The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
caniac-97

Are They Nuts???

I agree this team needs to be tougher. Conboy will certainly add toughness. We need to use Conboy and Brookbank to our advantage and start showing the other teams that we are serious now.

Maybe Mo wont Bench Brookbank the whole game like Lavi did. I mean there is no way to do your job if you are on the bench except for a few 20-25 second stints.

Yea....'ol Ruthefords at it again. if the 'Canes lose a game he starts making phone calls. why can't you hone what you've got. You will never win games when you have a revolving door at the RBC Center. I live within 10 min of RBC I should be a caniac. I still like watching them play. However, front office issues has led me astray and I have been a Red Wing fan since 2002. Come on guys... shut the revolving door get these players in shape. It reminds me of NASCAR. They'll take a car to a track with the same track conditions as the year before but make a 1000 changes and end up in the back of the field. Let's get one group of guys...train them and leave them be! Why do you think Red Aurbach's Celtics won so much? because Parish, Bird, Mchale, Ainge and Johnson played so long with each other they new each others moves before they made them. So lets try that here...if not, Canes are gonna be racking up a lot of frequent flyer miles with all these trades...no wonder tickets are so high!!! Hope they fly Southwest!!!

Yea....'ol Ruthefords at it again. if the 'Canes lose a game he starts making phone calls. why can't you hone what you've got. You will never win games when you have a revolving door at the RBC Center. I live within 10 min of RBC I should be a caniac. I still like watching them play. However, front office issues has led me astray and I have been a Red Wing fan since 2002. Come on guys... shut the revolving door get these players in shape. It reminds me of NASCAR. They'll take a car to a track with the same track conditions as the year before but make a 1000 changes and end up in the back of the field. Let's get one group of guys...train them and leave them be! Why do you think Red Aurbach's Celtics won so much? because Parish, Bird, Mchale, Ainge and Johnson played so long with each other they new each others moves before they made them. So lets try that here...if not, Canes are gonna be racking up a lot of frequent flyer miles with all these trades...no wonder tickets are so high!!! Hope they fly Southwest!!!

Ease up on the moves this time. J.R. got a new cook, and the new cook wants to pick a few of the ingredients. Also, comparing this team to the Celtics with a whole lineup of perenial All-Stars is a bit unfair. If I had an NHL team of All-Stars, I could coach and not need to make a lot of roster moves.

Depends what kind of mood JR was in. If he was simmering from the last few days, I bet he went Amtrack. If he had some early eggnog, by plane.

My best guess, his Amtrack arrives in Albany early tomorrow morning after making at least 8 stops along the way.

Warning:Sarcasm

That started my morning off right with a huge laugh. As one who went from Raleigh to DC on Amtrak, I can avow that traveling that way would punish anyone! Thanks for the humor.

Melichar has a one way contract.

Anyway, with all the injuries to our defenseman, you keep the lesser of the two evils. Babchuk is ok, Melichar is just outright horrible. And since both are on one way contracts, its amazing enough that JR is going to eat Melichar's $1M having him in Albany, I don't see him eating both their salaries of $2M.

It's my understanding that Melicar cleared waivers a week or so ago, so with no takers moving him to Albany was set. Maybe that move will wake up Babs ... let him see that he could be next in line for the same path.

I sure would like to see Brookbank put on that path as well. I realize he's the biggest guy we have and so he's the chosen protector, but in reality HE's NOT. Yeh he'll throw the gloves down once in a while, but he's not a fierce checker and not much of a forward. (wasn't he a D-man previously ? )Canes won't miss his fighting (in)abilities and lack of offensive skills.

Don't watch much soccer, do you? Bad example. You will see more "hits" in a soccer game than in a hockey game. Those hits are skin on skin. Soccer players don't go out with helmets, shoulder pads, shin pads, body armour, etc., to protect themselves. They take each others legs out from behind, go up and crack heads, and this is the stuff you can write without getting *editted*. :rolleyes: Ever had somebody subtly kick your ankle bone with the side of his shoe sole? I've seen 14 year olds who were masters at it. The only thing that holds these guys back is the knowledge of sure retalliation -- and of course, ejection. And those men don't have to have an "enforcer" to fight there battles them. BTW Did you see the defender who head butt his opponent in the World Cup Finals? :o

Sorry to derail but I couldn't not respond...

