The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GOCANES1311

Our leader

I voted other for Cullen. Cullen has been vocal whenever asked about the press what the problem is. His line has been consistent more than any other line. I think LaRose should be put back on the Cullen line and let them take the minutes from the top two lines. If the Staal and Brind'Amour line wants to play they should produce. Its basic supply and demand, Cullen and co are supplying the goals they should be demanding more time.

Of the three wearing letters none of them appear to be a vocal leader. They are lead by example and what great examples they are setting with their lack of intensity on the ice. Give me someone who you can't question effort on the ice and says what needs to be said-- Scottie. Ruutu definitely deserves an A. A great fill in when Scottie's out because he gave it 100%.

Did you notice Brindy on the ice last night? I did --->two turnovers on one shift with one going for a goal. Tell me what Rod has done to spark this team this year. League leader in the minus column. Did you notice Staal on the ice last night? Nope. Enough said about these two supposed leaders on the team. Getting whacked by the Pens and can't even put a good check on somebody.

Gleason. He's experienced but young enough he should be around awhile. He's one of the few who's seemed to really take ownership of the situation here before he got hurt, rather than falling back on the same ol' cliches.

Of the three wearing letters none of them appear to be a vocal leader. They are lead by example and what great examples they are setting with their lack of intensity on the ice. Give me someone who you can't question effort on the ice and says what needs to be said-- Scottie. Ruutu definitely deserves an A. A great fill in when Scottie's out because he gave it 100%.

Did you notice Brindy on the ice last night? I did --->two turnovers on one shift with one going for a goal. Tell me what Rod has done to spark this team this year. League leader in the minus column. Did you notice Staal on the ice last night? Nope. Enough said about these two supposed leaders on the team. Getting whacked by the Pens and can't even put a good check on somebody.

i noticed staal last night.. he wasn't awful, he tried to make things happen.

I want to know who you think the "Real" leader is. Not your favorite. But the person who will lead us to the cup!

personally, i choose Ruttu.

Ruttu is a good choice. i do not know why people want Staal to become our captin he has not been scoring like last year..... I think either Ruttu or Ray W. They both score lots of goals and play with heart. ;)

Seriously Walker? The guy who can't stay healthy....may be he can be like a coach?

Walker's intensity can't be beat when he is on the ice, and then all the "this is Staal's team" folks can have Staal be a stand in when Walker is injured, makes perfect sense. The other A Whitney or Ruutu. ;)

Tonight there were actually 3 different leaders on the ice............ believe it or not, Staal. Whitney and Brind'Amour all showed up too play! WOW!!! Leights didn't look too bad either! Thank you 'Canes for showing a little heart tonight!!! Great win, let's keep'em coming!!! GO CANEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Capitals: 1

'Canes: 3

Staal: Game winning goal

Whitney: 2 Goals

Brind'Amour: 2 Assists, +2 rating

Ruttu is a good choice. i do not know why people want Staal to become our captin he has not been scoring like last year..... I think either Ruttu or Ray W. They both score lots of goals and play with heart. ;)
It doesn't have anything to do with scoring points and shouldn't be a popularity contest! Some of the best Captains in the NHL are defensemen or even in one case a Goalie. A team Captain is a leader and can be vocal in the locker room and on the ice or can be a quiet leader who leads by example. There is one thing I would look for as a captain and that is 100% effort every shift on the ice. Staal hasn't done that and whether it's becasue of injury or not is TBD. Walker is a guy all the players respect and gives a 100% every shift IMNSHO. He is one I often see talking to his linemates during the game or in practice about what could have been done differently.

RUUTU would be a good choice too but he probably needs a bit more seasoning.

This is Staal's team.

Why? Has he shown some type of leadership qualities? Based on the length of his contract or because he is one of the annointed faces of the NHL? I say no and for the same reason Crosby should not be the pens captain. Leadership is learned and earned. I have not seen Staal earn it as yet.

I would rather see a "C" on Whitney or Walker.

Just my opinion.

Don't forget Williams is back. An alllstar and leader when he hits his stride. I think we'll be hearing more from him as he gets back up to speed.

I think it should be Whitney. Staal is too young. They need to have mature leadership. Staal still needs to mature. I think Staal (or any of the younger ones) really need to earn their right to lead a team. Whitney has been around. I can't even talk about consistency because there doesn't seem to be any from anyone at the moment.

I agree Staal needs to mature, but you can be young and still a good captain, Crosby (Penguins) Richards (Flyers)

right now i look at our team, and i dont see a formidable leader. Ruutu produces well, wallin when not injured is great, but we have to look at is, who are thoes who show up night in and night out, play their time, make plays, make checks, and rally the guys. This i feel imo is ruutu. Since his quick arrival to the team he has come in and played like hes been here for the last 5 years. He makes things happen, i think thats who our next leader is. at the very least give him the A.

I voted for OTHER, and it was meant for Danny LaCouture. Now, before you go all 'Hey Kaberlay, that is stupid' Think about this. In games which he has light the lamp, we are guaranteed to get a point. That is FACT. Obviously Brind'Amour is washed up as he has a low minus rating. We should probably take the C away from Rod, as others have hinted at. This would help to unify the team. The players obviously do not consider Rod a leader due to his minus rating, he is dragging the team down. This begs the question, do we give Rod an A if we take the C away? Or do we throw our ex-'captain' in the trash can? I cannot think of an example of him showing leadership in his tenure here, so lets strip him of a letter and give it to someone like Ruttu, like others have suggested. I am sure the team would rally around him. But LaCouture has been a great story. He signed autographs for my 5 year old after practice one day, when he was OBVIOUSLY in a hurry. Where was our captain??? Riding the exercise bike is what the trainer said. I'd rather have someone who is more dedicated to the fans.

.... Where was our captain??? Riding the exercise bike is what the trainer said. I'd rather have someone who is more dedicated to the fans.

***SARCASM ALERT***

how DARE Rod try to stay fit and excersice. What kind of captain cares about fitness???? HUH?? Are you kidding me? Whats staying in shape got to do with hockey??? :lol::lol:

Sorry...im bored at work and this just popped in my head..LMAO!!! Not flaming at ya! ;)

ruutu has the grit and effort but he doesnt have the english language down yet, he may try to give a motivational speech and no one but paitkanen will know what hes saying.

ruutu has the grit and effort but he doesnt have the english language down yet, he may try to give a motivational speech and no one but paitkanen will know what hes saying.

Wallin might too, Finland and Sweden are awfully close :lol:

Off topic somewhat, but an educational fun fact, in reference to the above post:

Unless Wallin just happens to know Finnish, he doesn't understand what Pitkanen/Ruutu would be talking about either. Finnish is absolutely nothing like Swedish, which may be surprising considering their proximity. Swedish is very Germanic, while Finnish sounds nothing like anything except Estonian.

Well according to his bio Ruutu can speak English, Finnish, Swedish, and German, so I think he has most of the language barriers covered LOL.

Given he's RFA at the end of the season, I think I'd work on locking him up long term before I slapped an 'A' on his chest. Not that I think either idea is a bad one.