The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeytime-ch1

Welcome back Mo.

TSA, as promised in private messages, I herewith apologize to you and all the mods for the FALSE CHARGE of deleting the post I said had been deleted recently. I went back looking for it and failed to find it, but you did, and I sincerely regret that error.

And help me out here -- what are HOF files??

TSA, as promised in private messages, I herewith apologize to you and all the mods for the FALSE CHARGE of deleting the post I said had been deleted recently. I went back looking for it and failed to find it, but you did, and I sincerely regret that error.

And help me out here -- what are HOF files??

I would guess Hall Of Fame files

I'm deeply honored :)

Hall of Fame files=HOF :lol:

Thanks for public appology but it wasnt necessary. Its been a crazy couple of days for all us.

#1 Actually Brindy is exactly in the middle of his contract. He signed it in '06 after winning the Cup, so he's 2-1/2 seasons into it, and still making more money than you've ever seen all at one time.

#2 I would rather have let Staal take his lazy butt elsewhere. Yes, I'm completely serious.

#3 Babchuk is an issue because he's a mutineer, and by bringing him back, JR essentially caved. You don't bring back people who refuse to take orders, and that is exactly what Babs did by refusing reassignment.

Sorry, my bad on the Brindy contract. Thought he was into 4th year already.

TopShelf, serious question, and trust me I'm not trying to sound like an *edit*. I can obviously detect how passionate you are as a Canes fan and that you do not want to settle for mediocrity. Noticed on your profile that you are in Eastern NC, not the most traditional of hockey markets - and not in any way am I trying to suggest anything. But, out of curiousity, have you ever closely followed or been a "passionate" fan of any other NHL team other than the Canes. Again, not trying to be smart about my question, just trying to see where you are coming from.

I'm as perplexed as anyone about why JR chose Mo, and hope he can do well for the Canes on his second time around. I went to the game last night, and then saw the FS Carolinas replay this afternoon. Yes, I'm a glutton, but I wanted to hear how Forslund and Tripp discussed the change.

One interesting thing struck me when Tripp mentioned that JR had to get approval from Toronto to speak to MO, and that Brian Burke approved it. Burke's recent arrival in the Toronto front office may have everything to do with the timing of MO's availablity to come here. I have no way of knowing this but enjoy speculating that JR has wanted to get MO back on board months ago but probably got stonewalled by Toronto's former GM and couldn't get the green light until Burke arrived to give it.

Welcome back Mo.... good luck on round #2 with the 'Canes, I have faith that you can get this team pointed in the right direction. Most of all,here's to you if you can get these guys playing with a little more heart. remember, wins build confidence, and confidence can take you far, so that's what these guys need, alot more confidence(I 'm sorry, I mean, wins..!).

Stick to the thread. If you want to bash Paul Maurice, there are several other threads to do it on. Give us "optimistics" our right to welcome our favorite team's new coach.

Sorry, my bad on the Brindy contract. Thought he was into 4th year already.

TopShelf, serious question, and trust me I'm not trying to sound like an *edit*. I can obviously detect how passionate you are as a Canes fan and that you do not want to settle for mediocrity. Noticed on your profile that you are in Eastern NC, not the most traditional of hockey markets - and not in any way am I trying to suggest anything. But, out of curiousity, have you ever closely followed or been a "passionate" fan of any other NHL team other than the Canes. Again, not trying to be smart about my question, just trying to see where you are coming from.

No offense taken, gopetesgo! I moved to Eastern NC four years ago from the Philadelphia area; 45 Pennsylvania winters was enough! My family had Flyers STs in the early 70s and my buddies and I took the Lansdale line to Reading Terminal for the team's second Stanley Cup parade. Was I passionate about the Flyers? I *guess* you could say that! :) I started skating before Philly even had a team (age 4). My dad took me to a few games their first season (I was 7) and I was the kid who introduced a "crazy new game" called street hockey to my neighborhood. I played in organized leagues of the ice version through high school and still play weekly here in Greenville. After watching Bobby Clarke utterly dismantle the team from the mid 90s on, I moved here and saw Brindy, Willie and Recchi (Willie in particular, whom I spotted early in Philly and knew he'd shine one day), and I'd found my new team.

Actually, mediocrity I can handle. If a team lacks the talent and ability to compete, I can accept mediocrity as the natural result of that. What I can't accept is lazyness or (especially, as a business writer and consultant) poor management -- and right now this team is showing an abundance of both.

I'm guessing by your screenname that you're from Peterborough. I'm hoping business might take me there at some point so I can see the Petes play.

#2 I would rather have let Staal take his lazy butt elsewhere. Yes, I'm completely serious.

I agree that Staal is playing slow and lazy this year, but before going straight to trading him, especially after a 7 year extension, sit him and get the message through that if you're not going to play with a jump to your step and hard, then you're not going to play.

Anyways, Maurice, you're back. The team needed a change and that's what we got. Now if the losing continues, I won't be surprised when a trade is made.

Staal is untouchable. Maurice isn't going to restrict his ice time. If Staal is satisfied with not being in the top 50 in scoring (goals, assists or points) and feels his loafing back when the other team gets possession of the puck is okay - there's not a darn thing the coach can do about it. Rutherford will have to be the one to make the tough choices in this respect. JR got rid of Cole and the team keeps trying different wingmates, and nothing seems to be working. Everyone keeps making excuses for Eric and saying he's still young and hasn't reached his maturity yet. Are they still going to be saying that when he turns 30? I think NOT being selected for the all-star game might be a good thing for him. I don't see Maurice bringing any special magic to this team. They need better on-ice leadership - leadership by example. That is a big gaping hole right now.

I agree that Staal is playing slow and lazy this year, but before going straight to trading him, especially after a 7 year extension, sit him and get the message through that if you're not going to play with a jump to your step and hard, then you're not going to play.

Anyways, Maurice, you're back. The team needed a change and that's what we got. Now if the losing continues, I won't be surprised when a trade is made.

Just for clarification, Sucka, the question was whether I'd have rather they not ink the contract, and I said that would have been fine with me. I agree that now that he's signed we're stuck with him. And while Rob123xyz is right that he won't get sat down, that is my other problem with this team. JR's job is to work with the coach to identify talent that both agree might bring good results. It is NOT to dictate to the coach how to manage/motivate his players.

As far as I'm concerned, now that everything else has failed, the best way to show Staalsy that clowntime is over is to publicly humiliate him by making him a healthy scratch for a game or two. Even last night (Maurice's second game back) the added effort of everyone was apparent -- except the golden boy. He needs to buck up, get past his frustration, and play like he knows how, and by limiting his coaches dicsiplinary options, JR makes Eric's mediocrity a self-fulfilling prophecy. If he's a kid like his apologists say, fine. Let's treat him like one, until he shows that he's ready to do what's expected of him.

The fans certainly are giving Maurice a chance. In fact, they've warmly welcomed him back! Why, at the games this weekend, I marveled at how many fans were Moing when they announced his name.

The announcer says "Hurricane's Head Coach Paul Maurice"

And the fans respond on key: "Moooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Savvy fans, these Caniacs, they "Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuu" for Ruutu and "Moooooooooooo" for Mo!

:D