Don't watch any real sports do you? How many soccer players do you see go out for the season with those bonecrushing "hits" you refer to? Stitches? Teeth knocked out? Broken bones? Cut with a skate? Concussion? THought so... With no protecive equipment you should see them dropping like flys from the brutal "hits". There is a reason why they have thick socks and nothing else, a shin bruise is a bad day in soccer. These are the same tough guys that when they get brushed are laying on the ground crying and rolling around like they have been shot until they see a yellow card or red card for the opposition then jump up like its their birthday... It's called a dive, try calling a few of those and I might take soccer seriously, Oh that's right we don't have a dive in soccer we want a bunch of drama queens rolling around on the grass.

Yeah I watched the World Cup where he head butted his opponent after the opponent made a comment to him ever seen 5'7" Scott Walker pummel someone for a bad hit on his teamate... Enforcer???? Hahaha!!!

Sorry I might have missed that part in the WC when I doozed off waiting on something to happen...

When you have played Lacrosse, hockey, football, or rugby and seen the damage that results from that come back and talk to me about hits. I have played three out of the four (no I can't skate) in addition to soccer and there is no comparison. Athletically, no argument that those guys /girls run up and down the field for 90 minutes with few stops, but as far as physical, Basketball is more physical and is considered a non contact sport. Soccer is a great aerobic excercise and requires a great deal of talent and skill, but physical is way down the list of adjectives to describe it.

Last point after having coached youth football in Cary for well over a decade I have never had a parent come to me concerned or wondering about having their child play soccer after playing football but I have had alot of conversations with soccer parents about little Johnny being scared of getting hit and alot of subsequent "withdraw" paperwork when the soccer player got hit the first time on the football field and many of these are the Junior High kids you refer to.

To try to get back on track we are hitting like tennis players and need the physical presense the Tim and Casey will bring. They certainly won't be any more undependable at clearing than Melichar was Thursday.

Apologies to any tennis players I offended.

These are the same tough guys that when they get brushed are laying on the ground crying and rolling around like they have been shot until they see a yellow card or red card for the opposition then jump up like its their birthday... It's called a dive, try calling a few of those and I might take soccer seriously, Oh that's right we don't have a dive in soccer we want a bunch of drama queens rolling around on the grass.

Yep I played soccer all my life - love the game as a player but hate it as a spectator. Watch a soccer game at any level and the diving happens all the time. Diving has become a part of the game and makes soccer hard for me to take seriously. My favorite is when a guy gets touched - dives and rolls around on the turf - then the trainer comes out and squirts a little water on the affected body part and ~voila~ player is "healed" and ready to sprint rest of the game.

Agree that Canes are too soft especially with Walker and Gleason out. Hopefully the Rats make a difference like last year. Can't be much worse than it has been lately.

It's my understanding that Melicar cleared waivers a week or so ago, so with no takers moving him to Albany was set. Maybe that move will wake up Babs ... let him see that he could be next in line for the same path.

I sure would like to see Brookbank put on that path as well. I realize he's the biggest guy we have and so he's the chosen protector, but in reality HE's NOT. Yeh he'll throw the gloves down once in a while, but he's not a fierce checker and not much of a forward. (wasn't he a D-man previously ? )Canes won't miss his fighting (in)abilities and lack of offensive skills.

Yes Brookbank used to play Defense. But again I think you are being to hasty to move him to Albany, he hasn't done anything due to lack of Ice Time. Hard to do anything when you are on the bench for all but 2 min of the game.

Yeah I think Babchuk, Kaberle, Brookbank and Melichar all need to be gone. Dwyer, Borer, Conboy and Helminen should be part of the team. Not only do they have more skill, but are younger and inject energy into the team. I was saying during the summer that Borer and Conboy should've been on the team to start the year. Looking back on it I would've loved to not trade for Pitkanen and just bring up Borer (which I said they should've done in the 1st place)

Has anyone seen Babchuk get in a fight or have a really nice hit on anyone.... I can not remember one memorable check from him in the time he has been with the Canes. He is the biggest Wuss on the team and maybe in the league. I wish that he would just once show some emotion and throw his weight around. I am not sure what I dislike more about him, his attitude a couple of years ago, that wild slapshot that never seems to get on goal, or that you will see hard hits from small guys like Bayda or Larose before you will see Baby Huey hit anyone.

