The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
monkeygruven

Hurricanes on pace to sneak into Playoffs

The point system is flawed

You can lose 80% of your games and still make the Playoffs

I hate the shoot out and the 1 points that go with the ties. I figured if you lost 80% of your games in overtime or a shoot out, you could still make the playoffs. Something is wrong with that. 80% of 80 games is 64, so you can get 64 points, you win the other 18 games you get 36 pts so for a total of 100 points. That will get you into the playoffs. I know it is a highly unlikely scenerio, but is possibe. And you can count bckwards from there to see other scenerios

Maybe they should give 3 pts for a regulation win, 2pts for an overtime win, and 1 for shootout, or 2 for O.T and shoot out win and either 1 or 0 for the tie.

I hate the shootout, shootouts are for soccer. I have said this before, along tme ago. I think after the 4 0n 4 overtime, I think they should go to 3 on 3, until someone scores. Someone will score usally in a short period of time. It would be very exciting and not come down to a skills competition. If a player gets a penalty on the 3 on 3 it is for 1 minute then that player that get the penalty cannont play anymore in that game They did play 3 0n 3 in the Young Stars game during the All Star weekeend and I thought it was fun to watch. Just blowing off steam on this topic, How many points would the Rangers have gotten off their 8 ties as of this date under a different scenerio, they won I believe 7 out of 8 shootouts, :(

Well, let's look at it this way. The last two years we were strongly in the hunt and at some points the out and out leader to win the conference and then in the last two weeks lost out. Maybe playing the chaser instead of the chasee (sp) will work for us. Kind of like in the cup run. No one expected us to be there.

Maybe playing the chaser instead of the chasee (sp) will work for us. Kind of like in the cup run. No one expected us to be there.

Change that to being the hunter instead of the hunted. Until the Canes give all for 60 minutes for every game, they will not make they playoffs. And in a playoff system where almost 50% of the teams make the playoffs, not making the playoffs is pathetic.

The point system is flawed

You can lose 80% of your games and still make the Playoffs

I hate the shoot out and the 1 points that go with the ties. I figured if you lost 80% of your games in overtime or a shoot out, you could still make the playoffs. Something is wrong with that. 80% of 80 games is 64, so you can get 64 points, you win the other 18 games you get 36 pts so for a total of 100 points. That will get you into the playoffs. I know it is a highly unlikely scenerio, but is possibe. And you can count bckwards from there to see other scenerios

Maybe they should give 3 pts for a regulation win, 2pts for an overtime win, and 1 for shootout, or 2 for O.T and shoot out win and either 1 or 0 for the tie.

I hate the shootout, shootouts are for soccer. I have said this before, along tme ago. I think after the 4 0n 4 overtime, I think they should go to 3 on 3, until someone scores. Someone will score usally in a short period of time. It would be very exciting and not come down to a skills competition. If a player gets a penalty on the 3 on 3 it is for 1 minute then that player that get the penalty cannont play anymore in that game They did play 3 0n 3 in the Young Stars game during the All Star weekeend and I thought it was fun to watch. Just blowing off steam on this topic, How many points would the Rangers have gotten off their 8 ties as of this date under a different scenerio, they won I believe 7 out of 8 shootouts, :(

Great post, I agree, its like the NBA having a free throw contest. the NFL a FG contest or MLB a HR derby. Its not the game and I hate

it.. I like the oT in the playoffs so much better. someone has to win, plain and simple.

I also think you should get ZERO pts for a loss. but that is my take

or if they did not like the way it is played out, I would go back to the way it was before with legitmate ties. It did not

bother me before. the pts system is so inflated now. you need 94 or 95 pts to make the playoffs on most seasons, but

it is not a legitmate 94 pts with the OT losses and shootout losses mixed in..

three on three would be exciting and should produce a winner one would think

All I know is hopefully the merging of Lavs and Maurice's style of play merge's pretty soon. We need to get our act together and go on a winning streak and get 2 points in regulation on a much more regular basis. We are not on our last leg yet but the limp is getting very noticable! :unsure: