The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hctimo787

Fans should give Maurice a chance

I think he is doing fine. Canes were really attacking the puck and shot a lot! they were very aggressive on offense, alittle more work needs to be done down by the defensive zone, with cam not back we really need tight D down there. I'm also glad Francis is working with Staal to improve his playing lately. If we have fewer injuries i think we will be a great team!

Is the writer of the article a fan who spends large amounts of hard-earned, (or small loans) money for tickets or ticket plans? Having patience can be very costly in today's pro sports.

Is the writer of the article a fan who spends large amounts of hard-earned, (or small loans) money for tickets or ticket plans? Having patience can be very costly in today's pro sports.

Dave, are you saying your comments are made on this board are based on your financial condition, not your hockey knowledge? :rolleyes: I can relate to being stressed out due to the economy and sometimes that has an affect on other areas of my life. If attending games puts a financial hardship on you or your family, perhaps catching games when tickets are $9.99 is a better choice. :)

Simmons brings up some good points. Mo did a great job with the Marlies and was then given the Leafs job when it came open. Toronto is a hotbed for hockey and it is a very big deal to be chosen to coach there. I hope he is able to help this team. At least McCarthy is in the press box now. ;) I think it will take a little bit for him to change things so I am trying to be patient. It is hard when we keep losing. It certainly doesn't help having Cam out along with Seids. and Gleason.

He didn't just fail to 'win the Cup'. He missed the playoffs two years in a row. When an author intentionally misleads the reader like this, they drop several notches on my 'respect-o-meter'.

Hmmm...missing the playoffs two years in a row and getting fired. Sounds vaguely familiar. ;)

He didn't just fail to 'win the Cup'. He missed the playoffs two years in a row. When an author intentionally misleads the reader like this, they drop several notches on my 'respect-o-meter'.

Just where did Simmons imply that Maurice can only be blamed for not winning the Cup? Or JR mention that Maurice was the only option? Talk about a intentionally misleading statement to discredit an article.

I think that Brad's no-nonsense comments are dead on too. Even if it has only been 5 years, I'm willing to wait and see what Maurice (and Francis) can do. There are no indications at all that he will ever revert to those out dated tactics like the bashing prophets claim.

Dave, are you saying your comments are made on this board are based on your financial condition, not your hockey knowledge? :rolleyes: I can relate to being stressed out due to the economy and sometimes that has an affect on other areas of my life. If attending games puts a financial hardship on you or your family, perhaps catching games when tickets are $9.99 is a better choice. :)

some of us spend more than $9.99 to see the games! some of us bring along family and friends, so don't knock someone that is fed up with the cash outlay for this kind of *edit*. of course, if you want to ease my burden then you can pay for my season tickets making it free to me and then i won't care if Ron The Ref and Stormy coach the team.

So the only option was Maurice? That's ridiculous. Needing a change from Laviolette didn't automatically mean they had to pick Maurice. That selection is entirely on J.R. Promoting Rowe would have been the cheaper solution, and wouldn't presume that a good percentage of the paying fans are amnesiacs.

Another straw man argument. Disagreeing with the hiring of Maurice does not equate to 'throw(ing) the team under the bus'. If JR was so incredibly confient in Maurice's ability.. and this was a carefully-planned hiring intended to work out over the long-term.. then it is extremely strange his contract is only through the end of the year. That almost sounds like JR and Maurice are viewing this as a temporary stop-gap measure, doesn't it?

It was fairly clear where the team was headed under Laviolette. As I mentioned, the usual December Death Spiral just started a little early this year.. taking the coach with it. Although it is unlikely his replacement (a career 344-396-99 record, with 38 OTL) will be able to turn it around, it is always possible. And if not, the way is being smoothed for Ron Francis to take over next year. But to expect any Canes fan to be enthusiastic at the return of Paul Maurice, and start 'filling the RBC', makes me wonder whether the columnist suffered a sharp blow to the head sometime after 2003.

There were other options than bringing back the losingest coach in canes history (if they can point to his 267 wins as the winningest record in franchise history then i can point to the 406 losses and call him a loser).

We already gave him a chance and he blew it with mind-numbing boring hockey, an unmotivated, selfish group of players and cheery optomistic excuses for why the team wasn't perfomring well. Why do we have to GIVE him anything?

So, we should give Maurice a chance? We already did, and he was fired. Don't be fooled.....he may be the winningest coach in franchise history, but he is also the losingest coach in franchise history.

"Meet the new boss, it's the same as the old boss................We won't be fooled again"

I'm dropping from the full season ticket in lower bowl premier section, and going back upstairs at either the 10 or 24 next year. Then, I'll buy single game tickets. I WILL NOT give this franchise >$5K/year anymore.

So, we should give Maurice a chance? We already did, and he was fired. Don't be fooled.....he may be the winningest coach in franchise history, but he is also the losingest coach in franchise history.

"Meet the new boss, it's the same as the old boss................We won't be fooled again"

I'm dropping from the full season ticket in lower bowl premier section, and going back upstairs at either the 10 or 24 next year. Then, I'll buy single game tickets. I WILL NOT give this franchise >$5K/year anymore.

same here, my GF stated we could use that money to remodel the bathroom!! If I am going to throw money down the crapper then it might as well be there.

Just where did Simmons imply that Maurice can only be blamed for not winning the Cup?

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. "Maurice can only be blamed for not winning the Cup"? The columnist presented a statement that insinuated that being a coach in Toronto was an incredible honor. He clarified this by acknowledging that Maurice got fired there too, but explained it by describing Toronto as a play where you either win the Cup, or you're out. I pointed out that Maurice wasn't fired because he didn't win the Cup in two years.. he got fired for not making the playoffs in either year he was there. Do you see the difference in the two levels of failure? Hint: Maurice's failure is larger.

Or JR mention that Maurice was the only option?

I don't know where you got the idea I was referring to JR having said that. The columnist, who is not JR, said that a change had to be made, and then proceeded to justify the Maurice signing. I am pointing out that one does not necessarily follow the other. You can be for the firing of Laviolette, and also against the hiring of Maurice. In fact, I'd consider that particular combination to be somewhat reflective of a large percentage of Caniac Nation.

Talk about a intentionally misleading statement to discredit an article.

Yes, when you rewrite my comments into something else entirely, they cease to make sense. Not very surprising, really.

some of us spend more than $9.99 to see the games! some of us bring along family and friends, so don't knock someone that is fed up with the cash outlay for this kind of *edit*. of course, if you want to ease my burden then you can pay for my season tickets making it free to me and then i won't care if Ron The Ref and Stormy coach the team.

Oh my goodness. I wasn't knocking anybody for being fed up, I was just noticing that the comments were made based on how much money they spent. And I was responding to someone who calls himself IceDave. You aren't using 2 usernames by any chance, are you?

With all due respect I'll say the same thing to you, if ticket purchases are a financial burden, perhaps you should consider not buying them. Regardless, there are thousands who buy tickets who are not running the team down, who are supporting the team and the team management's decisions. Those decisions are made for the teams best interest -- including re-hiring Paul Maurice -- whether we like them or not. I don't think JR will start conducting polls to find out what any of us want. :unsure:

Again, I'm not knocking anyone about anything for any reason. I just suggested if there was a problem paying for STs in the current ecomomic environment, perhaps season tickets was a bad idea, that $9.99 family night tickets might be a more prudent choice.

If we need to make further comments of a personal nature, perhaps we should make them on PM. Have a nice day and GO CANES, GO MO. :)

This has turned into the most ridiculous thread I've seen. <_< I didn't agree with/like the choice of bringing back Maurice, but guess what.....he's here. Deal with it. Seems Samsonov had a a pretty dismal past after some early success..he seemed to work out OK.

If the team is going to mail it in every game (like they had been doing under Lavi) I personnally won't waste the money going. It's a long drive and I can turn it off with my remote in my living room. That doesn't seem to be the case however. There is a promising change in style and intensity these 1st 2 games with Mo, Ronni and Rowe. It's actually entertaining again. I'll pay for that.

So you can either hold your breath, stomp your feet and throw poo at the computer and TV because Mo is here

or

You can hope for the best, watch, see and support the team through this transition. Then if it doesn't work hold your breath, stomp your feet and throw poo at the computer and TV. I'll tell you what though, it's pretty awesome having NHL hockey here in Carolina.

If the Canes miss the playoffs again, I don't see them drawing up a new contract for Maurice. After the current Toronto contract expires, I really think they'll let him go and give Francis a try.

If the Canes miss the playoffs again, I don't see them drawing up a new contract for Maurice. After the current Toronto contract expires, I really think they'll let him go and give Francis a try.

I agree but...let's burn that bridge when we get there. It hasn't been a week. Give him a chance. If he doesn't change things around then give him the gate. But let's give it a chance (like we have a choice :rolleyes: ).

Thought I'd post this here since the other thread was locked:

Laviolette has had a problem making the tough calls. Don't know if he just hasn't made them, or if they weren't his to make, but he blew the last two seasons. All the minor players that were brought up to play for the veterans out with injuries last year that were sent back down, just when they looked best was a fiasco. Deer in the hadlights looks said it all when they lost the playoffs... why? When players aren't getting it done, they need to ride the bench, or find some other line of work. Where's the decision making been? As far as Maurice coming back, why do they think ANY of what I've just said will change? This is a nightmare. If I just wanted club hockey, I'd just continue to play myself, but I'm paying for tickets for this mess. And Please...PLEASE don't let Francis take over when this too ends with another off season of golf. Where's Brind'amore in all this, anyway? And when will Ward become something more than a cardboard cutout of the Smythe trophy? Let the nightmare end, practice what you're going to do, and then let the players play with some clue as to what they're doing.

