The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
monkeygruven

Hurricanes on pace to sneak into Playoffs

That is the saddest thing I've seen so far. Compare last year's 8th seed of 94 points, and it's possible we might sneak in at 82?

There's possible, and then there's reaching.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how the pacing continues for this club. 82 surely won't cut it. I'd say at least 88, as there seems to be a little more parity within the conference this year (so far, at least).

Somebody is going to have a hot streak (hopefully you-know-who) and raise the bar on that 8th spot. 82 points isn't going to be enough. I'd say a minimum of 90 pts.

I'm with ya on this SD! Plus i would rather charge into the playoffs instead of sneaking in!

we shoulda "snuk" in for the past 2 years! A little early to go by stats like that, especially with how inconsistant we have been. I say make your own destiny, win more, and there is no reason to be sneaky. :)

I'll throw my vote in with the NOT SNEAKY camp. Let's plan ahead to go crashing headlong into the playoffs. Now if somebody will please let the team know that we've discussed it and we're not willing to negotiate.

So they are currently 4 points behind Washington for the division lead and we are talking about "sneaking" into the playoffs. Shouldn't we be thinking about playing more consistent and winning the VERY WINNABLE division?

So they are currently 4 points behind Washington for the division lead and we are talking about "sneaking" into the playoffs. Shouldn't we be thinking about playing more consistent and winning the VERY WINNABLE division?

Could not of said it any better. The only sure way to make the playoffs is to win the division. It is far to early to give up and start looking for

the back door into the playoffs. I agree this division is VERY WINNABLE. We just need to play every game the way we played the other night.

Could not of said it any better. The only sure way to make the playoffs is to win the division. It is far to early to give up and start looking for

the back door into the playoffs. I agree this division is VERY WINNABLE. We just need to play every game the way we played the other night.

I agree 100% with the last couple of comments, but if you really want to see the probability of any team making the playoffs check out this website

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Hurricanes.html' target="_blank">http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern...Hurricanes.html[/post]

This is how they have the Canes as of 12-10

Chance of making the playoffs: 45.5 %

Average finish: 8.45

These odds change everyday based on games played the previous day.

But if we continue to improve we should move this stat higher, tomorrow against the Flyers will have an big impact on this percentage as they predict the Flyers and Caps to finish a little in front of us, but enough to push us past 8th place

PS

This site had us making the playoffs last year all they way until the last couple of days, and was correct :o

I was going to start a separate thread on an unbiased rating of the Canes. My question fits in this thread. How good a team are the Canes? Are they good enough to contend for the Division? Or, are they at best, an average hockey team? Until this team breaks out and wins a majority of the games it plays, Caniacs will not have to concern themselves with coming up a deposit on playoff tickets come the Ides of March.

I was going to start a separate thread on an unbiased rating of the Canes. My question fits in this thread. How good a team are the Canes? Are they good enough to contend for the Division? Or, are they at best, an average hockey team? Until this team breaks out and wins a majority of the games it plays, Caniacs will not have to concern themselves with coming up a deposit on playoff tickets come the Ides of March.

If Staal returns to form we will suddenly be a good team. If Staal and somehow Brind'Amour both return to form we would be a very good team. If they do not return to form we are an average team due to our improved goaltending. Perhaps just below .500. If Staal and Brindy do not return to form and the goaltending slips, start looking at top draft picks.

Don't forget the Justin Williams factor. I doubt any of those computers take into account that now we got a 20+ goal scorer back, as JR said its like getting a new player via trade. I'm optimistic that #11 will have a huge impact 2nd half of the season.

Power Play 29th

Penalty Kill 21st

Goals scored (2.5) 25th

Goals against (2.93) 18th

These are the stats for a bottom tier team and not those of a playoff contender. Unless the Canes can pull things together and play as a team, it will be another year out of the playoffs and another increase in prices for the 2009-2010 season.

Then there's the fact that until yesterday not a single Hurricanes player was in the top 50 in the NHL in scoring (goals, assists or points). Staal just creeped into 46th position yesterday. We aren't scoring enough goals consistently, we have a marginal defense even when everyone is healthy (we have a mostly minor-league defense right now), and the goaltending ranges from inconsistent to awful. I don't know what magic anyone expects from Maurice with a team that shows little motivation, little pride, and little desire to put in 100% effort for sixty minutes. I expect we'll see more trades coming up.

Using an objective eye, this team is average in the NHL at best. When the Canes come up on an oppenents schedule, what do opposing fans think? I doubt the Canes scare anyone. Think through the Canes lines and pairings, how many would play on a lower line or fewer minutes on most other teams? Honestly, would any other team have actually played Melichar this year? Then the goaltending on the whole is average, great at times and suspect at others but on the whole middle of the pack or a little better for this league. The problem I see with this is that it only leads to more of the same year after year. I'd like to see the team either commit and pay for some power and scoring or throw in the towel and "earn" some great draft picks.

The problem I see with this is that it only leads to more of the same year after year. I'd like to see the team either commit and pay for some power and scoring or throw in the towel and "earn" some great draft picks.

During their glory years the motto of the Oakland Raiders as "A Commitment to Excellence." The product the Canes have put on the ice the past few years seems to indicate the Canes have a "Commitment to Mediocrity."

Since the year the Canes won the Cup, what has been their longest winning streak? Do the Canes, as a team, show a sixty minute effort for every game? Since the owener doesn't seem willing (or, is able) to spend the buck for the high price talent, is it better to acknowledge the fact and build a team through the draft?

With the craps and kitty cats both winning last night the old Paul Simon song comes to mind. I see our playoff hopes "slip sliding away" We are now in third in the division a point behind the cats :(

I can't help but think that if the end-of-season positioning is even worse this year (i.e. we aren't even in contention for a playoff spot in the last week or two) JR's job is going to be on the line. Who else is to blame for a team with so little chemistry.

With the craps and kitty cats both winning last night the old Paul Simon song comes to mind. I see our playoff hopes "slip sliding away" We are now in third in the division a point behind the cats :(

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]