, its being stored in the HOF files.