I agree with most of what you say, especially the "Back to the Future" move of bringing Maurice back again. I will say they seemed to be playing with more heart against the Flyers, but just made too many mistakes.

I also think that the 'big scorers' seem to be out thinking themselves and forcing things. The one goal from last night didn't feel forced it was just them playing hockey. Watch the power plays: they are trying very very hard to set things up and I think it's getting in the way of their instincts and it's getting into their head.

I think they really really really want Francis to take the job but don't feel it's fair to throw him in mid-season. Doing things this way gives Francis a taste without his name being tarnished.

Brind'amour doesn't seem to be very engaged and is the slowest Cane on the ice (now that Melichar has been sent away ...ok maybe Brookbank is slower too, but it's close! ;) ) I would love to see Rod traded for Owen Nolan (something I've seen tossed around on a couple message boards). I think he's got the fire that is missing from this team. Rod is capable of it as well, but for whatever reason isn't showing it. Which makes things even worse since he wears the "C".

I know I'll get slammed for this but I think if the Canes are out of the payoffs by the trade deadline, Brindy might be traded to a team that's in - for the same reason we picked up Recchi and Weight - just to add someone with cup playoff experience and maturity. I don't know if he's providing some intangible leadership thing we don't see, but he's certainly skating and stickhandling like he's playing injured. The same was said about him all last season. They tried a new coach, now maybe it's time to try new on-ice leadership.

Oh my goodness. I wasn't knocking anybody for being fed up, I was just noticing that the comments were made based on how much money they spent. And I was responding to someone who calls himself IceDave. You aren't using 2 usernames by any chance, are you?

With all due respect I'll say the same thing to you, if ticket purchases are a financial burden, perhaps you should consider not buying them. Regardless, there are thousands who buy tickets who are not running the team down, who are supporting the team and the team management's decisions. Those decisions are made for the teams best interest -- including re-hiring Paul Maurice -- whether we like them or not. I don't think JR will start conducting polls to find out what any of us want. :unsure:

Again, I'm not knocking anyone about anything for any reason. I just suggested if there was a problem paying for STs in the current ecomomic environment, perhaps season tickets was a bad idea, that $9.99 family night tickets might be a more prudent choice.

If we need to make further comments of a personal nature, perhaps we should make them on PM. Have a nice day and GO CANES, GO MO. :)

So I should interpret that you are not as concerned about the quality of the "show" we watch as much as we should support it no matter what. When I pay my $10,000/year for four seats (and have for 11 years), I expect a quality effort every night/every game. JR/MO and the rest of the management team want us to accept poor quality and that is not acceptable.

Well i was scratching my head with the rest of your guys when i heard he was coming back but this is who we have so lets get behind him and hope that things turn around. After 3 games it looks like the team is getting better and no matter how you feel about MO its hard to complain when the team is playing better! Looks like Paul and Ronnie work well together!

Well i was scratching my head with the rest of your guys when i heard he was coming back but this is who we have so lets get behind him and hope that things turn around. After 3 games it looks like the team is getting better and no matter how you feel about MO its hard to complain when the team is playing better! Looks like Paul and Ronnie work well together!

Same here...Mo would not have been my first pick, but then again nobody asked me and I'm pretty sure I won't be looking at a consulting fee for the next round of talks.

BUT. You have to admit, we are looking much better. We are carrying the puck and shooting a lot more (even strength, anyway) and the D is...they are...well, it's pretty much literally a different line up game to game. They'll just have to figure it out as they go!

Looks like Paul and Ronnie work well together!

I like to call the combo "MoRon" no offense meant, just sounds kinda cool. I agree, these are our coaches now, get your fanhood on the train and hope that they can get this ship running in the right direction. (do I get points for transportation metaphors?)

----------------

Now playing: The Morons - Dancin' Fool[/post]

via FoxyTunes

Couldn't agree more.. there's been alot of chatter on the bench amongst the coaching staff too, means they are all on the same page. I think Pauly and Ronnie are what this team needs moving forward with this season! We will make the playoffs.. and do well ( I know, bold statements.. but I gotta feeling on this one!). Ronnie might be a head coach in training, and Maurice isn't a bad teacher, especially with the way the game has become more of a defensive game since the '05-'06 season. GO 'CANES!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more.. there's been alot of chatter on the bench amongst the coaching staff too, means they are all on the same page. I think Pauly and Ronnie are what this team needs moving forward with this season! We will make the playoffs.. and do well ( I know, bold statements.. but I gotta feeling on this one!). Ronnie might be a head coach in training, and Maurice isn't a bad teacher, especially with the way the game has become more of a defensive game since the '05-'06 season. GO 'CANES!!!!!!!

There has been a lot of chatter between the coaches/players. Multiple times I've seen Francis talk to a player after a shift, pointing out on the ice giving pointers or whatever. I've also noticed Rowe very engaged with the defense, having the same communication throughout the game. When the Caps took a time out right before their 5-on-3, Rowe was intently talking to Corvo and Carson on what he wanted them do.