The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac59

New Team With 2 Coaches in 9 Seasons with 2 Stanley Cup Runs Each

JR does more with less than any GM in the league IMO. He's like a lot of us without unlimited resources, he has to bargain hunt. (Most of us fantasize about what we should do and who we should bring in as if we had unlimited resources.) He has to drive "used cars" and have them be as reliable as new transportation. The hiring of Mo, coupled with the shifting of Ron Francis' duties, is actually brilliant. Of course we don't/didn't see that. We are not brilliant, certainly not at hockey. If we were we wouldn't be here with our inane posts. ;) If a move that JR makes is clearly seen by all as "the right move," it probably is not. Yet his moves more often than not turn out. He makes high risk, high reward moves. This is one of those and no one will know if it was high reward or big bust until the season plays out. I'm betting on high reward because of JR's track record.

I say Brilliant! Think about what we have accomplished in our first 9 seasons because of JR's decisions. Yes our last 2 seasons have been failures, but the positive out weighs the negative. Hopefully JR has us on the right tract. Think about it, a new team in the South in 9 seasons with only 2 coaches hired by this GM and both taking their teams to the Stanley Cup run with one of them winning it. How many teams out there can claim this? None! Look at Buffalo, they have never won a Stanley Cup and have more fans, sold out arenas, some of the best players in history on their team, and have been around a lot of years in the NHL, etc. I'm sure other teams can be pointed out with their failures who have been around the NHL a lot longer.

Ok I was rocket-shelled shocked last week with the announcement of Mo's return just like everyone else and not really happy about it. Now that it has sunk in and I have put it all in perspective I'm feeling more positive about how things are going now. I won't even be surprised if we don't go to the playoffs again this season, but am more hopeful now that we will.

As angry as some are with JR, look at the BIG picture of our history and that is the only conclusion we can concede. We really do have a brilliant GM. Of course he has made some mistakes in the past and with this season. This season may end up being a big mistake, but I have the confidence he will learn from it, grow from it and make the right adjustments because of it for the future of this team.

My issues are with some of our effortless players at this point, not our GM.

Someone may have to copy my post and remind me of it in the future if I get upset with JR.-lol.

Please don't give up on this GM and this team just yet. Go Canes!

I say Brilliant! Think about what we have accomplished in our first 9 seasons because of JR's decisions. Yes our last 2 seasons have been failures, but the positive out weighs the negative. Hopefully JR has us on the right tract. Think about it, a new team in the South in 9 seasons with only 2 coaches hired by this GM and both taking their teams to the Stanley Cup run with one of them winning it. How many teams out there can claim this? None! Look at Buffalo, they have never won a Stanley Cup and have more fans, sold out arenas, some of the best players in history on their team, and have been around a lot of years in the NHL, etc. I'm sure other teams can be pointed out with their failures who have been around the NHL a lot longer.

Ok I was rocket-shelled shocked last week with the announcement of Mo's return just like everyone else and not really happy about it. Now that it has sunk in and I have put it all in perspective I'm feeling more positive about how things are going now. I won't even be surprised if we don't go to the playoffs again this season, but am more hopeful now that we will.

As angry as some are with JR, look at the BIG picture of our history and that is the only conclusion we can concede. We really do have a brilliant GM. Of course he has made some mistakes in the past and with this season. This season may end up being a big mistake, but I have the confidence he will learn from it, grow from it and make the right adjustments because of it for the future of this team.

My issues are with some of our effortless players at this point, not our GM.

Someone may have to copy my post and remind me of it in the future if I get upset with JR.-lol.

Please don't give up on this GM and this team just yet. Go Canes!

You won't get any arguements from me!!!

Especially since i'm from upstate Ny and was a huge Sabres fan :unsure: and still a loyal Buffalo Bills fan. :blink:

Especially since i'm from upstate Ny and was a huge Sabres fan :unsure: and still a loyal Buffalo Bills fan. :blink:

Dj! Now it all makes sense to me :P

DJ!!!! my fellow mebanite!!!! im sooooooooooooooo happy you emphasized the word "was" :lol:

DJ!!!! my fellow mebanite!!!! im sooooooooooooooo happy you emphasized the word "was" :lol:

Yep, its hard to believe how much i dislike them when they are playing the Canes! Plus the fact that the Fans that come here embarrass me to death!

I think JR is one of the very best GM's in the league. Look at his moves and the frequency he has been right about a player past their prime, or getting in a guy less appreciated (Matt Cullen/Justin Williams/Cory Stillman for some) and that guy working well in our system. Sure theres an occasional Belanger but those are rare.

He's an idiot! What happens behind the scenes? I've seem too many ?? on moves that Lavi made and Mo has made to think he is not trying to futz around with the on ice performance. When the Canes had continuity and played with passion, we had somehting. Now it is all about CYA and playing for a contract. Unfortunately the worst has yet to come. CaniacsHubby, you missed the point entirely, the dump and chase got us the cup 2 years ago, should we change it up a bit? absolutely, but MO dont know how, why not truly support the guy that got you the cup and let him figure it out, not pull a Millbury (idiot squared)!

Yep, its hard to believe how much i dislike them when they are playing the Canes! Plus the fact that the Fans that come here embarrass me to death!

I am from Lockport, NY and moved here about 10 years ago. I was also big sabres fan, attending their triple overtime, game 6, "No goal" game. I also share your embarrassment. A friend and I went to the Eastern conference finals games a few years back in Buffalo. The first game(game 3 of the series) the Sabres won and we were relentlessly attacked many times walking from the arena. Throwing beer and spitting on us, it was quite sad. I do not understand that type of mentality, .....let's fight over a sports team, duh.

Buffalo is a dying city and the people that can move elsewhere, do, the rest, remain there and rot :)