Ease up on the moves this time. J.R. got a new cook, and the new cook wants to pick a few of the ingredients. Also, comparing this team to the Celtics with a whole lineup of perenial All-Stars is a bit unfair. If I had an NHL team of All-Stars, I could coach and not need to make a lot of roster moves.

Your point taken but the Celtic players had to start somewhere. Canes players are all professional athletes. They wouldn't be on the team if they weren't however, some need tweaking...not trading! And the perenial all stars....if you had a front office that new how to wheel and deal, get the right combination like Boston or even my Red Wings....you wouldn't need a Coaching change, you would need the same lines practicing everyday! Rutheford's been wheeling and dealing since 2002 loss to Detroit. Then when you guys won the Cup, it went downhill from there. After our Championship earlier this year, we pretty much stayed the same with the exception of Hossa. Canes...leave well enough alone. As I said, you'll never win games when you send guys up and down like Rutheford does.

Don't watch much soccer, do you? Bad example. You will see more "hits" in a soccer game than in a hockey game. Those hits are skin on skin. Soccer players don't go out with helmets, shoulder pads, shin pads, body armour, etc., to protect themselves. They take each others legs out from behind, go up and crack heads, and this is the stuff you can write without getting *editted*. :rolleyes: Ever had somebody subtly kick your ankle bone with the side of his shoe sole? I've seen 14 year olds who were masters at it. The only thing that holds these guys back is the knowledge of sure retalliation -- and of course, ejection. And those men don't have to have an "enforcer" to fight there battles them. BTW Did you see the defender who head butt his opponent in the World Cup Finals? :o

Please! I agree that soccer is a "tough" game, but there's nothing worse in sports than watching an international soccer match and seeing those weenies throw their arms in the air and roll around in "agony" only to pop up and snidely smirk when the guy who "hurt" them is given a yellow card or a red card. The women play a tougher game than the guys.

"The only thing that hold guys back is knowledge of ejection." HA! They don't fight back because they're largely histrionic drama kings who wouldn't last a minute against a hockey player. European soccer fans are tough. The players, not so much.

As for the idiot who head-butted his opponent. Typical coward. Should've pushed the guy first to let him know what was coming and then squared off.

And to Bag12day...AMEN, brother!

Getting back to the thread...Melichar was bad even when he played for Pittsburgh. He was bad about screening his own goalie so they dropped him. Let him stay overseas! Babs, I never really cared for either but he is the less fo the two evils. Kabs, Lord bless his soul, has had SO many injuries he cannot take the bumping and grinding anymore. Once he is healed, put him on waviers!!

Conboy deserves to be up! Borer deserves to be up! and LaCouture should be brought back up. They all provide a good toughness that we could get rid of Brookbank too!

Anyway, I am just enjoying beating th Caps last night! Time to rub a friends nose in it.

Getting back to the thread...Melichar was bad even when he played for Pittsburgh. He was bad about screening his own goalie so they dropped him. Let him stay overseas! Babs, I never really cared for either but he is the less fo the two evils. Kabs, Lord bless his soul, has had SO many injuries he cannot take the bumping and grinding anymore. Once he is healed, put him on waviers!!

Conboy deserves to be up! Borer deserves to be up! and LaCouture should be brought back up. They all provide a good toughness that we could get rid of Brookbank too!

Anyway, I am just enjoying beating th Caps last night! Time to rub a friends nose in it.

My problem with that is Brashear was spoiling for a fight the other night with Tim and he let it go twice. If that was Brookbank we would have seen gloves come off but we can't afford to lose Conboy to something stupid so kudos to him for having the good sense to let it go. Yeah he could probably take care of himself but what if??? and then we are down yet another Dman. I am in no way a Brookbank guy but if someone has to take on Laraque or Brashear or Parros or Boogaard it should not be someone we will miss if they are decapitated by one of them. Tim and Casey played a very good game and don't think that Melichar will be missed at all.